Jack Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Re: Jack Newnes

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 4:11pm Jarryn Geary has been outstanding as a small defender for years, maybe ask some small forwards about how effective he is?!
Between 2014 and 2017 (4 seasons), Betts kicked 50+ goals each year, averaging nearly 3 goals per game. He was clearly the best small forward in the AFL.

We played the Crows 5 times in that period.

In the 2 games that Geary missed due to injury, Betts kicked 11 goals (avg 5.5 goals per game).
In the 3 games that Geary played on him, Betts kicked 3 goals (avg 1 goal per game).

Geary's prowess as one of the elite small defenders in the AFL is unquestionable. He plays that position as an automatic start in 2020.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Jack'll be keen to do well. He's always seemed capable to me. Will watch with interest!

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Oct 2019 5:10pm 2018 aside... which was a shocking year after key retirements and with injury (even 2019 was injury ravaged!)

The side hasn’t been that lowly. Haven’t played finals, but won 11, 11 & 9 in three of the past 4 seasons I think. So far from a hopeless team when Ross and Geary were high in the B&Fs

Seb Ross has had to carry a midfield (with Jack) for years, with little support. Given the amount of wins, to poll 40+ Brownlow votes in 4 seasons suggests not only is he decent at StK but is decent in games of footy, even considering the opposition.

Dunstan is limited, because he’s slow has no tank and is a poor kick.

Seb recorded
The third highest top speed of any player this season.
The furtherest distance covered in a game

To go with his stats which are very good.

Geary
Courage, toughness, endurance, experience and defensive capability
Ffs! Where do you get off being so smug and pious in your defence of the likes of Geary and Ross?

They are footballers that most Saints fans like and appreciate, but they have MAJOR deficiencies in their games, if you can’t see them then you need to look a bit harder..

Both give it their all, but both are prone to sloppy skill errors that cost us - often severely.

Geary locks down well on some small forwards, no doubt but at the same time he’s the guy the opposition like to see with ball in his hand because almost as often as not, he disposes of it to their advantage.

Similarly Seb gets it and moves with it, but then will let himself and the side down, with poor, sometimes unfathomable use of the ball.

These traits can be corrected but until they are, they remain the reason why both players are not seen by many as natural leaders.

Great captains are rarely just dour defenders or guys who can get the ball, they are guys who elevate the team with character, X factor and with acts that inspire - think Spud, think Lenny, think Roo.

We need to find these guys ASAP.

IMO, and from what I’m reading, others tend to agree, Gears’ spot in the team is under threat by guys coming up and vying for the same spot - Coff, Paton, etc, guys who May be able to do some of what he currently does, but are far more reliable, and inspirational with ball in hand.

Seb may yet elevate to this level, he has age on his side, and we’ve all seen players rise from good to great, but right now he’s not quite there.

Unfortunately these guys are currently the best we have, and this is a big part of the reason why we languish at the lower rungs of the ladder.

However, many of us are excited by the feeling that there are younger, more natural leaders, with better skill sets, on their way up - Hunter, Coff, Marshall, Dougal etc - and it’s when one or two of these rise that we’ll rise accordingly...

Look again it's the Flash!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

OKAY, looks like the field has narrows to one of either gears or seb as SS's new whipping boy now that Newnes has departed for less critical fields.

f*** me dead.will it never end.? The denigration of proven saints footballers, that is.

Gives me the absolute irrits. :roll:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The Flash didn't denigrate anyone. Just putting forward his opinion and if you disagree then that's fine

It's difficult to make structural wholesale changes to a team without upsetting a few of the fans. I think we all acknowledge that change is required if the Saints want to be serious contenders. Gears and Ross have earnt the right to be starting 22, but perhaps 2020 is a year for transition
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

A small success.
We have clogged a place on the Scum's list.
They now have another of those players that you definitely need to make up the numbers to 22, when you don't intend to be a contender.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mate I’m just stating the facts

Geary and Ross are two of the best performed players consistently over the past seasons

I think you are being a bit disrespectful to their actual performances over the years

Plenty of others worse than those two.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Btw

How well do you know Jarryn Geary?

