Bigoa (Biggy) Nyuon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bigoa (Biggy) Nyuon

I was at a sports function last night and spoke at length with an admin person from an athletics background.

They work and from time to time research athletes born OS and their history and do some cross over work for AFL clubs.

I was told that there are a number of Regional Chinese, African & Middle Eastern born children in Australia who derive from regions where birth records are unavailable or in some cases deliberately hidden so age is specific to information available on entry to Australia.

In some cases the age of the person has been found to be lowered by up to 4 years to ensure the child enters school, sporting environment with an advantage. I was told the names of three elite athletes (and validated these on line) who have been re-badged by up to three years which then makes their sports performance more average than exceptional.

It was stated there was a potential draftee this year that a club found on investigation to be at least three years older than his stated age, I guess this would impact the perceived upside of the player. The person would not tell me club or player name so I cannot confirm if it was or was not Biggy.

If it was, (IF) it may answer some questions as to why we did not pursue the kid.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

good to live in a country where that is all above board...I'm 45 btw

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 2:30pm good to live in a country where that is all above board...I'm 45 btw
Afternoon young fella 8-)

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 1:29pm I was at a sports function last night and spoke at length with an admin person from an athletics background.

They work and from time to time research athletes born OS and their history and do some cross over work for AFL clubs.

I was told that there are a number of Regional Chinese, African & Middle Eastern born children in Australia who derive from regions where birth records are unavailable or in some cases deliberately hidden so age is specific to information available on entry to Australia.

In some cases the age of the person has been found to be lowered by up to 4 years to ensure the child enters school, sporting environment with an advantage. I was told the names of three elite athletes (and validated these on line) who have been re-badged by up to three years which then makes their sports performance more average than exceptional.

It was stated there was a potential draftee this year that a club found on investigation to be at least three years older than his stated age, I guess this would impact the perceived upside of the player. The person would not tell me club or player name so I cannot confirm if it was or was not Biggy.

If it was, (IF) it may answer some questions as to why we did not pursue the kid.
I might take that up with his brother to see if it might have been Biggy.

But with 8 brothers and sisters should be relatively easy to see where he fits in the family and thus work out his age.

Interesting though.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 3:36pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 1:29pm I was at a sports function last night and spoke at length with an admin person from an athletics background.

Imight take that up with his brother to see if it might have been Biggy.

But with 8 brothers and sisters should be relatively easy to see where he fits in the family and thus work out his age.

Interesting though.
To provide a bit more info from the discussion Junior National Athletics has issues from a Midle Eastern & African background where it is Chinese born Australians in swimming.

The Chinese apparently go to great lengths to reduce their kids age on entry to Australia for school & sport purpose.

The Africans just sometimes have no record.

Worth the question for sure, the person certainly said there is history with the Nth boy who has been in the system for a long time said to be at least 3 years older than stated age.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I will make some enquiries

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure whether the Saints were confident enough that they had a support network for Biggy and perhaps that's an area we need to improve.

What's really important is that the club tries to create an environment where talented young kids feel comfortable playing for the club.

I'm only speculating whether money or lack of resources had a part to play in the decision not to recruit him and if the club felt relieved to miss out on him

If it's something that was troubling some of our officials, perhaps they need to engage in open dialogue with the AFL and get some more financial help

We need leaders at our club and at AFL level that will genuinely embrace the next generation of kids from African born families....whether they are 18 or 20 or 21

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps he is just another great athlete with average skills and we are moving away from that. I saw a news clip.that talked about his athletic ability but also.mentioned that he had a lot of work to do on his skills.
His athleticism is said to be elite, so he drafted high for some reason.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the age.com.au

"St Kilda

It was always going to be a quiet night for the Saints after their heavy trade period involvement left them with minimal picks. Midfielder Ryan Byrnes (52) was taken after a stellar year for the Sandringham Dragons before Gippsland outside speedster Leo Connolly (64) also became a Saint late in the piece. St Kilda opted not to match Richmond’s bid on academy player Bigoa Nyuon. Having lost Jack Steven and Jack Newnes, the Saints went some way to replenish their Jack stocks by taking raw tall Jack Bell as a rookie.

Recruiting manager Chris Liberatore: "We probably thought there was a reasonable chance that someone would bid towards the back end of the draft. In the end we had to weigh up the decision between matching the bid and what else might be there at our next pick. It was a pretty difficult decision."

Gershwin
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 02 Dec 2019 11:59am From the age.com.au

"St Kilda

It was always going to be a quiet night for the Saints after their heavy trade period involvement left them with minimal picks. Midfielder Ryan Byrnes (52) was taken after a stellar year for the Sandringham Dragons before Gippsland outside speedster Leo Connolly (64) also became a Saint late in the piece. St Kilda opted not to match Richmond’s bid on academy player Bigoa Nyuon. Having lost Jack Steven and Jack Newnes, the Saints went some way to replenish their Jack stocks by taking raw tall Jack Bell as a rookie.

