Newnes Hun Article Reproduced

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Newnes Hun Article Reproduced

Jack Newnes had some 'interesting" things to say about the Saints and his new club.

It's in today's Hun which is subscriber only so no point in posting the link.

Here is the article in full.

I have no problem with most of it. Newnes says what you might expect him to say.

The bit I have a problem with is when Newnes says some of his Saints team mates seemed to have the wrong attitude to pre season training.

If it's true I would say it is very much in the past and not part of the present regime.

Jack Newnes says he’s as fit as he’s ever been.

Don’t spit out your Cornflakes — he’s not trotting out that tired pre-season cliche.

Rather, Newnes is referring to his mental state, six weeks after leaving St Kilda for Carlton.

He acknowledges everyone says the same thing, but for the pacy winger it’s the truth.

The 26-year-old had crafted an impressive resume at the Saints. Life member, former leadership group member and equal club record holder for consecutive games (123) in a 155-game, eight-year stint.

But as Newnes explains to the Herald Sun, he was also desperate for change.

Ever since Newnes arrived at Carlton as a delisted free agent, you can’t wipe the smile off his face.

“I’m loving it, mate,” Newnes says.

“I feel a million bucks. I’m at ground zero again and I’m loving that feeling. I just want to throw myself into everything.”

Newnes’ is a voice laced with excitement, yet tinged with relief.

He is determined not to rubbish his old club, declaring that there were a “number of factors” behind his desire to turn down a contract offer and quit the Saints.

But he does admit the role change from halfback/wing to defensive forward was a factor.

“I was keen to do anything for the team, whether it be forward or as a defensive forward, but ideally that’s not where I wanted to be playing my footy (long term),” he said.

“When things aren’t going great and the team isn’t winning, there’s a lot of pressure and you get thrown around position-wise and things change.

“During the year — probably the last couple of years — my footy hasn’t been to the sort of standard I have wanted. There’s reasons for that.”

Newnes described his relationship with former coach Alan Richardson as “good” and said the arrival of Bradley Hill and Zak Jones among St Kilda’s huge trade haul played only a small part.

“It’s never been a thing of mine to worry about who is coming in. You always back yourself and get to work over the pre-season and earn your spot, which I’m trying to do here,” he said.

“But I guess when you hear things might be going that way (in the trade period) and you finish the year forward as a defensive forward … I had a meeting with the club towards the end of the year and there were probably things mentioned in that meeting where I thought, ‘Well, it’s not for me here’.

“I won’t go into it too far, but I’m here now.”

As Newnes was falling out of love with St Kilda, Carlton caught his eye.

The two clubs clashed for the second time in Round 22, with the Blues making it six wins from 10 games under coach David Teague in front of 51,786.

“It wasn’t a huge crowd, but the noise and the way the Blues supporters got behind the boys was pretty special,” he said.

“Stuff like that resonated with me. I know it’s a massive club, the supporter base is unbelievable and it’s got a great history.”

Newnes sat down with Carlton — coach David Teague, former GM of list management Stephen Silvagni, football manager Brad Lloyd and list manager Mick Agresta — late in October’s trade period.

After a solid start to pre-season, he is dreaming of a wing/halfback role next year, but knows a starting berth won’t come easy.

“It was a bit of a shock to be honest — the competitiveness among the young brigade and how much they want it. It’s been ‘game on’ from the word go,” he said.

“When I was at my previous club you could tell who had come back a bit out of shape or who wasn’t training as well, but here you can’t find one.

“The leaders are very strong leaders … but then there’s the up-and-coming guys.

“Personally, I think Jacob Weitering is setting himself up for something pretty big.

“Even guys like Liam Jones — because you’ve played against them you don’t understand how they go about it.

“I’m just so pumped to be here and just want to get to the season now.”

SMS
Club Player

Re: Newnes Hun Article Reproduced

Guys who didnt come back in shape
White, Rice, Longer, Acres, Holmes
they are gone now.

The last 12 months have been massive for us.

Upgraded Facilities, Upgraded Coaches, Staff and CULTURE.

We will play finals in 2020

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sounds pretty confident, must have come across some photos of Teague 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 15 Dec 2019 7:56pm Sounds pretty confident, must have come across some photos of Teague 👍
:D :lol: :wink: