Until Richo gets the sack we are an ordinaly football team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Until Richo gets the sack we are an ordinaly football team

mbogo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:34pm I am not sure what these admirable qualities and coaching philosophies of Richo's even are ... Someone please inform us all!
Ted and King12, twirly will.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:20pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:17pm
longtimesaint wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:12pm What rubbish to blame Richo.
With at least 4 or 5 players not good enough and the better ones with after effects from illness, Clarkson wouldn’t have done better.
I blame Richo.
it's clear as anything that the side is not being coached well.
Our forward pushes are pathetic..no system.no thought of sideway movement or switching.close the eyes and kick and hope.
our kicking for goal is beyond pathetic..any decent coach would have that drilled into those players and would see improvement over 5 f%$%$#g years
With our current list we are pathetic with or without Richo.
I'd like to test that theory!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:34pm I am not sure what these admirable qualities and coaching philosophies of Richo's even are ... Someone please inform us all!
I asked Cairnsman that on numerous occasions when was on here after he claimed Cho was a ‘great leader’. Not a single leadership quality was nominated. They’re hard to find coz they ain’t there.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Scientifically there is only one variable left against which to test the hypothesis that our list is crap.
I ask one question: what if it actually isn't crap and your assumption of successively poor selections is wrong? What if changing the captain does change the ship from being completely and utterly rudderless?
It's kind of like when people go insane when they are "all at Sea?
oh but it's not the captain ....

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
King12
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:36pm
Steady on Fireman, leave me out of this thanks.

For what it's worth, I already stated that it is time!

Judgement has never really been your string suit though has hit! 😉

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:44pm

sorry I apologise..thought you were an advocate

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I’ve always been pro Richo, and I don’t believe sacking the coach is often the right solution, but today he lost me.

I know there were valid reasons behind a loss today, but a thrashing like that from an average side on neutral territory is unacceptable.

Most supporters can identify the glaring holes in our game plan and the deficiencies in how we play, yet it seems either the coaching staff don’t see it, or their messages don’t sink in to the playing group.

The last six weeks have seen a return of the Saints of 2018. No improvement, no answers, no hope. Scores of 68, 70, 70, 71, 68 & 69 are proof that nothing is changing. The same issues remain week after week. Our list isn’t glowing, but you could even teach litter of puppies to improve their behaviour over six weeks, unless the teacher is no good. And as much as I hate to say it, our club’s teacher is no good.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Beno88 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:49pm I’ve always been pro Richo, and I don’t believe sacking the coach is often the right solution, but today he lost me.

I know there were valid reasons behind a loss today, but a thrashing like that from an average side on neutral territory is unacceptable.

Most supporters can identify the glaring holes in our game plan and the deficiencies in how we play, yet it seems either the coaching staff don’t see it, or their messages don’t sink in to the playing group.

The last six weeks have seen a return of the Saints of 2018. No improvement, no answers, no hope. Scores of 68, 70, 70, 71, 68 & 69 are proof that nothing is changing. The same issues remain week after week. Our list isn’t glowing, but you could even teach litter of puppies to improve their behaviour over six weeks, unless the teacher is no good. And as much as I hate to say it, our club’s teacher is no good.
Sensible comment, makes sense! Also, look after your puppies and don't let them run away! Or get sick!
Last edited by mbogo on Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:49pm I’ve always been pro Richo, and I don’t believe sacking the coach is often the right solution, but today he lost me.

how many people saying the same thing as the above before something happens ???
Richmond supporters at least dumped a heap of $hit outside their club when they had had enough..what do we do ? FA

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Real classy. 👎

f*** this joint can be feral sometimes when emotions run high.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Unforunately, Alan has one of the worst coaching records in history, given his total games coached.

Put aside the disaster in China today. This is about years of substandard development, lack of clear match plan etc..

Please step aside Alan.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think there's only one way this will end, with us missing finals and his contract not being renewed, but with his leadership undermined for the rest of the season.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Our percentage says it all we simply cant kick a winning score and now cant stop quicker forwards. On our current projection we will finish 15th below Sydney. Let's see how we go with another early pick in the draft?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

"I got you Babe...."

Bring back the Lockett era
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Was it nine goals in a row to Port? And the coaching changes while that was happening? But of course that's not Alan's job.
If, as it will be claimed directly or indirectly, we were unable to field a fit team where is the duty of care, reschedule - but the chaps that played were fit enough weren't they, it just a smokescreen. We are told meticulous planning has been in place since November - surely that's not another rubbish story;
Picking forwards that cannot kick between the main goal posts is rather foolish, is it not, but it has been going on for a few years. Not Alan's job to worry about that though.
Newnes, Savage, Sinclair, Young, poor Browny, Kent of the can't kick straight, the deceptive Long (almost looks like he can play in nano cameos); having a third of the team unable to meaningfully compete makes it a bit tough. Any player on our rookie and senior list that cannot get a game should think about retiring or asking for a release - because if you are a worse decision maker, runner and technician than half the guys today you are in the wrong business - but you may also just be overlooked by our genius full of integrity selection methods, which you shouldn't necessarily take to heart.
Of course the Board now knows it has to find a new coach. I hope its a clever process and we get at least some modicum of improvement in 2020, say a median score of 11 goals a game over the season - still crap vis a vis playing finals but a big improvement on the last two years or has Alan had longer to sort the team out.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I have remained relatively neutral so far on the question of Alan Richardson's performance as senior coach, mainly because I am not privy to what goes on in the rooms before and after the game, or during the week. Nor do I know what the players think of their coach, who ultimately have the biggest say on the destiny of their coach. Sure, when the team fails to meet expectations, like they did today when thrashed by Port Adelaide, we all look for reasons, and yes, it is certainly valid to include assessments of the coaching in attributing responsibility for the poor result.

