If you're wondering why we're in China ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

If you're wondering why we're in China ...

Gillon McLachlan: “Port Adelaide and St Kilda are both making nearly a million dollars. It’s not costing anything. It breaks even for the AFL and the clubs are making money.
Two words 'million' and 'dollars'

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: If you're wondering why we're in China ...

I thought they were there for dim sum

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

If you put it like that it’s almost worth being spanked in front of 1.4 billion people

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Mr and Mrs Fa Kin Su Pa agree! 😁💵🏮

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

magnifisaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:31pm I thought they were there for dim sum
certainly a starting point for a mid season international holiday for the players

I would think only a fool would think we are doing china for anything but the money once again saving our financial backsides
A few supporters are probably deluded enough to think it will be good for the club in other means
Simple fact is stkilda has not done the brand any good by playing in
Tasmania
New Zealand
and now China

Seeya
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We make zero money at Docklands, so why the hell would you knock back a million bucks in Shanghai. The whole AFL competition is skewed toward the clubs with the biggest following. TV broadcasters want those clubs shown at prime times so they can maximise their advertising revenue. Those clubs get richer and stronger as a result. It then becomes a feedback loop, with the likes of St Kilda, the Bulldogs, PortAdelaide, and North Melbourne being permanently kept out of thar loop. So how to you grow your brand and raise more revenue? You go to Shanghai. It's not ideal, but it's a reality brought about by a long term strategy by the AFL to maximise profits through broadcast rights. We are the collateral damage

suss
Club Player

I think the hope is that we might also get a few more sponsors that we wouldn’t ordinarily get access to.

It might take a while to see these other benefits flow through but hopefully it will happen.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:44pm If you put it like that it’s almost worth being spanked in front of 1.4 billion people
I do that most nights for nothing🙄😂

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:50pm
magnifisaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:31pm I thought they were there for dim sum
certainly a starting point for a mid season international holiday for the players

I would think only a fool would think we are doing china for anything but the money once again saving our financial backsides
A few supporters are probably deluded enough to think it will be good for the club in other means
Simple fact is stkilda has not done the brand any good by playing in
Tasmania
New Zealand
and now China
I thought we were an anytime, anywhere side?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

suss wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 3:55pm I think the hope is that we might also get a few more sponsors that we wouldn’t ordinarily get access to.

It might take a while to see these other benefits flow through but hopefully it will happen.
Correct. We were supposed to have a standalone sponsor for the Shanghai game but it apparently fell through at the last minute.

Go you red, black & white warriors
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I live in Perth, and we don't get much on free to air TV, other than the obvious games against the 2 WA teams.
We hardly ever get on otherwise. Ch7 would rather show WAFL than one of our matches.
But they're happy to show Geel vs Hawks, as well as most Tigers games.
Us, Norf, Doggies, n Bluescum get little love from the broadcaster.

I get it on AFL Live App for free, unmetered, because I'm a Telstra customer

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
older saint
SS Life Member

$1,000,000 we don't have the ask for from the AFL... why did we have to give up a home game again?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 6:38pm I live in Perth, and we don't get much on free to air TV, other than the obvious games against the 2 WA teams.
We hardly ever get on otherwise. Ch7 would rather show WAFL than one of our matches.

Should get foxtel, then you get all 9 matches each week plus the cricket, 360 and on the couch. Worth every penny and I wouldn't go without it.

You also get to watch it on a big screen. and not some crappy little hand held device.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 7:22pm
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 6:38pm I live in Perth, and we don't get much on free to air TV, other than the obvious games against the 2 WA teams.

Should get foxtel, then you get all 9 matches each week plus the cricket, 360 and on the couch. Worth every penny and I wouldn't go without it.

You also get to watch it on a big screen. and not some crappy little hand held device.
I can't afford Foxtel until late July- that's my final car payment. I might sign up then.
My rental already has the Foxtel points (x2)

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 7:43pm

I can't afford Foxtel until late July- that's my final car payment. I might sign up then.
Go for it mate, go for it. You won't be sorry.

KingSaint
Club Player

Am in Shanghai at the moment...unfortunately could not make it to the game. But Shanghai is a great city to visit...if nothing else,, I would highly recommend a holiday here...during the northern summer. Personally, I would love it if we have a game here once a year. But given our performance last weekend...not sure we will be invitex again. We seem to have a habit of saving our worst performances for marquee games of late

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

KingSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:00pm Am in Shanghai at the moment...unfortunately could not make it to the game. But Shanghai is a great city to visit...if nothing else,, I would highly recommend a holiday here...during the northern summer. Personally, I would love it if we have a game here once a year. But given our performance last weekend...not sure we will be invitex again. We seem to have a habit of saving our worst performances for marquee games of late
Did I read somewhere that we're committed to China until 2021, a 3 year deal?
Maybe Port could send over a B-Side, nobody would know and the game would actually be much closer

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Or Kayo Sports if the basic FOXTEL package is too much. Smart TV or a Google Chromecast and you can watch on a TV.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:31pm
KingSaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:00pm Am in Shanghai at the moment...unfortunately could not make it to the game. But Shanghai is a great city to visit...if nothing else,, I would highly recommend a holiday here...during the northern summer. Personally, I would love it if we have a game here once a year. But given our performance last weekend...not sure we will be invitex again. We seem to have a habit of saving our worst performances for marquee games of late
Did I read somewhere that we're committed to China until 2021, a 3 year deal?
Maybe Port could send over a B-Side, nobody would know and the game would actually be much closer
Yep, 3 years :cry:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather us being involved in something innovative than nothing at all. I for one embrace this.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Don't get two set top boxes unless you want to watch two separate programs at the same time in different rooms.

Get an active HD HDMI splitter and connect each TV with an HDMI cable.
To control from a remote use a infrared sensor with active repeater extender, Cat 5 cable to an infrared extender to an infrared emitter placed in front of the set top box.
Buy at Jaycar Electronics
For those who live near Moorabbin buy at 315 Warrigal Rd Cheltenham
You can buy extra Foxtel remotes on line.
Simples

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

You need to remember who is saying this.

Gill is required to put a positive spin on this. At no point did he say “EACH”!!!!

Us and Port probably do make $1M, together, and cause it’s Kochie’s baby, I reckon the split is probably 80/20.

Here’s an idea, if Port are so keen to play up there - we sell our home game vs Port to Adelaide Oval, and take the whole gate. Then play Port away in China. There’s no doubt we make more cash that way.

theoracle
Club Player

"Gill is required to put a positive spin on this. At no point did he say “EACH”!!!!"

He said 'both' clubs making nearly a mil. My understanding of 'both' here = 'each'.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 11:50pm I'd rather us being involved in something innovative than nothing at all. I for one embrace this.
I, and many like me don't because we never turn up in any any of these stupid matches.
I cite the following as evidence:
Not preparing properly for the China match
Not being properly prepared for North in the Good Friday match
Never winning any of the following:
Games in Wellington
Pride Matches
Failing in Tassie despite having arguably the strongest team in our history, including one of the best League footy has ever seen in Roo.
With all of these public failures to perform on the big stage we lose, not gain, potential supporters and sponsors.

Recently that breach of duty has fallen to AR - but a lot of these past failures are also historical.
He should've admitted that the club and management of the club completely stuffed up the China match with their ill-preparation.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

But we can't just not participate in any initiatives on the assumption that we'll stuff up and lose the game. Got to have a little bit of positivity or we'll lose every game - not just the high profile ones.