Gold coast draft package

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gold coast draft package

Don't worry - we'll end up getting Ben King.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:37pmPersonally I think the biggest factor in the priority pick was the Tom Lynch & Steven May decisions to depart.
I wonder if it isn't also, at least in part, because King and Lukosius - effectively their replacements - haven't signed. The league may be hoping to convince them to stay or at least get GC a head-start on rebuilding without them. Without the fear of raids, I think it would be an incredibly odd choice to give more draft picks to a team coming off seven top-10 picks over a three-year period. Especially with number one already locked in.

Personally, I think their list is fine now, they just need to keep their players and give them time. I'm not sure that giving this pile of picks isn't just going to lead a repetition of the same mistakes. There's already talk they're going to use some of the haul to bring in guys like Brad Crouch and Greenwood, which are moves that are going to impact the midfield time for guys like Ainsorth, Bowes and Brodie, amongst others. That may lead to more trade requests down the line. You've already got Callum Ah Chee asking for a trade at the same time they're bringing Brandon Ellis in.

My takeaway from the priority pick era was that it largely didn't work. Draft picks take too long to mature and are too unreliable to be used as a means of equalisation. Giving Gold Coast Anderson, as well as Rowell, will likely help their 2023 team a lot, but will that be too late to help them retain players? And will their older players grow impatient with another group of teenagers coming through the club? Despite raids, they'll likely still have at least 11 top-10 picks on their list next year. We'll have five, including McCartin. And they'll still be getting assistance for two years thereafter.

And, yeah, I'm horribly biased and incredibly bitter and rarely argue against my own self-interest. With that in mind, I don't agree with this decision.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
gringo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:56pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:37pmPersonally I think the biggest factor in the priority pick was the Tom Lynch & Steven May decisions to depart.
I wonder if it isn't also, at least in part, because King and Lukosius - effectively their replacements - haven't signed. The league may be hoping to convince them to stay or at least get GC a head-start on rebuilding without them. Without the fear of raids, I think it would be an incredibly odd choice to give more draft picks to a team coming off seven top-10 picks over a three-year period. Especially with number one already locked in.

Personally, I think their list is fine now, they just need to keep their players and give them time. I'm not sure that giving this pile of picks isn't just going to lead a repetition of the same mistakes. There's already talk they're going to use some of the haul to bring in guys like Brad Crouch and Greenwood, which are moves that are going to impact the midfield time for guys like Ainsorth, Bowes and Brodie, amongst others. That may lead to more trade requests down the line. You've already got Callum Ah Chee asking for a trade at the same time they're bringing Brandon Ellis in.

My takeaway from the priority pick era was that it largely didn't work. Draft picks take too long to mature and are too unreliable to be used as a means of equalisation. Giving Gold Coast Anderson, as well as Rowell, will likely help their 2023 team a lot, but will that be too late to help them retain players? And will their older players grow impatient with another group of teenagers coming through the club? Despite raids, they'll likely still have at least 11 top-10 picks on their list next year. We'll have five, including McCartin. And they'll still be getting assistance for two years thereafter.

And, yeah, I'm horribly biased and incredibly bitter and rarely argue against my own self-interest. With that in mind, I don't agree with this decision.
Hidden in the details is the 10 rookies they get to grab. They can grab Marlion Picketts from all over the country happy to have a second chance at a career. Might be their best hunting ground.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 12:05am
vacuous space wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:56pm

Hidden in the details is the 10 rookies they get to grab. They can grab Marlion Picketts from all over the country happy to have a second chance at a career. Might be their best hunting ground.
Everyone had the chance to grab Marlion Pickett & Sydney Stack but only the Tigers had the structure & balls to grab these super talents to see if they could harness their undoubted ability.

If you are looking for elite talent and don't have top ten picks you need to be creative and take a gamble.

The difference moving forward is they will be toed to GC.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 10:43pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:28pm Didn’t hear much whinging in here when we were the beneficiary of priority picks in 2001 that gifted us Kossi along with Roo and in the 2001 super draft that netted us Clarke.

Yes they were the rules at the time, rules that encouraged tanking.

If we were given a priority pick fir being crap for the last eight years would there be outcry?

