Has today's heavy loss hurt Ratten's chances??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Has today's heavy loss hurt Ratten's chances??

The short answer to this question, IMHO is "quite likely".

The players today failed to give any indication that they were hungry to win or to demonstrate that they want to play for their coach, in the way that both Carlton and North Melbourne players have done.

Perhaps it was a case of players believing there was nothing in particular to play for because that was certainly an impression we could deduce from a very poor level of teamwork, woeful skills and lack of intensity.

I remain open-minded about the leading contenders: the choice between Brett Ratten and Brad Scott, either one would be good! Unlike a lot of fanatic Saints supporters I would be quite pleased to see Brad Scott become the new St Kilda coach - he possesses the required level of discipline and ruthlessness to make a lot of Saints players that are on the verge of playing 100+ games achieve elite levels of skills and blend them into a team that will play finals in 2020.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Has today's heavy loss hurt Ratten's chances??

who ?

ss1986
Club Player

Got no problem with Brad Scott, IF he is the best out there.

I just watched the coach’s summary, and I feel that Ratten would be a great choice.

The strong statement about moving players out that can’t hit targets/execute is enough for me.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I think the Saints players in today's game gave it their best, that shows Ratten what he'll be working with if he gets the gig.

The list needs an overhaul, Ratten will need to let Mr Seek know that the list is severely clogged and not to expect miracles.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Leo.J
SS Life Member

If today changes the clubs decision we are f**ked...

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Will make his presentation during the week a bit more important and more difficult.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that the loss is more about the players and their lack of basic skills, than the Coach.

With Ratten's background, you would expect that he would know the strategic side, inside out. He seems to have the players right behind him from a personal perspective, but he can't kick the ball for everyone.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Shouldn't... Because boys switched off 2 weeks ago.. Been a hard year.. The brains trust will know this and its beyond Rattens control.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Has not hurt his chances at all.

After that display of football incompetence who else would want to take on this list.

Anyone with long term coaching dreams will be running away as fast as possible.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Josh Battle
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 7:13pm The short answer to this question, IMHO is "quite likely".

The players today failed to give any indication that they were hungry to win or to demonstrate that they want to play for their coach, in the way that both Carlton and North Melbourne players have done.

Perhaps it was a case of players believing there was nothing in particular to play for because that was certainly an impression we could deduce from a very poor level of teamwork, woeful skills and lack of intensity.

I remain open-minded about the leading contenders: the choice between Brett Ratten and Brad Scott, either one would be good! Unlike a lot of fanatic Saints supporters I would be quite pleased to see Brad Scott become the new St Kilda coach - he possesses the required level of discipline and ruthlessness to make a lot of Saints players that are on the verge of playing 100+ games achieve elite levels of skills and blend them into a team that will play finals in 2020.
IMHO you are wrong. Maybe Newnes, Sinclair, Steven, and Carlisle were lucky to be playing today. Maybe the club didn't want to attract attention to these guys by dropping them to the reserves. Maybe it would highlight how bad they're going and could have jeopardised any potential trade deals

The match committee is more than just Ratten. Lethlean and the board would be leaning on Ratten to include certain players in the team and I think if it was just up to Ratten, he wouldn't have played them.

silverhalo
Club Player

I still like Ratts for senior coach but I think today would have hurt his chances, most definitely. It's not the heavy loss itself but the way that we surrendered so meekly in the second half that would be the concern; always points to an inability to motivate the players, but we'll cut him some slack given it's the last game and there was nothing riding on the game.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No.
But it did hurt some players

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 9:59pm No.
Tony, did we tank?

Because seriously, that was a disgusting effort. Two consecutive weeks now where many just did not ”show up”.

I will say it again, DISGUSTING.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
silverhalo
Club Player

I think Tony's saying that the game was the last nail in the coffin for a few and hopefully that's the case.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Definitely not. Very poor today.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 8:23pm Shouldn't... Because boys switched off 2 weeks ago.. Been
That’s awful for Ratten if they switched off....no excuse! The coach had been sacked....step up or step out!

The only good thing would be, this loss gives the interview panel some great data and video to grill the incoming candidate.

Remember I asked - in my brilliance - if Ratto would have had anything to do with selections right now, and some seem to think Ratts wouldn’t have had much input. Well, I wonder what he would have done if he had a free hand?

Harvs too, could be asked, “what would you do when you see such and such happening?”. Pretty interesting actually. Ow that the season is over.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

For too long we have prioritised effort over skill.
I hope they appoint Ratts because he clearly has had a gutful of poor skill already.
It’s exactly what we need to bring into the club.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Would love to know who Ratts should be traded or exited. Is Ratts hard enough or to keen to be a nice bloke like Richo?

With the season over hopefully we will find out the answer to both questions quite quickly.
tony74 wrote: Sat 24 Aug 2019 9:59pm But it did hurt some players
Only some?

Two weeks in a row we have had a dreadful second half.

The softest targets are the cameo players who disappear for large stretches. Acres, Long...and even the fumbly Hind who just does not make decisions quick enough.

Then there are Ross and Dunstan who work hard, get a lot of ball, but are often just way too wasteful. Front line mids they are not.

Carlisle looking disinterested.

Newnes dreadful. Did they ask Ratts before his contract extension?
DMak not played. But WTFa 3 year extension for him?

etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
1965 Saint
Club Player

We finished in the bottom 6. Mission accomplished. As soon as we couldn’t make finals that was the drum.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yep, surely the last two weeks have.

To the top
SS Life Member

I note that the best St Kilda players named yesterday were Hannebery, Steele, Ross and Dunstan, all of whom had reasonable statistics

The item of note however is the number of handballs by each of these players, at least 50% and above in the case of Ross

So what was the effectiveness of these handballs, who did they advantage in space and what was the usage by those receivers?

Noting our forward line consists of Bruce and the 188cm Membrey as marking options

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Yesterday’s game was utterly irrelevant. Players had already checked out for the season.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 25 Aug 2019 1:45am
...and even the fumbly Hind who just does not make decisions quick enough.
Touch harsh on Hind. IMO he's been a revelation. The knock on here by some prior to being selected was his disposal. He's been excellent with his decisions & disposal coming into our F50.

Another pre season & he could very well be one of the first picked in our forward line. As with Parker, both will benefit from their experiences this year.

Players who have been on our list for more than 3 years should & would be extremely nervous over the coming weeks.

To the top
SS Life Member

Hind is not of AFL standard

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I will say this for Ratten... no mincing of the words post match from the coach.

No I was really proud of the effort and if only we’d tskrn our chances blah blah blah.

A straight out I’m am sick of the skill errors. We should have been in front at halftime.
Going to prioritise this in the off-season or something like that