What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: What’s the latest on Jack Steven?

prwilkinson wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 2:19pm
B.M wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:50pm We take pick 52 for Steven

We are a loser club
+1
Maybe its the supporters that are losers.
Recruiting staff is different.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Vazelos
Club Player

They are trying to get him on the cheap typical geelong arrogant as ever

longtimesaint
Club Player

Hate Geelong - hope Richmond smash them.

One year will be our year
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:50pm We take pick 52 for Steven

We are a loser club
Surely we get pick 34 for Jack.....surely

Laurie
Club Player

Hope Tigers win and win well to wipe the smile of Scott Dangerfield Ablett and all the other Geelong supporters faces

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:13am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 17 Sep 2019 5:29pm
B.M wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 8:01pm Seperate issues

Are you saying he was not happy because he didn’t get traded, and stopped playing?
Even though he is on a 600k contract.

Players can’t just move when they want, there is mechanisms that don’t allow that.

Drafting, trading, contracts.
Potentially not so far off....
Imagine a player and his wife want to move.
He can't. His club wants him still.
His wife is applying lots of pressure.
She begins to travel back and forth without him and stay with friends and family from let's say 1-4 days at a time.

He's alone.
He might see someone else whilst lonely and make some bad choices.
Now his missus finds out and she leaves.
Bloke not only has his wife to contend but also sadly s*** in his own backyard.

Now he is depressed and anxious and a wreck.

That's quite a connection from - I want to go....

Also seen it play out with homesickness leading to drugs and alcohol.

So, yes. Being denied a move ( particularly when he literally begged Richo & co.) can ( doesn't HAVE to) have big consequences....if this was a true story....but yes, all fake news, never happened, shut my mouth, move on, prove it or remove it, all crap lies, dont post it unless you have sworn statements, cctv and forensic evidence, etc etc etc.
Yeah but it’s not like he’s on the other side of the country, it’s an hour down the road, and he’s (should be) a millionaire!

I find it hard to believe a compromise couldn’t be made if that is the case. This whole thing stinks to me, and the sooner he’s out and we can say what we really think the better 👍

I wholeheartedly agree.

takeaway
Club Player

Jack is contracted next year, the club has and is supporting him throughout his difficult times, and I can't see why we should bend over and accept unders if he wishes to go to Geelong.

He is a great player, just last year he polled 18 votes in the Brownlow, was probably worth a top 10 pick at that time, if he gets fit I would think he would have at least a couple of good years, up to his standard, left. He is only 30 next year.

Pick 34? I would hope not. I would be going for a late first or early second pick, say up to pick 25. Not sure what Constable is like, haven't seen him. If Geelong don't offer a reasonable pick/player, I would be sticking to my guns and saying no deal. Jack is then free to play with Saints, or move to Lorne and sit out the year. If Cats picked him up next year, as he is a FA we would be compensated - I think. AFL is a tough business, we are a small club, and should get fair value.

Ideally Jack or his manager should make some form of statement (assuming he wishes to go), to the effect that he would prefer to go to Geelong, but would consider staying at Saints if a fair deal is not reached. Other players have done similar. Stephen Wells is apparently good to deal with, usually gets his man, and is not that concerned about squeezing every last drop from trade deals. Better than Essendon and some others anyway.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 5:24pm Jack is contracted next year, the club has and is supporting him throughout his difficult times, and I can't see why we should bend over and accept unders if he wishes to go to Geelong.

He is a great player, just last year he polled 18 votes in the Brownlow, was probably worth a top 10 pick at that time, if he gets fit I would think he would have at least a couple of good years, up to his standard, left. He is only 30 next year.

Pick 34? I would hope not. I would be going for a late first or early second pick, say up to pick 25. Not sure what Constable is like, haven't seen him. If Geelong don't offer a reasonable pick/player, I would be sticking to my guns and saying no deal. Jack is then free to play with Saints, or move to Lorne and sit out the year. If Cats picked him up next year, as he is a FA we would be compensated - I think. AFL is a tough business, we are a small club, and should get fair value.

Ideally Jack or his manager should make some form of statement (assuming he wishes to go), to the effect that he would prefer to go to Geelong, but would consider staying at Saints if a fair deal is not reached. Other players have done similar. Stephen Wells is apparently good to deal with, usually gets his man, and is not that concerned about squeezing every last drop from trade deals. Better than Essendon and some others anyway.
I'd have thought 34 plus Constable would be in the ball park... certainly not one or the other though

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 7:18pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 5:24pm Jack is contracted next year, the club has and is supporting him throughout his difficult times, and I can't see why we should bend over and accept unders if he wishes to go to Geelong.

