Marshall over the moon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Marshall over the moon

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 9:20am
barneyboyz wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 7:58am
To the top wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 5:58pm Marshall’s impact was around the ground including at ground level following ruck contests

His marking improved markedly to compliment his athleticism - and we saw what we saw

The immediate impact of Ryder will be the option of playing Marshall forward where I am of the view he will be a sensation with his attributes

To me this is the reason Bruce was traded out

The next concern is back up for Ryder because currently there is none
+1 I totally agree with this. Marshall as a forward could be something the likes of we've never seen. Well yes, we've seen a couple of reall good ones I know, but he could be nigh on impossible to defend
you'd have to think he will start in the forward line come round 1, I'm hoping he really keeps Max King out of the side for as long as possible to allow Max to build up to his first game. I have concerns over Max being fragile and injury prone.
His brother isn't so why should he.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 11:10am
To the top wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 5:58pm Marshall’s impact was around the ground including at ground level following ruck contests

His marking improved markedly to compliment his athleticism - and we saw what we saw

The immediate impact of Ryder will be the option of playing Marshall forward where I am of the view he will be a sensation with his attributes

+1 I totally agree with this. Marshall as a forward could be something the likes of we've never seen. Well yes, we've seen a couple of reall good ones I know, but he could be nigh on impossible to defend
you'd have to think he will start in the forward line come round 1, I'm hoping he really keeps Max King out of the side for as long as possible to allow Max to build up to his first game. I have concerns over Max being fragile and injury prone.
umm because Max is/has been injury prone to-date. Hasn't achieved anything other than being handed the No. 12 jumper. Who knows, Max could have a shorter career than Paddy, it happens too often for it not to be a real possibility. Personally I'd like to see Max spend most of 2020 at Sandy getting physically conditioned.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 11:48am

umm because Max is/has been injury prone to-date. Hasn't achieved anything other than being handed the No. 12 jumper. Who knows, Max could have a shorter career than Paddy, it happens too often for it not to be a real possibility. Personally I'd like to see Max spend most of 2020 at Sandy getting physically conditioned.
Rubbish.

To the top
SS Life Member

With Marshall and Membrey forward King will be the icing on the cake

So he will not be attracting the No 1 or No 2 tall defender - good luck with that

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I salivate at the prospect of Membrey not being the sole focus of the best defenders in the comp.

barneyboyz
Club Player

If he's fit come round 1 he plays. But as has been said, he won't get the #1 defender, if he doe's then someone's going to have a party :) At any rate, Max has done the recovery time and work, so should play if ready

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Secret Kiel
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 1:00pm

If he's fit come round 1 he plays. But as has been said, he won't get the #1 defender, if he doe's then someone's going to have a party :) At any rate, Max has done the recovery time and work, so should play if ready
I'm not so convinced he's an automatic selection, a few practice matches isn't enough to get him selected over say someone like Ryder who should get first crack based on proven ability at the elite level. Then it is up to Max to push him out from there.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 1:03pm

I'm not so convinced he's an automatic selection, a few practice matches isn't enough to get him selected over say someone like Ryder who should get first crack based on proven ability at the elite level. Then it is up to Max to push him out from there.
Absolutely he would not be an automatic selection, I should have clarified my point better. He plays round 1 if ready and fit, but to not do so simply due to his knee issues is problematic too

Secret Kiel
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 1:11pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 1:03pm

Absolutely he would not be an automatic selection, I should have clarified my point better. He plays round 1 if ready and fit, but to not do so simply due to his knee issues is problematic too
My concerns are as much about the required culture for this next phase of the rebuild, the culture now has to be you have to push a player out of the best 22. Max was only starting to show something at VFL level and was arguably a week away from his debut. If it comes down to Ryder and Max for a position in round 1 say, and based on both players having a successful pre season then Ryder gets picked ahead of Max based on proven ability at the elite level. Surely.

Watch the PR video the club just posted with Ratten the 1-4 year players. He's made it clear the new players have to push players out. Is Ratten going to chose Max for round one based on how many games in the VFL nearly 9 months earlier? He'd be contradicting himself pretty early on and creating discontent with the players pretty early on if starts picking unproven players ahead of proven stars.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Will come down to form in the preseason games IMHO.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 2:09pm
My concerns are as much about the required culture for this next phase of the rebuild, the culture now has to be you have to push a player out of the best 22. Max was only starting to show something at VFL level and was arguably a week away from his debut. If it comes down to Ryder and Max for a position in round 1 say, and based on both players having a successful pre season then Ryder gets picked ahead of Max based on proven ability at the elite level. Surely.

Watch the PR video the club just posted with Ratten the 1-4 year players. He's made it clear the new players have to push players out. Is Ratten going to chose Max for round one based on how many games in the VFL nearly 9 months earlier? He'd be contradicting himself pretty early on and creating discontent with the players pretty early on if starts picking unproven players ahead of proven stars.
What a load of speculative crap.

Max was one game away from debut before injury, source - a close family member.

If Max is fit and remotely in form, he plays round one.
You have no idea how highly he is viewed internally to suggest above.

His brother is getting more that two times the $ Max gets, which includes a huge AFL marketing allowance (source - family member) and you think the club should give him the bulk of the season at Sandy. He’d request a trade at year end and the AFL would love him up North.

If fit Max plays round 1, lock it in now!
If Ryder is fit, both will play, they are not competing for a place.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Old school Saints thinking. I don't care if you were there when Max was conceived. If Max get's a game purely because he's remotely fit and the club are paranoid he'll request a trade then he will be the genesis for this current rebuild failing. Let's hope he earns his spot by pushing a player out of the team otherwise we might as well start talking about sacking Ratts for having double standards and having favourites.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Max has pushed a player out

Bruce

Ryder is a bog average forward and doesn’t really like playing there, prefers the freedom of the ruck (where you cruise around without an opponent most of the time)

Marshall will also be an average forward, good ruckman mind you.

