LENNY HAYES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

LENNY HAYES

This is who I would select to be the senior coach in 2020.

I truly think senior coaches tend to overreach and over coach and perfect examples of this are Alan Richardson and Brett Bolton.I'm of the view they finish up coaching the natural instincts out of the players.

I know many on here now think Brett Ratten is the new messiah after one game and would be satisfied with him if he were appointed senior coach.
Having him in the caretaker role as the club competes against five ordinary teams to see out the year gives him a clear advantage but he is not the senior coach I would choose regardless.

I know many will say Lenny Hayes is inexperienced, but he has been an assistant for four years and with excellent assistants around him, I do not see this as an issue.
He displayed elite level professionalism as a player and would expect the same of him as a senior coach.
Lenny Hayes has leadership qualities built into his DNA.
I am in no doubt that he would inspire the players like no other and would command the total respect of the playing group.

I believe it would help to galvanise not only the playing group but also the supporter base and would help the clubs marketing department from a commercial aspect.

After almost a decade in the wilderness this football club needs an inspirational figure like Lenny Hayes leading from the front as senior coach.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: LENNY HAYES

fair comment from the Barkster re: Lenny Hayes' Fair comment too, regarding us looking on Ratts as a "Messiah". My only concern is that Lenny is currently part of a club that can make a good run at the flag, and may not want to move from Sydney (he is New South Wales boy after all)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Lenny ass coach

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:56pm fair comment from the Barkster re: Lenny Hayes' Fair comment too, regarding us looking on Ratts as a "Messiah". My only concern is that Lenny is currently part of a club that can make a good run at the flag, and may not want to move from Sydney (he is New South Wales boy after all)
His wife Tara is a Melbourne girl from a very close family!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 2:07pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:56pm fair comment from the Barkster re: Lenny Hayes' Fair comment too, regarding us looking on Ratts as a "Messiah". My only concern is that Lenny is currently part of a club that can make a good run at the flag, and may not want to move from Sydney (he is New South Wales boy after all)
His wife Tara is a Melbourne girl from a very close family!
That's nice! :D

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:45pm This is who I would select to be the senior coach in 2020.

I truly think senior coaches tend to overreach and over coach and perfect examples of this are Alan Richardson and Brett Bolton.I'm of the view they finish up coaching the natural instincts out of the players.

I know many on here now think Brett Ratten is the new messiah after one game and would be satisfied with him if he were appointed senior coach.
Having him in the caretaker role as the club competes against five ordinary teams to see out the year gives him a clear advantage but he is not the senior coach I would choose regardless.

I know many will say Lenny Hayes is inexperienced, but he has been an assistant for four years and with excellent assistants around him, I do not see this as an issue.
He displayed elite level professionalism as a player and would expect the same of him as a senior coach.
I am in no doubt that he would inspire the players like no other and would command the total respect of the playing group.

I believe it would help to galvanise not only the playing group but also the supporter base and would help the clubs marketing department from a commercial aspect.

After almost a decade in the wilderness this football club needs an inspirational figure like Lenny Hayes leading from the front as senior coach.
I don't know who should be our next coach as I know SFA about coaching in the AFL.

If Lenny or Banger are the best candidate available then I say let's go for it, but if it has anything to do with the he/ they are legends of the club then i say drop it and move on.

Let it be the best candidate whoever he or she or it (given our transgender toilet arrangement) get the role on what they offer, not what they meant to the Saints on the playing field.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
St Loxton
Club Player

Has Lenny himself indicated that he wants to be senior coach yet, he may not yet think he is ready.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

barks4eva wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 1:45pm This is who I would select to be the senior coach in 2020.

The question is, do you reckon he'll throw his hat in the ring?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Mon 22 Jul 2019 3:14pm

The question is, do you reckon he'll throw his hat in the ring?
I hope so.

