One of the worst umpiring displays I have ever seen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Re: One of the worst umpiring displays I have ever seen

Was at the game and will delay placing it into the pantheon of worst ever umpiring performances until I see the replay, but at the game, second half, level 2, we were beside ourselves.

If you’re 100 m off the ball, don’t blow your bloody whistle. And if it’s right in front of you, have a bloody look.

The non-frees were the worst today.

And whilst none of the central umps covered themselves in glory today, Eleni’s performance was particularly frustrating.

Always loyal
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Very ordinary umpiring both ways today, many confusing decisions.

Didn’t feel we were disadvantaged they just lacked competence.

Very lucky they did not pay a push in the back to Fyfe against Steele with 20 seconds left, very lucky, it was there.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:29pm Very lucky they did not pay a push in the back to Fyfe against Steele with 20 seconds left, very lucky, it was there.
Oh really? Haven’t seen the second half yet, but surprised none of the usuals have brought this up complaining about the quality of umpiring, sounds like a perfect example of umps having a direct impact on the outcome of a game 🤔

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:41pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:29pm Very lucky they did not pay a push in the back to Fyfe against Steele with 20 seconds left, very lucky, it was there.
Oh really? Haven’t seen the second half yet, but surprised none of the usuals have brought this up complaining about the quality of umpiring, sounds like a perfect example of umps having a direct impact on the outcome :roll: :roll: :roll: of a game 🤔
From afl.com

"Five goals were scored in the third term – three to Freo and two to St Kilda – and the lead changed each time. The last of these goals, to Dockers youngster Lachie Schultz, raised the ire of Saints fans after Freo veteran David Mundy was tackled by the shorts for a seeming eternity."

He was spun round twice ...720 degrees ffs, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:58pm
Oh really? Haven’t seen the second half yet, but surprised none of the usuals have brought this up complaining about the quality of umpiring, sounds like a perfect example of umps having a direct impact on the outcome :roll: :roll: :roll: of a game 🤔
From afl.com

"Five goals were scored in the third term – three to Freo and two to St Kilda – and the lead changed each time. The last of these goals, to Dockers youngster Lachie Schultz, raised the ire of Saints fans after Freo veteran David Mundy was tackled by the shorts for a seeming eternity."

Come on - what a weak excuse for a tackle. Has there ever before been a case of a player being "tackled by the shorts"? Mundy would have barely noticed Carlisle was there.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 8:10pm
From afl.com

Come on - what a weak excuse for a tackle. Has there ever before been a case of a player being "tackled by the shorts"? Mundy would have barely noticed Carlisle was there.
He’s in possession and being tackled it’s ball no doubt.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

The non push in the back to Dunstan 40m out, probably the worst of the poor decisions

supersaints2
Club Player

She's not up to it... political correctness strikes again

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:18pm Just watched the final two minutes Bloody exciting

Very surprised flyffe didn’t get a free at the end so they could win 😋🤬🤬
That did look a lot like in the back to me.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com

Yep that was def holding the ball. Swings and roundabouts

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Shocking umpiring today, but a real test for the boys and they rose above it. Marvellous to see.

Worst ever, of course, was Don Jolley, Victoria Park, 1970

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Except he cleanly handballed it away

To the top
SS Life Member

Very ordinary exhibition, and I use the word exhibition deliberately

The final summary was one paying holding the ball because the player ducked into the tackle (the Selwood Rule) and the other paying high tackle

So they were both gesticulating in opposite directions

As mentioned running thru Dunstan’s back, marks not paid etc etc including out of the blue ruck infringements to Sandilands who was enveloping Marshall

Back in the day we would refer to “Ankles”

Lower than a ..........

An apt description given the attempts to influence today

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 8:24pm The non push in the back to Dunstan 40m out, probably the worst of the poor decisions
Agree, that was ordinary.
Dunstan also got taken high a couple of times and was a bit unlucky.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Worse than Whispers and Sirengate? Surely not...we won!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Just finished the third quarter and the umpiring has been perfectly fine except for the one shocker for Dunstan not getting in the back. So I’m expecting to see a free for all in the last to make this “one of the worst umpiring displays ever”!

And anyone saying Mundy was spun 720 degrees is just flat out lying. Did a full 360 then handballed it off, wouldn’t even have made it to 400. Arms free and in control the whole time looking to get rid of it, far from a terrible decision.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Of course...Dudley think the umps had a great game! Plus three other people.

🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 10:16pm Of course...Dudley think the umps had a great game! Plus three other people.

🙄
If you can’t even understand a simple post no surprise you can’t understand the rules of AFL!