Against Port Adelaide the Saints fielded a team with an average of of 24 years 5 months to Port's 25/1; games played shows that Port averaged 93.5 to Saints 70.5 =- the latter was telling with Port having 6 players 150+ games to Saints 3. So it could be argued that Port had a distinct advantage in experience. Conversely, I believe that Port's 9 players with less than 50 games were far superior to St Kilda's 9, and that was a big factor in today's game from what I saw.

The AFL has in recent years taken a strong interest in the Saints performance, viz the appointment of Simon Lethlean and others - they will be particularly concerned that their showpiece game in Shanghai was once again very one-sided when they expected a close contest.

How all of this will reflect on Alan Richardson's future remains to be seen, but inevitably there will be increased scrutiny by the club's management and board, and given the immense pressure applied by the media and supporters it would not surprise me if he is in fact replaced sooner rather than later.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Farken pathetic crap. Cant kick more than 10 goals is a blight on the coach. He needs to do the right thing and walk.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BarryGrogan
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:19pm The whole club was ordinary today, to just blame Alan is unfair. Several players were not fit and many were left out for the same reason also. As bad as the side was, illness played a massive part - especially when you play in 30 degree heat.
I can't see how that explains the last 5 years though.

The exact same problems remain.

The same guys, that do the same things keep getting picked.
Given that Richo is so 'strong' on selection integrity, it can only mean that they're being instructed to do the things they're doing. I mean, they've been bombing it in mindlessly for 5 years now.

And if they're not, then the coach has dropped the ball by either failing to find a solution, and/or by continuing to select guys who can't or won't follow his instructions.

King12
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:46pm

All good, I was, but it's time!!!!! 😉

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:49pm

The last six weeks have seen a return of the Saints of 2018. No improvement, no answers, no hope. Scores of 68, 70, 70, 71, 68 & 69 are proof that nothing is changing. The same issues remain week after week.
Even when were apparently hugely improved early in the season after 6 games, we still only averaged 77 points.

The writing was on the wall.

Our early season excitement was a false economy.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:53pm Richmond supporters at least dumped a heap of $hit outside their club when they had had enough..what do we do ? FA
Know anyone who owns a truck? The players should be able to provide the rest after the weekend.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

One truly has to wonder at what goes on in the minds of some forumites...

How much worse does it have to get to acknowledge there’s a problem?

Imagine that future...

Rd 13 - 2023, in Jakarta
GC 15.4: 94 Defeated St.K - 5.19: 49

The Saints 15 HBFs accumulated a ton of football but the remaining 7 forward pocket players couldn’t mark any of the long bombs forward.
GC lauded its strategy of putting a scarecrow up in the backline that spooked the Saints as it moved forward.

Rowan Marshall was hospitalised in the 3rd quarter after finally collapsing from the exhaustion of being the lone ruck for the last 7 years with coach Richardson stating that he would consider bring Josh Bruce out of retirement to pinch hit.

A surprisingly optimistic Richo said is was delighted by the amount of football the Saints got but disappointed by the way his chargers used it.
‘A lot pleasing aspects from today’ he was heard to remark, ‘and it’s a part of that Saints football that we’ve been building over the last 10 or so years. I’m hoping that with a little bit more time, that we can recruit some free agents in the off-season... maybe see what Travis Varcoe is doing as we need a classy pocket... and hopefully we can make the 8 and get eliminated in the first round of the finals.

Would be a real career highlight for me’ he said.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:40pm One truly has to wonder at what goes on in the minds of some forumites...

How much worse does it have to get to acknowledge there’s a problem?

Imagine that future...

Rd 13 - 2023, in Jakarta
GC 15.4: 94 Defeated St.K - 5.19: 49

The Saints 15 HBFs accumulated a ton of football but the remaining 7 forward pocket players couldn’t mark any of the long bombs forward.
GC lauded its strategy of putting a scarecrow up in the backline that spooked the Saints as it moved forward.

Rowan Marshall was hospitalised in the 3rd quarter after finally collapsing from the exhaustion of being the lone ruck for the last 7 years with coach Richardson stating that he would consider bring Josh Bruce out of retirement to pinch hit.

A surprisingly optimistic Richo said is was delighted by the amount of football the Saints got but disappointed by the way his chargers used it.
‘A lot pleasing aspects from today’ he was heard to remark, ‘and it’s a part of that Saints football that we’ve been building over the last 10 or so years. I’m hoping that with a little bit more time, that we can recruit some free agents in the off-season... maybe see what Travis Varcoe is doing as we need a classy pocket... and hopefully we can make the 8 and get eliminated in the first round of the finals.

Would be a real career highlight for me’ he said.
Good stuff, Skeptic.

The stench of mediocrity hangs thick over this club.

To attract top-line talent, Richo has to go -- at a bare minimum.

And Brad Scott, Lethlean's mate, won't make any difference -- but would be exactly the sort of decision the current board would make.

Sam Mitchell, Lenny Hayes.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:27pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:46pm

All good, I was, but it's time!!!!! 😉
Glad to see you’ve finally come around Stoney! :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 8:58pm
The stench of mediocrity hangs thick over this club.

To attract top-line talent, Richo has to go -- at a bare minimum.

And Brad Scott, Lethlean's mate, won't make any difference -- but would be exactly the sort of decision the current board would make.

Sam Mitchell, Lenny Hayes.

AGREE 100%

I started a thread on this before I read your post.

We are on the very same page on this issue.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.