A poster seemingly in the know wrote a couple of months ago Lenny Hayes was moving back to Victoria next year.

supersaints2
Club Player

I'd like both Lenny ,Banger or both to come back,in some capacity, but if they put their hat in the ring for the senior job, and fail I expect they won't come over
if Ratts gets the senior job , I would expect a three year deal , ... maybe a future succession plan... in three years time

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I select Lenny Hayes above all other candidates if he himself thinks he is ready and applies for the job.

Sometimes the best option is right there in front of everyone and is not recognised.

Luke Beveridge was available when Richardson was appointed.

Ajantis
Club Player

Lenny wants to come back to melbourne but not yet.

Crossy66
Club Player

Would love to see lenny back but he ain't coming next year atleast.
It might be a good pr exercise but the best way to get the fans on board in wins- that's it. I have heard our next coach will be an experienced campaigner which rules out the assistants.
Down to ratts, scott or RL.
Personally, I think the decision has been made. Scott at $1.10 for saints and $8.00 for the blues! Make of that what you will.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ratten is an excellent fit for us. I'd give him a two year contract.

He has excellent credentials, is a highly experienced campaigner and also knows the playing group well having been with them already for almost 12 months.

This a no brainer appointment peoples.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:10pm
Down to ratts, scott or RL.
Personally, I think the decision has been made. Scott at $1.10 for saints and $8.00 for the blues! Make of that what you will.
If BS gets appointed then those responsible should be voted out and sacked ASAP!

The secret handshakers and trojan horse operators will be totally exposed for their nefarious agenda's.

I'm sure Lethlean wants his mate BS, but I think he will be overruled.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Cannot agree.

Not enough experience compared to the competition.

That said, if he is headed back to Victoria, they should get him in to do something.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ajantis
Club Player

I think st.kilda will offer the coaching role to Ratten and he will decide what he wants to do.
I just hope st.kilda put there thinking caps on and offer a good deal for Ratten. Its time, the saints splash some cash for a known/experienced coach.

If st.kilda didnt offer ratten a deal and just considered another coach from left side, then i think st.kilda hasnt learnt anything and will continue to fail.

Cheers

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Disagree. Get the best person available. A good coach will unite the team and nothing does that more than playing for your team mate and winning.

Ratts can deliver and if we lose him to Caton we will look like fools

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Lenny did his apprenticeship under Leon Cameron, Harvey under Buckley, Ratts did his second under Clarkson. Big difference in learning experience there.
Would love Harvs and Lenny back here. Happy with any of those three.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 2:42pm Cannot agree.

Not enough experience compared to the competition.

That said, if he is headed back to Victoria, they should get him in to do something.
This!

Ratten has all the right credentials and already has a rapport with his players and staff. If Ratten wants the position at the season’s conclusion, I think he should get first dibs.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Groovy Guru
Club Player

tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap ................

The computer says no !

resaintlee
Club Player

Sam Mitchell would be good but may not want to stay too long.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I feel like Hayes is the guy too. If you’ve read Mission’s book he was very much as 100% detail to preparation and professionalism guy.
Excellent communication skills, leadership on at the highest level over a long time and played under Watson, Blight, GT and Lyon... broad range of approaches there.

I believe those skills and experience coupled with say the recruitment of some senior assistants would mitigate the challenges brought on by limited time as an assistant

A Ratten Hayes combo would be a killer IMO

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 1:48am I feel like Hayes is the guy too. If you’ve read Mission’s book he was very much as 100% detail to preparation and professionalism guy.

I believe those skills and experience coupled with say the recruitment of some senior assistants would mitigate the challenges brought on by limited time as an assistant
I'd back Lenny Hayes in any day of the week, any week of the year as a leader to inspire a playing group to play at their optimal level.
Elite levels of professionalism and has been around long enough to know the machinations of a football club.
Quality assistants around him and he'd spiritually galvanise the playing list, the supporter base and the entire football club.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote: Tue 23 Jul 2019 5:51pm Sam Mitchell would be good but may not want to stay too long.
I also think Sam Mitchell would be a good appointment... I think he is being groomed as Clarkson's successor at Hawthorn for when AC departs to coach another AFL club.