Alan Will Call it Himself.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alan Will Call it Himself.

A process implies that the CEO and the board (or some panel of has beens) know the formula for a gameplan that can win finals and that they know the formula for building a playing list that can win finals. At least that's what I thought a process should mean...

Maybe it's more to do with getting another 'yes' man

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 12:55pm A process implies that the CEO and the board (or some panel of has beens) know the formula for a gameplan that can win finals and that they know the formula for building a playing list that can win finals. At least that's what I thought a process should mean...

Maybe it's more to do with getting another 'yes' man
Perhaps, but you would think they would know the kind of coach they want. What the hell are they there for then?

I don't expect the process (or whatever you want to call it) to be open, competitive or transparent but I don't think you should be able to appoint a mate either, do you?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sanctorum
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:16am
tony74 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 9:50pm
st.byron wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 6:07pm
seano1 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 5:54pm I think they are pondering if we get rid of richo now they would have to get Rats to coach out the year ....but if he wants scott to coach next year he will want richo to see out the year cause he wouldn’t want rats to turn us around in the caretaker mode
I reckon it’s all about the money. Can’t sack him until it’s clear we can’t make finals.
Yeah I think you are pretty well correct and I think the new boy has a gentleman’s agreement at this stage. But I will preface that by saying a few of our more well off supporters are putting their hand in their pocket hoping to entice an other.
So Lethlean has made a gentleman's agreement with Brad Scott?

Where’s the process?

Why does one person have so much discretion and authority?

First the Hanners trade and now this.

This is real cronyism.

I won't be renewing 2 memberships if this scenario transpires....this is just too much..
You can rest assured that Simon Lethlean will not be doing anything whatsoever without full consultation with the President and through him the Board, least of all on such a fundamental matter as appointment of the next senior coach. So if there have indeed been discussions between Simon Lethlean and Brad Scott this will only have been done with the full support of the Board - no senior executive would take this upon himself and to suggest otherwise is foolhardy because it would lead to certain dismissal, and remember that Lethlean is a qualified lawyer!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:22am Scott nearly got North into the GF. He can coach. Yes, he is a bit of a wanker at times but I reckon he would lift our list to another playing level plus bring in 2-3 good players.

Maybe we need a hard arse.
That's my view as well, I'm confident that Brad Scott will be very successful wherever he ends up as senior coach in 2020 and as I have mentioned on another post, I agree with the view expressed by Grant Thomas (whom I don't admire) that St Kilda can't risk going with an untried rookie coach again: the chances of finding another Luke Beveridge are not good.

To me, Brad Scott will provide the hard edge that St Kilda's teams lack, a notable example being yesterday when in the 3rd quarter and the Saints still in contention, the players overused the ball endlessly playing "keepings off" instead of relentless attack which ended up in several costly turnovers and Richmond goals.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 2:40pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 9:22am Scott nearly got North into the GF. He can coach. Yes, he is a bit of a wanker at times but I reckon he would lift our list to another playing level plus bring in 2-3 good players.

That's my view as well, I'm confident that Brad Scott will be very successful wherever he ends up as senior coach in 2020 and as I have mentioned on another post, I agree with the view expressed by Grant Thomas (whom I don't admire) that St Kilda can't risk going with an untried rookie coach again: the chances of finding another Luke Beveridge are not good.

To me, Brad Scott will provide the hard edge that St Kilda's teams lack, a notable example being yesterday when in the 3rd quarter and the Saints still in contention, the players overused the ball endlessly playing "keepings off" instead of relentless attack which ended up in several costly turnovers and Richmond goals.
Good post. Agree with this, but I am sure I heard that from the interview with Cho, the players were under instruction to play keepings off!!

That is commonly called risk minimisation…….

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 2:40pm

Agreed. I think Scott is firming as head coach for 2020. Something is going on in this space btw...unless Alan can draw a magic rabbit out of the hat for the remainder of the year.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 5:54pm I think they are pondering if we get rid of richo now they would have to get Rats to coach out the year ....but if he wants scott to coach next year he will want richo to see out the year cause he wouldn’t want rats to turn us around in the caretaker mode
I reckon it’s all about the money. Can’t sack him until it’s clear we can’t make finals.
Yeah I think you are pretty well correct and I think the new boy has a gentleman’s agreement at this stage. But I will preface that by saying a few of our more well off supporters are putting their hand in their pocket hoping to entice an other.

Where’s the process?

This is real cronyism.

I won't be renewing 2 memberships if this scenario transpires....this is just too much..
Isn’t tony74 talking about Ratten? Not that I think his word is gospel.

But a lot of people are quoting you without looking at what T74 wrote.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 3:20pm

Where’s the process?

This is real cronyism.

Isn’t tony74 talking about Ratten? Not that I think his word is gospel.

But a lot of people are quoting you without looking at what T74 wrote.
Interesting. You could be right Kosi, though I didn't read it that way.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Was it Brad Scott who monsterd Rooey when he had a broken shoulder or was it his equally arsehole of a brother?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 4:04pm Was it Brad Scott who monsterd Rooey when he had a broken shoulder or was it his equally arsehole of a brother?
Think it was both brothers plus a few other players. They were a tough side back then the Bears...and bastards. Very Leigh Matthews like.

That expierence made Rooey a better play though I reckon.

You wouldn't get away with that these days either.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

No , it was only one of the kray twins plus that thug Michael.

suss
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 4:48pm No , it was only one of the kray twins plus that thug Michael.
If I recall rightly one of them through Lenny into the fence at the Gabba. Lenny was out for 4-5 weeks with a broken hand and the relevant thug didn't even get reported.

