Saints must get Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints must get Ross Lyon

The Fireman wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:25am
mbogo wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:23am
sunsaint wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 10:36pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 10:18pm Never ceases to amaze me how much ppl attribute our circumstances to bad luck.

Funny how good look seems to coincide with good decision making whilst we remain cursed.
Agreed
He has lost three grand finals with the seasons best teams by
It wasn't a fluke or had luck that he lost
What I find hilarious in this thread is that somehow there is an assumption that we are currently on a better path than the one that Ross Lyon took us on. You have got to be f****** joking!
But why even raise it!?
we have some very funny supporters... makes ya wonder maybe that's why we are where we are.
ListManager is a supporter?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Crossy66
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 6:43am
skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 10:18pm Never ceases to amaze me how much ppl attribute our circumstances to bad luck.

Funny how good look seems to coincide with good decision making whilst we remain cursed.
Agreed
What I find hilarious in this thread is that somehow there is an assumption that we are currently on a better path than the one that Ross Lyon took us on. You have got to be f****** joking!
But why even raise it!?
we have some very funny supporters... makes ya wonder maybe that's why we are where we are.
Would it change your view if nick reiwoldt thought Lyon would be the best choice?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Nick reiwoldt thought AR was the best choice or he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 9:47pm
ListManager wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:25pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 7:49pm Look, I don’t hate everything you post LM, and tbh I’ve groen to at least appreciate that you post new ideas, but this is just a joke.

Surely you’re stirring.

RL stuffed the list and screwed us in the process...

I wouldn’t trust him to see the process through
I'm not joking or stirring skeptic. It was only bad luck that stopped him from winning 2 premierships with the Saints. I know he left us in the lurch but he was just looking after his family. He was in a bad way financially at the time. He nearly got a flag for the Freo rabble that's how good he is. Now he has rebuilt Freo (already), and they are poised again to challenge. This time I reckon he will win that elusive flag. You / we may not like him but believe me he is a Master coach.

The Saints have just about all the building blocks in place to be a really good team. Lyon would bring that to fruition I have no doubt. The only question is would he consider coming back? Probably not unfortunately.
Agree. Aside from Clarkson, also Fagan looks OK, he would be my choice amongst existing coaches. In charge of Saints when only bad luck cost us a flag, got Freo to a GF, and has now rejigged the game plan and Freo going pretty well again.
Would be the right man to take over at our stage. Just because some posters don't like the way he left (Saints were also not blameless in that scenario), and think the wrong players were picked for the finals, (how would they know whether that would have made any difference?), doesn't mean he is not a good coach. Very little chance of coming across though, but you never know.
I don't know about Raph Clarke but he picked a useless player at full back who had been in hospital the night before on a drip, over Max. I saw Max the next day at the dome. He was devastated. Lyin is a tosser.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 9:13am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 6:43am

Agreed
But why even raise it!?
Would it change your view if nick reiwoldt thought Lyon would be the best choice?
Why don’t we also ask premiership player Luke ball for his opinion whilst we’re surveying former players!

ListManager
Club Player

You know what make me laugh? The same people who bag Ross Lyon and don't want him back are probably the same people who think Richo is doing ok. By the way, it's those same people who actually think we might sneak into the top 8 this year. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintadamski wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 9:31pm Lyon lost the grand final in 2009 by picking one of the worst players in Saints history - Raphael Clarke , instead of a brilliant Saints legend Max Hughton...

I've never forgiven him since, and think he's an arrogant narcissistic pig.

Not interested
It was too late by the GF to bring Hugdton in. Aside from an early free kick there was nothing wrong with Clarke's game.

Hudgton should have replaced Dawson in the last few H&A games.

ListManager
Club Player

And if I can add one more thing. If we can't get Lyon I would get Robert Harvey. I don't care what others say, her is more than ready. If nothing else it would create the best vibe around the club and supporters in close to a decade. Our membership would immediately spike up to 50,000 members. That alone has to be a good thing.

