Josh Bruce to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Josh Bruce to be traded?

We do not score enough

And we have too much scored against us

Hence our percentage - over many years now

So is this result exclusively down to our mid field deficiencies?

Or do we have deficiencies elsewhere as well?

I think we have deficiencies elsewhere as well - and they all need to be addressed

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:15pm I’d like to point out that Rhys Stanley has played 73 games (inc multiple finals), averaged 13 ppg and kicked 45 goals and averaged over 20 hit outs per game for Geelong. A s sure as sh*t will be included this week after last weeks farcical mistake.

Hugh Goddard played 10 games for StK

That’s the thing with trading a player for a pick, a player, you know what you’ve got... a pick is always speculative... especially after 10.

Let’s say Bruce goes for pick 14

You know Bruce can play another 80-100 games and kick another 120-150 goals, take a key defender and contest countless marks down the line, work hard up and down the ground.

Pick 14
Could possibly be a Cyril Rioli or probably be a GOP or at worse a bust.

What’s the point of that?

How does that make us better... unless we strike it lucky? How lucky have we been??

The last 3 pick 14s
Harry Perryman, Matthew Long, Jackson Hately

For the record, it should be noted this 100% directed at me. You are very obsessed and it’s disturbing that you like to hide it by not using the quote function.

Secondly, not trading Bruce for pick 14 is crazy. So crazy, we won’t ever get offered pick 14. If we do it’s a miracle.

Thirdly - do you have Stanley’s VFL stats over the weekend? Or maybe this is for the VFL forum? How did he go in the VFL, I’m sure you wondered down?

Wait, Cat’s VFL got eliminated.

Do you have Stanley’s stats for whatever he did last weekend?

howlinwolf
Club Player

I will be very disappointed if Josh goes.
He's a player I can expect to have a real crack every game.
We are light on for forwards now with JB and TM.
We had as many forward entries as WCE this year yet scored 257 less.
Losing JB is going to compound this in the short term.
I can see Josh at CHF and Max at FF being a great combo. Throw in Tim M and we're on the way.

There must be something worthwhile for us to consider moving him.
Maybe the Dogs pick 12 which we give to Freo for Hill and we use pick 5 for Ben King ?

Ratts said at the B+F we need to be bold in trading and drafting.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
To the top
SS Life Member

But didn’t Geelong Seconds not only have Stanley playing for them but, also, the next St Kilda messiah?

So how did they get beaten?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 6:13am
B.M wrote: Wed 11 Sep 2019 7:15pm I’d like to point out that Rhys Stanley has played 73 games (inc multiple finals), averaged 13 ppg and kicked 45 goals and averaged over 20 hit outs per game for Geelong. A s sure as sh*t will be included this week after last weeks farcical mistake.

That’s the thing with trading a player for a pick, a player, you know what you’ve got... a pick is always speculative... especially after 10.

You know Bruce can play another 80-100 games and kick another 120-150 goals, take a key defender and contest countless marks down the line, work hard up and down the ground.

Pick 14

How does that make us better... unless we strike it lucky? How lucky have we been??

The last 3 pick 14s

For the record, it should be noted this 100% directed at me. You are very obsessed and it’s disturbing that you like to hide it by not using the quote function.

Secondly, not trading Bruce for pick 14 is crazy. So crazy, we won’t ever get offered pick 14. If we do it’s a miracle.

Thirdly - do you have Stanley’s VFL stats over the weekend? Or maybe this is for the VFL forum? How did he go in the VFL, I’m sure you wondered down?

I see your point spinner, Stanley is not a top class ruckman or forward, he’s a C grade AFL player.

However the fact remains the Stanley trade was a massive bust for us as he provided and most likely would have continued to provide better service than Hugh Goddard did.

Had Stanley been retained we may not have taken McCartin, who knows?

We know what we have with Bruce, a combative solid B grade KPP who should give us another 100 games. If we trade him for a second rounder and take it to the draft what are the chances the player drafted will be better than Bruce?

If we trade the pick will the player we trade for be better than Bruce?

Lastly if we trade Bruce and bring in fat lumbering has been Ryder and play him as a ruck key forward I’ll spew like Terry Wallace.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:49am

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

I see your point spinner, Stanley is not a top class ruckman or forward, he’s a C grade AFL player.

However the fact remains the Stanley trade was a massive bust for us as he provided and most likely would have continued to provide better service than Hugh Goddard did.

We know what we have with Bruce, a combative solid B grade KPP who should give us another 100 games. If we trade him for a second rounder and take it to the draft what are the chances the player drafted will be better than Bruce?

Lastly if we trade Bruce and bring in fat lumbering has been Ryder and play him as a ruck key forward I’ll spew like Terry Wallace.
So what you are saying is never take a draft pick ever because that player might not turn out.

Rather sit on hands and not do anything.

Stanley isn’t the answer and how posters can use that as an argument is beyond me. Pick 21 was a great trade. Hugh didn’t work out. Result - posters want to avoid the draft forever. It doesn’t work like that unfortunately.

suss
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 5:59pm

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

So what you are saying is never take a draft pick ever because that player might not turn out.

