Gary Buckenara analyses St Kilda's list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gary Buckenara analyses St Kilda's list

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 1:19pm
fugazi wrote: Tue 08 Oct 2019 5:02pm He is right about us over rating the list.
DMac on a 3 year extension is one of the bizarre decisions in AFL history.
No A list or B+ list players
Would have thought a fit Hannaberry would be B+, as well as Billings. But then again, maybe it's better to be a hard marker.
Ratts would have to have something in mind re DMac?, it was an very interesting signing. I like him though and he clearly has a good work ethic
With respect Barney, having a good work ethic is not negotiable I reckon. It's a bit of a hangover from the past few years..... C grade players with a good work ethic aren't going to cut it when it comes to contending.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Tue 08 Oct 2019 6:41pm Gresh, hunter, Marshall, Steele, Ross, Membrey, Bruce.. All B graders
Every one of them has had at least 1 AA game so far, and I base that on having individually influenced games to a win. But, all have limitations, which if corrected would see them at A as minimum (permanent)

Consistency is our problem, but that will come

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 1:21pm
Would have thought a fit Hannaberry would be B+, as well as Billings. But then again, maybe it's better to be a hard marker.
Ratts would have to have something in mind re DMac?, it was an very interesting signing. I like him though and he clearly has a good work ethic
With respect Barney, having a good work ethic is not negotiable I reckon. It's a bit of a hangover from the past few years..... C grade players with a good work ethic aren't going to cut it when it comes to contending.
Yeah, I agree but they clearly believe he's got something worth the deal. Leadership???

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 1:27pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 1:21pm
Yeah, I agree but they clearly believe he's got something worth the deal. Leadership???
Maybe. I question giving him a 3 year deal though and would be happy to see him go. Same with Kent. Buckenara was right in saying that we have too many average players on our list. Maybe if we keep him, players like DMac will find a new lease of life under Ratten and the new footy dept.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

What would you rather, C grade players with a good work ethic like DMac or potential A/B+ graders with a lousy work ethic - e.g., Carlisle, Gresham, Acres?

barneyboyz
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 2:37pm What would you rather, C grade players with a good work ethic like DMac or potential A/B+ graders with a lousy work ethic - e.g., Carlisle, Gresham, Acres?
I'm not sure of the correct answer here. I want work ethic for culture, which should switch thhe lazy buggers on. I think Acres just needs some love and the right management

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So if we have to be prepared to accept 56 for Steven does that mean we must be prepared to take 56 for Billings (if we were trading him)?

I mean they are rated the same apparently

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!