Second Ruck for 2020 and beyond

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Second Ruck for 2020 and beyond

For the first time in a while, an interesting market for second-string ruckmen has emerged.

Lots of clubs are writing off their second ruckmen (including us it seems) and will be on lookout for new clubs.

Expensive:
- Todd Goldstein is obviously the one we're keenest on, but he's super expensive and wants three years without performance-extension triggers (which would take him to 35 years old). Will want to be the #1 ruck ahead of Marshall.

Mid-high range:
- Josh Jenkins has been frozen out at Adelaide but is talented, can play forward, does have a fairly lucrative contract.

Bargain-basement options as a 2nd option include:
- Zac Smith has hugely fallen out of favour at Geelong (six games in two years) but was the reason Gold Coast offloaded Tom Hickey to us. Can still ruck extremely well.
- Braydon Preuss has talent but not had a great year at Melbourne and doesn't work with Gawn. Has shown he can handle first-choice duties and will look for a club who can offer that.
- Nathan Vardy has had an inconsistent year at West Coast after doing well in a Premiership-winning team last year. But at Geelong, I thought he showed talent as a forward with a fantastic pair of hands. Concern about injuries and does get beaten by #1 ruckmen, but would be cover for both Marshall and Bruce. Cheaper than Jenkins but not as good, either.
- Andrew Phillips can ruck competitively. But Carlton are unlikely to let him go as he has shown he can win hit-outs in the absence of the ageing/injury-prone Kreuzer, who turns 31 next year.

Cheapest option:
- Keep Billy Longer or Lewis Pierce and hope one of them kicks on or at least becomes fit enough on a regular basis to cover Marshall.
- Find a VFL/SANFL star and take him through the draft (always an option I like for ruckmen, but I don't know enough about them).

---------

I'm warming to Jenkins as a really good option. Preuss is the best long-term option there, but he won't want to play 2nd string at a 3rd club.

Goldstein will be a great teacher for Marshall...but is it overkill having two "#1 ruckmen"? Same with considering Sam Jacobs.

The reason that Gawn and Preuss didn't work was well-covered off during the week by Terry Wallace - Preuss can't go forward, which is where he spends 80% of his time if he's playing in the same team as Gawn.

At least with Jenkins, you get somebody who can cover Marshall and Bruce for the next two-three years, which is quite handy given both have a genuine bash-and-crash style.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Second Ruck for 2020 and beyond

We have three tall forwards for next year

Can’t have a second Ruck resting there and not providing Forward half pressure

3 small at least are a must

Jenkins is not much chop

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

With a team consisting of Marshall, Bruce, Membrey, King, Carlisle, Battle and Brown I don’t think there’s room for another tall, especially a slow lumbering one.

I’m happy for Bruce/Carlisle giving Marshall the occasional chop out, not sure how Goldy would fit into the side.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Legendary
Club Player

Agree with above two posts. Plan for 2020 and beyond will have King in the side with Bruce and Membrey. Although they are all fairly mobile, a resting ruckman would be too much in my view.

Ideally we would find a utility who can play ruck and give Marshall a chop out. The modern Jason Blake. If Carlisle didn't have his back issues, he could play this role. King will end up being too good as a forward to play 10 min a quarter as a ruckman.

If we do go for someone mature, Paddy Ryder would be my preference.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

OPTION B: None of those listed in the OP.

We do not need a No 1 Ruck. We need a back up No 1 Ruck.

Just either find a State Leauge level ruck who will be grateful to play at Sandy with the occasional seniors game hoping that he can impress.

Ora young, but cheap ruck option to be developed and fill in for Marshall if injured.

Remember that Marshall was a rookie.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:30pm With a team consisting of Marshall, Bruce, Membrey, King, Carlisle, Battle and Brown I don’t think there’s room for another tall, especially a slow lumbering one.

I’m happy for Bruce/Carlisle giving Marshall the occasional chop out, not sure how Goldy would fit into the side.
That’s okay as long as Marshall doesn’t fall over. What happens - God forbid - if he has a season ending injury.

Not sure Carlisle could or would do it full time. Nor Bruce.

We need a backup for Roma. Scour the state leagues for a start. Surely there’s a mobile, able bodied ruckman somewhere.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:46pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:30pm With a team consisting of Marshall, Bruce, Membrey, King, Carlisle, Battle and Brown I don’t think there’s room for another tall, especially a slow lumbering one.

That’s okay as long as Marshall doesn’t fall over. What happens - God forbid - if he has a season ending injury.

Not sure Carlisle could or would do it full time. Nor Bruce.

We need a backup for Roma. Scour the state leagues for a start. Surely there’s a mobile, able bodied ruckman somewhere.
Yep definitely need a backup, but the likes of Goldy and Jenkins aren’t going to come over to play for Sandy.

Pierce showed something so maybe keep him, and don’t we have a few other developing ruckman?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:35pmPlan for 2020 and beyond will have King in the side with Bruce and Membrey.
FWIW, I don't see King as a viable ruck option until he's 22 or so (currently 19).Young ruckmen get battered, bruised and never last as long as those who build their bodies up.

That's why VFL ruckmen are often excellent bargains late in the national draft or in the rookie draft.