Stanley isn’t the answer and how posters can use that as an argument is beyond me. Pick 21 was a great trade. Hugh didn’t work out. Result - posters want to avoid the draft forever. It doesn’t work like that unfortunately.
Um, is he ... ?

kalsaint
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 3:36pm Difference between bruce and carlisle
We are looking at what we could get for carlisle
Other club are asking what we want for bruce
Tell the rivals to get a three way trade deal done with Freo to enable Bruce elsewhere Hill to Saints with monetary and contractual revision and the third party to arrange the deal with Freo. That's if Bruce must go and I don't recommend this.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 8:24pm

My summary is that Bruce is a required player

But I am of the same view re Carlisle and Acres so what would I know?

Plus I think we have just too many “small forwards” and “small defenders” who are not up to the standard

Plus that we continue to play too many “inside mids” impacting on our demographic negatively

Too many who handball and tackle and do not have the required foot disposal skills

And I do not see the 193cm Battle as a KPP

Then Claravino, again fingers crossed
Bruce to me is a required player. We definitely lost a key forward in Paddy McCartin and hopefully King will start to come on well in his development but Bruce is part of that growth in our forward structure.
Agree we have sought too many small players in general over the years. I've had plenty to say on this over the last 4 years as I disagreed then.

Having Acres move forward is not a long term option. I've heard that Acres will look to go back to WA soon His contract closes before 2021. This comment on Acres movement is not supported by some at SaintSational but I keep getting this message over here in WA. Maybe he should be part of the Hill deal if the comment is true?

On Battle I still see him as a forward in 2 years time. He might make key forward position but we will need to wait and see. He has the gifted long straight kick and strong marking needed for a role like Hammil had in the past or CHF at a pinch.

Membrey to me is the same height as Petracca and should be doing a similar role to him. Mid moving forward due to his marking skill and ability to get of his man. He has the capability to run both ways as the game dictates. Many at the club run one way with exuberance but fail to match the team defence need at times. We still offer contracts to some of these guys. They would be my no1 targets to remove, then small players not being consistent as these guys get tired wheras big fellows don't get smaller..

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

Not sure if highlighted area is a question or a statement, none the less it is ridiculous to write that as it has not been intimated in the slightest.

If in fact it is your interpretation, it answers questions one may have about your general level of comprehension and some of your input to this forum.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
To the top
SS Life Member

Bear in mind that we had no capable tall defenders during the Stanley period hence played him at full back

If they were going to educate him in defence I then thought CHB where he could have impacted the game instead of a last line key defender

When freed from defence he played some good games but lacked consistency - so one reasonable game every 6 or 7

Anyway, as with Hickey, he is gone so there you go (pun intended)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stanley was a crap footballer for us with no heart. Players rated him 44th out of 44 players

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 6:14pm

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

Um, is he ... ?
Yes. Argues the Stanley trade wasn’t worth it because the player selected didn’t meet expectations.

I think what gets missed in addition to picks/other players is the opportunity moving on a player that is average creates. Stanley stays, no pick 21 (which was a fantastic trade)... but ultimately stays first ruck with Marshall not having a hole to step up into.

Average players equal average results. So players that have been on our list for many years , contributing to average results are very tradable. They have to be.

Yet here we are pining over a player that got dropped from a final last week. What a waste of space even discussing this is.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 6:14pm

Pick 14

The last 3 pick 14s

Um, is he ... ?
Apparently I did 😂

Rubyjo
Club Player

Bruce has informed the club he has had a massive offer from the dogs and if a good deal is worked out he will go.. If not he is very happy to stay...

Rocket
Club Player

Dogs have Pick 12 & 30. Not sure what Bruce is worth.... maybe something in-between? Not worth 12, same time worth more than 30.

The thinking must be around Ben King and setting up for a crack next year. Cash in chips this year with Bruce. Then the forward line shapes with Max, Ben and Membrey. Could explain the Ryder short term fix, Marshall and Ryder alternate at CHF, Max King and Membrey the 3rd tall.

Emotions aside there is some logic here.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So it’s a certainty

We will have Ben King 2021?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Be a real laugh (not) if GC somersaulted us and got Max to join his brother up there!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Spinner

Stanley must’ve done enough to be promoted?!

I think I saw him running around on the weekend?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Ratten just said on AFL 360 that Bruce is contracted for 2020 and Ratten wants him at the Saints

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
diddley
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:24pm Interesting that Ratten just said on AFL 360 that Bruce is contracted for 2020 and Ratten wants him at the Saints
That is a great way of forcing the bulldogs to part with their pick 12.
“He is required”
“What if we gave you pick 12”
“All yours buddy”

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:18pm
Wayne42 wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 9:24pm Interesting that Ratten just said on AFL 360 that Bruce is contracted for 2020 and Ratten wants him at the Saints
“He is required”
“All yours buddy”
What do the Saints do with pick 12 ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I can't see Dogs giving us pick 12 for Bruce.

Anyway, how are Bruce and the Dogs talking about a lucrative deal when he is already contracted to the Saints? Dogs should be going through the club. This just sounds a bit wrong to me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 12:55am
diddley wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 10:18pm
“He is required”
“All yours buddy”
What do the Saints do with pick 12 ?
Draft a half back flanker usually

Nee!
To the top
SS Life Member

If they are of the quality and skill set of Clark and Coffield I have no problem with that

Then again I have always believed that you build good sides from defence

The problem is the proliferation of “small defenders” and “small forwards” on our List and not to the required standard

Clark and Coffield will sort out the defence demographic - seeing some others delisted as surplus to requirements

Now for a couple of class small forwards

Along with our other requirements