Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Coffield

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:37pm I was waiting for this thread, this will be the thread for those wanting to wipe the stinking rotten eggs off their faces when they bagged Clark after the GWS game.

You must really enjoy the stench of getting things so horribly wrong.
Spot on. Up until the last 3 or 4 games, clark probably didnt do enough to hold his spot, but he more than showed that he had the tools to be a good player and therefore you keep playing him. Clark needs time in the gym and he will be a gun in the next year or 2.
Cofield a bit similiar, he lacks awareness with what's happening behind him, but you just keep playing him because you can see he has got it. Clark looks to have the higher ceiling, but cofield will be very good

To the top
SS Life Member

I do not rate Geelong.

Flat track bullies on their own dung heap

That said, when their 200 and 300 game players with recognised names (including to Umpires) retire over the next year or so we will see the comparison to those at St Kilda

That will be the assessment

It is an entirely different set of circumstances to come into a side full of very experienced players

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

I think my frustration also stems from every club drafting players who come straight in and do well from the get go. Yet ours “need time” or are injured and then stay injured or never improve to justify a high draft pick.

Is it too much to ask for that one of the top picks of the last 5 years do something of note??

Don’t wanna hear this ‘he’s 19’ business.

Stevenson came straight in for Collingwood at what pick?
Played well every game basically before being a silly boy.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was ok.

Bit slow with the footy (decision making speed), and got caught a few times. But he showed a bit, and had a crack.

goods
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:19pm He's too slow. Won't make it. Clarke will though
Don't confuse apparent 'looking slow' with composure.
Last edited by goods on Sun 14 Jul 2019 1:57am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He runs a 2.90 over 20m

He’s not that slow, in fact that’s elite. But he does take a bit too long with the footy and lacks awareness, which is different.

That may or may not improve over time.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He is good and will be very good. Learnt lessons tonight on Ablett. 1) He, The Coff, is good enough to go with the best; Umps give name players a charmed run so don't fret over those decisions 3) the way a top - one of the most canny - half forward plays and the techniques he uses. Next time in 2020, while we all despise Ablett, just give him a flogging. He will be slower and you will be much faster.

saintbob
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 11:03pm Thought he was good! Clarke excellent
My thoughts exactly

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:47am He runs a 2.90 over 20m

He’s not that slow, in fact that’s elite. But he does take a bit too long with the footy and lacks awareness, which is different.

That may or may not improve over time.
Agree with the awareness but I think that stems from two things, one being he genuinely wants to make the right decision and not waste a disposal. The second is he's the victim of structure in that our players still do not run to the right spots to allow the release of the ball.

He's a very good user of the ball, I hope he's allowed to settle across half back before moving up the field. He and Clark will be the drivers of our future.

Choppa
Club Player

Agree with most on here, Coff good, Clarke great.

linmarnic
Club Player

I think Coff is coming along just fine.

I don’t get why a forearm push to the back is not paid as a free. Dangerfield did that to Coff and then was paid the mark and kicked the goal that started their run. I just don’t get why it wasn’t paid a free to Coff. Umpire favouritism or just the relaxing of the in the back rule?

Never give up
Rubyjo
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:24am I think the penny is going to drop for Coffield and Clark next season and they will be pivotal to our rebound out of defence for a decade. The penny may have already dropped for Clark who has Bont/Pendles traits.

Clark has the Bont qualities In spades..

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

linmarnic wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:10am I think Coff is coming along just fine.

I don’t get why a forearm push to the back is not paid as a free. Dangerfield did that to Coff and then was paid the mark and kicked the goal that started their run. I just don’t get why it wasn’t paid a free to Coff. Umpire favouritism or just the relaxing of the in the back rule?
You are right Linmarnic. The relaxing of the rule was to allow a player to use his hands to hold his ground on a player pushing back.

Whether a player uses his hands, forearm, shoulders in a players back to push him forward and out of the contest it is a free kick.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I remember people bagging BJ in his first couple of seasons.

