Lessons from the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lessons from the Blues

evertonfc wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 8:22pm Good summary OP.

Except I thought Kruezer obliterated Marshall.

That’s so annoying because Kruezer is slow, awkward and can’t turn. And yet, he got on top in the middle, and Marshall mistimed his leap over and over.

Kruezer took key marks, made big contests and as much as I don’t rate him, he schooled Marshall today. So excruciating to see that unfold.

Has upped our need to find a ruckman who can teach him how to ruck.
not sure if i saw the same thing as you. kruezer finished on top but marshall won the hitout battle comfortably, had one less mark, and 4 less disposals. where kruezer schooled him was contested possessions - had a great game.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Josh Battle
Club Player

He is a much better player this year than he was in the last 2 so at least he is improving

Greg T
Club Player

Trixilver wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 7:25pm Sorry but Newnes must go. I know a few players who had bad games but I would say Newnes had an *average* game for him. Just a class below what we need.
And the other witches hat Sinclair

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
saintkid
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 9:19pm I didn’t watch the game today, but looking at the stats it seems Billings had a good day, 26 touches (17 kicks), kicked a goal and was our 3rd highest rated player. What did (or didn’t) he do to cop so much criticism?
Hi Dud, best to watch a replay if you can. 'Josh Battle' in the post below yours sums him up quite well. Is a receiver, waits for the ball to come to him, struggles to win his own ball and regularly goes missing when it matters. The stats flatter him as many of his possessions are receives from others. He also struggles to kick standard goals from 35 metres or more out and sprayed another today when he was on his own, without any pressure, at a time when it was badly needed.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He played ok. Not a huge influence, but found the footy a bit.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 6:04pm Lesson that I took out of the game. Learn to f****** kick straight.

Bad kicking is f*** awful football.

Kick straight and we win the game. f****** shame .
Yep. 3 sodas in a row in the third quarter. The game turned on that point IMO.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 9:39pm I'm looking forward to the end of the season. Resetting, evaluating, trading, cutting, drafting, pre season & dreaming.

Might not sit well with some but it was honest and a fact. I look forward to leave, doesn't mean I give up on my job, I can't afford to and either can they.

Billings played OK today. People have their players they can't stomach. I know I do. Billings is working to a new level this year, not many others on our list are working to new levels with the exception of Marshall, Clark, Paton, Steele, Gresham, arguably Coffield. Hind and Wilkie are setting their levels.
All that might be true.

But high performance industries are ruthless (and highly-paid) for a reason - you are expected to give above and beyond the normal.

I don’t blame Billings for looking forward to a holiday, as any employee would.

I just wanted him to run out the year playing savage, aggressive, relentless footy that earned him absolute respect and laid a platform for greatness next year.

No offence to the young man, but the great players crave a contest just about every day of their working lives. He’s certainly improved - now we need to see more.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:55pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 9:39pm I'm looking forward to the end of the season. Resetting, evaluating, trading, cutting, drafting, pre season & dreaming.

Might not sit well with some but it was honest and a fact. I look forward to leave, doesn't mean I give up on my job, I can't afford to and either can they.

Billings played OK today. People have their players they can't stomach. I know I do. Billings is working to a new level this year, not many others on our list are working to new levels with the exception of Marshall, Clark, Paton, Steele, Gresham, arguably Coffield. Hind and Wilkie are setting their levels.
All that might be true.

But high performance industries are ruthless (and highly-paid) for a reason - you are expected to give above and beyond the normal.

I just wanted him to run out the year playing savage, aggressive, relentless footy that earned him absolute respect and laid a platform for greatness next year.

No offence to the young man, but the great players crave a contest just about every day of their working lives. He’s certainly improved - now we need to see more.
I'm sure we will evertonfc.

If Billings had played two seasons like Newnes, 9 return games like Carlisle, the season from hell by Hanners, the inconsistency of Sinclair, Lonie, Bruce, Dunstan, Acres and he was caught out looking forward to the end of the season, fair enough. Hell, even if he was in our bottom dozen today, fair enough.

I don't know who people think we have with JB, he's not Kelly, he's not the Bont but he's shown the resolve to improve. If only everyone on our list showed that, we'd still be in the finals race.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Billings is a pretty decent player but he is not a match winner.

In a decent team he would be much better value than he is with us. He is the icing, but wit us he has no cake

Saints are at present a vanilla a team bereft of players who can win and turn games. Marshall may become one such player, but against the Blues it was Kruersr who stepped up and won the game in the last quarter.

