Do we have the WORST Board and Management in the AFL?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Do we have the WORST Board and Management in the AFL?

I think so...

Some Context:
Our club's past is full of turmoil. But in more recent times we have been a better focused club. The team played hard, dynamic football, we were relevant and exciting to watch, a club full of character....

We were pretty good in the 90s, and after the finals in 98, we fell into some trouble. But it only took 5 years before we were up again. By mid 2003, we starting winning, and played exciting football. By end of 2011, we played in 6 finals series, 2 GFs , 2 PFs and with some luck could have had 2 or 3 flags.

Since then:
So, after losing RL at end of 2011, we had a great opportunity to build upon a successful culture, a club that had a great work ethic, leadership and drive. Any half decent management would use that base to quickly rebuild the club and return it to a powerhouse and this time win flags.

BUT, in the 8 YEARS since that time the Board and Management has systematically brought about the disruction of our beloved club, leaving in a mess. A dull, boring, rudderless club. The ony achievment in the last 8 years has been to hire a mad egomaniac as coach who had to be sacked within 2 years, then rush hire another guy, and they stubbornly held on to this terrble coach until he is now second longest serving saints coach. What else? hmmm...gender neutral toilets?

(And before people mention the return to Moorabbin, that was mainly due to the AFL and State Gov putting up the money and a change in the Locl Council which was supportive. )

The key culprits are:
The Board, the President (mostly the prior guy) and the centerpiece of failure: FINNIS.

I'm ok with Leathean...for now...I like people with drive and mungrel...We need people that are smart, tough and will work very hard for this club. Sadly, most of the people operating at this club over the last 8 years are dumb, process-driven fools, who have no imagination, dare, toughness, leadership and drive....

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we have the WORST Board and Management in the AFL?

If they are not you would need a photo to split them from the winner. I suspect Freo could be in the frame, but Ross can be intimidating. AR's a bit of a lamb, don't you think. What do they discuss under agenda item PLACE ON THE LADDER, I wonder. Does the thought of hosting finals functions terrify them (you can outsource catering Mr Pres - if it ever came to it)

JR23
Club Player

Finnis has been at the helm during this disaster. Last pres …. was the last man standing. An introverted accountant …. not a leader of a football club. Probably a nice bloke. Time to give others a chance

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The disaster started way back when,

We have no experienced elite talent

Ape_Man
Club Player

B.M wrote:The disaster started way back when,

This is something that hasn’t happened in my lifetime.

We have always had at least 1 genuine gun. Usually more.

Can anyone name a period in the past 30 years that we didn’t have an out an out superstar in our midst?

Or even 50?

Special
Club Player

Welcome back BigMart

Finnis is Finished.

Can’t stand his swarmy smile. He reminds me of used car salesman

jaxons
Club Player

The worst Club CEO since Nettlefold :D :D

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Never have I had such little hope for this club as I do now

I’ve supported the saints for 37 years. Even when we were hopeless we had hope, whether it be a superstar player or two or some kids who you could see had the makings of a star or a coach who you see was a born leader

We’ve nothing now. 0, nothing, nought

No stars
No kids ready to break loose
No coach
No money
No hope

We’re gone I reckon. Give it 3-5 years and we’re no longer...some sort of new franchise saints team. Hopefully tassie but prob not

We are a full rebuild away from anything remotely successful...we used to talk about players like Raph and the likes being list cloggers. We now have an entire generation of cloggers coming through. Players that are good but far from great. Will take you to 9th at their peak

It’s devastating, just devastating

#1 Ryder fan
axcellence
Club Player

Anytime I feel like going off Prozac, I should read this thread...

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A rhetorical question??? :?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 8:19pm I think so...

I have posted a number of times that Footy First was arguably the biggest disaster to impact St Kilda in our history. Financially they have destroyed the club, and football wise they were no better. This all on taking the reigns when the club was on the up and up.

Wasteaway was an unmitigated disaster in himself.

Winters our next President while not a total disaster was just keeping the chair warm and maintaining the status quo when the club is struggling is a recipe for failure.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
leighsaintsince66
Club Player

Stop complaining!
At least we have gender fluid dunnies at our annual gay pride match.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

They are like a govt department. Just punching the workcards everyday oblivious to their individual ineptitude as each measures up to the other, resulting in a collective uselessness. We need a complete clean out.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Special
Club Player

We put the V back into Vanilla.

At least when we had players in trouble we had talent and bit of a spark.

We are like an electric car with spark plugs now.

kaos theory
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 07 Jul 2019 9:06pm The disaster started way back when,

And a large part of this is due to a timid management/board who implemented a policy of selecting players that were 'nice' people. We were scared of another 'st. kilda schoolgirl' incident (even though she lied), and M&M saga. A strong club, with strong leadership and culture would have stuck to principles and trusted their culture to keep players in line.

Imagine if a young Tony Lockett at 17/18y.o. was now available for us to pick in the draft. He would fail our b.s. 'psych test'...not a 'nice' person and we would have passed on him!
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 1:30am
I have posted a number of times that Footy First was arguably the biggest disaster to impact St Kilda in our history. Financially they have destroyed the club, and football wise they were no better. This all on taking the reigns when the club was on the up and up.

Wasteaway was an unmitigated disaster in himself.

Winters our next President while not a total disaster was just keeping the chair warm and maintaining the status quo when the club is struggling is a recipe for failure.
I voted for FF, but that was to get more money into the footy department, which was strugguling and because RB was a substance abuser...you can't have that type of guy at the helm of the club. They were ok for the first few years, but they devolved into a a mess. Summers was a hopless replacement for the first president, Netters was bad CEO...and their stupid 5 year plans have turned out to be a farce.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 9:44am

I voted for FF, but that was to get more money into the footy department, which was struggling and because RB was a substance abuser...you can't have that type of guy at the helm of the club. They were ok for the first few years, but they devolved into a a mess. Summers was a hopless replacement for the first president, Netters was bad CEO...and their stupid 5 year plans have turned out to be a farce.
FF sounded great, but unfortunately was not. All their talk about getting in more sponsorship money etc was a mirage.

Financially the previous Board did a much better job that FF.

And yes RB had to go. But as it turns out Wasteaway was worse. So out of the frying pan and into the fire.

We would have been better off with RB just being outed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Mon 08 Jul 2019 7:55am We put the V back into Vanilla.
i'd say we've put the "nil" back into vanilla.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think that changes are a foot now and first to go will be the coach which will be a positive. Our new coach needs to be a development god as we do have the talent it's just not getting tapped. So let's judge the board on who they land.
Secondly I like that we have gubby on board but I want some a wheelin' and a dealin' this trade period. Land us a decent fish from gws