So how good are we?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: So how good are we?

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 7:52pm I think we're currently a 4-10th team.

In two months, we'll be a 10-14th team.

Those getting themselves worked up are in for a rude shock.

We're Ok, but won't be a contender until next year or the year after.
Agree that it's a long season but have you been following the results of the other games this season? So far its been totally unpredictable.

With the way we’re playing now I don't think there is any reason why we need to wait until 2021 to be a contender.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:03pm That round one victory was just about as close as it could get and like many others I was less than overconfident about our prospects for 2019. BUT..... what I did find heartening was the manner in which our guys scrapped and fought for the win! THAT attitude has been there in every game so far this season. I may be way out of line here, and will defer to those who've been watching AFL longer than I, but (IMHO) the brand of footy being played by our boys is perfectly suited for the pressure and intensity required in finals. Watching our defenders bringing the ball out via handball with quick hands and nimble brains is one of THE biggest improvements overall. I was most impressed yesterday. Yes, we're not ready to be seen (yet) as legitimate "Top 4" material..... but if this level of football can be maintained on a consistent basis, then WHY NOT????
Pretty much on the money Jiggster. It's that type of footy that wins finals and high pressure game. It will be interesting to see if we can maintain it against better opposition and I think the next month might give us an idea.
Dare to dream I say.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:18pm With the way we’re playing now I don't think there is any reason why we need to wait until 2021 to be a contender.
Stranger things have happened. You only need to look at 2016. The Bulldogs looked like a premiership side for five minutes. They haven't looked like a finals side since.
If the cards fall our way, who knows?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I was confident that we would beat Adelaide, but now not so much - they seem to have their mojo back - but it will be over here. Geary will not be available to lock down on Eddie - so he might get off the chain. I am not looking beyond that, except to say that it is easier to win 12 games (and hopefully play finals) from 4-1 than it is from 1-4.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:58pm I was confident that we would beat Adelaide, but now not so much - they seem to have their mojo back - but it will be over here. Geary will not be available to lock down on Eddie - so he might get off the chain. I am not looking beyond that, except to say that it is easier to win 12 games (and hopefully play finals) from 4-1 than it is from 1-4.
I listened to the radio broadcast of the Crows-Suns game. I think you're right to treat the Crows with respect. However, as you point out, the game was at Adelaide Oval, which is probably the Gold Coast Suns least successful ground... the stats rattled off by the commentary team painted a picture of a side consistently being bullied by another! Their record against the Crows is truly AWFUl. So, with that in mind, I think it puts the game into a wee bit more perspective. It was only last week that the Crows were beaten by Norf....... Geelong beat them on their own midden, as well as Hawthorn. Certainly the Crows are a stiff challenge for our boys, but I would think also that the Crows would be looking at the prospect of playing us on our own track, with some nervousness.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:33am
skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Apr 2019 11:16pm That’s the million dollar question.

The nagging concern or doubt I have is that we haven’t yet knocked off a team that’s playing really well. Our biggest scalp was the bombers who have gone on to produce their best footy post us. Are we making teams look bad, is that it? Do ppl think that 5 rounds in as the ladder takes shape that finals is a minimal expectation now?
Are they out of form or playing as well as we are allowing them to?

It’s a great question you raise.
The next four or five weeks will answer it.

Personally I thought we’d be 4/1 at this point in the season, that is 4 losses to one win 😉

Unbelievable turnaround to date.

Can it continue?
I agree with Mr Burns that we stifled and pressured them into submission, that's how we won.

The teams who were 'below their best' aren't some lunchtime indoor cricket team, they have coaches and analysts who are professionals, and the players are fulltime too.
If Roughead, Stringer, Tippa, Heppell et al were sub-par, it's because our pressure, tackling and running all combined into a perfect storm to defeat them.

They had chances to reset and rejig at each qtr break.
But we were the better team on the day.
They weren't out of form, not 22 all at once.
We didn't let them play well.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sun 21 Apr 2019 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Dunno, but we'll be a lot better with Dan Hannebery, Jake Carlisle and Max King.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:58pm I was confident that we would beat Adelaide, but now not so much - they seem to have their mojo back - but it will be over here. Geary will not be available to lock down on Eddie - so he might get off the chain. I am not looking beyond that, except to say that it is easier to win 12 games (and hopefully play finals) from 4-1 than it is from 1-4.
I expect our guys will be able to restrict F50 entries by the Crows, so Eddie might not get much.
Our improved clearance and outside run should be better than Adelaide too, and Lade+Ratten will be sure to have the lads primed before the game, and in each qtr break, to reinforce the message.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 1:48am Win 3 out of 4 and we a premiership contenders.
More like winning 13 of the next 14.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:18pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 7:52pm I think we're currently a 4-10th team.

Agree that it's a long season but have you been following the results of the other games this season? So far its been totally unpredictable.

With the way we’re playing now I don't think there is any reason why we need to wait until 2021 to be a contender.
I have the following as better teams than us:

West Coast
Collingwood
Richmond
GWS
Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong

So unless we drastically improve our skill level and decision making, I have us just missing the 8. If we do improve our ball use and make the most of our opportunities, then we'd possibly jump above Geelong, Hawthorn and Adelaide.

But given our ball use and decision making has been so poor for so long, I'm not convinced we can simply flick a switch and fix it.