Brisbane always got special treatment on that front, but then again, they were different days I suppose.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 6:34pm
saynta wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 4:48pm No , it was only one of the kray twins plus that thug Michael.
If I recall rightly one of them through Lenny into the fence at the Gabba. Lenny was out for 4-5 weeks with a broken hand and the relevant thug didn't even get reported.

Brisbane always got special treatment on that front, but then again, they were different days I suppose.
yeah, threw him into the fence, and then said "sorry mate", so need for a report.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Chris threw Lenny into the fence and Brad + Michael targeted Roo

barneyboyz
Club Player

I reckon Norf have a few young blokes that have all had the second/third year blues too. One thing I reckon would be different is the Carlton game a couple years back, when Cho demoralised our playing group in public, you aren't ever going to see that from Brad. I still reckon that was the turning point in Cho's career, and why we're even discussing this crap now. Should have won a premiership since that game

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
HighettMan
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 7:23am Think it’s fair to say that if Richo was going to call it himself, he would have done so by now.

Jumping before you get pushed isn’t exactly an integrity move like it’s being implied.
And you claim it's not personal with you. That's a fair crack at a man's character which is interesting considering you wouldn't know each other if you crashed into each other.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Richo won't call it. We are only two games outside the 8 with some winnable games coming up. If we are a chance of the eight is still there sinus richo. 8 games left I think so no movement or notice there of will occur until August

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Only 1 game out plus %. Pretty amazing.

Total = 1.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 11:07am Only 1 game out plus %. Pretty amazing.
It’s not that simple however I can’t be bothered explaining the intricacies to you. But I’ll give you a head start: Have a look at who we’ve beaten & their ladder position, our percentage, scoring for & against & the last 8 or so weeks. Not much different to last year to be honest. But yea, amazing stuff.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

?
We are 4 points behind Freo. That equals 1 game.

To simplify it:
4 points = 1 game.

I think it's amazing we are only 1 game out of the 8 along with a host of other sides.

Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 10:11am
skeptic wrote: Mon 01 Jul 2019 7:23am Think it’s fair to say that if Richo was going to call it himself, he would have done so by now.

Jumping before you get pushed isn’t exactly an integrity move like it’s being implied.
And you claim it's not personal with you. That's a fair crack at a man's character which is interesting considering you wouldn't know each other if you crashed into each other.
It’s not really a crack. He’s been deadman walking for a while there.

I’ll point out that you introduced character here as this is your thread. What basis do you have to say that he’ll call it himself..? None! Is none the answer?

Tony, a recognised ITK, is saying with certainty that he won’t be coaching next year. The results almost guarantee that we won’t make finals and he hasn’t called it.

As usual, my opinion is formed off the facts... and you are completely emotional. And of course you play the personal card... don’t know the man, haven’t met him, no interactions, don’t know anyone that knows him.
Based on what I see, it’s pretty clear and has been for a long time that he won’t be a successful coach at our club. The fact that I didn’t delude myself into thinking he’s Alistair Clarkson and Allen Jeans incarnate like you, building a legacy for the ages with a scarily flexible team does not make a cold SOB. Just makes me a rationale one unlike you and your hyper-emotional outbursts.

stkfc1
Club Player

Listening to SEN today, as they've had a few Kanga players past and present on and I may be reading into it but I dont get a great sense that Brad Scott was the most popular guy at the club. They're saying all the cliche things about how good a coach he is and all that but none of them sounding hugely convincing, whilst their enthusiasm ,when describing Rhys Shaw, was noticeable. Maybe it was just time to move on for everyone at the club but I'm really not seeing what BS is going to bring to the table. This is concerning.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

how so Ted ?

freo 107.2
saints 82.1

so thats 1 game and 24.9 %

thats some victory

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
barneyboyz
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 12:34pm Listening to SEN today, as they've had a few Kanga players past and present on and I may be reading into it but I dont get a great sense that Brad Scott was the most popular guy at the club. They're saying all the cliche things about how good a coach he is and all that but none of them sounding hugely convincing, whilst their enthusiasm ,when describing Rhys Shaw, was noticeable. Maybe it was just time to move on for everyone at the club but I'm really not seeing what BS is going to bring to the table. This is concerning.
Hmm, interesting. maybe it's easier for them to just think it's all BS's fault and just start fresh (quite similar to many of us with Cho???) I don't know, I still reckon Stan Alves should have kept his job...but a few players didn't like him either :idea:

Watching Rooey with his boys the other day, couldn't help wonder if either of them might be our next flag captain? Hope I can stick around long enough then :( :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Sanctorum
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 02 Jul 2019 11:17am ?
We are 4 points behind Freo. That equals 1 game.

To simplify it:
4 points = 1 game.

I think it's amazing we are only 1 game out of the 8 along with a host of other sides.
The win/loss ratio of 6/8 in reality belies the true situation because the way the Saints have been playing indicates to me that the team will struggle to win another game.

There is not another fixture remaining where I feel St Kilda are likely to defeat their upcoming opponent, and that includes the teams currently outside the 8: North, Footscray, Melbourne, Carlton and South Melbourne, all teams that are showing much better form lately......unless St Kilda make radical changes to the way they play and improved game plans set by the coaches.

It is the lack of vigour and attack, and the "keepings off - over ball use" style that makes watching St Kilda play so agonising; the team has the players with the requisite skills and abilities to win games, but it is as if they are conditioned to simply prevent the other team from scoring and so they are not using their natural flair.

This is the way that Ross Lyon gets his teams to play and guess what: St Kilda's Director of Coaching learnt his craft from Ross Lyon, going back to 2007 as a development coach, and he is there today directing the coaches of 2019. This to me is a major reason why the team is failing, and until that man goes St Kilda will remain adrift in the bottom half of the competition!