Let's press the reset button NOW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Let's press the reset button NOW

Please, no more --

*mediocre players being gifted games
*mediocre players getting contract extensions
*mediocre coaches taking pay-cheques without getting results
*sense that "things will improve if we just stick fat".

When Richo got the sack there was talk from GT and others that the club needs to "think big".
There was talk of a Godfather offer to Clarkson.
It didn't last long.
Now we're talking Ratten as coach and a contract extension to Newnes.
What the F*** is going on?
HIT THE RESET BUTTON NOW.

robbie muir
Club Player

Re: Let's press the reset button NOW

If the club is giving 2 year contracts to Newnes and Lonie still has a year to go on his contract this club isn’t going anywhere. Absolutely embarrassing.
After 44 years of continuous membership and attending games regularly for over 50 years, I will seriously consider whether I renew for next year.
They say in life that once you lose hope there is nothing left.
At the moment I have very little hope.
The following should not be on the list next year.

Lonie
Newnes
Pierce
Longer
Rice
Armitage
Mcartin (retire)
Robertson (retire)
Phillips
Rowe
White

And a few others that should be traded.
I can’t see them making a dozen changes to the list, so don’t expect much in 2020.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Clark was our only player today who you could rely on - under pressure - to use the ball cleanly and choose the right options

We need to recruit more of this type of player - you can't coach or develop players to have this flair to create time and space under pressure.
This is an innate ability.

Recruiting is the key -we need to recruit more of this type of player.
A half dozen would be nice.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 24 Aug 2019 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And what’s Clarkson going to do with this list

He ain’t doing much with a better team

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Add a very selective/merciless retention policy to that Samy Oht and I could not agree more.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I am becoming a big fan of Ratten especially after the coaches message today. Anyone who doesn't think Ratten is thinking about coaching us next year, go listen to his coaches message after today. He is not happy.

He is sick of the poor shots on goal and missed opportunities. he thought our skill level overall was poor. He then goes onto say that we have to move players out that cant play at the afl level and bring in players that can. And he is going to train the guys hard over the offseason on skills. About F#$kign time.

Not saying he will be our coach but he has a plan, and one that will clear out list cloggers and focus on poor skills. hard to argue with that

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Club heirachy needs to hear the serious rumblings from long-term Club supporters. We say that players are accountable for their performance. What about our CEO and others at the administrative top, who have presided over long term profit losses, team and coaching under=performance, recruiting under-performance. Yet - nothing changes at the top. They are the people who make the key decisions on how the Club is run !!!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We had 2 less inside 50s than the swans yet were thrashed.

There is a serious problem with kicking goals at stkilda these past few years. Accuracy is appalling. When you do all the hard work and then kick a point instead of a goal everyone loses confidence.

Membrey had a shot in the last quarter at a reasonable angle and kicked it on the full.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 6:05pm Please, no more --

*mediocre players being gifted games
*mediocre players getting contract extensions
*mediocre coaches taking pay-cheques without getting results
*sense that "things will improve if we just stick fat".

When Richo got the sack there was talk from GT and others that the club needs to "think big".
There was talk of a Godfather offer to Clarkson.
It didn't last long.
Now we're talking Ratten as coach and a contract extension to Newnes.
What the F*** is going on?
HIT THE RESET BUTTON NOW.
I just hit the "reset" button but the entire football club evaporated.
Fortunately I then hit the "undo" button.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Josh Battle
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 7:39pm And what’s Clarkson going to do with this list

What were you saying about Clarkson?

He's masterminded another opportunity for Hawthorn to play finals. Away game too.

Great for their young players. Great for their fans. Great for their sponsors. Great for their membership department if they fall into the 8

Obviously need Port to lose...or not to win by too many and need Adelaide to win...by not too many

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 7:39pm And what’s Clarkson going to do with this list

They're thrashing the legs of West Coast in Perth and may make finals.
But on the other hand they may not make finals - and they lost to us earlier in the year ...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintbob
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 7:51pm I am becoming a big fan of Ratten especially after the coaches message today. Anyone who doesn't think Ratten is thinking about coaching us next year, go listen to his coaches message after today. He is not happy.

He is sick of the poor shots on goal and missed opportunities. he thought our skill level overall was poor. He then goes onto say that we have to move players out that cant play at the afl level and bring in players that can. And he is going to train the guys hard over the offseason on skills. About F#$kign time.

Not saying he will be our coach but he has a plan, and one that will clear out list cloggers and focus on poor skills. hard to argue with that
Yep I thought the same last week after hearing him say that he ripped some players a new arsehole or words to that effect after their poor efforts against Carlton, but then he lost me at the selection table 6 days later.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Are you watching the Hawks tonight, we should’ve offered this bloke everything we had.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good win

We beat them with AR as coach

What’s your point

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I think the point is Clarkson could not coach Newnes, Steven in his current condition, Lonie, Savage, Rowe or Brown to play two good games in sequence and probably wouldn't even try. He may if in a good mood give Dunstan one off season to get a reasonable kick going; he would ask B. Acres what's your caper pal, why are you turning up. He would send an assistant to enquire of J. Carslise is he intending making any effort soon, to get an understanding like, so we don't waste each other's time too much more.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 11:49pm Good win

We beat them with AR as coach

What’s your point
Exactly

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

They were 5 goals up against us and we only got over the line due to their injuries. It was also on our home deck. Perhaps West Coast would have beaten them too if they'd had 2-3 injuries and concussion to their captain in the first half. With all their injuries you have to hand it to their coaching staff and their leaders for giving themselves an opportunity to play finals.

