We Should've Gone Big on Jaeger

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

We Should've Gone Big on Jaeger

I know hindsight is a noble cause but we made a BIG recruiting mistake, IMO, in not chasing hard for Jaeger.

Unlike Shiel, he was there to be had, if a club had the courage to take the gamble.

The Hawks had the cojones and we didn't.

Instead we throw the kitchen sink at a guy that everyone, and I do mean everyone, knows is well past his use by date, hasn't played at all this year and who knows when he will.

Recruiting masterstroke. NOT.

Jaeger was exactly the guy we needed but we dropped the ball. Metaphorically and literally.

I know jumping up and down about this won't change a single thing.

But you have to be smart, daring and good if you want to win a premiership.

I wish we were.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Should've Gone Big on Jaeger

I do not think we were ever in the running for the little Meister!

You can throw what you like at someone - if they are not interested it eventually just becomes unrequited stalking

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Legendary
Club Player

Way to early to make a call. Plus the Hawks gave up much more for Jaegar than we did for Hannebery.

Quote Alistair Clarkson last week:

Clarkson said it would be at least another three years before the O'Meara trade, which involved the Suns gaining first- and second-round picks, could be assessed.

"It [was] a punt. [The] guy had significant injuries. He is going OK for us but the true test will be a little bit like Shaun Burgoyne, the true test of the success of it will be whether it can be five, six, seven years," he said.

"Jaeger is into his third year. He missed most of his first year here whilst we sort of rebuilt him strength wise and he got going a bit last year but even this year he has had to miss a game."

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Op needs to acqauint themselves with the posts ar Saintsational. Looks like theyve been asleep

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

He's also posssibly one knee injury away from the end. Hawthorn have won 3 recent Premierships, thay have more latitude to gamble than us.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i think the ‘moneyball’ theory is more our style

hawks have gone the all in bet

keep fishing the other leagues
... we can sell ‘opportunity’
(and pay accordingly)

imo ooc fwtw

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 5:08pm He's also posssibly one knee injury away from the end. Hawthorn have won 3 recent Premierships, thay have more latitude to gamble than us.
and maybe King? you never really know
the bigger question is why are we not a destination club?
We were during the GT/Butterss era, not really so much during Lyons' tenure and - now nothing nada zilch

Seeya
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 5:08pm He's also posssibly one knee injury away from the end. Hawthorn have won 3 recent Premierships, thay have more latitude to gamble than us.
4 recent premierships plus another in 1991. They have a lot less to lose than we do.

But on Dan; I don't think Hannebury will play seniors this year anyway. He might be alright next season, but I think he, along with Big Jake, and Paddy will join Robbo on the sidelines all season. They might get a game or two at Sandringham but they won't play in the firsts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Are those who think we should have given up two first round draft picks for a talented guy with a very bad knee (who hadn't played for nearly two years) the same group of people who bemoan our choice of Max King? No doubting O'Meara's talent, but two first round picks for that high a risk would have had fans ripping down our new facility at Moorabbin if he hadn't gotten over his knee troubles. He still plays with a heavily strapped knee and misses occasional games because of the tendonitis issues. Bottom line is, he wasn't going to come to us. The irony now for guys like him, Scully, and Mitchell is that Hawthorn is not the powerhouse they though they were walking into. They fell for their past glory. The went for the blonde with the big boobs and now they have to face the realisation that the hair was dyed and the boobs were just two large blobs of silicon. Boo hoo, gold diggers.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

No way. Not worth 2 x 1st picks.

Saints fans would have gone nuclear if we get Jeagar and he barely played. Totally nuclear.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, Nah..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 6:28pm
4 recent premierships plus another in 1991. They have a lot less to lose than we do.

But on Dan; I don't think Hannebury will play seniors this year anyway. He might be alright next season, but I think he, along with Big Jake, and Paddy will join Robbo on the sidelines all season. They might get a game or two at Sandringham but they won't play in the firsts.
But we didn't throw the kitchen sink at Dan. He's well paid, but has not blown our 'warchest' and remember, I think Hawthorn also traded 2 first rounders for O'Meara.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

If St Kilda gave up 2 draft picks for the injured Jaeger I would have been furious.

And I wasn't too happy that we took Hanneberry for $800k and 5 years.

And not overly impressed we drafted 2 injured rookies in King & Bytell.

