The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

HighettMan wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 8:58pm
damienc wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 8:54pm
HighettMan wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 8:45pm
damienc wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 8:43pm This discussion is interesting, but not wishing to denigrate any or all of the well crafted arguments and opinions, have we not heard it all before, about our coach, in numerous previous threads?

Richo is on borrowed time.

If we lose to the Blues that must be his curtain call. Six straight losses in a row.

And before anyone says yes but some of those losses were honourable and we are missing some key personnel.

BS. They are not reasons. They are excuses.

There is no honour in losing. The honour is in winning.

Only results count. Only results count.

Hang on,I hear you say, if we are playing Carlton, how could we possibly lose to the worst team in the AFL ?

(crickets)
Mate you gotta get a clue. You're very angry and it's making you sound sillly.
You are absolutely right. One of us is completely clueless and I'm pretty sure I know who that is.
You come accross as one of those blokes standing on a wooden box at Flinders Street station shouting at eveyone walking past.
If you are going to insult me at least make it meaningful. That was pathetic and full of typos.

HighettMan
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 9:02pm
damienc wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 8:43pm This discussion is interesting, but not wishing to denigrate any or all of the well crafted arguments and opinions, have we not heard it all before, about our coach, in numerous previous threads?

If we lose to the Blues that must be his curtain call. Six straight losses in a row.

And before anyone says yes but some of those losses were honourable and we are missing some key personnel.

Hang on,I hear you say, if we are playing Carlton, how could we possibly lose to the worst team in the AFL ?

(crickets)
You are absolutely right. One of us is completely clueless and I'm pretty sure I know who that is.
You come accross as one of those blokes standing on a wooden box at Flinders Street station shouting at eveyone walking past.
If you are going to insult me at least make it meaningful. That was pathetic and full of typos.
Didn't mean to insult you, it was a test of your spelling and grammer ability. Just the mad angry thing is funny to me.

Don't be offended.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
damienc
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 9:10pm

(crickets)
Didn't mean to insult you, it was a test of your spelling and grammer ability. Just the mad angry thing is funny to me.

Don't be offended.
Well if it was a test of yours you didn't pass. And this is how you spell grammar.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

There is Cricket Blake, Hawaiian Eye( !959 - 63); Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio (1940); and Cri Kee the lucky cricket, Mulan (1998).
In 1959 Saints finished 8th of 12; 1960 6th of 12; 1961 3rd of 12 (one final, lost); 1962 6th of 12; 1963 4th of 12.(one final, lost)
In 1940 11th of 12.
1998 6th of 16 (played in 2 finals. lost both).

No good asking crickets about Saints winning crucial games and expecting a positive response. All you get is a chirp from the wings. Nothing from the forwards.

HighettMan
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 9:23pm
HighettMan wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 9:10pm

(crickets)

Don't be offended.
Well if it was a test of yours you didn't pass. And this is how you spell grammar.
This is how you spell qwamma. Mate seriously I needed to end this day laughing my arse off so THANK you.

Stay angry!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

why don't you 2 sheilas get a room and bitch slap each other and leave us out of it.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

HighettMan
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 9:45pm why don't you 2 sheilas get a room and bitch slap each other and leave us out of it.
We are just having a bit of fun. Misogynistic behavior towards women is a very ugly look.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 May 2019 7:18pm here is an excerpt from Roos Book

"Gosh if people could have seen what we invested in it. The way we played under Ross Lyon was a brutal,incredibly taxing game style,with such a strong emphasize on everyone being accountable defensively. Even when we won the first 19 games 2009 it never felt easy, because we were investing so much from a preparation point of view. But once the momentum kicked in, it was like a tidal wave that couldn't be stopped.
The mental preparation that went into conditioning every player-knowing where to be on the grd in every scenario, how he should approach each contest , where to take the ball and how to move it up the ground. - was terribly time consuming but it bought results."

I guess Richo's style is less taxing. :(
Then in 2010, the defensive side of things went out the window - there were games where we applied no forward fifty tackling - zero, zilch - and there were games where we let the half-back lines of the opposition sides run amok.
Harbrow had 40 odd possessions against us in a final - likewise, Thomas, Shaw and Harry O'Brien ran and rebounded at will against us, and gathered heaps of possessions between them. This happened in all-important finals.
Is that being accountable defensively?