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ListManager wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:41pm You know what make me laugh? The same people who bag Ross Lyon and don't want him back are probably the same people who think Richo is doing ok. By the way, it's those same people who actually think we might sneak into the top 8 this year. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think its too early to call on Richo, given our incredible injury List (look at Richmond).

However, I don't get people's view on Lyon. On results, he's the second best Coach in the Club's history. I also liked GT, but he had a far better List than Lyon did.

If we were looking for a new Coach, the whole world would want Clarkson, for me the next in line would be Lyon, easy.

Sure he was ruthless in his departure. The fact is, he should have been locked into a 4 year contract within a week of the 2010 GF replay. He wasn't afforded that respect. When he approached the Club in April 2011 requesting a deal (inferior to his eventual Freo deal) the Club fobbed him off. They wanted to be able to sack him in 2011 or at least drive his price down. A cunning plan by Westaway and Nettlefold (the second highest paid CEO in the game). That worked out well!

If we did need a new Coach, I'd be inclined to communicate to Lyon my apologies and embarrassment about his departure. Then invite him to finish the job.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

ListManager wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:41pm You know what make me laugh? The same people who bag Ross Lyon and don't want him back are probably the same people who think Richo is doing ok. By the way, it's those same people who actually think we might sneak into the top 8 this year. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Chill bud. Footy is just a bit of fun and we all support the same club after all. And at the end of the day, unless you’re around the playing group and inner sanctum everyday, none of us really know what the f**k is going on.

saintadamski
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 12:42pm
saintadamski wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 9:31pm Lyon lost the grand final in 2009 by picking one of the worst players in Saints history - Raphael Clarke , instead of a brilliant Saints legend Max Hughton...

Not interested
It was too late by the GF to bring Hugdton in. Aside from an early free kick there was nothing wrong with Clarke's game.

Absolute BS ...Hughton was ready to rock.

Nothing wrong with Clarke's game??! Surely I didn't just read that... it's impossible that I just read that!!!... simply speechless.

I'll never forget Raph Clarke's first kick in AFL footy... straight into the man on the mark... And it just got worse after that.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

:shock: Yeah, and don't get me started on Davenport...

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

saintadamski wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 1:29pm

Not interested

Nothing wrong with Clarke's game??! Surely I didn't just read that... it's impossible that I just read that!!!... simply speechless.

I'll never forget Raph Clarke's first kick in AFL footy... straight into the man on the mark... And it just got worse after that.
To be fair, Ralph probably played his best game for the club the week before in the Prelim. so, it would have been pretty hard to drop him at the time.
Why he chose to play Dawson who had gastro and was on a drip that morning is what I wonder sometimes.... but hey... it wasn’t the defenders that missed all the gimme goals that day. ***Sigh.... looks off into the distance with glazed eyes***

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Always thought playing Dempster in the forward line in the 09 GF was a masterstroke. It worked so well he tried it again in the 2011 Elimination Final.

:roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
takeaway
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 11:16am
skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 7:49pm Look, I don’t hate everything you post LM, and tbh I’ve groen to at least appreciate that you post new ideas, but this is just a joke.

Surely you’re stirring.

I'm not joking or stirring skeptic. It was only bad luck that stopped him from winning 2 premierships with the Saints. I know he left us in the lurch but he was just looking after his family. He was in a bad way financially at the time. He nearly got a flag for the Freo rabble that's how good he is. Now he has rebuilt Freo (already), and they are poised again to challenge. This time I reckon he will win that elusive flag. You / we may not like him but believe me he is a Master coach.

