We Could Emerge The Winner In Trade 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: We Could Emerge The Winner In Trade 2019

What’s the difference this year? What changed the cycle?

Gubby?

Hannebery? (Obviously not from a playing perspective but from a name / experience) appears this was an investment to entice others to come later?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Guess we should save our celebrations until the trades are done.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:21am What’s the difference this year? What changed the cycle?

Gubby?

Hannebery? (Obviously not from a playing perspective but from a name / experience) appears this was an investment to entice others to come later?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Oh look......Richo is removed, we install footy dept management who were involved in Hawthorn’s four recent flags and all of a sudden players want to come to us. Must be a co-incidence coz apparently coaching and recruiting are entirely unrelated.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:26am
Spinner wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:21am What’s the difference this year? What changed the cycle?

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Oh look......Richo is removed, we install footy dept management who were involved in Hawthorn’s four recent flags and all of a sudden players want to come to us. Must be a co-incidence coz apparently coaching and recruiting are entirely unrelated.

So no Richo followed closely by Ratten?

I didn’t realise Richo was such a turn off for players? Or more the excitement of a new regime?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 5:59am

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

I didn’t realise Richo was such a turn off for players? Or more the excitement of a new regime?
No, apparently everyone loved playing under him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 6:51am

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

No, apparently everyone loved playing under him.
No one really left under his watch... :?

I’m going to go with Gubby being a major influence.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Richo landed on his feet, immediately.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 7:26am

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Yep, not as a head coach though. Lovely fella.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 7:26am

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

Good point.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 6:54pm Where did you see that Howard has nominated us? I haven’t seen that and have been following pretty closely.
From herald sun.com.

"1h agoOctober 10, 2019
Port's Dougal wants to be a Saint
Chris Vernuccio

Dougal Howard wants to become a Saint if St Kilda and Port Adelaide can do a deal, after weeks weighing up his future at Alberton.

Howard had been assessing his options in the wake of his exit interview at Alberton, when Power list manager Jaime Cripps gave his manager Dave Trotter gentle encouragement to look at what interest might be out there from other AFL clubs.

The 23-year-old swingman met with St Kilda, North Melbourne and Essendon during grand final week in Melbourne and on the first day of the trade period the Saints and Roos officially put their interest in him out in the public.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 09 Oct 2019 6:54pm Where did you see that Howard has nominated us? I haven’t seen that and have been following pretty closely.
From herald sun.com.

"1h agoOctober 10, 2019
Port's Dougal wants to be a Saint
Chris Vernuccio

Dougal Howard wants to become a Saint if St Kilda and Port Adelaide can do a deal, after weeks weighing up his future at Alberton.

Howard had been assessing his options in the wake of his exit interview at Alberton, when Power list manager Jaime Cripps gave his manager Dave Trotter gentle encouragement to look at what interest might be out there from other AFL clubs.

The 23-year-old swingman met with St Kilda, North Melbourne and Essendon during grand final week in Melbourne and on the first day of the trade period the Saints and Roos officially put their interest in him out in the public.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Money

If I was a B/C grade player, getting offered overs

I would choose StK too

You do realise players have chose StK over the past 5 years as well?

Hannebury, Kent, Steele, Carlisle, Austin, Roberton, Membrey, Brown, Longer.

Plus
Numerous resignings in the last few years

We did miss out on some big fish, but we are a minnow club and that will happen.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Gubby?

My fear is it's this one - If Hannebery demonstrated anything this season it's that you don't have to do much to earn a shitload at the saints.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:40am

Gubby?

My fear is it's this one - If Hannebery demonstrated anything this season it's that you don't have to do much to earn a shitload at the saints.
He demonstrated to me that he is the bedt recruit weve3 had since Gehrig.

He was instantly our best player, after spending almost annentire year on the sidelines.

His running both ways was outrageous. He found the ball. He directed his team. He used it well.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 11:48am
freely wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:40am

Gubby?

He demonstrated to me that he is the bedt recruit weve3 had since Gehrig.

He was instantly our best player, after spending almost annentire year on the sidelines.

His running both ways was outrageous. He found the ball. He directed his team. He used it well.
I’m sorry what?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Been reading this site a long time and decided to join in on the discussion and excitement because it's clear we are the winner of the trade period in 2019. I'd like to see another midfielder or two added, they don't have to be elite or A grade but I think we just need a bit more depth in that department.

derby Street
Club Player

We could also end up with not much

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

While I'm excited with prospect of these players coming to us, I'm bot going to get carried away until the deals are actually done.
We have a sad habit of screwing these things up.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

While I'm excited with prospect of these players coming to us, I'm bot going to get carried away until the deals are actually done.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:29pm While I'm excited with prospect of these players coming to us, I'm bot going to get carried away until the deals are actually done.
Bullsh1t. We do NOT have a sad habit of screwing these things up. What are you referring too.

I'm glad we played Bell's bluff. We would've been laughed out of the AFL if we'd have traded 6, + our 2020 first rounder and something else for Hill. Sometimes, the price isn't right and Bell's request is miles overs.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If we do not actually land Hill this trade period will not end up being what we hoped.

Of all the players who want to come to us he is the one we most need and who will make the most difference to us.

We should certainly not pay vast offers for him but without him acquisitions are more the support cast than the feature act.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

They are not scapegoats, they are just not that good. How many top 5 B&F finishes between them?

Carlisle is talented, but has an average attitude and doesn’t get out of third gear.

Acres also lacks urgency and is a tease at best

Dunstan is the very definition of a GOP

That’s just how it is

damienc
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 5:57pm If we do not actually land Hill this trade period will not end up being what we hoped.

Of all the players who want to come to us he is the one we most need and who will make the most difference to us.

We should certainly not pay vast offers for him but without him acquisitions are more the support cast than the feature act.
We will get him.

He's requested to come.

Fremantle know they are dealing exclusively with St Kilda.

They also know they have to make a deal.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:06pm
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 5:57pm If we do not actually land Hill this trade period will not end up being what we hoped.

We will get him.

He's requested to come.

Any chance, god forbid, the Cheese Boarders could trump us? Only Vic club with a higher pick I can think of that could use his services. Carlton are too busy elsewhere.

damienc
Club Player

degruch wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:09pm
damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:06pm

We will get him.

He's requested to come.

Any chance, god forbid, the Cheese Boarders could trump us? Only Vic club with a higher pick I can think of that could use his services. Carlton are too busy elsewhere.
I think the answer is a definite NO.

When a player says he wants to go to a particular club then the club he's leaving must deal exclusively with his destination club.

If Hill suddenly said he wanted to go somewhere else then that is a different story.

But we've offered him a big, fat, long contract so why would he?

He's not going to get anywhere near that kind of dough or that length of contract from another club.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Gubby?

Lethlean?

Ratten?

No Richo?

I wasn't sure if you were taking the piss...if so well played.
If not....?? If you were an AFL player of note would you be excited about a trade or selection to play under a coach 5 1/2 yrs into a 34% win record? You know you are going to lose.....a lot.....and not play finals........coaches MAKE teams win or lose....sport history proves this over and over when great coaches get the best out of average players and become champions.

Is Ratten great? NO. BUt I reckon he's a motivator and Richo was proved what he was.