Gosh, Roo .. what happened to Lyon's emphasis on team defence in 2010 and 2011??
And Roo, how would Lyon be going coaching our present list with no A graders, the poorest midfield going around - and heaps of injuries to important players?

HighettMan
Club Player

I've been thinking about the topic of this thread and I wondered if coaches sit around thinking the biggest issue they have is d**khead supporters.

Wouldn't it be funny if they sit around posting on thier own coahes forum's bitching and sooking about thier supporters.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

HighettMan wrote: Wed 22 May 2019 11:49am I've been thinking about the topic of this thread and I wondered if coaches sit around thinking the biggest issue they have is d**khead supporters.

Wouldn't it be funny if they sit around posting on thier own coahes forum's bitching and sooking about thier supporters.
Lol.

I don't think the coaches really care about the odd keyboard hero to be honest. I find it haliruos some supporters are obsessed with Alan and practically mention him in every thread no matter how obscure the link. If only they saw it through other peoples eyes. 😂

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
samoht
Saintsational Legend

I want to see a thread for once subject-titled: "The BIGGEST issue with our recruiting", or something similar - to bring some balance and perspective back - as recruiting is really our biggest issue.

Hawthorn is now talking to Coniglio - what are we doing, navel gazing and obsessing about our coach?

Josh Battle
Club Player

Wouldn't it be funny if a coach lost faith in his players and started blamimg his players for ALL losses

Wouldn't it be funny if the coach let the players take over and work out their own game plan during the year

Wouldn't it be funny if the coach had nfi how to turn things around and the club decided to support him anyway

Wouldn't it be funny if a four times best and fairsest had asked to be traded because he lost faith in the coach

Wouldn't it be funny if a club decides to send a coach on a management and leadership course after he's been head coach already for over 5 years

Wouldn't it be funny if a coach has no idea what his captain thinks after that coach has been at the club for over 5 years

Josh Battle
Club Player

Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't all true...wouldn't it be funny if it was another club and not the one we support

OK the bit about Stuv hasn't been made public or been verified but everything else is

Very sad
Last edited by Josh Battle on Wed 22 May 2019 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

"Coniglio, Coniglio, Coniglio" has a nicer ring than "Alan, Alan, Alan." :wink:

Wouldn't it be funny if we started landing some big fish, as the Hawks and other successful sides have been doing for years - instead of just relying on the "hit and miss" draft where you can end up squandering your number 1 pick?

Wouldn't it be funny if we get most of our injured players (and the "indefinites") back and firing, and we end up winning the last 6 games in a row?

What's "true" without context is in fact "false".

Josh Battle
Club Player

When are you going to start a thread that says: "Cho is going to be a premiership coach"

Or..." I believe Richo is going to lead us into finals"

Or..."Richo is made of the right stuff"

The fish pond is currently unhealthy and there's a Cho swimming in it that scares away potential big fish.... get rid of that unhealthy Cho and watch what happens

samoht
Saintsational Legend

My last post on this divisive topic. I'm trying to use some logic, but to no avail it seems.
(and I won't respond to posts that cite this post).

I think AFL coaches are a nil all draw - and the players receive more than enough training drills and support and advice from many coaches (it's not only about the head coach) to hone their skills and reach their full potential - but it's really up to the players themselves to develop.
Some do, some don't - Armo can find the ball but still can't handball accurately and Gilbert still can't kick accurately.

A kick up the bum will not improve Armo's or Gilbo's skills - poise is poise, it's composure under pressure, you either have it or you don't.

For us to play finals we will need better luck with injuries and better recruiting.
Surely, you can't disagree with that, Josh Battle? - and I like the way you're developing (or more accurately, your namesake is developing) by the way, but you do have poise about you - I've got to give you that.

We did very well in 2016 and 2017, without Ratten and Slater, etc. - as well as can be expected, considering our below-average midfield which is very low on poise and skills. We did have better luck with injuries, of course.

Our midfield was ranked 17th this year for good reason - and that's with Steven in it.