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 4:37pm Btw

How well do you know Jarryn Geary?
Lol! How well do I know Jaryn Geary?

The answer to that is, I don’t know him at all, nor him me.

However, I’ve watched just about every game of senior AFL football he’s played, about 95% of those LIVE from the stands.

...your point is?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

AFL story says 'Blues bag delisted Saint'
and I thought it was their fan page bagging him lol

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 9:48pm AFL story says 'Blues bag delisted Saint'
Haha, I thought the exact same thing!

I even looked at BF to see their reaction to his signing - to a man they’re greeting him with enthusiasm.

Fair enough I guess, I don’t have the heart to tell them they’ve just recruited the most underwhelming, beige footballer I’ve ever had the displeasure of following for what was it? ...150+ games??

I’m sure he’s a decent bloke, and I guess he can kinda catch it and kick it and run around pointing and whatnot, but I can’t think of a footballer I’ve ever been so glad to farewell than Jack Newnes.

With his departure it feels as though the team has at least someway been cleansed of the cloying, sickly-sweet, vanilla funk of Cho, and it’s time for the gritty, sweaty stench of Rat to permeate every inch of our being - I, for one, say BRING IT ON!!!

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 3:52pm OKAY, looks like the field has narrows to one of either gears or seb as SS's new whipping boy now that Newnes has departed for less critical fields.

f*** me dead.will it never end.? The denigration of proven saints footballers, that is.

Gives me the absolute irrits.
Get a grip Sanitiser, no one is denigrating them, I’m just stating facts.

YES they have been among our better performers, but in case you hadn’t noticed, we’ve been one of the worst teams in the comp - you don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to see the link I wouldn’t have thought??

Stop overrating our players just because they wear a Saints jumper, they’re serviceable players who try their guts out, and we all appreciate them for it, BUT they’d struggle to make the starting 22 of of at least 6 of the top 8 clubs, there’s no use sugarcoating it.

Until our higher rung of players, at least match that of other clubs, we’ll continue to be an also-ran, it might be unpleasant for you to accept, but it’s a fact Jack!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross and Geary would get a game at most, if not all AFL clubs. FFS one has 40 odd Brownlow votes in the last 4 years, and one is a gun lockdown defender and club captain.

You are carrying on like we were the Carlton or the GC over the past 4 years

Won 11 in 2016 and 2017

Shocking 2018 as we didn’t cover Riewoldt, Dempster and Montagna and key injuries

Considering injuries winning 9 in 2019 was a good effort

Never have we had a Finals list since 2013... and NOT because of Ross and Geary.

BTW
I think Newnes will have a good year at the blues (if he trims down) and they will probably play finals

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 9:26am :roll: :roll:
saynta wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 3:52pm OKAY, looks like the field has narrows to one of either gears or seb as SS's new whipping boy now that Newnes has departed for less critical fields.

Gives me the absolute irrits.
Get a grip Sanitiser, no one is denigrating them, I’m just stating facts.

YES they have been among our better performers, but in case you hadn’t noticed, we’ve been one of the worst teams in the comp - you don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to see the link I wouldn’t have thought??

Stop overrating our players just because they wear a Saints jumper, they’re serviceable players who try their guts out, and we all appreciate them for it, BUT they’d struggle to make the starting 22 of of at least 6 of the top 8 clubs, there’s no use sugarcoating it.

Until our higher rung of players, at least match that of other clubs, we’ll continue to be an also-ran, it might be unpleasant for you to accept, but it’s a fact Jack!
What a heap of that steaming smelly stuff. Ross would get a game in 17 other sides FFS. Gears maybe 10 or 12.

I think after watching the game for 70 years, I at least know a footballer when I see one, Jack Flash. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 5:10am
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 01 Nov 2019 9:48pm AFL story says 'Blues bag delisted Saint'
Haha, I thought the exact same thing!

I even looked at BF to see their reaction to his signing - to a man they’re greeting him with enthusiasm.

Fair enough I guess, I don’t have the heart to tell them they’ve just recruited the most underwhelming, beige footballer I’ve ever had the displeasure of following for what was it? ...150+ games??