Max has a long, long way to go before he should get sent to the middle IMO. I'm very wary about what could happen to him up there when I think his biggest impact with us will be as a forward.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:55pm Yep definitely need a backup, but the likes of Goldy and Jenkins aren’t going to come over to play for Sandy.

Pierce showed something so maybe keep him, and don’t we have a few other developing ruckman?
I wonder if that makes Nathan Vardy an option as a very cheap back-up for 2-3 years. Offers cover in both forward and ruck and will fall right down the order once Natanui returns.
bigcarl wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:46pm That’s okay as long as Marshall doesn’t fall over. What happens - God forbid - if he has a season ending injury.
We presently have no plan to deal with this, outside of hoping Billy Longer comes back to AFL football (somewhat unlikely) or Lewis Pearce develops extensively over summer (very unlikely).

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I dont think clubs are dropping the two ruck options unless you are thinking about the old dinosaur Longer type of player
Clubs are definitely hot for the 1 primary and second forward type but the 2nd must be good as a ruck also - its one reason why the combo worked very well for collingwood
For us thats not Bruce Acres or Carlisle
IF the young KIng can handle the pounding then he is the obvious choice 2nd ruck
If we end up with two Kings then the options open right up

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think the reality is that the only way we fit two rucks into the team is if ruck number two displaces one of Bruce or Carlisle.
After that it’s just depth seeking

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Bruce can continue to play the role we just need backups for Marshall if he is ever injured.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Billy Nicholls from GC would come very cheap!

PADDLEPOP1000
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Jason Blake mobile utility good below needs with huge engine., might be good. How tall is Tomlinson and does he ever spend time in the ruck?

Nee!
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy Ryder from PA might be getable. And he's a similar type of player to RoMa ... they could rotate through the FP & provide a tall option giving Skunk license to roam far and wide.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 3:08pm I think the reality is that the only way we fit two rucks into the team is if ruck number two displaces one of Bruce or Carlisle.
Well Tomlinson chops out for the GWS rucks. Has won more HOs than Bruce. We are rumoured to be picking him up as a FA, and if so giving Marshall a chop out might be part of his match day duties.

While we still need a genuine back up ruck, for our best 22 it could be Marshall, supported by Tomlinson with Max taking some tapwork up forward, and Carlisle some down back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 2:28pm We have three tall forwards for next year

Can’t have a second Ruck resting there and not providing Forward half pressure

3 small at least are a must

Jenkins is not much chop
Agreed.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 3:17pm Bruce can continue to play the role we just need backups for Marshall if he is ever injured.
Been done to death
It broke him

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

He's been mentioned by Devilhead he's out of contract and CAN play the dual role
Mabior Chol

Seeya
Shaggy
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 9:06pm He's been mentioned by Devilhead he's out of contract and CAN play the dual role
Mabior Chol
Max King plays a dual role also.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 9:06pm He's been mentioned by Devilhead he's out of contract and CAN play the dual role
Mabior Chol
A guy like Chol reminds me of Aliir Aliir from the Swans. Very versatile. Can play ruck, forward, or in defense.

Would be a fantastic coup and a wise decision for us to target Chol in light of us probably recruiting Biggy in November. One of them could take over from Carlisle when he retires.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10- ... impressive

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-07- ... -for-biggy

saintbob
SS Life Member

I’d go knocking on Tom Boyd’s door, offer him a 2yr deal on reasonable money (whatever we pay Longer) and see if he enjoys his footy without the weight of a huge contract

Give Gubby the job to go out and convince him

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 12:03am I’d go knocking on Tom Boyd’s door, offer him a 2yr deal on reasonable money (whatever we pay Longer) and see if he enjoys his footy without the weight of a huge contract

Give Gubby the job to go out and convince him
Not a bad thought

saint6709
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 16 Aug 2019 11:50pm
Mabior Chol
A guy like Chol reminds me of Aliir Aliir from the Swans. Very versatile. Can play ruck, forward, or in defense.

Would be a fantastic coup and a wise decision for us to target Chol in light of us probably recruiting Biggy in November. One of them could take over from Carlisle when he retires.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10- ... impressive

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-07- ... -for-biggy
Agree 100% on chol and have posted on him before - alir alir in 30 mins I watched last night smacked Gawn - smaller versatile ruck like the role he played last night is what we need to work in tandem with Marshall - I can agree with other posters saying that to ruck a Goldstien type with Marshall leaves us too tall and slow - and also agree with those who say that Marshall almost gives us another midfielder - so can we get another bloke who plays a bit like Marshall ie contributes around the ground ? - Chol looks the type who could do that

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Agree with sRr, if we are lucky enough to sign up Tomlinson, then he supports Marshall on the ground. I'm not a fan of Carlisle or Bruce doing it, they both have very important jobs already rather than getting caught at stoppages.

Agree we should keep King (hopefully both of them) away from the ruck until 2025! Let them bulk up and give the oppo headaches at either end of the ground.

I believe Membrey is very mobile, actually looks faster and more mobile than some of our smalls. This is why Paddy Ryder & Marshall could rotate through the ruck / forward pocket / interchange.

If we don't get a Ryder, then we do need to bank a couple of rucks, Nicholls or Knoll, at Sandy.

Forget Pierce & Longer, that's the past. We have a great chance now to dictate our future.