The Saints have just about all the building blocks in place to be a really good team. Lyon would bring that to fruition I have no doubt. The only question is would he consider coming back? Probably not unfortunately.
Agree. Aside from Clarkson, also Fagan looks OK, he would be my choice amongst existing coaches. In charge of Saints when only bad luck cost us a flag, got Freo to a GF, and has now rejigged the game plan and Freo going pretty well again.
Would be the right man to take over at our stage. Just because some posters don't like the way he left (Saints were also not blameless in that scenario), and think the wrong players were picked for the finals, (how would they know whether that would have made any difference?), doesn't mean he is not a good coach. Very little chance of coming across though, but you never know.
I don't know about Raph Clarke but he picked a useless player at full back who had been in hospital the night before on a drip, over Max. I saw Max the next day at the dome. He was devastated. Lyin is a tosser.
He (and the selection committee) didn't pick Max, and you think he's a tosser, so he's not a good coach? Ok then.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 1:41pm

Not interested

To be fair, Ralph probably played his best game for the club the week before in the Prelim. so, it would have been pretty hard to drop him at the time.
Why he chose to play Dawson who had gastro and was on a drip that morning is what I wonder sometimes.... but hey... it wasn’t the defenders that missed all the gimme goals that day. ***Sigh.... looks off into the distance with glazed eyes***

Ralph’s gf wasn't great but he saved us in the Prelim. We may not have not got there if it wasn't for his drive off HB as the dogs were all over us.

Some people have NFI about footy (not you).

Max hadn't played for weeks so it would gave been a big risk.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 1:51pm
saynta wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 11:16am

Surely you’re stirring.

He (and the selection committee) didn't pick Max, and you think he's a tosser, so he's not a good coach? Ok then.
Yep. You got it right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not interested

The tosser took one of our better players off in the third quarter, and according to him, forgot to play him in the 4th. The player, a former captain was so pissed off he joined the filth and the next year was one of their better players in the drawn grannie. Unforgivable on the part of Lyin imhfo,

saynta
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 1:26pm
Chill bud. Footy is just a bit of fun and we all support the same club after all. And at the end of the day, unless you’re around the playing group and inner sanctum everyday, none of us really know what the f**k is going on.
Not so sure about us all supporting the same club. Trolls are known to come on here pretending to be saints supporters so that they can s*** on the club.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 2:03pm

Not interested

The tosser took one of our better players off in the third quarter, and according to him, forgot to play him in the 4th. The player, a former captain was so pissed off he joined the filth and the next year was one of their better players in the drawn grannie. Unforgivable on the part of Lyin imhfo,
Yep - along with the IP Max took with him too. I thought it was super tough on Max. I seem to remember the Herald Sun published a poster on GF day begging Lyon to let him play.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I'm not inner sanctum but here are my truths
RL was/is a good pre game h/a coach he is not a good finals coach -no plan b
He would play his preferred list in a wheelchair than those on the outer regardless of form, and even limit and squash natural ability ie Luke Ball
After 4 years in the job at a club a coach has moulded & recruited the type of players he wants

Seeya
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Not interested

Yeah... Ross seems to get blinded by his ego sometimes doesn’t he. All the conditions suited Ball that day and he was playing great... and Goddard stayed on the ground with a broken nose and collarbone... I try not to let myself think about that one.
I think we still hold the AFL tackle record from that match... 140 tackles or something... brutal game.

takeaway
Club Player

freely wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 2:09pm

Not interested

Yep - along with the IP Max took with him too. I thought it was super tough on Max. I seem to remember the Herald Sun published a poster on GF day begging Lyon to let him play.
Yep, tough on Max, virtually all supporters wanted him in, but it was judged by the selection committee that it was too much of a risk. Who knows? Every GF there are a lot of tough decisions made at selection and during the day. Should have done this, should have done that .... it never ends. Some decisions work, others don't, no-one's perfect.

Alves - why did he let Shanahan take Jarman? Tosser. Jeans - what did he try to do to stop Keddie? Toss... , no can't say it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No ones talking about bringng back Alves or Jeans so what is your point.

takeaway
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 4:05pm No ones talking about bringng back Alves or Jeans so what is your point.
Quite simple - "perceived" errors in GFs or selection doesn't make the coach a "tosser" or poor coach. Whether he is a tosser or not is irrelevant to his coaching - he has the record on the board. Worthy of consideration by Saints if they ditch Richo, but I would agree not much chance of coming over. A couple of ex players would be quite happy if he did.