How long have you been a member for?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: How long have you been a member for?

My badge says 49 but it's wrong.
I had a Junior membership and Reserved Seat on the wing (directly above what was to become the Animal enclosure) in 1965.
I can't recall exactly but I'm sure I also had a membership (Junior) in both 1963 and 1964 as I definitely recall going to games at the Junction Oval in those years.

Vazelos
Club Player

I have been going since the 80s and on and off as a member but now I have done 9 years straight..

Moods
Saintsational Legend

21 years straight.

Once my beloved Roy Boys went under in 96 i took a year off from barracking for a club, but was always drawn to the Saints via my best mate. Felt strange buying a membership for another club.

My eldest daughter often jokes with me as to why I had to pick the Saints, because she’s now a Sainter too. I tell her it’s a free world and she can change any time. She gets annoyed and says, ‘everyone knows you can’t change dad. I’m stuck with them and you know it.’ 😁

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It's like a religion, or sexual preferences. Extremely difficult if not impossible to change.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

30 character building years.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Kate
Club Player

34 years!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

28 years. Christ, you get less for murder.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2019 1:37pm 21 years straight.

Once my beloved Roy Boys went under in 96 i took a year off from barracking for a club, but was always drawn to the Saints via my best mate. Felt strange buying a membership for another club.

My eldest daughter often jokes with me as to why I had to pick the Saints, because she’s now a Sainter too. I tell her it’s a free world and she can change any time. She gets annoyed and says, ‘everyone knows you can’t change dad. I’m stuck with them and you know it.’ 😁
Well done, Moods.

I'm curious - how'd 2001-2003 feel? I do hope you derived some joy from it; heaven knows we've given you nothing.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2019 6:10pm

Well done, Moods.

I'm curious - how'd 2001-2003 feel? I do hope you derived some joy from it; heaven knows we've given you nothing.
And a follow up...
Do you have an infinity for one team more than the other, real Fitzroy I mean?

Saints go under I pbly become just a casual fan that supports the team on the day that irritates me less

santazzi
Club Player

17 years....and I thought I was waiting for far too long for the holy grail....

I tip my hat and pay deep respect to: Longtimesaint, Kosi, Saintsrising, saint 58, bernard shakey, dr spaceman, bring back mad dog, back from usa, toy saint, mr majic and all sainters in the same league of loyalty as as aforementioned.

older saint
SS Life Member

my card says 36 years but when we had to put it in a number of years ago that was the earliest i could find. Think my aunt bought me from 78 on but can't confirm

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I am a 20 year social club member at the moment but I was 14 years interstate member before that and 3 years full before that again.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

too long

twirlyhair
Club Player

Dud?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

16 consecutive years and off from 1979.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2019 6:14pm
evertonfc wrote: Fri 19 Apr 2019 6:10pm

Well done, Moods.

And a follow up...
Do you have an infinity for one team more than the other, real Fitzroy I mean?

Saints go under I pbly become just a casual fan that supports the team on the day that irritates me less
To answer your question Everton. I was having kids in that era and was still playing footy myself, so thankfully I didn't get to too many games live. I started going regularly in 2004 (some would say that was convenient :D ) but my time started to free up around then. It was that year I truly fell in love with the saints. Roared for the Saints as hard as I ever roared for the Roys and loved every minute of it. Even travelled to Adelaide for the Prelim. In 01-03, I'd become used to following a basket case club, so really it was all very similar. Used to love watching Burkey, Loewe, Harves and even Big Bazza gave me some enjoyment when he was switched on.

And for Skeptic - I liken the love of the Saints to a widower who finds love again. (NOt that I'd know)
My team died and after a few years I fell in love with another team. I never thought I would or could. Many of my mates are sometimes sceptical, as they recall not just mine, but my family's love of Fitzroy. My mum worked at the club and I spent my youth at the Junction Oval from 11am every Saturday morning with my 3 brothers watching the reserves, then seniors in the late 70's, and 80's. I cried when Micky Conlan threaded a goal virtually on the siren in the 86 elimination final to beat the mighty bombers team of that era. I shed a tear when the Saints edged out the dogs in the 09 Prelim, and then again when BJ took that screamer in the 2010 GF cos I thought I was finally going to witness a flag. I stood with my best mate after the 09 GF in the Southern Stand and witnessed him cry for the first time after that game, completely gutted.