I'd have thought 34 plus Constable would be in the ball park... certainly not one or the other though
Yes agree. 34 on its own is way under.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

52, Constable, a big $ savinh and move on. He has played his best football and gave all he had. He will cop a big pay cut and get what he wants. Great deal of it happens. I wish him well.

Rubyjo
Club Player

So constable is a mate of Battles...

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 8:22pm So constable is a mate of Battles...
And the Kings. And Clavarino.
Ex Haileybury boys.

Shaggy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 5:04pm That fact is if he says he 100% wants to go to Geelong then we’ve lost all our bargaining power.

This whole thing stinks a bit for me from a player who supposedly loves the club and the boys.
What if he wants to live closer to his ex and his child and family support?

Should we denigrate a 4 time best and fairest because he puts family first?

You and Curly are both a bit weird with some of your views.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Gonna be a bit hard to demand a quality pick for a player that barely played this year.

And given it’s in best interests to get to Geelong, the club’s hands are somewhat tied without acting like an absolute prick about it.

Loser club? Probably our opportunity to elevate our standing as a destination club with integrity that looks after our players. 4 best and fairests is great service.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:18am
The_Dud wrote: Thu 29 Aug 2019 5:04pm That fact is if he says he 100% wants to go to Geelong then we’ve lost all our bargaining power.

This whole thing stinks a bit for me from a player who supposedly loves the club and the boys.

Again, it’s an hour away, not the other side of the country. If that really is the case, do you think a millionaire and professional football club couldn’t find a solution?

Sounds to me like Jacks off field antics have caught up with him, which I personally don’t have too much sympathy for.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Shaggy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:47am

Again, it’s an hour away, not the other side of the country. If that really is the case, do you think a millionaire and professional football club couldn’t find a solution?

Sounds to me like Jacks off field antics have caught up with him, which I personally don’t have too much sympathy for.
It is not about sympathy. It is about working out your family. Money does not come into it

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda will do the right thing by Jack in entertaining a trade with Geelong, but the Cats need to come up with a decent trade back.
The idea of homesickness for a place a bit over an hour away starts to look pretty ridiculous. If this was Soccer he'd be lucky to be in the country of his choice, if it was NRL he'd be lucky to be in a State of his choice. Are we expected to break contract and be bent over so Jack doesn't have to drive a bit further. I know tradies everywhere who start and finish their day with an hour and a half drive...and they ain't on $600,000

Nee!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought he was better supported at the Saints where he is with his mates and people he knows.

Who are his mates at Geelong?

I don't think we have the full picture of what is really going on.

Also, after tonight, is this a track Geelong want to keep going down. It's clearly not working.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 7:58am I would have thought he was better supported at the Saints where he is with his mates and people he knows.

Who are his mates at Geelong?

I don't think we have the full picture of what is really going on.

Also, after tonight, is this a track Geelong want to keep going down. It's clearly not working.

You should let Steven know you know what’s best for him...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:47am

Not sure there is a need to pedal unsubstantiated rumours about Steven. How about some respect for our players.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:43am Gonna be a bit hard to demand a quality pick for a player that barely played this year.
I just don't get this

4 best and fairest, a consistently elite player for about 5 years and not coming from a major injury.

Easily has 4-5 years in him and could be the difference between a flag for them or not

Would walk into Geelong and be among their top 5

Why do ppl feel his value has diminished?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:46am
Spinner wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 12:43am Gonna be a bit hard to demand a quality pick for a player that barely played this year.
I just don't get this

4 best and fairest, a consistently elite player for about 5 years and not coming from a major injury.

Easily has 4-5 years in him and could be the difference between a flag for them or not

I think that one sentence you highlighted from my post answers your question.

I personally absolutely think he can become great again. But I can see how it will be difficult for Geelong to send over a valuable pick for a 29yo - which looks to be the way both clubs are leaning towards.

4-5 years is a stretch though. Not many players last that long after 30. Can he do it, probably but the trade for Geeing is for the next 2-3 years, anything else is a bonus.

barneyboyz
Club Player

I just don't get this

If he's got 5 good years, he could be the difference in us winning a flag or not. What is likely to happen though, is he goes and plays in a premiership against us :cry:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Jack's best years are behind him and if he gets fully fit, will be a cameo player who has a top game here and there. I don't think he is worth what some Sainters think right now. Whatever happens, I wish him well.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:58am
I just don't get this

I think that one sentence you highlighted from my post answers your question.

I personally absolutely think he can become great again. But I can see how it will be difficult for Geelong to send over a valuable pick for a 29yo - which looks to be the way both clubs are leaning towards.

4-5 years is a stretch though. Not many players last that long after 30. Can he do it, probably but the trade for Geeing is for the next 2-3 years, anything else is a bonus.
Maybe it 4-5 is a stretch but because he can be a forward pocket I feel like that adds longevity