Just finished the replay, and wowee what an absolute overreaction by the usuals.

Plenty of 50/50s went for us and plenty against, that’s how 50/50s work.

There were 3 shockers for the game, 2 non calls for Dunstan and the non 50 to Matera when Hunter drove him into the ground after a mark in the forward line (funny how no one had mentioned that on here...)

Won the free kick count 18-16, we had a better run in the first half and them the second. If you think this is one of the worst umpired games ever then I think you’re never going to be satisfied!

And lastly, using the upset crowd as a gauge of good or bad umpiring is laughable. If you do, then you can never complain about the WCE crowd again! Today they were booing blatantly 100% correct free kicks, just because it went against St Kilda.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 10:16pm Of course...Dudley think the umps had a great game! Plus three other people.

If you can’t even understand a simple post no surprise you can’t understand the rules of AFL!

Just finished the replay, and wowee what an absolute overreaction by the usuals.

There were 3 shockers for the game, 2 non calls for Dunstan and the non 50 to Matera when Hunter drove him into the ground after a mark in the forward line (funny how no one had mentioned that on here...)

Won the free kick count 18-16, we had a better run in the first half and them the second. If you think this is one of the worst umpired games ever then I think you’re never going to be satisfied!

And lastly, using the upset crowd as a gauge of good or bad umpiring is laughable. If you do, then you can never complain about the WCE crowd again! Today they were booing blatantly 100% correct free kicks, just because it went against St Kilda.
I measured Mundy’s spin at 450, but you see that every week and it’s not paid as a free. No issues there.

Matera had gone three steps over the mark so Clark was entitled to hold him up. I reckon Matera took a huge dive to try to get 50. It didn’t matter anyhow because he kicked the goal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saint64
Club Player

People claiming this was the worst umpiring they have ever seen have clearly not seen us playing the Eagles here in Perth!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:00pm

🙄

Thank god you're here dud. Hope you've had a coffee! :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:12pm
The_Dud wrote:

I measured Mundy’s spin at 450, but you see that every week and it’s not paid as a free. No issues there.
Agree

Carlisle had restricted Mundy but needed to get some body on body contact once he'd stopped him. Try and actually prize the footy loose or tackle the player to the ground. Mundy did what most players would do and looked for an option before releasing the footy.

Yes it was line ball, but I believe that umpies always allow a player a certain amount of time to correctly dispose of the footy. If it was so obvious a free, why didn't the other umpires that were further away from the action call it?

It seems in the modern game that you can hold on to the footy when you get tackled and they just call it 'no prior'. If the footy gets knocked out in a tackle and you haven't had prior opprtunity it's play on. Sometimes when you get tackled you get given a while to see if you can dispose of the footy by hand or foot, so the interpretation of 'holding the ball' has definitely changed over the years

Carlisle seems to be always hard done by with arm chops, pushes in the back and I'm yet to see him earn a free when he's been held onto. Anyway, take the ambiguity out of it next time Jake and do what you can and worry about what you can control. He needs to get some nastiness into his game and some physicality against his opponents instead of trying to dance with them

Special
Club Player

saint64 wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:14pm People claiming this was the worst umpiring they have ever seen have clearly not seen us playing the Eagles here in Perth!
That’s true but given it was in Melbourne against an interstate team the roles should be a reversed a bit.

I think the anger is about the AFL promoting someone based on gender not ability. That was self evident today as it was last time she tried to ruin our game

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 10:13pm Just finished the third quarter and the umpiring has been perfectly fine except for the one shocker for Dunstan not getting in the back. So I’m expecting to see a free for all in the last to make this “one of the worst umpiring displays ever”!

And anyone saying Mundy was spun 720 degrees is just flat out lying. Did a full 360 then handballed it off, wouldn’t even have made it to 400. Arms free and in control the whole time looking to get rid of it, far from a terrible decision.
540° was what the commentators called it, it looked like that to me.

But what do I know, what is the actual rules on holding the ball Dud?

Gerard Healy seemed to think it was a free.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

mbogo wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 6:46pm This is such a bulls*** thread ... although - the umpires arguing over the worst decision was very funny!
I thought - s*** they are getting a few frees sometime early in the last quarter - but checked the stats and we were 17 to 10 up!!!!
They did the classic evener-uppers - and had zero impact on the game IMHO!
The fact that people on here are complaining when the final difference was 18 - 16 our way, and people blame the female umpire, just makes me cringe!! We should have kicked better and made more of our earlier opportunities!
I have seen umpiring differences of 10 - 30 against us - thread is absurd!!!
Today wasn’t about numbers

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...