Max will definitely play R1

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 9:50pm Max has pushed a player out

Bruce

Ryder is a bog average forward and doesn’t really like playing there, prefers the freedom of the ruck (where you cruise around without an opponent most of the time)

Marshall will also be an average forward, good ruckman mind you.

Max will definitely play R1
Noted that you think Marshall will be an average forward.

I think he will be above average in the minutes he plays there.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

What ruckmen over the journey have been good forwards?

Forwards have turned into ruckmen, but rarely the other way around.

Marshall is mobile for a big man, but does he possess the speed and agility to be a KPP?
Could he apply defensive pressure

What’s he like with a close checking opponent?

He could play forward, but will be far more effective in the ruck imo

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spider did alright

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Alright, but not a key forward really, more resting in the FP

Heatley and Loewe played FF and CHF

Spider kicked 40 goals a couple of times

Was a far better ruckman than forward

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Also it was a while ago

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 7:44pm Old school Saints thinking. I don't care if you were there when Max was conceived. If Max get's a game purely because he's remotely fit and the club are paranoid he'll request a trade then he will be the genesis for this current rebuild failing. Let's hope he earns his spot by pushing a player out of the team otherwise we might as well start talking about sacking Ratts for having double standards and having favourites.
Wow, you really are an extremist aren’t you!

Talk about Ratts getting sacked because of playing favorites and rebuild failing because a couple of us are of the opinion a 206cm highly rated athletic forward will play round 1 if fit.

I guess in your model he plays the season at Sandy because he’s injury prone and fighting Ryder for a spot in the team, guess you can’t get injured at Sandy.

Do you think Bruce would have been traded if King wasn’t in the clubs plans for round 1 and beyond?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019 8:11am
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 7:44pm Old school Saints thinking. I don't care if you were there when Max was conceived. If Max get's a game purely because he's remotely fit and the club are paranoid he'll request a trade then he will be the genesis for this current rebuild failing. Let's hope he earns his spot by pushing a player out of the team otherwise we might as well start talking about sacking Ratts for having double standards and having favourites.

Talk about Ratts getting sacked because of playing favorites and rebuild failing because a couple of us are of the opinion a 206cm highly rated athletic forward will play round 1 if fit.

I guess in your model he plays the season at Sandy because he’s injury prone and fighting Ryder for a spot in the team, guess you can’t get injured at Sandy.

Do you think Bruce would have been traded if King wasn’t in the clubs plans for round 1 and beyond?
Don't get all bent outa shape, but I'm not sure re Bruce being traded but seeing as though you are an ITK maybe you could ask your close family member, or CFM as it will be known from this point forward.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

point of order !!

CFM is ....

we all know
even Urban Dictionary will know

can’t be using that on a kiddies forum

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 10:18pm What ruckmen over the journey have been good forwards?

Marshall is mobile for a big man, but does he possess the speed and agility to be a KPP?

Marshall was recruited as a forward and, for a beginner, looked more than useful in his early games at chf, I thought. Strong, mobile, good hands, good kick and, most of all, a smart footballer.

I’m not one for pigeonholing players. I’d classify him firstly as a good footballer and I think he’s capable of playing forward, back or ruck.

Recruiting Ryder makes us very adaptable. Both can ruck, both can push forward and be damaging. Both are mobile enough that we’ll be able to play two rucks, which will give us a point of difference against the modern paradigm.

I think that’s great and exactly what we need. It will be surprisingly effective.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019 9:52am
B.M wrote: Mon 11 Nov 2019 10:18pm What ruckmen over the journey have been good forwards?

Marshall was recruited as a forward and, for a beginner, looked more than useful in his early games at chf, I thought. Strong, mobile, good hands, good kick and, most of all, a smart footballer.

I’m not one for pigeonholing players. I’d classify him firstly as a good footballer and I think he’s capable of playing forward, back or ruck.

Recruiting Ryder makes us very adaptable. Both can ruck, both can push forward and be damaging. Both are mobile enough that we’ll be able to play two rucks, which will give us a point of difference against the modern paradigm.

I think that’s great and exactly what we need. It will be surprisingly effective.
Well put bigcarl, thank god Marshall wasn't pigeon holed (he actually was, as a forward / pinch hitting ruck) or else we'd still be debating over Longer & Pierce. Marshall is versatile and with the confidence taken from 2019 will continue to grow wherever he plays.

People get confused believing Ryder pushed Bruce out when they are two separate trades. We always needed ruck depth, experienced and otherwise. Bruce needed a long contract. Both got what they wanted.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019 8:29am
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 12 Nov 2019 8:11am

Don't get all bent outa shape, but I'm not sure re Bruce being traded but seeing as though you are an ITK maybe you could ask your close family member, or CFM as it will be known from this point forward.
Lol, you write don’t get bent out of shape then proceed to get all salty with your post 😂

ITK - lol again, never been an ITK and never claimed to be, just quoted a family member of the King twins.

Let’s get back on track with the topic, I think Max will play round one as he is in our best two forward KPP options. You think he’s behind Ryder and should be playing most of the season at Sandy.

Let’s agree to disagree 👍

barneyboyz
Club Player

This isn't just about round 1 2020. if it's round 2, 6, 10 OR 23? Point is, for us to get better some senior players need to be pushed out, simple.

I tried to be funny about what that meant for Gears i.e. his kicking. Fact is, nearly everything Jarryn does on a football field is about desparation, you either got it or not... but someone at this club needs to match him on that, and deliver the footy with a reasonable amount of accuracy.

If Gears plays a significant role next season (on field), then nobody has pushed him hard enough, and we ain't ready for finals