Leo Connolly

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Leo Connolly

Few excerpts below re: Leo Connolly in the TAC this year

2019 Finals - Week 1 - Gippsland Power vs. Oakleigh Chargers

#10 Leo Connolly

Connolly is improving with every game he plays in 2019 and appears to be gaining confidence with every touch too. He is a genuine elite user of the pill and is becoming a vital cog at half back. The obvious highlight was his thumping goal from outside 50 in the second term that sparked the Gippsland goal flurry before half time. He had some excellent contested moments to balance out the carry and skills nicely, using smart body work to take a great intercept mark in the second term. He finished with 23 disposals and a match high 11 rebound 50s. Connolly is in form at the right time of the year and giving recruiters plenty to think about.

2019 Semi Final - Gippsland v Western Jets

Leo Connolly
Gippsland Power | Defender
7/08/2001 | 180cm | 72kg

Stats: 19 disposals (16 kicks), 3 marks, 3 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s

Our scouts said: “Connolly’s excellent form continued on Saturday as he again took the game on with great intent from the back half… baulking around opponents and cutting through the corridor with dare before generally executing a pinpoint pass.” – Craig Byrnes

Verdict: Has been impressive in the back end of the year after putting in a number of consistent games previously with much of Gippsland’s core absent. Connolly is really starting to shine with his use by foot on either side and is a player who can become a real metres-gained asset from the back half or further afield. He’s silky on the ball and his impact on this game among a stacked Gippsland line-up shows his worth, so keep an eye on the state combine invitee.

From various other games

#10 Leo Connolly

Connolly played a more outside orientated game this week, generally starting on the wing and getting involved in multiple link up plays to have some high metre gained moments. He still attacked the hard ball when it was his turn though, winning a clean clearance in the first term with fast hands. Connolly often found himself in a position to feed the ball inside 50 and he hit some brilliant targets. One play in particular stood out during the third term, producing a pin point pass on his left foot inside 50 before he continued on running to provide a target about 30 metres out. He got the ball back, but just tried to do too much by playing on and rushing the shot. He had a solid day, finishing with 18 disposals.

#10 Leo Connolly

Provided some important run and carry for Gippsland throughout the match, and tried to break the lines by running down the middle. He took the game on in the second term with a number of bounces, avoiding opposition players along the way. With time and space Connolly’s disposal was very good, but he did get rushed on a few occasions. He worked hard throughout the game on his way to a really solid contribution.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Leo Connolly

Thanks for the excerpts Devilhead. They are interesting insights.

At Pick 64, with great Speed and Elite kicking skills, Leo sounds like a good young pick-up. Much better basic skills than we have been recruiting in the past - warm bodies.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Eljay Connors?

saint64
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:31pmEljay Connors?
That was the guy I was thing of in comparison too :-) - he and Billy Connolly of course

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

For Connolly its about a change in technique and form that rose sharply in 2019. He has proven he can listen, has an elite skill base to start with and doubled his possession and tackle count in one season. So many bolters from pick 50+ rankings as 17 year olds are missed. You have to take a punt on a few.

BonoRocks
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 1:31pmEljay Connors?
Stephen Milne, Leigh Montagna, Aussie Jones
All little highly skilled.

Might as well not write off a pick 60 the moment he walks in the door, maybe some positive vibes

darylcowie
Club Player

Where is Leo Connolly?

Why is there no story about his "landing" at RSEA Park?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

From now known as “ Littlie”.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 04 Dec 2019 5:14pm From now known as “ Littlie”.
:D

ace
Saintsational Legend

He must be good because we passed up using his pick to secure Biggy when league premiers Richmond wanted Biggy.
We will watch with interest to see who has the best AFL career, Biggy or Leo.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
SuperDuper
Club Player

ace wrote: Thu 05 Dec 2019 7:30am He must be good because we passed up using his pick to secure Biggy when league premiers Richmond wanted Biggy.

maybe.. but we may have rated Biggy ahead of Leo, but rated someone else highly enough to pass on Biggy, hoping our target made it to our next pick... but then lost him.

So maybe we gambled and lost... so keep an eye on all players between Leo and Biggy :)

To me, we should have just trusted Richmond who have a great recruitment record, and chosen him... why trust yourself more than the opposition analyst? If it was a close call, why not consider their opinion as the equal to ours?

I think we should have taken him, but here is hoping Leo is better than Biggy

DJ Higgins
Club Player

If biggy wasn't in our academy I doubt anyone on hear would be talking about him. We had him ear marked as a rookie from most accounts so seriously not shown enough to be a real loss
Leo is a late pick who is getting better but seems to get caught a bit at vfl level so will struggle at AFL unless he improves dramatically

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 05 Dec 2019 8:51am
ace wrote: Thu 05 Dec 2019 7:30am He must be good because we passed up using his pick to secure Biggy when league premiers Richmond wanted Biggy.

maybe.. but we may have rated Biggy ahead of Leo, but rated someone else highly enough to pass on Biggy, hoping our target made it to our next pick... but then lost him.

So maybe we gambled and lost... so keep an eye on all players between Leo and Biggy :)

To me, we should have just trusted Richmond who have a great recruitment record, and chosen him... why trust yourself more than the opposition analyst? If it was a close call, why not consider their opinion as the equal to ours?

I think we should have taken him, but here is hoping Leo is better than Biggy
Not a snow flake's chance in hell, imhfo. :cry: :cry:

Shaggy
Club Player

Huge call by Leo's TAC cup coach - "He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level"

https://nableague.com.au/afl-draft-club-thoughts-pt-1/

LEO CONNOLLY (no.64 to St Kilda): “There was a lot of buzz for Leo after the season because his form was great from mid-year onwards. He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level – it’s a complete mirror image on both sides. He can kick to long targets on both feet at pace and I’ve hardly ever seen that before.

“Couple that with his speed and agility, I think he’s tailor-made for AFL football. I’d expect him to play at half-back and he’ll keep improving as he spends more time in an elite environment, so I think he’s an inspired pick by St Kilda.”

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sat 07 Dec 2019 12:58pm Huge call by Leo's TAC cup coach - "He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level"

LEO CONNOLLY (no.64 to St Kilda): “There was a lot of buzz for Leo after the season because his form was great from mid-year onwards. He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level – it’s a complete mirror image on both sides. He can kick to long targets on both feet at pace and I’ve hardly ever seen that before.

“Couple that with his speed and agility, I think he’s tailor-made for AFL football. I’d expect him to play at half-back and he’ll keep improving as he spends more time in an elite environment, so I think he’s an inspired pick by St Kilda.”
So he’s shyte not just on his dominant foot but also the other!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 07 Dec 2019 1:26pm
Shaggy wrote: Sat 07 Dec 2019 12:58pm Huge call by Leo's TAC cup coach - "He’s the best two-sided kick I’ve ever seen, including at AFL level"

So he’s shyte not just on his dominant foot but also the other!!
:roll: If that's meant to be a joke,then big fail.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote: Thu 05 Dec 2019 8:51am

So maybe we gambled and lost...
Didn't they ever hear of the old proverb; a biggy in the hand is with two biggies in the bush ??

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

On a positive note, we are looking at players with elite foot skills. 10 kicks at 100% is a whole lot better than 15 kicks at 50%

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Not only can he kick exactly the same way on both feet, today I saw him perfectly bounce two footballs, one in each hand, at the same time.