I still think that next year is when we'll be a top 4 - 6 team.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 10:03pm Yes, we're not ready to be seen (yet) as legitimate "Top 4" material..... but if this level of football can be maintained on a consistent basis, then WHY NOT????
Well of course if we are top of the ladder in round 20 then it will be a different story.

But the way I see the comp right now, is that some teams have lost a couple of close games and the media and public want to the torch the joint - then teams like us have won a few close ones and the media and public are pre-booking their Grand Final tickets.

We've literally been been 3 kicks away from sitting at 0-4 before yesterday's game.

And we can't forget, that Melbourne were 1-3 with their only win being against Sydney who are also 1-4.

We've clearly improved from last year in some areas (game style, attitude and individual player output) but we still clearly have limitations in key areas. The other thing to note, is that the comp is still finding its feet. Who knows what style each team will be playing in 2 months time? Right now, the way team are playing is suiting us. But it will almost certainly change and time will tell if that will still suit us when it does.

I'm stoked with the start, but I don' think we're in the top 8 teams in the comp.

older saint
SS Life Member

Can only beat who you play. I don't rate us as a top 8 team however if we were to beat the crows this week, which form says we should suddenly we may end up being one.

Was arguing with my son that we wont make finals and we jumped on the ladder predictor in AFL website. Our draw has worked out quite well , and even with us only winning 1 of our next 4 we still ended up between 5-8 , which i found very surprising. Now obviously I don't get 9 winners each week but confidence is a funny thing and with some teams which finished in the middle group last year having a tougher draw who knows.

Teams I rate clearly better:
Coll, WC, Rich, Geel, GWS

Others I had rated above us but not sure now :
Ess, Melb, Adel,

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 5:42pm Can only beat who you play. I don't rate us as a top 8 team however if we were to beat the crows this week, which form says we should suddenly we may end up being one.

Was arguing with my son that we wont make finals and we jumped on the ladder predictor in AFL website. Our draw has worked out quite well , and even with us only winning 1 of our next 4 we still ended up between 5-8 , which i found very surprising. Now obviously I don't get 9 winners each week but confidence is a funny thing and with some teams which finished in the middle group last year having a tougher draw who knows.

Teams I rate clearly better:
Coll, WC, Rich, Geel, GWS

Others I had rated above us but not sure now :
Ess, Melb, Adel,
Port, Brisbane and Freo have improved so I expect they won't be easy beats

The Swannies have also had our measure for years.

While we have confidence, anything is possible but experience tells you some of our younger blokes might have some inconsistency

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It's our duty as non-blue-sky-brigaders to keep a lid on it :wink: 8-)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

You can only beat who is in front of you. So far, we have done pretty well.

Need to remember just how injured our backline is. Roberton, Carlisle and now Geary for a few. At some point, we will hit critical mass with this and lose one by plenty.

So how good are we? Well, we are travelling at 80% right now.

Cant complain. No reason we cannot beat Adelaide on our home deck.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:57pm

West Coast
Collingwood
Richmond
GWS
Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong

So unless we drastically improve our skill level and decision making, I have us just missing the 8. If we do improve our ball use and make the most of our opportunities, then we'd possibly jump above Geelong, Hawthorn and Adelaide.

But given our ball use and decision making has been so poor for so long, I'm not convinced we can simply flick a switch and fix it.

I think the Hawks depth is suspect and are a big chance to miss the 8.

Adelaide have big issues and will miss.

Richmond

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 21 Apr 2019 11:47pm Dunno, but we'll be a lot better with Dan Hannebery, Jake Carlisle and Max King.
Carlisle for sure. The other two are unknown - one an injured old warhorse the other an injured tall forward and highest draft pick since ...paddy.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
farquhar
Club Player

This season is really enjoyable so far. I think the win against Melbourne was terrific.

My glass half empty nature is to say we have done well against teams at the right time to play them. There will be tougher games ahead, however, there is no limit to what can be achieved.

The competition is even and the best team will be the one with loads of fast, young runners through the midfield. We have that.

Time for goal-kicking practice
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Based on pre-season predictions of doom and gloom, I've been simply going along to the games to enjoy the footy. So far, so good. In almost twenty years as a paid-up Saints member, I've learnt to go to a game not "expecting" to win...... but always BELIEVING that we CAN win. Let the top eight positions take care of themselves..... just enjoy the games!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
CARNTHESAINTS

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:57pm

West Coast
Collingwood
Richmond
GWS
Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Geelong

I rate port above us as well, but I also think we are better than hawthorn since they dont have mitchell.

CARNTHESAINTS

beat adelaide and we just have to get wins against carlton 2X, Norf, brissy at home,freo at home, doggies and suns over there and we end up with 12 wins which should mean finals this year looking at how even the comp is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we have moved from spooners to upper middle..massive improvement...thanks Mr Ratten

stkfc1
Club Player

CARNTHESAINTS wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:36pm beat adelaide and we just have to get wins against carlton 2X, Norf, brissy at home,freo at home, doggies and suns over there and we end up with 12 wins which should mean finals this year looking at how even the comp is.
That suddenly dosent look too bad although Freo going ok at the moment. Interesting times if we can maintain the rage. We're probably going to lose one or two of those but we may well beat some better teams also. Its going to be that sort of season.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
35...LEGEND
Club Player

I have us finishing 13-9 and scrapping it out with The Dopers and the Bears for 8th spot.

R16 v Brissy at Colonial…......could be the decider of said 8th spot.

But we could also hit a submerged log and sink completely :?

All opinions of course.