LENNY HAYES OR SAM MITCHELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

LENNY HAYES OR SAM MITCHELL

LENNY HAYES or SAM MITCHELL.
This is who I'd like to see as the new senior coach.

However Brad Scott is good mates with Lethlean and I expect once again Lethlean will look after his mates at the expense of the football club.

Brad Scott will probably get a five year deal at around $800,000 a year. :evil:

If Lethlean had his way Dylan Shiel would be a St.kilda player on 1.3 million a year and Max King would not be a St.kilda player as pick four would have been traded away. :roll:
Thankfully Shiel saved this AFL corporate implant from making another poor judgement call.

The Hannebery deal is a total disaster with Lethlean paying way over the odds for his mates son. :roll:

I suspect Brad Scott extracting himself from North Melbourne is related to secret deals going on behind the scenes.

I expect Brad Scott to be St.kilda's next coach and Lethlean will be responsible for this.

I seriously hope I am wrong.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: LENNY HAYES OR SAM MITCHELL

Dan went ok today.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Crossy66
Club Player

Neither. No more promising assistants.
Need an experienced campaigner

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Lenny might be ready

Sam needs at laest 2 more years as an assistant

What's Mark Williams doing next year?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

1. Alistair Clarkson (not going to happen).
2. Luke Beveridge (very doubtful)
3. Sam Mitchell (a tad early, perhaps, but would bring zest and enthusiasm and probably free agents. Followed the Saints as a kid and is mates with Brett Ratten).
4. Lenny Hayes (a tad early, perhaps, but universally admired and would bring zest and enthusiasm).
5. Robert Harvey (not aggressive enough, perhaps, but would bring positive vibes)
6. Brett Ratten (isn't there a feeling that he doesn't want the top job?)
7. Michael Voss.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 10:13pm 1. Alistair Clarkson (not going to happen).
2. Luke Beveridge (very doubtful)
3. Sam Mitchell (a tad early, perhaps, but would bring zest and enthusiasm and probably free agents. Followed the Saints as a kid and is mates with Brett Ratten).
4. Lenny Hayes (a tad early, perhaps, but universally admired and would bring zest and enthusiasm).
5. Robert Harvey (not aggressive enough, perhaps, but would bring positive vibes)
Your top five are exactly my top five but not quite in the same order.
I read your post in the other thread after I started this one.

I'd choose Lenny Hayes or Sam Mitchell as my first two options.
Lenny Hayers and Sam Mitchell are both born leaders who would inspire the players and get the most out of them... I am in no doubt.
Sam Mitchell, would have Clarkson's IP plus his own insights and is younger and fresher than Clarkson.
Besides, Clarkson is unlikely at this point.

I'm quite concerned Lethlean will appoint his mate Brad Scott.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

6. Stan Alves
7. Robert Walls

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 11:08pm 6. Stan Alves
7. Robert Walls
Good left of centre options Ted, but both a little long in the tooth but with far superior records to the incumbent.

Let’s get Walls and he might bring Brice Gibbs back from Adelaide.

Stan Alves 47.8% winning ratio.
More importantly his curve went in the right direction.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp-stan-alves--63

Robert Walls 46.1% winning ratio.
Premiership coach.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp-robert-walls--21

Alan Richardson 34.7% winning ratio.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/cp- ... rdson--100

What is Mike Patterson up to?

Really Bundy? Pretty obvious that was a lame attempt at a joke.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas ? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:17am
What is Mike Patterson up to?
Deceased

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

9. Alan Joyce - ex Hawks coach
10. Slug Jordan

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Roy Race?? ....... (for geriatric expat poms like me!! Who will know who I'm talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 10:13pm Sam Mitchell (a tad early, perhaps, but would bring zest and enthusiasm and probably free agents. Followed the Saints as a kid and is mates with Brett Ratten).
St.kilda should try and extract Sam Mitchell out of Hawthorn.

I think Sam Mitchell has a bit of Trevor Barker about him which is a huge compliment.
When looking for a new coach to replace Richardson, if Sam Mitchell is not on the radar then Simon Lethlean should be sacked for total incompetence.

If Lethlean's mate Brad Scott gets the gig I will be filthy.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

11. Kevin Sheedy
12. John Northy

The list is building...

Total = 1.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 9:13pm LENNY HAYES or SAM MITCHELL.
This is who I'd like to see as the new senior coach.

However Brad Scott is good mates with Lethlean and I expect once again Lethlean will look after his mates at the expense of the football club.

Brad Scott will probably get a five year deal at around $800,000 a year. :evil:

If Lethlean had his way Dylan Shiel would be a St.kilda player on 1.3 million a year and Max King would not be a St.kilda player as pick four would have been traded away. :roll:
Thankfully Shiel saved this AFL corporate implant from making another poor judgement call.

The Hannebery deal is a total disaster with Lethlean paying way over the odds for his mates son. :roll:

I suspect Brad Scott extracting himself from North Melbourne is related to secret deals going on behind the scenes.

