Pathetic crowd of only 20K

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Pathetic crowd of only 20K

Sainternist wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 3:56pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 3:22pm 20k was about right... It was a cold s**t Melbourne night against an interstate club with maybe more than half of the St Kilda team missing. It’s very easy to just say... f**k it, I’ll just watch at home. Frustrating game!
The average modern football supporter is softer than ice cream. They get a cushy seat, a roof over their heads and a smorgasbord variety of food and beverage and won't even turn up because it's a cold night. Just hopeless. This insipid commitment only hurts the low-market clubs, like ours. Perhaps these types of supporters should jump on the Collingwood (and other popular fair weather clubs') bandwagons instead.
[

This was an enjoyable win against the Eagles back in ‘92. Didn’t get there until quarter time but gees.... that was a bloody cold day at Arctic Park! I also went to the famous Brisbane game at Arctic Park when it was 8 degrees with hail so thick you couldn’t see anything. Those were the days...

Special
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 3:22pm 20k was about right... It was a cold s**t Melbourne night against an interstate club with maybe more than half of the St Kilda team missing. It’s very easy to just say... f**k it, I’ll just watch at home. Frustrating game!
Wasn’t cold at all for May. Started at about 13 degrees and little wind. Forecast minimum of 11 and no rain.

That’s mild for this time of year.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Special wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 7:02pm
Wasn’t cold at all for May. Started at about 13 degrees and little wind. Forecast minimum of 11 and no rain.

That’s mild for this time of year.
The weathers been dull and shite since Thursday. The club is missing half the team and it’s on channel 7... 20k is spot on.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

hawks only got 14k to their game.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

We were there - we were making noise - but it seemed that the WEagles were making more noise.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 9:18am The trains don’t help. I left the ground right on the final siren at about 9.45pm. Caught the earliest possible Frankston train and didn’t make it back to Cheltenham until almost 11.30pm. Happens every week.
We were home in Carrum Downs at 11:00 (by car) with a stop at Tai Wah - which unfortunately was closed.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:24pm
Special wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 7:31am The players played 80% of the game lacking passion. It seems like they were going through the motions.

Wasn’t aware it was on channel 7. Then again, Kayo is so cheap there is no excuse not to have Foxtel coverage anymore unless you are a serious dumb c***.

It’s crazy that pre season 7 decided to show our game our the Showdown IMO.

Wait until we play our home game against Carlton at ColonialTelstraJihadMarvel Dome - it will seem like an away game, even though they’ll still be stuck on one win!
I think you'll probably disagree with me here, but I think we need a new long term plan for the club.

I'm talking about a 10 year or 20 year plan and we should push the State government and the federal government (along with the Hawks) for a new stadium in the south east of Melbourne. Let's be co tenants like we were back in the days of 90's at VFL Park Waverley

Make it easier for people who live in the South East and live in Gippsland and perhaps the supporters who have struggled to attend games over the last 20 years will flock back to the footy

Dave will hate me now
Hawthorn home ground is the 'G now so they may not want to move but a deal that would see us get plenty of money on game day (a la like Geelong) would be fantastic. It's got to be near a train line and station though (or build a station at the ground - like the showgrounds/Flemington).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Kilda
Club Player

I think to call out fans for not having rocked up is a bit stiff. I’m not sure how many train lines were again sacrificed for bus replacements this weekend but that is a serious reason that would have kept many supporters away.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The game today, Hawks vs Giants, got 14k.
All their members were doing the right thing on Mothers' Day.
At least we didn't get that timeslot :mrgreen:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
outside66
Club Player

Special wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:00am Reckon of the 20K nearly 5K were Eagles fans.

Where the heck are our fans?

Saturday night - great time slot and we have won 4 games this year - not hopeless yet!

What an insipid bunch of fair weather fans we have.

Pies play a useless Carlton and get 69er thousand!
100 percent. People piss and moan about not getting the 'prime time' slots and when we do, they don't turn up. As a collective, St Kilda would have to have one of the softest fan bases in the whole comp. If you actually have a choice between going or watching it elsewhere and choose the latter then I'm sorry but you're rubbish. All the sheep will come when we finally come good but it's the diehards that are keeping our club together.

Groovy Guru
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 4:52pm
Special wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:00am Reckon of the 20K nearly 5K were Eagles fans.

