Delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delisted

Spinner wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:44pm
Bernard Shakey wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 11:16am
saint-stu wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 7:41am
bigcarl wrote:
StPeter wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:41am I am disappointed White was never given a proper chance.

He showed enough have played more games especially with the injuries to our half-backs this year.
He won Zebras b&f so must have done a few things right. I wonder what the knock on him was.
It just seemed there was always someone in front of him so he never got the opportunity. He looked like a decent player to me.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed. My observation from watching and hearing instructions being given at Sandy, was that he had trouble understanding what he was being asked to do.
Didn’t he win the VFL best and fairest?
Sandringham's best and fairest.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wonder why we persisted with White and Young for so long. Only conclusion is that no better options were available. They cannot have imagined that they would suddenly turn into Leigh Mathews.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:51pm
Spinner wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:44pm
bigcarl wrote:
StPeter wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 12:41am I am disappointed White was never given a proper chance.

He showed enough have played more games especially with the injuries to our half-backs this year.
He won Zebras b&f so must have done a few things right. I wonder what the knock on him was.
It just seemed there was always someone in front of him so he never got the opportunity. He looked like a decent player to me.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed. My observation from watching and hearing instructions being given at Sandy, was that he had trouble understanding what he was being asked to do.
Didn’t he win the VFL best and fairest?
Sandringham's best and fairest.

Yeah that’s what I meant, not the league’s b&f.

So he can’t follow instructions in the VFL yet they voted him the best this year?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

As a Sandringham watcher Bernard, how did you rate him as a player? Any chance we would rookie list him?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 20 Oct 2019 10:00am
As a Sandringham watcher Bernard, how did you rate him as a player? Any chance we would rookie list him?
He was probably the best kick on our list, can take a mark and has good pace. not very good on the defensive side of his game.
I understand how he won Sandy's B&F. Gets plenty of the ball, uses it well and played a lot of games. Big difference between VFL and AFL.
Past winners Tom Curren, Cam Shenton and Clint Jones didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 20 Oct 2019 10:16am
He was probably the best kick on our list, can take a mark and has good pace. not very good on the defensive side of his game.
I understand how he won Sandy's B&F. Gets plenty of the ball, uses it well and played a lot of games. Big difference between VFL and AFL.
Past winners Tom Curren, Cam Shenton and Clint Jones didn't exactly set the world on fire.
We could use someone who uses the ball well. Anyway, no doubt the club has its reasons.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-18/ ... -by-saints

"
AFL

Father-son defender, contracted forward cut by Saints
Dinny Navaratnam

ST KILDA has delisted defensive duo Brandon White and Bailey Rice, along with pressure forward Robbie Young.

After being picked up at selection No.67 in the NAB AFL Draft in 2018, Young received the standard two-year contract.

However, with the Saints being flush with small forwards after recruiting Dan Butler from Richmond to go alongside Dean Kent, Jack Lonie, Jade Gresham and Matthew Parker, the club saw Young as being surplus to requirements.

Young will be paid out for the 2020 portion of his contract and is recovering from a right shoulder reconstruction.

Rice is the son of former Saint Dean. He lined up in 11 games throughout his career, the same number as his close mate White.

"Bailey and Brandon arrived at the club together in 2015 and should be proud of the way they have acquitted themselves," football manager Simon Lethlean told saints.com.au.

”They are held in high regard by their teammates and coaches, and we wish them all the best for the future.

"Robbie was one of a number of mature age recruits we selected in last year's draft, and it was great to see him earn his AFL debut.

"With a number of small forwards on our list, unfortunately the opportunity at the Saints for Robbie has come to an end.

"As with the other boys, we thank him for his commitment to St Kilda and wish him and his family good luck for the next chapter."

Young ended up with three career matches.

The Saints have wingman Jack Newnes and key defender Nathan Brown out of contract.

Newnes has been the subject of interest from Carlton while Brown's future is in some doubt after St Kilda landed big man Dougal Howard from Port Adelaide, although the club believes Brown’s positive influence on the younger players means he could be a valuable contributor if kept on in 2020.

David Armitage, Lewis Pierce, Billy Longer and Sam Rowe have already been cut from the list."

degruch
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 19 Oct 2019 3:55pm I wonder why we persisted with White and Young for so long. Only conclusion is that no better options were available. They cannot have imagined that they would suddenly turn into Leigh Mathews.
I don't think we persisted with Young at all...was it 3 games in the end? Then cut before his contract is out! Something's a bit odd there, I'm not sure who's instigated that exit but assume paying out his contract means it was the club?

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Thought young was a bit of an individual, it was all about. Quite always warmed up slightly away from the main Group and didn’t interact with others. Had a kamikaze approach, just hit the player hard and then nothing else. Was quick but had to get the ball first. Just my obs fwiiw.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I’m concerned about barks - he loves White. I’m thinking he must be having a Chernobyl-style meltdown at the moment

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.