The August dilemma

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The August dilemma

Unfortunately it’s just a fact of this business that all coaches need to be told of their tenure at the start of August. If you are near the bottom of the table generally there is more movement with staff. I can categorically vouch for the professionalism of all our assistants but obviously some have been told they will be moved on. The poaching and manoeuvring of assistants during this time is quite unbelievable and very time consuming. Not knowing for sure who will be senior coach also makes it harder to lock down new coaches, thus the appointments of Teague and Shaw.
In our situation we are between a rock and a hard place. Give Rats the job now we can lock down some new assistants, or follow the process and “hopefully” pick the right candidate and thus miss out on some assistants that have taken a job.
So before you knock the team, the effort, the coaches etc for last weekend think of all the conundrums that are happening.

P.S. For what it’s worth the senior coach now barely makes a positional move on match day. Fagan, Worsfold, etc. Clarkson does it all before game day. We need a coach who is not fire and brimstone. I think it will be Brett.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: The August dilemma

I guess that’s why our kicking was so bad.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Sequence: Pick senior coach; then cull unwanted players; then choose assistants from best available; in that order. Market for assistants must be good for the buyers and the chemistry with senior coach has to be good. One of the big problems that Richo had to cope with was his rubber stamping the Paddy selection, not so much for the opportunity cost of an alternative pick in that draft but it put back the recruitment of a (new) key forward five years. The SC has to have a say in the list decisions - not a veto - but his/her views have to carry a lot of weight. Assistants... well plenty of quality fish in the sea; Asian trawlers and Essendon notwithstanding.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to see them appoint a Senior coach sooner rather than later. Won’t be upset if it’s Ratten. Surely all the potential candidates are known at this stage and there is no-one to come out of the woodwork. Scott, Ratten, maybe Harves, anyone else?

Would be happy to expedite the ‘process’ so we can get on with the business of 2020.

Legendary
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2019 9:53pm
P.S. For what it’s worth the senior coach now barely makes a positional move on match day. Fagan, Worsfold, etc. Clarkson does it all before game day. We need a coach who is not fire and brimstone. I think it will be Brett.
I work a lot with guys under 30. They generally hate being yelled at, they hate being controlled and told what to do - they want a bit of love, a bit of mateship and a purpose that they can believe in and commit to.

Heard Bucks speak at a charity event earlier this year and he said he'd done a 180 in his personality and style since he began as coach. It was all about patience, love, positive encouragement and not setting standards that were unattainable but rather getting buy-in around simple things that everyone could get on board with.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

tony74 wrote: Mon 19 Aug 2019 9:53pm
with respect what you are describing there is harking back to Ross Lyon days - who was a good week day coach but a poor game day coach - there was a formula that he had planned and it was executed to the minute on game day
Or putting it another way are you saying that Ratten planned to move Carlisle forward against the blues and Bruce back?
Or it is a plan for blake acres going into the game having no idea where is going to end up?
They look at scenarios during the week but as for no positional moves on the day I dont agree

Seeya