Teams for Dees

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Teams for Dees

axcellence wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:21pm One thing that Ratten did at Carlton was usually reward VFL form.

To not do it now is bizarre.

On form, Parker and White should have been in for Hind and Newnes. White could have done a similar defensive forward role like Newnes minus the falcons.
Newnes played as a defensive fwd.......not about number of disposals....

Did the job that Ratten asked well........Ratten mentioned it after game.

saint4life
ace
Saintsational Legend

I hope Long's return is for one game only.
I think Parker's endeavour is greater but more importantly I want to see Battle as 2nd key forward, taking the pressure off the undersized Membrey.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
HighettMan
Club Player

Surely the club is looking for a coach that has selection integrity as thier absolute non negotiable number one selection criteria...that and being good at press conferences.

Surely there are now question marks over BR and his suitability for our head coach position. Is it possible Alan has badly influenced him and now Newnes will be an automatic selection if BR becomes head coach. The club need to urgently look at this before memberships are cancelled.

You'd have to say RL is now in the box seat.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

OR

AR struggled to identify better players or different options at his disposal.

BR being astute, knowing his hands are tied with Newnes and sees more trade value for the club if Newnes finishes as a "defensive" forward than a Sandy player.

If BR misses out, taking a Newnes (bullet) for the club, RH will thank him. 😉

in for the long haul
Club Player

While I don’t want to be accused as flying the flag for Newnes as I agree that his season has been poor , I understand that the coaching staff were very pleased with his game against the Dogs where he stopped Johanisons run off the back line. I believe Johanison had 44 possessions the week before.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

G'day Saints fans.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Crossy66
Club Player

chook23 wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:19pm Missed three games through injury.....

Was playing well before this...

I think BATTLE is as stiff as anyone not having been selected.
Marshall looked crippled in the last qtr against dogs. If he doesnt get up, may be battle goes forward and Bruce rucks?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

in for the long haul wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 9:24am While I don’t want to be accused as flying the flag for Newnes as I agree that his season has been poor , I understand that the coaching staff were very pleased with his game against the Dogs where he stopped Johanisons run off the back line. I believe Johanison had 44 possessions the week before.
I'm not a Newnes fan at all, but this post is correct. Although Johannisen only had 17 touches the week before as Melbourne put a hard tag on him, we copied them and Newnes did it well. Johannisen had 42 possessions and picked up the 3 votes last time we played them.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 9:12pm Newness 8 touches keeps him in?
Parker out for Long?
White left out of even the emergencies?
Newnes played an incredibly important role for us last week, he played on Johannasen and limited his influence on the game. Last time we played the dogs JJ had over 40 disposals and ripped us a new one

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 2:52pm
fugazi wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 9:12pm Newness 8 touches keeps him in?
Parker out for Long?
White left out of even the emergencies?
Newnes played an incredibly important role for us last week, he played on Johannasen and limited his influence on the game. Last time we played the dogs JJ had over 40 disposals and ripped us a new one
Not important needs to get Super Coach points to be any good. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope he plays on Salem this week.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:38pm
samuraisaint wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 9:31pm
saynta wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 7:33pm From saints.com.au

"Ben Long will return to the senior side ahead of St Kilda's match with Melbourne on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old missed last week's game to travel to Darwin and spend time with family following the passing of his grandfather and St Mary's legend, Jack Long Sr.

Long has been selected in favour of Matthew Parker, who has been listed as an emergency.

Josh Battle, Bailey Rice and Darragh Joyce join Parker on the emergencies list, with Battle likely to line up for Sandringham in what will be his first game back from a knee injury.

Experienced midfielder Dan Hannebery continues to build his fitness after completing a full training week but wasn’t considered for selection against the Demons.

Despite overcoming recent soreness, the decision has been made to continue with a block of high-intensity training prior to returning to play.

Jack Steven, meanwhile, will play his second game for the Zebras this Sunday at Wilson Storage Trevor Barker Beach Oval.

St Kilda will host Melbourne at Marvel Stadium this Saturday at 7:25pm."
Stuv and Dan shouldn't play again this season. Give them the next month to just train and get right. Some game time in the magoos might be alright, but the strategy needs to be all about 2020 now.
Don't know why White can't get back in the team.
Why? We got games to win. If winning every game we play isn't currently our number one goal it would be very surprising. The strategy for 2020 has to include winning as much as we can in 2019.
Beacause they're not match fit or conditioned for senior football. Bringing back Geary early was disastrous.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
HighettMan
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 9:18pm

"Ben Long will return to the senior side ahead of St Kilda's match with Melbourne on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old missed last week's game to travel to Darwin and spend time with family following the passing of his grandfather and St Mary's legend, Jack Long Sr.

