David Rath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: David Rath

B.M wrote: Mon 23 Sep 2019 7:26pm When Pelchen joined StK SS posters were doing cartwheels about the Hawthorn architect coming to StK

When it was actually Gary Buckanara who recruited the team, Clarkson who coached the team and they had a good fitness guy... that’s not mentioning the A Grade talent they had..

But no, when we landed Pelchen, the 2018-2020 plan (blueprint) for a flag was eaten up by all, except those who saw through his bulls***!
Are you talking to anyone in particular? Or just doing the forum equivalent of incoherently ranting at passers by on the street corner?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 9:17pm
CarlD wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 2:33pm Derm said on Fox Footy a couple of weeks ago that he had finished his stint with the Saints.

With Roughead in I thought that would be the case.
It's a bit different. Gubby Allan bought Derm in specifically to work with the forward on leading patterns and body work. Exactly as he did with the young forwards at GWS back in the day. It was only ever a one season gig.

Rough's role is actually more in list management with a little bit of actual training on the side.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Speaking on nonsensical

Barry, you weren’t even around then, so you don’t really know do you?

The messiah complex has always been alive and well at Moorabbin, particularly with small minded supporters.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 10:45am
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 9:17pm
CarlD wrote: Sat 21 Sep 2019 2:33pm Derm said on Fox Footy a couple of weeks ago that he had finished his stint with the Saints.

With Roughead in I thought that would be the case.
It's a bit different. Gubby Allan bought Derm in specifically to work with the forward on leading patterns and body work.
Based on what the club has stated Roughead will be taking over as part of his role essentially, if not exactly, what Dermie was doing.

Remember too:

-That Roughead is fulltime with a mix of duties

- Dermie was purely part-time, and probably barely even that. Possibly only one session a week in the latter part of the season.

The club stated when we gained Roughead:

“As one of the game’s best key forwards over the past 15 years, we will also utilise his knowledge to support our coaching group, where he will work with our talented young key position players to develop their craft.”

So Roughead is doing what Dermie was doing, and then is also doing, as he is a full-time staffer (and these are probably his primary duties):

- list management and recruiting
- while also playing a key role in developing our young leaders

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 11:07am Speaking on nonsensical

The messiah complex has always been alive and well at Moorabbin, particularly with small minded supporters.
Are you talking to me?

You should quote me for two reasons:

Unless I actually re-read a thread, I have no idea that you're trying to engage with me. That's rude. It's like talking behind my back.

Secondly, your post makes no sense to me unless you use the quote function to give it context. Which post or sentence are you referencing?

Quoting takes 2 seconds, and makes life easier for everyone. Get one of your grandkids to show you how to do it. It's just forum etiquette.

The Barometer
Club Player

Sounds like a good get for us. Like the kicking skills and analytical references. Rath will have a very busy offseason with our players... no shortage of poor kucks to work with!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Barry,

Did you really ask if I was talking to you, even though I used your name in the post?

Maybe I was referring to Barry Hall... well maybe not, he’s not a part of this thread... so I guess I was referring to you... hence, using your name.

Seriously Barry, you need to do better if you want to be a smartarse.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote: Thu 19 Sep 2019 9:24pm So what’s Ratts going to do?
Take the blame, that what head coaches do unless they win the premiership.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
BarryGrogan
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 4:14pm Barry,

Did you really ask if I was talking to you, even though I used your name in the post?

Maybe I was referring to Barry Hall... well maybe not, he’s not a part of this thread... so I guess I was referring to you... hence, using your name.

Which post or comment were you referring to?

The Barometer
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 7:08pm

Which post or comment were you referring to?
Don’t think it really matters. You’ll never get a quote. The thread is about Rath which your input is appreciated. Bm should start there own thread on seeing it’s all that he/she wants to talk about.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Marto, I know you refuse to quote. I don’t know if it’s just to piss everyone off or you’re incapable.

You do offer a lot to this forum - please don’t self implode again

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rath seems like a good appointment. We need someone to oversee various football department roles in the way Neil Balme does it at Richmond. All areas of their club are in alignment and VFL and AFL sides play the same way with the same expectations. IMO we look a bit rudderless in our football department over several seasons, someone to take the reigns works for me, especially an experienced operator. We actually have a very inexperienced set up, Gallagher was working in banking and his recent football experience is with the SANFL, Lethlean was a media manager before he took over the Saints.

I remember the club came out and said they'd like to attract ex Saints to the club because they think the passion of the invested is worth more than the efforts of people turning up for a wage. It seems to work for some clubs, The Dogs were stacked with old boys, Richmond has a very strong ex player presence with Gale the obvious one. Adelaide have a lot and what was a strength seems to be considered a negative now. GT and Butterss really built the sides that nearly got us premiership under Lyon etc. Hopefully we can keep that as a focus.

To me Finnis has been great for anything non footy related but has let the footy department run completely unaccountable for years. I was worried about our recruiting under Elshaugh and can't imagine why no-one noticed the lower than average amount of elite talent coming through the doors compared to other sides. The good-guy recruiting policy may have been a directive that limited his ability to find quality though.

I'm not going to get too excited by Rath until he has some work to judge- I was a Pelchen disciple and got burned, now I'm very careful not to jump on to messiahs.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Rath and Balme are poles apart.

Totally different roles.

Rath is 100% hands on - Balme is 100% hands off.

Rath doesn't oversee things - he does things.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

gringo wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2019 9:11am I was a Pelchen disciple and got burned, now I'm very careful not to jump on to messiahs.
Every club has messiahs.

But they don't do it on their own.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 11:25am
B.M wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 11:07am Speaking on nonsensical

Are you talking to me?

You should quote me for two reasons:

Unless I actually re-read a thread, I have no idea that you're trying to engage with me. That's rude. It's like talking behind my back.

Secondly, your post makes no sense to me unless you use the quote function to give it context. Which post or sentence are you referencing?

Quoting takes 2 seconds, and makes life easier for everyone. Get one of your grandkids to show you how to do it. It's just forum etiquette.

+1

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 29 Sep 2019 11:27pm Rath and Balme are poles apart.

Totally different roles.

What ever he does sounds like he'll be busy.

In his new role, Rath will oversee St Kilda's assistant coaches, development coaches and football analysts. He will also be in charge of game plan, coach education and development, training, player skill acquisition, training analytics, game analysis and IT, leadership and player development.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 52t1k.html

BarryGrogan
Club Player

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:04am

Totally different roles.

In his new role, Rath will oversee St Kilda's assistant coaches, development coaches and football analysts. He will also be in charge of game plan, coach education and development, training, player skill acquisition, training analytics, game analysis and IT, leadership and player development.

I have no insight into what he does, but that quote just sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

He's been a hands on guy, in the sense that does teaching and develops strategies.

My take is that the article has interpreted that his teaching and strategy will extend to all the areas mentioned.

It's unfathomable that he'd actually be the boss of everything!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:51am
gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:04am

Totally different roles.

I have no insight into what he does, but that quote just sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

He's been a hands on guy, in the sense that does teaching and develops strategies.

My take is that the article has interpreted that his teaching and strategy will extend to all the areas mentioned.

It's unfathomable that he'd actually be the boss of everything!
Lol.