I’m sure he’s a decent bloke, and I guess he can kinda catch it and kick it and run around pointing and whatnot, but I can’t think of a footballer I’ve ever been so glad to farewell than Jack Newnes.

With his departure it feels as though the team has at least someway been cleansed of the cloying, sickly-sweet, vanilla funk of Cho, and it’s time for the gritty, sweaty stench of Rat to permeate every inch of our being - I, for one, say BRING IT ON!!!
f*** me. And you say you don't denigrate saints players. Just former ones eh?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did Jack get a game under Ratten last year?

He has been average since 2018 but has found himself in the worse position to play on the ground.

2014-2017 Newnes was very good.

He lost running power after that, was never as good. Will he get it back at Carlton? Maybe??

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Jack will be good for Carlton, his experience and courage is exactly what their young list needs, I really hope he can take his game to the next level, why wouldn't we wish ex St Kilda players all the very best and hope they succeed. Some petty and disrespectful comments in this thread about a guy that put his body on the line for the club during a very challenging period of our growth.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Jack he has simply been squeezed out of the team and moreso in 2020.

WING:

Hill and Jones in, make it extremely unlikely that he could get to play wing again. They are just both better and quicker.

HB:

And with Clark and Coffield both now looking good at the senior level, the competition for for a HB spot in 2020 is huge. If Robbo plays it will be even moreso in 2020.

DEFENSIVE FORWARD:

Defensive forward is where he went ok late in the year in 2020 under Ratten (Particularly against the Doggies) is not a position that we always play and with Butler and Parker there is plenty of opposition for that role if required too.

He may have made a decent BP, but Geary will have that as a lock in 2020.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not agile enough to play BP is Newnes, and he has played as a defensive HF since early 2018.

That’s why his numbers are so different from his early years at HB or n the Wing.

Agree, he would be squeezed out this year by better players

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Did Carlton Troll us? What is the difference for them in taking him as a free agent vs delisted? Obviously we get no compo so that’s why I’m asking. Would this have been deliberate or would they argue they had to assess list room post trade period prior to committing? I feel as tho we might have got 3rd rounder or so depending on salary?

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 8:24am Did Carlton Troll us? What is the difference for them in taking him as a free agent vs delisted? Obviously we get no compo so that’s why I’m asking. Would this have been deliberate or would they argue they had to assess list room post trade period prior to committing? I feel as tho we might have got 3rd rounder or so depending on salary?
Probably.

OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

Lack of interest from other clubs, plus Carlton's level of confidence in discussions with Jack meant that they could take this approach.

It also suggests that they wouldn't have been heart broken if the Hawks swooped in at the last second to throw a lifeline.

Clubs have done this to each other before & is just good business. Saints management would be happy he found a home.

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Nov 2019 2:04pm Not agile enough to play BP is Newnes, and he has played as a defensive HF since early 2018.

That’s why his numbers are so different from his early years at HB or n the Wing.

Agree, he would be squeezed out this year by better players
I would have like to see him trialled more as an attacking HF, he was a good mark especially overhead and in contested situations.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that we give a pick & 3 year contract to a fringe player from a dud club like Melbourne and let Newnes go for nothing.

Is Newnes the answer to our climb up the ladder?
Probably not, but he’s a better more flexible and respected (IMO) player and club man than Kent & probably Butler.

Was better value last year than Hannebery as well.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Special
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 12:35pm Interesting that we give a pick & 3 year contract to a fringe player from a dud club like Melbourne and let Newnes go for nothing.

Is Newnes the answer to our climb up the ladder?
Probably not, but he’s a better more flexible and respected (IMO) player and club man than Kent & probably Butler.

Was better value last year than Hannebery as well.
Don’t care re Butler and Kent. (Kent is mediocre at best). Both at least are forwards and goal kickers.

Newnes is an absolute spud and I’m delighted we got rid of him. Don’t know why we offered him 2 years - looks like we should’ve shopped him around during trade week and if we were smarter a third round pick would’ve come our way. But maybe we had too much on our plate and Jill was just icing if we got something in return.