Long has been selected in favour of Matthew Parker, who has been listed as an emergency.

Josh Battle, Bailey Rice and Darragh Joyce join Parker on the emergencies list, with Battle likely to line up for Sandringham in what will be his first game back from a knee injury.

Experienced midfielder Dan Hannebery continues to build his fitness after completing a full training week but wasn’t considered for selection against the Demons.

Despite overcoming recent soreness, the decision has been made to continue with a block of high-intensity training prior to returning to play.

Jack Steven, meanwhile, will play his second game for the Zebras this Sunday at Wilson Storage Trevor Barker Beach Oval.

Stuv and Dan shouldn't play again this season. Give them the next month to just train and get right. Some game time in the magoos might be alright, but the strategy needs to be all about 2020 now.
Why? We got games to win. If winning every game we play isn't currently our number one goal it would be very surprising. The strategy for 2020 has to include winning as much as we can in 2019.
Beacause they're not match fit or conditioned for senior football. Bringing back Geary early was disastrous.

Irrelevant and off track to your first point: re DH & JS shouldn't play again in 2019. They should be working thier arses off to make themselves available for selection, if they do that and tick the proverbial boxes then aren't they fit and conditionwd?

Not sure what the Geary reference has to do with the point of discussion at hand other than injuries happen.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

HM, I think that points to AFL not ready, fair point IMO.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Just read in the age Ratten's announcement that 'midfielder' Hanners and 'forward' Battle are set to play next week against Adelaide. Was that a very smart way of putting every player (mids, forwards and - since Battle's actually been playing as a back - backs as well) on notice that they better earn their spots because two players are going to be making way?

HighettMan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 27 Jul 2019 12:50am HM, I think that points to AFL not ready, fair point IMO.
Saying they "shouldn't" play again this season when there are still 5 matches to go and so much to achieve other than reaching finals is the point. The club has to build hope and excitement and have momentum going into the pre season. If they tick the boxes to be selected in a best 22 then they play.

Just because we are changing coaches doesn't mean we are in a rebuild and can tank. The expectation must be we have a list capable of reaching finals next year so the preparation starts now. We must be desperate to win every game so parking up 2 of your top liners would be silly.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

How can I say I don't believe in tanking in another way other than I don't believe in tanking.

Our 2019 track record in playing players that may or may not be in our top 22 hasn't been flash and has led to more time on the sidelines.

I agree, I think by having a complete, fit list in 2020 will allow us to play finals. I also believe that St Kilda must keep an eye on more than just the next 5 weeks and to give us our best list for 2020 we must use these 5 weeks to properly assess our 2019 list.

Why can't we do both? Is our training and system that bad that we can't blood players? If it is, then forget 2020 as well.

supersaints2
Club Player

Stuv should play, not injury related so if he's fit enough play him, it's good for his mental health issues ... besides if he wants to go to Geeelong then we will likely get a better trade if he's up and firing ,, than out with his problems

Agree about Hanners ( I said from the start he may be ba a total bust, hope not but put him back in the paddock until next year and keep our fingers crossed )

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 10:26pm
samuraisaint wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 9:18pm

Irrelevant and off track to your first point: re DH & JS shouldn't play again in 2019. They should be working thier arses off to make themselves available for selection, if they do that and tick the proverbial boxes then aren't they fit and conditionwd?

Not sure what the Geary reference has to do with the point of discussion at hand other than injuries happen.
Of course it is. Geary wasn't ready to play - they played him too early and he broke his leg, and I think it was the way he was running because he was unfit to play that contributed to the injury - it has everything to do with bringing back guys early.
Hannebury brought in after little or no real pre-season and he gets 'hamstring awareness' after we're told he's being 'managed'.
Jack hasn't played a full game in the reserves yet - just let him get right. When he is fully fit and ready for battle - forgive the pun - he will be back. It might be this season, it might not be. We're not playing finals this season, so I am all for developing the list.
I think playing other players during his absence is a way of getting games and experience into younger players. We've won 7 matches now - and may win an 8th tonight - let's see what we can uncover in terms of playing talent.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Rocket
Club Player

Suspicious of a late change to bring Battle in... would love to see him play 3rd forward.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Newnes was great week, he had a job to quell j.j. and that is exactly what he did. Sometimes find what is best for the team means yout stats suffer. Neenes in this week for sure

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Newnes was great week, he had a job to quell j.j. and that is exactly what he did. Sometimes find what is best for the team means yout stats suffer. Neenes in this week for sure

deadman walking
Club Player

the team did well