Saturday night - great time slot and we have won 4 games this year - not hopeless yet!

100 percent. People piss and moan about not getting the 'prime time' slots and when we do, they don't turn up. As a collective, St Kilda would have to have one of the softest fan bases in the whole comp. If you actually have a choice between going or watching it elsewhere and choose the latter then I'm sorry but you're rubbish. All the sheep will come when we finally come good but it's the diehards that are keeping our club together.
Well if you serve up rubbish then what do you expect.

I for one will not waste my time watching amateur B graders run around dishing up what I can see at the local footy.

And this is not about winning or losing either, it is all about hope. I have not seen much of that so far.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

When I lived in Melbourne, I went to most games at Arctic Park. Rain or no rain. We could see the bank of clouds moving towards us, and pulled out our raincoats to prepare for the deluge.
I recall guys selling plastic raincoats at a high price, that sold out at qtr time !
Now you have a roof, it's 10x better than Waverley, and ppl refuse to go.
Poor effort.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

It's too far for some and too hard to get to the city for others (train issues, etc). Arctic Park was good for me.

“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Soft as butter as they used to say!

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 9:14am Soft as butter as they used to say!
You ever tried to use butter straight out of the fridge?

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
outside66
Club Player

Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 5:27pm
outside66 wrote: Mon 13 May 2019 4:52pm

Well if you serve up rubbish then what do you expect.

I for one will not waste my time watching amateur B graders run around dishing up what I can see at the local footy.

And this is not about winning or losing either, it is all about hope. I have not seen much of that so far.
You should go to Specsavers.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 4:06pm If we f......en win more the crowd will be there rain hail or shine!!! When you are beaten down all the time, don’t draft properly, get the dregs of the coaches and administration, supporters lose interest.

If the club concentrated on winning games instead of ALL other bulls*** (marketing spin, painful chants on the PA after a goal when we actually score one), etc. etc people might become interested again. As much as people dislike Eddie McGuire, he bends over backwards to ensure Collingwood gives themselves every opportunity. Why can’t we have someone like that. We bend the other way and just cop it all the time.
To be fair - the rot started way before the present administration. Yes - having a McGuire would be wonderful. But the Pies are reaping the rewards of his work done 20 years ago when he first became President. Moving them to the MCG and then Olympic Park was a masterstroke. Meanwhile - we had that dick Archie have a blue with Topsy Petchey which ultimately landed us in Seaford. There's your parallel.

I'd argue that McGuire would be significantly less effective as a President if he was representing a club who owned a $12M debt with an accompanying disenfranchised supporter base.

Go you red, black & white warriors
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hawks drew even less. No one would say Clarko and Hawks track record is responsible.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 4:07pm This was an enjoyable win against the Eagles back in ‘92. Didn’t get there until quarter time but gees.... that was a bloody cold day at Arctic Park! I also went to the famous Brisbane game at Arctic Park when it was 8 degrees with hail so thick you couldn’t see anything. Those were the days...
Yes, I was also there that day. Freezing cold and wet. The passage of play I remember most was when Sumich got pinged for holding the ball after a bone-crunching tackle laid by Danny Frawley. I vividly remember the sheer ferocity of it and all of us Sainters bellowing out an enormous "BAAAAAALLLLLLLL - YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

The fact that it was their spearhead Sumich (rivalling Plugger), whom I seem to recall was held goalless that day, made it all the more joyous a spectacle. It was late in the game then and the game was done and dusted and a thunderous "ST.KILDA - ST.KILDA - ST.KILDA..." chant reverberated right around the stands of Arctic Park and made our hearts sing, warming us up from the cold. It was a great day, indeed. 1992 was a fun season, but it sure as hell got tight in the race for the final top 6 (as it was then). From memory, we actually had to rely on West Coast to beat Carlton in the final round and they didn't let us down. As crazy as it sounds, WCE are the interstate club I dislike the least. I've never had trouble from their fans. They gave Rob Harvey a good tribute one time over at Subi, so I find it difficult to hate on them. They also ran over the top of the Filth in last year's GF, which I was bloody pleased about.