I expect Brad Scott to be St.kilda's next coach and Lethlean will be responsible for this.

I seriously hope I am wrong.
And the Russians backed the Coalition!

Saint supporter since '62
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 11:08pm 6. Stan Alves
7. Robert Walls
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 9:48am 9. Alan Joyce - ex Hawks coach
10. Slug Jordan
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:21pm 11. Kevin Sheedy
12. John Northy

The list is building...
What is your point?

I suggest Sam Mitchell should be a top priority to replace Alan Richardson and you rattle off a list of ridiculous suggestions which are somehow meant to be funny ( ? )

I've read many on here think we should sign Ratten as senior coach :roll:
I do not want Ratten as senior coach!
I read someone suggest Rhyce Shaw :roll:
I seriously hope Carlton select Brad Scott as I fear Lethlean will appoint his mate as St.kilda's next coach which would be another huge mistake.

SAM MITCHELL is the man the Saints should be targeting.
I'd also be happy with LENNY HAYES.

Ted, when Alan Richardson is replaced, who do you want to be St.kilda's next senior coach?

Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:27am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 9:48am 9. Alan Joyce - ex Hawks coach
10. Slug Jordan
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:21pm 11. Kevin Sheedy
12. John Northy

The list is building...
What is your point?

I suggest Sam Mitchell should be a top priority to replace Alan Richardson and you rattle off a list of ridiculous suggestions which are somehow meant to be funny ( ? )

I've read many on here think we should sign Ratten as senior coach :roll:
I do not want Ratten as senior coach!
I read someone suggest Rhyce Shaw :roll:
I seriously hope Carlton select Brad Scott as I fear Lethlean will appoint his mate as St.kilda's next coach which would be another huge mistake.

SAM MITCHELL is the man the Saints should be targeting.
I'd also be happy with LENNY HAYES.

Ted, when Alan Richardson is replaced, who do you want to be St.kilda's next senior coach?
I dont understand the strong push for Sam Mitchell or Lenny Hayes. Both are untried and unproven and the reality is the average punter really doesnt know how good they are.
I certainly agree that if they can coach and lead as they played then by all means, but there's more to a senior coaching gig than that.
I would much prefer someone who has a body of work as a senior coach that can be properly evaluated, given where I think we are at the moment. Also would be good if it was a coach that elite FA's wanted to play under. Of the current crop leaving out the ungettables such as Clarko and Buckley, Lyon and Bevo would be worth consideration. Perhaps Richo as Director of coaching and Ratts head coach could be a good transition option.
Of course if Richo has a good back half with afew players back, maybe there wont be a change

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:44am Perhaps Richo as Director of coaching and Ratts head coach could be a good transition option.
Of course if Richo has a good back half with afew players back, maybe there wont be a change
Richardson as director of coaching. LOL
Are you taking the piss?

Ratten as head coach.
WHY?
He has been coach of the forward line this year for starters.

Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:57am
Crossy66 wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:44am Perhaps Richo as Director of coaching and Ratts head coach could be a good transition option.
Of course if Richo has a good back half with a few players back, maybe there wont be a change
Richardson as director of coaching. LOL
What drugs are you on?
Are you taking the piss?

Ratten as head coach.
WHY?
He has been coach of the forward line this year for starters.
So what i threw up was that i would prefer to look at coaches with senior experience and nominated Luke Beveridge and Ross Lyon.
If neither are available, you look at at those with senior experience that are currently assistants, such as Voss, Ratten etc.

I dont think it would be tenable to have Richo at the club in any capacity if a new head coach is appointed, but if we have a good back half of the year and contract conditions are met, its another option. You may remember that was his role at PA when we poached him. But as I said, it would be untenable.
But Just on Ratten, just a few short weeks ago, he was lauded as the mesiah and the reason for our great start. a month is a long time in football :D

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:44am
I dont understand the strong push for Sam Mitchell or Lenny Hayes. Both are untried and unproven and the reality is the average punter really doesnt know how good they are.
I certainly agree that if they can coach and lead as they played then by all means, but there's more to a senior coaching gig than that.
I would much prefer someone who has a body of work as a senior coach that can be properly evaluated, given where I think we are at the moment. Also would be good if it was a coach that elite FA's wanted to play under. Of the current crop leaving out the ungettables such as Clarko and Buckley, Lyon and Bevo would be worth consideration.
I believe Sam Mitchell would be the best coaching selection since Alan Jeans if the club has the smarts to appoint him.
You mention you'd prefer someone with a body of work as a senior coach and you mentioned Luke Beveridge.
I'd be very happy with Luke Beveridge but I don't think the bulldogs would allow this.

Luke Beveridge was an unproven AFL coach when appointed as a senior coach and won a premiership in his second season.
What if the Western Bulldogs administration took your view at the time and reasoned that Beveridge is unproven at AFL level and we need a senior coach with previous experience.
I highly doubt they would have won the premiership in 2016.

