Geary hospitalised over corking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Geary hospitalised over corking

Gearatron will be back. Sometimes a little lay off is a blessing in disguise. We are going to lose more players here and there. Be prepared. Tony75 reckons Brucey is 50/50 for Adelaide.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
George27
Club Player

Tom Morris just reported on On the Couch that it may be season- ending. Paul Roos said he had had the same problem and endorsed that glum view. Bummer.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:28pm Tom Morris just reported on On the Couch that it may be season- ending. Paul Roos said he had had the same problem and endorsed that glum view. Bummer.
Many outside ppl see it as 'just a corkie.' In 25 years of playing footy, my most painful injury was a corkie. Once you get hit in the same spot as a sore spot that hasn't quite healed it's like an egg on a fry pan spreading. The blood spreads everywhere. I recall that I couldn't put on my trousers because my thigh had swollen up so much and they wouldn't fit. I recall nearly fainting in the physio clinic. The physio told me that if the corkie calcifies then I can kiss the season goodbye. As it is I missed 5 games - for a bloody corkie in the thigh!!

I can only imagine the pain and discomfort that Gears is in.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Let's see how good Brandon White and or Nick Coffield are.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

also being mentioned as Compartment syndrome and after a bit of memory searching-- Matty Maguire suffered that after that horrendous leg break.

Whately reported that whole leg opened up to relieve the pressure. photos out there somewhere..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have over corked,, my liver reminds me

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:19pm also being mentioned as Compartment syndrome and after a bit of memory searching-- Matty Maguire suffered that after that horrendous leg break.

Whately reported that whole leg opened up to relieve the pressure. photos out there somewhere..

I know I'm starting to sound like a know all but.... my eldest daughter had sports related compartment syndrome in her calves and was operated on last year. They open you up like a sausage on a BBQ. It's a 12 week minimum turnaround for a pro athlete - but can often be longer.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Selwood with a bit of insight, should start at the right time but 10:50 is when he talks about Geary

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Latest rumours are that Geary could be out for an extended period.

Obviously we await the club's announcement on this.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
carn_sainter
Club Player

They're probably worried about something called myositis ossificans. If there is bleeding into the muscle belly and it doesn't heal properly, the blood can become calcified, which becomes very painful and limiting. Basically a little lump of bone inside your muscle.

Normally 3-4 weeks of rest. Using the muscle or doing much therapy to it can aggravate the condition, so it has to be avoided.

Then he'll probably need a couple of weeks to get fitness back.

All depends on severity...could be 1-2 or 3 months i imagine

SuperDuper
Club Player

good luck to Geary... hope he is back by midyear

i hope White comes in. He is only 22 and i recon he can really show something this year

i think he is one more preseason away from having the tank required to really be a gun but he will get there

We will regret it if he leaves for the hawks at the end of the year

this could be his chance and i hope he takes it

St Loxton
Club Player

Sounds super painful. Hope their is no lasting damage.
I guess its time to see how our future leaders stand up and lead.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Someone must have the photo.

All the media keep talking about the photo. Who has it? Either link on here or PM please. Apparently it is a fkn nightmare.

Was just listening to SEN and they raised a fair point regarding Geary and the possible way to counteract his absence.

Roberton, Carlisle, Geary and probably Brown you would consider to be the absolute monty's of our back six. Well we are missing three. The challenge is right there for all those half backs that we have, and we have plenty. We could come out this week absolutely on fire because of this.

Such a shame he has to have this time away. It was really looking like he had finally grown into the captaincy and made it his own. Some of the things he did on Saturday were absolutely inspirational.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Myron Gaines
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 1:42pm Someone must have the photo.

All the media keep talking about the photo. Who has it? Either link on here or PM please. Apparently it is a fkn nightmare.

Was just listening to SEN and they raised a fair point regarding Geary and the possible way to counteract his absence.

Roberton, Carlisle, Geary and probably Brown you would consider to be the absolute monty's of our back six. Well we are missing three. The challenge is right there for all those half backs that we have, and we have plenty. We could come out this week absolutely on fire because of this.

Such a shame he has to have this time away. It was really looking like he had finally grown into the captaincy and made it his own. Some of the things he did on Saturday were absolutely inspirational.
CH7 interview Joel Selwood last night (I think) & he briefly spoke of Geary’s injury & said he was sent a photo from Geary so it’s getting around some of the players at the very least.

Just google Acute compartment syndrome thigh injury & you’ll see pretty much the same photo. It’s a standard procedure for that type of injury. Warning: it’s horrific.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Just listed to Selwood, great comments on Geary.

I've never heard of compartment syndrom in a limb that has not been broken, it must have been a big hit.

Former saint Dean Greig lost his lower leg by amputation after compartment syndrome set in after a lower leg fracture.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

apparently there is photos doing the rounds in "saints chat" anyone seen?

the dome
Club Player

Take it easy Gears

"Dean Greig lost his lower leg by amputation after compartment syndrome set in after a lower leg fracture.
[/quote]"

I remember Dean Greig back in the day. I was shocked for Dean when I realized the seriousness of his injury.

I hope Dean is going well these days, I certainly appreciated his efforts for the Red , White & Black.
All the Best Dean.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

AFL.com reporting Gears has now been "sewn up" and is expected to be out of hospital in 2-3 days.

Good news.

Sounds like an absolutely horrible procedure.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-26/ ... very-looms

Always loyal
the dome
Club Player

Hoping on a quick turnaround 4 Gears

G O G E A R S :)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Richo article on the Saints website says they expect him running in a few weeks. Seb backed in as Captain.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-04- ... ews-crows
“He’ll be a while, Gears. We all know that he’s been in hospital and had surgery and is still there. He was in better spirits (yesterday), he’s been sewn up now and that’s a really important step. It’s going the way that the surgeons and the doctors would hope, he’ll be out in probably two or three days; we won’t see him running for a few weeks, because the wound needs to heal, but then it’s just a matter of time in terms of how he responds.

“Because it ended up being such a big wound, that obviously takes time. We’re talking about one of the more mentally tough people that I’ve ever been exposed to in my time in footy, which has been a while now, so (his mental recovery) won’t take long.

“He’s quite angry about it and frustrated that he’s not able to lead his team. He’s been driving Seb Ross – who will captain the team – and the other leaders mad, in terms of what the week needs to look like and keeping the blokes grounded, and all that sort of stuff that you’d expect, so he’s still been busy, but he’s got to get himself right.”

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Onya Gears.

Sebs ears will be burning

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.