Fact is, young players take time.

Persevere. Show faith in them and they’ll respond in kind.

He’ll be good and could be very good.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:35am

Plenty on here were whining about us recruiting Stevensoj because of his heart condition though.

Too risky. Apparently.

But having said that, he'd be pathetic in our team anyway. We set up nothing lile Collingwood. And Cho wouldn't have even given him a game anyway cause his arms are puny and he's not 'strong'.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:22am

Plenty on here were whining about us recruiting Stevensoj because of his heart condition though.

Too risky. Apparently.
I assume that you are talking about Jaidyn Stephenson, who at 6 was not available when we had our picks of 6 and 7.

If he was I would be confident that he would ave been picked by the Saints.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:17am More of a frustration with him over two years to be fair.
When are we gonna find someone who we all go “oooohhh, he’s gonna be something”, rather than an also ran bits player like the other 19 we already have?

And as a top draft pick he deserves more scrutiny.
Bit different to a pick 50 for example.

The recruitment staff need to be sacked or put on notice. Any more of these types of players with top 10 picks and you are looking for a new job
Because with with Coff, you wouldn’t have seen enough of him to go “ooohhh” ... unless you watched a lot of Sandy games.

Do you now feel sick that we’ve seen Newnes sh!t output over and over again instead of getting games into Clarke? Feel the same about Coff. We’re a crap list so, instead of getting games into good kids who might progress, we’ve had a coach selecting teams for his future; not the club’s.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Crossy66
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:44pm

Too risky. Apparently.
I assume that you are talking about Jaidyn Stephenson, who at 6 was not available when we had our picks of 6 and 7.

hard to know whether or not there was some gamesmanship going on in the 2017 draft, but by all accounts, Stephenson was headed to Freo when he went on a holiday just before the draft. Saints and Freo were interested suitors with Freo having picks before Saints.. Apparently the Saints "discovered" this heart condition a few days out from the draft and with Stephenson out of the country and assume no time for a second medical, it spooked Freo. Were the saints been strategic? Were we trying to scare Freo Off? Turns out that it was no big deal and not going to affect him whatsoever. Unfortunately Collingwood were aware of the background and swooped.
And the rest as they say....

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Clarkevneeded to play some twos footy, nothing wrong with that, it’s also good for development.

He played inside mid at Sandy and would have learned a lot, like how to win the footy inside the contest.
Good thing is, he looks a class above at VFL level which is what you want to see.

Will be a 200 gamer

Moves very similar to Steel Sidebottom

Coffield actually had greater attributes, more speed, taller but lacks the self confidence of Clarke, and not as natural a player.

He will be anything from Raph Clarke to a taller Jason Gram

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like him...
Did well and will be a good player for us

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 12:44pm

Too risky. Apparently.

Yeah, that guy.

The moaning on here when it was suggested we might draft a guy with a heart problem was pretty funny.

linmarnic
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:21am
linmarnic wrote: Sun 14 Jul 2019 11:10am I think Coff is coming along just fine.

You are right Linmarnic. The relaxing of the rule was to allow a player to use his hands to hold his ground on a player pushing back.

Whether a player uses his hands, forearm, shoulders in a players back to push him forward and out of the contest it is a free kick.
Dangerfield gets away with murder week in week out. Coff should have got the free. I thought Coff played well and with more game time his confidence will naturally improve. He will develop into a very good player for us.

Never give up
outside66
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sat 13 Jul 2019 10:57pm Wouldn’t get a game back at Eltham’s seconds in the NFL
Can’t defend to save himself.
Looks like someone was getting well and truly stuck into the full strengths... I was at the game "enjoying" a mid-strength whilst enjoying watching Coffield stand up in tough conditions. Very solid game and he's going to be a ripper for years to come, I reckon.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was fine.

Got nailed on a few occasions, but just needs more game time at the level.

He was fine. Give him a position and let him stick to it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Looked silky to me. Will be a very good player. Hunter will be a gun mid too, still some work to do.