Hope I'm wrong.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 8:25pm If St Kilda gave up 2 draft picks for the injured Jaeger I would have been furious.

And I wasn't too happy that we took Hanneberry for $800k and 5 years.

And not overly impressed we drafted 2 injured rookies in King & Bytell.

Hope I'm wrong.
Hannebury will be okay next year, in fact he'll probably be a very handy inclusion. Forget him this season.
KIng is playing for Sandringham at Victoria Park this weekend. He could be playing in the seniors after the bye.
Bytel won't play this year. He is highly rated by all accounts though.

wally
Club Player

As I recall he wasn't leaving a loser GC team to go to another "lowly team"

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Didn’t he effectively cost Hawthorn Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Josh Battle and another first round pick to Gold Coast.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 10:16pm Didn’t he effectively cost Hawthorn Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Josh Battle and another first round pick to Gold Coast.
And Coffield.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 10:30pm
Goose is king wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 10:16pm Didn’t he effectively cost Hawthorn Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Josh Battle and another first round pick to Gold Coast.
And Coffield.
Coff was taken with our own pick. Hawthorn traded Brad Hill to Freo for the Chris Mayne compensation pick, which they on-traded to us with their own second round pick and their 2017 first round pick for our first round pick. They then sent our first along with their own 2017 second for JOM. We ended up with Long, Battle and Clark. Gold Coast used our first to match Sydney's bid on Jack Bowes. They ended up swapping that extra second to West Coast in a pick swap and the pick ended up being Liam Ryan.

In the end, Hawthorn gave up a first and three seconds (or Hill/Long, Battle, Clark and Ryan) for JOM. Worth it?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Harves Man
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 7:13pm Are those who think we should have given up two first round draft picks for a talented guy with a very bad knee (who hadn't played for nearly two years) the same group of people who bemoan our choice of Max King? No doubting O'Meara's talent, but two first round picks for that high a risk would have had fans ripping down our new facility at Moorabbin if he hadn't gotten over his knee troubles. He still plays with a heavily strapped knee and misses occasional games because of the tendonitis issues. Bottom line is, he wasn't going to come to us. The irony now for guys like him, Scully, and Mitchell is that Hawthorn is not the powerhouse they though they were walking into. They fell for their past glory. The went for the blonde with the big boobs and now they have to face the realisation that the hair was dyed and the boobs were just two large blobs of silicon. Boo hoo, gold diggers.
I agree - beautifully put!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Jaeger is a good player, but not the great player I would’ve expected for giving up 2 x 1st round picks.
I would’ve much rather have picked up Fyfe or Kelly

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

We were never in the race for jaeger, In fact no one except Hawthorn was ever in the race, it wasn't a option he committed to the hawks before any else knew he was available so saying we consciously decided not to pursue him is in correct, and I don't know how you relate a trade from 2016 to a trade in 2018 either and that there some how related.

avid
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Fri 10 May 2019 11:07pm
And Coffield.
Coff was taken with our own pick. Hawthorn traded Brad Hill to Freo for the Chris Mayne compensation pick, which they on-traded to us with their own second round pick and their 2017 first round pick for our first round pick. They then sent our first along with their own 2017 second for JOM. We ended up with Long, Battle and Clark. Gold Coast used our first to match Sydney's bid on Jack Bowes. They ended up swapping that extra second to West Coast in a pick swap and the pick ended up being Liam Ryan.

In the end, Hawthorn gave up a first and three seconds (or Hill/Long, Battle, Clark and Ryan) for JOM. Worth it?
Wow. That analysis is beyond me. Well done.
If that's what they gave up for O'meara, I'm pretty happy we ended up with most of the balance.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

1. Think.

2. Type.

3. Click Submit.

Like a three word slogan, it should be easy to remember.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

And Coffield.

Spot on, imagine this site if we sold the farm for a guy with a dodgy knee :lol:

I would have gone after Whitfield with our two first round picks as he was damaged goods and potentially gettable at the time, Whitfield and a second rounder or late first in in return.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 9:18am
And Coffield.

Spot on, imagine this site if we sold the farm for a guy with a dodgy knee :lol:

I would have gone after Whitfield with our two first round picks as he was damaged goods and potentially gettable at the time, Whitfield and a second rounder or late first in in return.
We might still get Whitfield. We have the inside running 8-)