Acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Acres

shrodes wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 9:32am
suss wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 8:32am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 056ab57260

The most interesting bit:

“St Kilda will send Pick 10, a future second round selection and Pick 58 to the Dockers. This deal had already been sorted out via an in-principle agreement by the time Acres verbally agreed to sign a three-year deal at Freo late on Tuesday.

It means the 75-gamer is essentially an add-on to an agreement that would have been pushed through regardless. Sources suggested the Saints felt as if he would be relegated to the VFL with Hill and Zak Jones set to land at Moorabbin.”

I just do not understand this at all. Why throw Acres in for free when the deal is already done. :?
Do we have 58? According to the indicative draft order no
In principle, apparently. Smith to GCS, 58 to Saints, Steven to Geelong. 10, Acres and 58 and future 2nd to Freo, Hill to Saints but I'm not sure this is correct.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

suss wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 8:32am https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st-kil ... 056ab57260

The most interesting bit:

“St Kilda will send Pick 10, a future second round selection and Pick 58 to the Dockers. This deal had already been sorted out via an in-principle agreement by the time Acres verbally agreed to sign a three-year deal at Freo late on Tuesday.

It means the 75-gamer is essentially an add-on to an agreement that would have been pushed through regardless. Sources suggested the Saints felt as if he would be relegated to the VFL with Hill and Zak Jones set to land at Moorabbin.”

I just do not understand this at all. Why throw Acres in for free when the deal is already done. :?
let me start by saying I was an Acres fan up until late yesterday however the more I think about this the more I can see where the club is coming from, if you assume that Acres is really only capable of being a midfielder then bringing hill and jones in clearly pushes him out of the best 22 because there is really nowhere else on the ground from him to play as all key positions in the forward and back departments are fully stocked.

And I'll finish by saying that in hindsight it would appear I was only a fan of Acres because he'd teased of what he could become for so long and I was desperate and hopeful more than I was realistic and objective about his potential. I'm so glad the club has helped me see this situation clearly.

All the best in the future Blake.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Been a big Acres fan over the journey. Fell for the potential I guess.

But it still is not being realised and at the end of the day, the coach said it best after the last game.

If players cannot execute, then they need to be moved on. Acres, plainly falls into that category.

Unfortunately the chances are that he will get the kick up the arse that probably has not come over the Richardson era and he will lift accordingly. Otherwise he will play out the rest of his career in the WAFL.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

10 + Acres would have been enough. More than enough. Objectively, Hill is worth about Pick 10-12.

We have been absolutely ripped apart by Fremantle on this trade. Fair play to Bell, he's cleaned us out.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:45am 10 + Acres would have been enough. More than enough. Objectively, Hill is worth about Pick 10-12.

We have been absolutely ripped apart by Fremantle on this trade. Fair play to Bell, he's cleaned us out.

I’m not thrilled about the trade but how is his trade value worth pick 10-12 objectively?

What makes this assessment objective?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:49am I’m not thrilled about the trade but how is his trade value worth pick 10-12 objectively?
By that logic nothing can ever be objective except scientifically-agreed, measurable units - ideally co-signed by peer-review (which they themselves are subject to bias).
In any event, these facts might help.

- Turning 27; now in the final third of career.
- Isn't a prolific ball-winner.
- Never made AA.
- 4 Brownlow votes in 2019.
- Wants to leave Fremantle.

Trades themselves are a matter of opinion - and using the objective facts (of which the above would form part of that analysis) - it would be difficult to mount a case that Hill is worth more than that.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 12:54pm
Spinner wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:49am
evertonfc wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:45am 10 + Acres would have been enough. More than enough. Objectively, Hill is worth about Pick 10-12.

I’m not thrilled about the trade but how is his trade value worth pick 10-12 objectively?

Turning 27.
Has probably played his best footy/1-2 years of elite football left.
Isn't a prolific ball-winner.
Is taking up an obscene amount of cap space.
Never made AA.
4 Brownlow votes in 2019.
My, how quickly players age when you fall out of love with them. Acres turned 24 just 9 days ago.

And, I ask, what is his "obscene" salary? How much?

Saint supporter since '62
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 12:59pm My, how quickly players age when you fall out of love with them. Acres turned 24 just 9 days ago.
Midfielders - unless they are absolutely outstanding and can rely on qualities beyond pace - tend to dry up about 29-30 these days.

We'd have to bank on Hill moving into a sweeper-type role in his early 30s, IMO.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll be the Shaun Burgoyne-type this board is expecting.

Make no mistake, I hope everyone is right, and paying massive overs for him is a worthy price.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

From The Age
Acres offered a three-year deal by Freo
By Daniel Cherny
Blake Acres is poised to become a Fremantle player today in the deal which sends Bradley Hill from the Dockers to St Kilda.

Acres has been offered a three-year deal by Freo having been offered up by the Saints. Acres had been aware for several weeks that this was a possibility but the situation only escalated in the last 48 hours. The Dockers’ interest in the West Australian Saint had been lukewarm until this week.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
barneyboyz
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 10:49am I’m not thrilled about the trade but how is his trade value worth pick 10-12 objectively?
By that logic nothing can ever be objective except scientifically-agreed, measurable units - ideally co-signed by peer-review (which they themselves are subject to bias).