Me and my brothers still recall the old days with fond memories following the Roys. Me and my younger brother follow the Saints and will be together watching at the G on Saturday with his sons and my daughter. He loves it too and his 3 x sons also follow the Saints. So to answer your question Skeptic, I love/loved both the clubs pretty much equally. Loved what they have given me and in a sense almost glad that the Saints didn't win the 97 flag. I know that one day will be our turn and that I have now served my dues when they do.....

I reckon if you love the game, if you try hard enough, you can bring yourself to enjoy another team - although having said that. If the Saints ever did go under I really couldn't see myself ever loving a 3rd club. I'd probably just become a professional supercoach player and barrack for individual players......

Hawkesbury Saint
Club Player

7 years interstate membership in Sydney. Died in the wool Sainter since early days watching Glen Elliot, George Young, Brian Mynott , Stephen Theodore, Cowboy Neale, Barry Lawrence and others in '73.

Saints Footy - Let all others follow.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

there’s seems to be quite a strong underlying current of Roy boys having thrown their lot in with us

thats nice of em

good onya’s.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Hiyouall

49 years

Hiyouall

49 years

Hiyouall

49 years

StPeter
Club Player

My first year was 1957 when I went on a ladies ticket for my grandfather's St Kilda Cricket Club membership which could be used by children under 14. I continued until we shifted to Moorabbin when I took out Football club membership. For my first match in 1957 I was taken into the rooms and heard Alan Killigrew's pre-match address. I was so inspired and thought we were in for a huge win. We suffered a humiliating loss but I was hooked on the Saints. My best memory at that ground was Carl Ditterich's sensational debut game along with 3 other impressive debut games by Ian Stewart, Bob Murray and Jim Wallis. Although all the talk was for Carl, I remember coming away from the ground thinking we have found a future superstar in Stewart.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=D ... %2C3165109

My membership has continued every year except 1970 which I spent overseas. My reserved seat at Moorabbin was next to Plugger's mother and sister which made it interesting to always get the latest gossip on Plugger. They would even attend the matches when Plugger was out injured or suspended.

So i have been a member for over 60 years and continuous for 48 years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2019 1:33pm My first year was 1957 when I went on a ladies ticket for my grandfather's St Kilda Cricket Club membership which could be used by children under 14. I continued until we shifted to Moorabbin when I took out Football club membership. For my first match in 1957 I was taken into the rooms and heard Alan Killigrew's pre-match address. I was so inspired and thought we were in for a huge win. We suffered a humiliating loss but I was hooked on the Saints. My best memory at that ground was Carl Ditterich's sensational debut game along with 3 other impressive debut games by Ian Stewart, Bob Murray and Jim Wallis. Although all the talk was for Carl, I remember coming away from the ground thinking we have found a future superstar in Stewart.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=D ... %2C3165109

My membership has continued every year except 1970 which I spent overseas. My reserved seat at Moorabbin was next to Plugger's mother and sister which made it interesting to always get the latest gossip on Plugger. They would even attend the matches when Plugger was out injured or suspended.

So i have been a member for over 60 years and continuous for 48 years.
https://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-03- ... 0-years-on

I was there, in the rooms before and after the game. along with my dad, Graham Kennedy and Joffa Allen.

Laurie
Club Player

Have been a social member for 39 years .
Have seen some great players over the years play for the Red Black and White standing at the outer at Moorabbin Waverley and now Marvel stadium.
Like all sainters it is a premiership i want to see so many heartaches over the years.

stjohnc
Club Player

Won a junior membership in 1963, member definitely in 1978, possible a year before that. Used to go to the club dining room (they served meals back then) to hear the team read out. Stayed after the games for the presentations and dance. Drank (way too much ) at the Hartnell bar??? during the game. Then to waverley and onto telstra/etihad/marvel dome/stadium. One premiership, 6 grandfinals for over 40 years of membership.
Little wonder a person drinks