We need to do what Freo and the Hawks etc.. are doing.
Freo finally saw the light and recruited Brad Hill, Matera and Hogan to improve their delivery into their F50 and goal kicking, and the Hawks are now talking to Coniglio, and are looking to add him to their lineup, alongside other big fish they've been recruiting on a regular basis.
That's how you improve - and this is what we should be doing. It's not only about the hit and miss draft - where you could end up squandering your no. 1 pick - you need to also land big fish.
That's how we'll improve - scapegoating coaches, and we're champions at sacking one after the other (but where has it got us?) would only be barking up the wrong tree, once again.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

"Gosh if people could have seen what we invested in it. The way we played under Ross Lyon was a brutal,incredibly taxing game style,with such a strong emphasize on everyone being accountable defensively. Even when we won the first 19 games 2009 it never felt easy, because we were investing so much from a preparation point of view. But once the momentum kicked in, it was like a tidal wave that couldn't be stopped.
The mental preparation that went into conditioning every player-knowing where to be on the grd in every scenario, how he should approach each contest , where to take the ball and how to move it up the ground. - was terribly time consuming but it bought results."

Can't believe I'm saying this...

But if we had the chance to sign Ross Lyon, I'd do it.

:shock:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Crossy66
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 4:24pm

Can't believe I'm saying this...

But if we had the chance to sign Ross Lyon, I'd do it.

:shock:
Worthy of serious consideration. Perhaps he could assemble a few of his old charges as assistants i.e. Lenny, joey, etc.
I think we have a a good foundation list thats ready to build on with an experienced campaigner. Bevo is the other worth chatting to.
Coming up to 7 years with Freo, and listening to their supporters, I feel he could be turfed out if they dont make finals. Coming back to Melbourne may suit.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No effing way. The guy is a liar and a loser who cost us two flags and a former captain, not to mention a couple of forward flankers who he wouldn't play.

And who flosses their teeth on national television. No frigging class I say.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

Answer:

His name is Allan Richardson.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Nothing personal with AR, but he aint highly rated amongst his peers anymore(from a coaching perspective)

nw7
Club Player

The biggest issue with our coach this year is that he overates certain players on our list and therefore doesnt look to develope players that can overtake them and make us a better team even though it could be a short term step back. An example is Newnes. He has reached his highest level we should be playing Clarke, White or Coffield instead of him, they will reach a higher level and make us a better team.

older saint
SS Life Member

nw7 wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2019 7:30am The biggest issue with our coach this year is that he overates certain players on our list and therefore doesnt look to develope players that can overtake them and make us a better team even though it could be a short term step back. An example is Newnes. He has reached his highest level we should be playing Clarke, White or Coffield instead of him, they will reach a higher level and make us a better team.
Same for last 2 years. If not Newnes it was Mav Weller, or Savage ( who is better this year) . Rose coloured glasses for some, easy option to drop others, younger less experience players.
Look at Richmond- dropped Ellis early in the year has pulled finger out come back and been in best most weeks. Gibbs not doing team things - dropped, Good clubs make hard decisions bad ones make easy decisions

twirlyhair
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 05 Jun 2019 4:52pm The BIGGEST issue with our coach.

Answer:

His name is Allan Richardson.
Wow. Awesome contribution.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 11:24am
nw7 wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2019 7:30am The biggest issue with our coach this year is that he overates certain players on our list and therefore doesnt look to develope players that can overtake them and make us a better team even though it could be a short term step back. An example is Newnes. He has reached his highest level we should be playing Clarke, White or Coffield instead of him, they will reach a higher level and make us a better team.
Same for last 2 years. If not Newnes it was Mav Weller, or Savage ( who is better this year) . Rose coloured glasses for some, easy option to drop others, younger less experience players.
Look at Richmond- dropped Ellis early in the year has pulled finger out come back and been in best most weeks. Gibbs not doing team things - dropped, Good clubs make hard decisions bad ones make easy decisions
Yes & Yes. Add the selection of injured players or those returning from injury. Port were more than happy to make Wines come back through the SANFL. We select Geary immediately. Geary looked out of it before his unfortunate injury whilst White tore it up again!
Wines is a top 6 Port player. I'm not sure where Geary is ranked for St Kilda, if he is top 6 then our list is in a world of pain.