Richmond didn’t build their list with priority picks
Yeah they did.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018 ... ority-pick
Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rance wasn’t there this year

It takes more than one player to build a team. Evyone attributes priority picks to StKs success in the 00’s

Reality is
We got Kosi and X.Clarke as a result
Both injury riddled, and ended up being nothing more than GOPs anyway.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 1:01pm It's a rigged comp but supporters have to just suck it up...

SUCK IT UP.

:twisted: :evil:
Supporters don’t have to at all they can also PISS
IT OFF!

PADDLEPOP1000
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

are the afl giving them an expanded salary cap in three to five years to allow them to keep their players? if not there will be a fair bit of movement again and they'll be in the same situation.
rather than all these picks perhaps the afl should just give them an extra 10% on the cap on top of the priorities this and next year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s a f***ing embarrassment

The AFL gave them the world in their set up

They got access to 17yo players

They got a ridiculous number of DPS in their first two years

They got the best player of this generation

And have only been a rabble.

So the AFL has to MAKE SURE their basket case succeeds, so they get unprecedented access to priority picks.

So fair to all the other clubs, isn’t it

Saintmania
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:00pm
Saintmania wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 7:29pm
Kilda wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 6:55pm It’s obscene giving them (again) priority picks and Darwin as their recruitment zone. It reeks of the AFL desperate to see them justify their expansionist dreams. Level playing field? Sigh.
This absolutely helps to have a level playing field. No other club gets raided more than the GC and if this is what is needed to get them going then so be it. If we start drafting well and still struggle then we can whinge.
I reckon that GWS has had more raided players but they're not a basket case.
Ok, sure. Give it time re: basketcase....then the AFL will help them back up too. As they have for us.
Last edited by Saintmania on Tue 01 Oct 2019 7:25pm, edited 2 times in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I can guarantee you that GC have had more access to top end talent in the draft than us

Don’t confuse lack of success with lack of access... they have a multitude of First rounders on their list.

They don’t get raided, their players opt to leave. It’s a basket case of a franchise.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:36am Picks 2 and 20 this draft
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

1 & 2 this year and 14 + 20
3 picks in top 20 next year

Crap
Will the AFL review this?

Concerned last year when started this thread

saint4life
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 8:36pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

No they won't. Why would they. They are getting bigger TV audiences in Qld than the NRL, Suns membership is rising, and the best junior footballers in the state are still heading south. They need a decade of sustained success in Qld, not just a few games. Right or wrong they are on a good thing.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 9:01pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

No they won't. Why would they. They are getting bigger TV audiences in Qld than the NRL, Suns membership is rising, and the best junior footballers in the state are still heading south. They need a decade of sustained success in Qld, not just a few games. Right or wrong they are on a good thing.
My main point is they should have only given priority for 2019 draft

then IF NEEDED look at 2020.

I know they wont but makes it very compromised draft this year.

Highlighted your comment....Makes the comp even more bullsh.t

It really is bullsh.t getting pick 11 and 1st pick round 2 2020 on top of their 1st round pick.

saint4life
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 9:04pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

It really is bullsh.t getting pick 11 and 1st pick round 2 2020 on top of their 1st round pick.
Hmmm. We've all forgotten the days of priority picks I reckon. Remember them?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Roo and Kosi were pretty handy

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 9:21pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

We did not get them 2 YEARS IN ADVANCE....

IT MUST/should be on a year by year basis ....then if you are still struggling (basically bottom again) you get assistance again.

Surely you must see why..

Imagine any club making the eight or nearlymaking eight and then basically getting 2 extra 1st round picks.....there would/should be an uproar

saint4life
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 9:40pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

IT MUST/should be on a year by year basis ....then if you are still struggling (basically bottom again) you get assistance again.

Imagine any club making the eight or nearlymaking eight and then basically getting 2 extra 1st round picks.....there would/should be an uproar
It is what it is and there's a few games to go yet. After the way they have had there bones picked by powerful Melbourne club's, I don't think it is outrageous just yet. Meanwhile, quite a few on here are salivating about B.King and demanding we chase him. If we'd won flags in 09, 10, we might have been picking their bones too.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

I'm fairly sure we planned ours 2 years in advance. We weren't that far off competing in a flag.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Jul 2020 10:15pm
Pick 11 2020 draft
Ist pick 2nd round 2020
Darwin zone

Crap

I'm fairly sure we planned ours 2 years in advance. We weren't that far off competing in a flag.
:roll: :roll:

saint4life