We have a pedestrian midfield and as long as that remain the same we are going to remain a a bottom 8 team.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Greg T wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 9:54pm
Trixilver wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 7:25pm Sorry but Newnes must go. I know a few players who had bad games but I would say Newnes had an *average* game for him. Just a class below what we need.
And the other witches hat Sinclair
Add Lonie to the must go list, he was absolutely insipid today.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Forward line needs work. We simply do not have enough reliable avenues to goal.

Bruce gives it everything, but too often it’s not the percentage play to kick to him.

When he’s being well beaten like yesterday, we really need alternatives.

I can see why Carlisle was moved forward. That was worth a shot. Battle would be another option.

saintbob
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:09am Forward line needs work. We simply do not have enough reliable avenues to goal.

Bruce gives it everything, but too often it’s not the percentage play to kick to him.

I can see why Carlisle was moved forward. That was worth a shot. Battle would be another option.
Agree, when Carlisle went forward Bruce should’ve gone back.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:55pm
I didn't take it as him looking forward to a holiday.

I took it that it's been a shitty year and he wants it to be over.

It started with McCartin, Carlisle and Roberton going down - then just pretty much got worse from there. Steven, Hannebury, Kent all done.

Then finally Gresham and Coffield too.

And of course, the coach gets the arse.

We've known we weren't a contender for the past 3 months.

As a supporter I lost interest by about round 7. I don't blame the players for wanting this season over.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:09am Forward line needs work. We simply do not have enough reliable avenues to goal.

Our total scores this year :
21 games : 76 points or less 16 times.

Between 68 and 73 points : 12 times

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

and maybe Langlands - although of course its his first year? Langlands and Gresh play we win?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 11:17pm
saynta wrote: Sat 17 Aug 2019 6:04pm Lesson that I took out of the game. Learn to f****** kick straight.

Bad kicking is f*** awful football.

Kick straight and we win the game. f****** shame .
Yep. 3 sodas in a row in the third quarter. The game turned on that point IMO.
+1

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 2:12am

Agree, when Carlisle went forward Bruce should’ve gone back.
Bruce hasn't played back in years. Carslile is useless as a forward and can hardly bend over to pick up the ball.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle is a liability full stop, unless he can zone off and take intercept marks.

If he has to defend, or pick the ball up of the deck, he is terrible

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Not to play an unfit player.

Jack Steven was great last week, despite been a tad portly. This week he was off the pace from the get go. I'm guessing he didn't completely recover from last week and the extra space of the MCG didn't help.

We virtually played one short from the get go.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saints selection knew Steven was a beacon, begging to be taken advantage of after his first game. He duly was.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Newnes would be no loss. Gresh is a big loss. Langlands will be important. Coffield was a significant out. We still nearly won effectively one short and Kreuzer playing a blinder. Ratten has several players either on notice or with an exit interview scheduled if he gets the gig. Players without preseasons - and we had several - find it hard going on big grounds in pressure games. Long is enigmatic trending to problematic. A good reliable key forward would get us a finals game. Clark is a gun and will soon be our best player. At the Gabba we learnt DMac having C. Cameron kick goals on him is not necessarily a disgrace - CC did it against the former top side and in the top few for the Coleman. We are tantalisingly close but just need a few key pieces to be put in place.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I agree that bad kicking cost us, but they also kicked poorly.

I think we also tried to play tempo football after we got 4 goals up and that played into their hands. They kicked 2 quick goals and we never really got the benefits of that scoreboard pressure that they would have felt had we just played aggressive footy and kept piling on the attack.

I reckon one of the other main lessons our guys need to take from this match is never underestimate your opponents

Casboult, Thomas, and bloody little skinny Kade Simpson needed to paid more respect

Marshall amd Seb Ross were amongst our best but their direct opponents in Kreuzer and Murphy were match winners.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Murphy played on the wing, Seb did not.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:34am

Our total scores this year :
21 games : 76 points or less 16 times.

Between 68 and 73 points : 12 times
That is an alarming stat. If Ratts gets the gig full time - and I hope he does - our inability to hit the scoreboard has to be the priority fix.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Aug 2019 6:03pm Murphy played on the wing, Seb did not.
Maybe so for the first half, but I saw Sebby lining up on him at stoppages in the 3rd and 4th quarters