Jackie-Boy Peris

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jackie-Boy Peris

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... 669a614e9b

"He arguably has the best sprinting genes in Australia and Melbourne schoolboy Jack Peris is destined to follow in the footsteps of his Olympic gold-winning mum Nova — but it’s footy where Jack wants to make his mark.
Mandy Squires, Sunday Herald Sun

He has arguably the best sprinting genes Australia has ever seen but it’s in footy that son of guns Melbourne schoolboy Jack Peris wants to make his mark.

At just 15 the youngest child of Olympic gold medallist Nova Peris and tragically killed sprint champion Daniel Batman, is already faster than any player in the St Kilda seniors side he hopes to play for, according to his stepfather Scott Appleton.

Inspired by his cousin, Geelong midfielder Brandan Parfitt, family friend Ben Long (nephew of the legendary Michael) and the Rioli boys, Peris is being mentored by Nathan Lovett-Murray and Nick Dal Santo, he says.i

A member of St Kilda’s football academy, the skill and speed of the Year 10 Melbourne Grammar scholarship student has been noticed and there are high hopes he’ll be drafted by the Saints when he turns 18.

But before then, “Jacky-boy” – who is already running personal best times of 10.97 in the 100 metres, 21.94 in his favourite 200m event and 49.11 in the 400 – has his sights set on snaring as many track titles and smashing as many sprint records as he can.

Coached full-time by his mum – former Australian hockey and sprinting star, turned Labor Senator, Nova Peris – Jack has more than just good sporting genes, he has dedication, discipline and, most importantly, humility, his family and friends say.

Leaving politics to be closer to her son – who was a boarder when he started at Melbourne Grammar in Year 7 – is a decision Nova Peris says she has never regretted.

Moving to Melbourne has allowed the family to live together again, and for Nova to coach her son in athletics – in heat, wind, rain and hail – five nights a week.

“Jack is willing to make sacrifices – he doesn’t go out on weekends like other kids his age,” Nova says. “He says ‘I have to train, I want a national title, I want to break records and I want a good education’. He knows getting those things requires discipline and sacrifice. Genetics is important in sport but it’s nothing if you don’t also have determination, discipline and accountability.

Already the holder of multiple national and state sprinting titles, not to mention a swag of Melbourne Grammar and APS records – the latest set just a couple of weeks ago -“if anything, Jacky-boy is too humble”, she says.

“He has a lot to be proud of but he never really talks about his successes.”

Just eight when his father, former Olympic sprinter and 200 metre champion Daniel Batman, died at age 31 in a car crash near Darwin, Jack says he tries not to let the weight of expectation weigh too heavily on his young shoulders.

“I just do my training, work my hardest and then go out there and do my own thing,” he says. “But it’s a good feeling to win … it’s an awesome feeling, after you’ve trained so hard.”

Why then, is he choosing footy over a potentially illustrious sprinting career?

Because Jack likes being part of a team and earning an income from athletics is notoriously hard, Nova says.

“Athletics is a very tough and lonely path,” she says.

It’s something Jack acknowledges.

“I love athletics but it’s a difficult pathway and it’s an incredibly difficult industry to succeed in,” he says. “My main goals now are to make the world junior championships and the Youth Commonwealth Games in athletics, and after that I’ll focus on my footy.”

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jackie-Boy Peris

OK, fill me in.

Do players in n"the St Kilda Academy" automatically get drafted to the Saints if we nominate them?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 7:49pm OK, fill me in.

Do players in n"the St Kilda Academy" automatically get drafted to the Saints if we nominate them?
No .Same rules as father son.

guitars4
Club Player

If he's half as good as our last Jackie Boy he will be a pretty acquisition

guitars4
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 9:27pm If he's half as good as our last Jackie Boy he will be a pretty acquisition
Forgot to say handy :oops:

Special
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 9:27pm If he's half as good as our last Jackie Boy he will be a pretty acquisition
If he’s half as good as his Mum & Dad I’ll be happy!

Another Gresh - one Caucasian parent and one Aboriginal one

Harves Man
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 9:29pm
Forgot to say handy :oops:
Please don't berate yourself - there's nothing wrong with how you find Jack Steven attractive. Plenty of girls do, too. Most thinking people are really quite accepting, nowadays. :D