I attended the 1993 game against Brissie at Arctic Park as well. It was bitterly cold and wet. I've actually spotted myself in the highlights reel of that game, waving a big checkerboard Saints flag with the cheer squad. There was another game in 1991 against the Filth where it was so cold, I couldn't feel my hands for most of the day. But it was all part of the experience back then and never really complained about it. I feel sorry for the younger generations in missing out on Waverley, Moorabbin and those other old suburban grounds. There was real atmosphere and it felt electric. One would feel close to the action, too. It was more grassroots footy then. It's a feeling I haven't really experienced ever at Docklands. It's a shame, but I'm thankful I at least got a taste for it at one stage, before it was eradicated by the Evil Empire we call the AFL.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
aaron82
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:29pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 4:07pm This was an enjoyable win against the Eagles back in ‘92. Didn’t get there until quarter time but gees.... that was a bloody cold day at Arctic Park! I also went to the famous Brisbane game at Arctic Park when it was 8 degrees with hail so thick you couldn’t see anything. Those were the days...
Yes, I was also there that day. Freezing cold and wet. The passage of play I remember most was when Sumich got pinged for holding the ball after a bone-crunching tackle laid by Danny Frawley. I vividly remember the sheer ferocity of it and all of us Sainters bellowing out an enormous "BAAAAAALLLLLLLL - YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

The fact that it was their spearhead Sumich (rivalling Plugger), whom I seem to recall was held goalless that day, made it all the more joyous a spectacle. It was late in the game then and the game was done and dusted and a thunderous "ST.KILDA - ST.KILDA - ST.KILDA..." chant reverberated right around the stands of Arctic Park and made our hearts sing, warming us up from the cold. It was a great day, indeed. 1992 was a fun season, but it sure as hell got tight in the race for the final top 6 (as it was then). From memory, we actually had to rely on West Coast to beat Carlton in the final round and they didn't let us down. As crazy as it sounds, WCE are the interstate club I dislike the least. I've never had trouble from their fans. They gave Rob Harvey a good tribute one time over at Subi, so I find it difficult to hate on them. They also ran over the top of the Filth in last year's GF, which I was bloody pleased about.

I attended the 1993 game against Brissie at Arctic Park as well. It was bitterly cold and wet. I've actually spotted myself in the highlights reel of that game, waving a big checkerboard Saints flag with the cheer squad. There was another game in 1991 against the Filth where it was so cold, I couldn't feel my hands for most of the day. But it was all part of the experience back then and never really complained about it. I feel sorry for the younger generations in missing out on Waverley, Moorabbin and those other old suburban grounds. There was real atmosphere and it felt electric. One would feel close to the action, too. It was more grassroots footy then. It's a feeling I haven't really experienced ever at Docklands. It's a shame, but I'm thankful I at least got a taste for it at one stage, before it was eradicated by the Evil Empire we call the AFL.

I share very similar memories as a 9-10-11 year old from those days. The pies game in 91 I remember standing next to the potato van just to warm up. Freeze the nuts off a tractor that day!

The 92 game being referred, Plugger kicked 7 & we kept them to 3 in atrocious conditions. I recall Plugger grabbing one out of the boundary throw in on Jackovich & snapping a goal. They proceeded to go on & win their first flag a few months later.

The Brisbane 93 game was the infamous Paul Peos game with the hailstones. Plugger kicked 11, I remember going out to the car after the game & it deadset looked like snow around all the car wheels & front window

and that's the bottom line
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:29pm But it was all part of the experience back then and never really complained about it. I feel sorry for the younger generations in missing out on Waverley, Moorabbin and those other old suburban grounds. There was real atmosphere and it felt electric. One would feel close to the action, too. It was more grassroots footy then. It's a feeling I haven't really experienced ever at Docklands. It's a shame, but I'm thankful I at least got a taste for it at one stage, before it was eradicated by the Evil Empire we call the AFL.
I love the old suburban grounds although I never went to the JO. It's a pity Moorabbin was razed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 10:59pm
Sainternist wrote: Tue 14 May 2019 5:29pm But it was all part of the experience back then and never really complained about it. I feel sorry for the younger generations in missing out on Waverley, Moorabbin and those other old suburban grounds. There was real atmosphere and it felt electric. One would feel close to the action, too. It was more grassroots footy then. It's a feeling I haven't really experienced ever at Docklands. It's a shame, but I'm thankful I at least got a taste for it at one stage, before it was eradicated by the Evil Empire we call the AFL.
I love the old suburban grounds although I never went to the JO. It's a pity Moorabbin was razed.
You are lucky then. The JO was a shithole.