- Never made AA.

Trades themselves are a matter of opinion - and using the objective facts (of which the above would form part of that analysis) - it would be difficult to mount a case that Hill is worth more than that.
To be fair, Cyril Rioli would have struggled with being in a Ross Lyon team

We don't need a prolific ball winner so much as someone who gets it out of the hands of Ross, Dunstan or Steele so they don't kick it :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:03pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 12:59pm My, how quickly players age when you fall out of love with them. Acres turned 24 just 9 days ago.
Midfielders - unless they are absolutely outstanding and can rely on qualities beyond pace - tend to dry up about 29-30 these days.

We'd have to bank on Hill moving into a sweeper-type role in his early 30s, IMO.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll be the Shaun Burgoyne-type this board is expecting.

Make no mistake, I hope everyone is right, and paying massive overs for him is a worthy price.
You still haven't answered. One, you say Acres will be 27 when he just turned 24 last week. Two, you make unsubstantiated claims about his contract. Awaiting your response to my original question; I am talking about Blake Acres not Bradley Hill.

Saint supporter since '62
damienc
Club Player

- Never made AA.

You can't be serious.

Brad Hill averages 17.8 kicks a game which is considered elite.

He averages 25.1 disposals per game which is above average.

He averages 4.3 inside 50s per game which is above average.

His effective disposal rate is 16.7 again above average.

His rebound 50s average is 2.7 considered elite.

He also averages one run, bounce and carry the ball per game which is considered elite.

Third in Freo's B & F last year. Didn't make AA but widely considered unlucky to miss out given the season he had.

I'd take him any day of the week. His signing is a great get.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Word is the deal is ready to go
Saints confirm Bradley Hill deal is done and will go through once AFL opens for paperwork. Acres will go to Freo on a 3yr deal.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Acres should learn alot from Fyfe.. This is a great move for him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 16 Oct 2019 1:29pm

You still haven't answered. One, you say Acres will be 27 when he just turned 24 last week. Two, you make unsubstantiated claims about his contract. Awaiting your response to my original question; I am talking about Blake Acres not Bradley Hill.
He is talking about Hill. The absurdity of Acres contract is that he was getting $500k, a little less than Hill was at the purple patch.

8bloggs
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 1:19pm

He is talking about Hill. The absurdity of Acres contract is that he was getting $500k, a little less than Hill was at the purple patch.
Was Acres on $500k with us? That seems to be way over. Not unhappy that he was traded out, thought he just didn't have what it takes between the ears to make it, particularly given his size.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 10:27pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 17 Oct 2019 1:19pm

Was Acres on $500k with us? That seems to be way over. Not unhappy that he was traded out, thought he just didn't have what it takes between the ears to make it, particularly given his size.
His contract was a predictive wager, intended to stave off West Coast and Freo. He loomed as though he would be worth that on his 2016 and 17 highlights. 2018 was injury plagued and 2019 he got found out. He runs onto the ball and uses space and strength in one on ones to cut loose but he could not position himself at stoppages and ran out of puff finding space. He is strong, dynamic really, but not a quick thinker and an average 2 way runner. He has a lot of work ahead of him still.

kalsaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:29pm
Ape_Man wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 7:59pm I really want to see Acres for one more year under a new coach.

Also not fussed if we don’t get Hill. His highlight package is great, but the don’t think his 4 quarter efforts are worth selling the farm.
Agree with you. If Acres stays this could be the kick in the a*** he needs to realise his undoubted potential.

If he goes I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. Us being St Kilda, I fear it may.
I mentioned several months ago there was a source here in Perth that said Acres would be coming back to WA. The enticement was to play with his younger brother. He would have raised this with the club a long time ago seeing he was in the 2nd last year of his contract.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

our most overrated player since god knows who. and remains overrated to this day. five years in the system and how many bog performances? fringe in a cellar dweller. if we're hoping to rise it's goodbye to those fellas. fans of survivor identified him early and called him goat. his fans misunderstood the meaning entirely.
others made excuses. if only they played him in one position. well they couldn't find anywhere he was any good at.
amazingly freo eventually relented and took him. maybe they''ll get hold of some magic pills that improve lethargic bodies and minds? or maybe he'll enjoy himself in the wafl?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Vazelos
Club Player

I have been an Acres fan hopeful he would become the player we wanted... he is like a V 8 working on 6 cylinders...
I think he was never given a settled spot and this contributed to his inconsistency.
Bumped into the great Robert Harvey yesterday he rates Acres and he agreed with this and mentioned Collingwood have done the sane to several of their players.
It’s done now I hope he doesn’t become a super player that would burn me up.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Definitely heard that the $500k was for next year of a heavily weighted back ended contract.

They should definitely put things like this into perspective - an average of the contract would be nice. In effect we have probably underpaid him for his time at the Saints if it was back ended.