Sam Mitchell played a role in West Coast winning the premiership last year.
Why do you think a professionally run club like Hawthorn were keen to have him back in their ranks?
Hawthorn see Sam Mitchell as a successor to Alistair Clarkson.

I see a bit of Trevor Barker in Sam Mitchell and he obviously has footy smarts of his own, Clarkson's IP and natural leadership and motivational qualities.

Crossy66
Club Player

Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 12:50pm
I would much prefer someone who has a body of work as a senior coach that can be properly evaluated, given where I think we are at the moment. Also would be good if it was a coach that elite FA's wanted to play under. Of the current crop leaving out the ungettables such as Clarko and Buckley, Lyon and Bevo would be worth consideration.
I believe Sam Mitchell would be the best coaching selection since Alan Jeans if the club has the smarts to appoint him.
You mention you'd prefer someone with a body of work as a senior coach and you mentioned Luke Beveridge.
I'd be very happy with Luke Beveridge but I don't think the bulldogs would allow this.

Luke Beveridge was an unproven AFL coach when appointed as a senior coach and won a premiership in his second season.
What if the Western Bulldogs administration took your view at the time and reasoned that Beveridge is unproven at AFL level and we need a senior coach with previous experience.

Why do you think a professionally run club like Hawthorn were keen to have him back in their ranks?

I see a bit of Trevor Barker in Sam Mitchell and he obviously has footy smarts of his own, Clarkson's IP and natural leadership and motivational qualities.
You are right that every coach was once unproven. However a proven coach is.. well.. a proven coach and therefore less risk or atleast a known quantity.
I dont know how close you are to Sam Mitchell, but if you are like most people, you make observations from a distance and we have no real knowledge as to whether he will be the next Alan Jeans or whther Hawthorn have earmarked him as Clarkos replacement. I suggest Hawks got him back because he is a good assistant.

I am not saying your gut feel on Mitchell is wrong, just simply saying that a current senior coach is less of a risk and I think our list is at a point where a proven senior coach can take it to the next level. Clarko or Buckley would be ideal, but Bevo or Lyon could be good. Also dont think our club could handle a coaching failure at this moment in time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 1:13pm
Aussie Jonestown wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 12:50pm

You are right that every coach was once unproven. However a proven coach is.. well.. a proven coach and therefore less risk or atleast a known quantity.
I dont know how close you are to Sam Mitchell, but if you are like most people, you make observations from a distance and we have no real knowledge as to whether he will be the next Alan Jeans or whther Hawthorn have earmarked him as Clarkos replacement. I suggest Hawks got him back because he is a good assistant.

I am not saying your gut feel on Mitchell is wrong, just simply saying that a current senior coach is less of a risk and I think our list is at a point where a proven senior coach can take it to the next level. Clarko or Buckley would be ideal, but Bevo or Lyon could be good. Also dont think our club could handle a coaching failure at this moment in time.

Good discussion.

One thing that jumps out at me is our last 2 coaches, despite their experience, don’t seem to be good leaders.
Hayes is someone who built a career around doing everything possible in terms of preparation to get ready... read Mission’s book, he was meticulous in everything he did...
and he was a Captain, spiritual leader and led from the front.

Can’t speak to Mitchell, but I like Lenny as a candidate for those reasons.

I’d take a punt on a guy that has the qualities, the work rate, leadership, professionalism etc and put the experience around him

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The only reservation I have about bringing a past club champion back to coach like Lenny or Harves is that I don’t want us to have to fire them in 4 years if it all goes pear shaped, ala Voss and Hird!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 1:32pm The only reservation I have about bringing a past club champion back to coach like Lenny or Harves is that I don’t want us to have to fire them in 4 years if it all goes pear shaped, ala Voss and Hird!
That's not a reason to exclude anyone. If Lenny can't put together a 'team' of coaches or if we can't support him with an experienced team of assistants, then I think it's a huge risk and there's more risk of it ending bad.

If Lenny thinks he could be ready to take on the role in 2020 we need to make sure that we talk to him NOW.

He's probably not going to spend anytime thinking about a presentation until after GWS finish their season.

Who ever is appointed they need to be supported by competent committed staff. If we go down the path of an untried senior coach he must be surrounded by some very good assistant coaches. We have some already, so perhaps it's just a matter if getting a person who can LEAD and make it all work

Just as a final afterthought...I would be talking to Mark Williams and guaging his interest....and his level of enthusiasm and hunger to want to return to the rigours of senior coaching

ss1986
Club Player

Finally some forward-looking discussion :) This is great.

I think Sam Mitchell would be an inspired choice. As much as I love Lenny, I feel like he isn't sufficiently removed from the playing group/club employees who may need to be hit fair and square between the eyes about where we are and how we are going - Lenny can't hang his hat on 4 flags the way Mitchell can. I don't think that makes Mitchell better qualified per se, but I think it gives him more clout to demand change.

Same goes for Banger.

Mitchell, with Ratts AND Lenny as Asst. Coaches - now THERE is a cracking combo. Wonder what it would cost?