Recruiting manager Chris Liberatore: "We probably thought there was a reasonable chance that someone would bid towards the back end of the draft. In the end we had to weigh up the decision between matching the bid and what else might be there at our next pick. It was a pretty difficult decision."
So I wonder who they were hoping for at 64. Could have been any of those taken 55-63 or Connolly.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 02 Dec 2019 3:24pm

"St Kilda

So I wonder who they were hoping for at 64. Could have been any of those taken 55-63 or Connolly.
Maybe it was Connelly.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 02 Dec 2019 3:24pm

"St Kilda

That's a good point. Most have been asking what did they see in Connolly over Biggy but they may have been keen on any of those players in between.
I guess we'll never know.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 02 Dec 2019 4:10pm
That's a good point. Most have been asking what did they see in Connolly over Biggy but they may have been keen on any of those players in between.
I guess we'll never know.
A poster on BF claimed that Dal Santo, who is involved with our Academy Players, indicated that the Saints rated Biggy as a rookie pick.

If so then the Saints were never going to match an offer.

If the Saints did rate him as a rookie it would be silly to match just because another club wanted to pay more for Biggy than we did.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hope Biggy is a few years older now the Tigers got
Him

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 2475f3fdc5

"Richmond draftee Bigoa Nyuon tipped to make Saints regret letting him slip to Tigers

Former AFL star Darren Bewick, who has watched Richmond draftee Bigoa Nyuon develop at Rowville Secondary College, says the 195cm midfielder has the attributes to emerge as the Tigers’ next Sudanese star.

"The Sudanese refugee Richmond drafted from St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy has been hailed a brilliant athlete who has “just scratched the surface” of his football potential.

The Tigers secured 196cm defender Bigoa ‘Biggie’ Nyuon when the Saints declined to match their bid of pick No. 54 at Thursday night’s draft.

Rowville Secondary said the Saints “did a really good job” developing Nyuon, although come draft night they chose to take Gippsland Power midfielder Leo Connolly at No. 64 instead of Nyuon.

Nyuon – who has was four sisters and three brothers – was nicknamed ‘Biggie’ by his kindergarten teacher because he loved rapper Biggie Smalls.

The family fled to Australia when Nyuon was a toddler and all eight children were raised by single mother Mary in Cranbourne.

Nyuon excelled at athletics early when Mary decreed football too rough before she eventually let her son play for Hallam.

Older brother Gach spent 2016 on Essendon’s rookie list. Nyuon will join fellow Sudanese talent Mabior Chol at Punt Rd as they hope to join Aliir Aliir (Sydney) and Majak Daw (North Melbourne) as success stories.

“The Tigers have got a bloke who’s 201cm (listed at 196cm) and athletically through the roof,” Rowville football academy boss Darren Bewick said.

“He tested the fastest over the state and national combine for speed (20m in 2.85 sec), he’s got a great leap, he kicks the ball really well and I think we’ve just scratched the surface.

“He’s got all the attributes to be a really good player.”

The popular teenager returned to Rowville to address the Year 7-8 students on Friday.

“He’s a very likeable young man, a king down here, and he spoke about what it meant and how he got to speak to Dusty Martin that night,” Bewick said.

“The Tigers have got a ripper kid and I hope they’re able to furnish his ability. If they can they’re going to have a really, really good player.

“For him to be able to firstly come to this country as a (three-year-old) with eight brothers and sisters and his mum taking care of them all … and he’s never forgotten that, he’s really appreciative of people that help him along the journey.

“He’s a ripping kid. He’s taken on everything that’s been presented to him, and sometimes he’s needed a little bit of a push, like all boys, but he loves the game and loves the team aspect of it and it’s only going to hold him in good stead.

“His journey has just begun and I think it can really turn into a really special one.”

Saints NGA manager Jack Henty spoke to Rowville regularly and helped get Nyuon to school for early study sessions every Thursday.

“The Saints were fantastic,” Rowville sports academy director Craig Jamieson said.

“I spoke to Jack once every couple of weeks and we met with Biggy every three or four weeks checking on how he was going with his subjects.”

Nyuon will join fellow Rowville alumni Jon Patton (Hawthorn), Hayden Crozier (Western Bulldogs), Tom North (Fremantle), Taylor Garner (North Melbourne), Taylin Duman (Fremantle), Jack Maibaum (Sydney) and Sam Hayes (Port Adelaide) on an AFL list in 2020.

saint6709
Club Player

He’s certainly an incredible specimen - being 3 different heights is quite an achievement for 1 young man

ace
Saintsational Legend

Single mother and a family of 8 children.
Maybe we decided he did not come from a good family.
That is our main selection criteria.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Gershwin
Club Player

ace wrote: Thu 05 Dec 2019 7:48am Single mother and a family of 8 children.
Maybe we decided he did not come from a good family.
That is our main selection criteria.
Clearly his mother can’t cook a roast.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Apparently Biggy is bad mouthing us now.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 11:14am Apparently Biggy is bad mouthing us now.
Much like yourself Troll.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 11:14am Apparently Biggy is bad mouthing us now.
something you are good at.

Junior
Club Player

Absolute rubbish my son spoke with him over the weekend nothing but good things to say about the club.

Seriously why you are allowed to continue to post your dribble beggars believe.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 04 Dec 2019 11:31am
"Richmond draftee Bigoa Nyuon tipped to make Saints regret letting him slip to Tigers
What a stupid headline. Typical of course

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 1:48pm
Absolute rubbish my son spoke with him over the weekend nothing but good things to say about the club.

Seriously why you are allowed to continue to post your dribble beggars believe.
Simon knows he’s a permanent troll but is happy for us to play with him. So treat him like you would treat any vermin

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 9:11pm
saynta wrote: Wed 04 Dec 2019 11:31am
What a stupid headline. Typical of course
Yes, another headline could easily be...

"St Kilda draftee Connolly tipped to make Tigers regret white anting Saints"