People say the Hawks haven't got a strong list atm. It's a long season and the mentally strong seem to get the job done when there's plenty riding on the results.

You can't ignore Clarko's record. He leads and he finds a way. Without some of his best players for most of this year and with an aging list and with some very green talent the Hawks have outperformed 2 years running

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2019 12:05am I think the point is Clarkson could not coach Newnes, Steven in his current condition, Lonie, Savage, Rowe or Brown to play two good games in sequence and probably wouldn't even try. He may if in a good mood give Dunstan one off season to get a reasonable kick going; he would ask B. Acres what's your caper pal, why are you turning up. He would send an assistant to enquire of J. Carslise is he intending making any effort soon, to get an understanding like, so we don't waste each other's time too much more.
Good Post that.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintbob
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2019 12:25am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2019 12:05am I think the point is Clarkson could not coach Newnes, Steven in his current condition, Lonie, Savage, Rowe or Brown to play two good games in sequence and probably wouldn't even try. He may if in a good mood give Dunstan one off season to get a reasonable kick going; he would ask B. Acres what's your caper pal, why are you turning up. He would send an assistant to enquire of J. Carslise is he intending making any effort soon, to get an understanding like, so we don't waste each other's time too much more.
Good Post that.
✅

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The game was lost at the selection table.

We threw the towel in by making only one change after the crap we played against Carlton.

Focus was on trade and delistings and drafting plus who will coach us.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Greg T
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 8:31pm The Club heirachy needs to hear the serious rumblings from long-term Club supporters. We say that players are accountable for their performance. What about our CEO and others at the administrative top, who have presided over long term profit losses, team and coaching under=performance, recruiting under-performance. Yet - nothing changes at the top. They are the people who make the key decisions on how the Club is run !!!
Well said
Finnis should of kept going straight out the door with Ricoh,what a joke he is,

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
axcellence
Club Player

robbie muir wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 6:54pm If the club is giving 2 year contracts to Newnes and Lonie still has a year to go on his contract this club isn’t going anywhere. Absolutely embarrassing.
After 44 years of continuous membership and attending games regularly for over 50 years, I will seriously consider whether I renew for next year.
They say in life that once you lose hope there is nothing left.
At the moment I have very little hope.
The following should not be on the list next year.

Lonie
Newnes
Pierce
Longer
Rice
Armitage
Mcartin (retire)
Robertson (retire)
Phillips
Rowe
White

And a few others that should be traded.
I can’t see them making a dozen changes to the list, so don’t expect much in 2020.
I share your sense of hurt.
Too many in the off field have converted the club to a mickey mouse version of a football club.

Contract extension offer to Newnes just to hope for a 2nd round pick. Reality is that nobody would offer him anything remotely similar or above barring gold coast. Will likely take up the saints offer and will stink it up in afl/vfl.

McKenzie 3 year extension - what a joke! The guy can barely make the VFL team best list.

Mccartin contract extension last year. Will go through motions past list cut off deadline to retire straight after.

The VFL team is a schmozzle and it percolates into development when players step up to the AFL.

Hopeless in the off field stakes and I don't see any hope under the current management. We can all just go for a sleep and come back in 5 years to see if anything has changed.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 11:28pm

What were you saying about Clarkson?

He's masterminded another opportunity for Hawthorn to play finals. Away game too.

Great for their young players. Great for their fans. Great for their sponsors. Great for their membership department if they fall into the 8

Obviously need Port to lose...or not to win by too many and need Adelaide to win...by not too many
The Hawk recruiters deserve most of the praise.

There's been some great established players recruited by the Hawks, over the last couple of years, to add to their skillful and talented list

I mean .. Scully, Wyngard, Frawley, Tom Mitchell, O'Meara, etc.... added to their already skillful and talented list (with Isaac Smith, Breust, Burgoyne, Sicily, Shiels, Gunston, McEvoy, etc.... the last three were also recruited from other clubs, let's not forget).

Then there's Warpole .. what a draft pick!

We could have used these talented players.

This is what makes Hawthorn a great club... and how they have managed to sustain their success.
Their recruiting!

If anything, they have under-achieved under Clarkson this year .. they arguably have a list that should be playing in the GF again this year (and they might still sneak in to the finals, who knows?) - but their recruiters have certainly excelled themselves over the years (and in the last few years).
Last edited by samoht on Sun 25 Aug 2019 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn are a proud club, we are not.

Hawthorn reset and established the four pillars for AFL success, Coaching, Recruiting, Development and Culture (effectively Administration).

One cannot survive and prosper without the other.

St Kilda is the definition of insanity at present. For that to change so do our 4 pillars.

Coach - TICK
Recruiting - (Stay out of it Lethlean)
Development - (Just balance the books Gallagher, don't lock in players with no upside)
Administration - work together, not as individuals looking for resume examples, and work for the betterment of St Kilda...rewards will follow.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I know I sound like a broken record, but we need to find a way to lure top end talent and fast.

I don’t know how, but find someway to make playing for this club desirable again. Shiel has proven that money may not be the answer - practically halved his potential salary to play for the Dons. Maybe appointing a coach which players want to play for - like the Blight appointment.

The likes of Billings, Acres, Ross and Sinclair aren’t the answer and improve enough to bridge that talent gap.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.