My Xmas Wish For 2020

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

My Xmas Wish For 2020

I’m a believer.

That was a popular tune by the made for television pop band the Monkees.

Carbon dates me I know. What can I say? I’m old.

It also happens to cheerfully be my anthem for our footy club in 2020.

I’m a believer. In our coach. In our new recruits, both on and off the field. So glad we have Roughy in St Kilda colours. In our ability to tackle the things that beat us in 2019. Namely basic footy skills like disposal and forward 50 entries.

But being a believer doesn’t mean you see the world with rose coloured glasses, like someone who we won’t mention, who used to haunt this forum.

It also doesn’t mean because I love Ratts, I won’t hold him to account.

My word I will.

This footy club has to start delivering. It owes it to the fans, as well as to itself. One premiership does not cut it.

But let’s get back to why I might consider myself a believer.

The club is finally talking about rectifying some of the things that has driven all of us crazy all of the time. Namely, doing the hard yards to get possession only to throw it away due to poor skills or even poorer decision making.

If Brad Hill manages to stay fit ( touch wood) and his knee holds up, we are going to love the way this guy gets the ball, runs with the ball and delivers the ball. He does everything with class and precision. One of those unique talents who seems to have that extra time to execute properly no matter how much pressure he’s under. And he’s going to bring others into the game.

I believe Paddy Ryder is going to be an enormous help to the prospect. He’s going to teach him valuable stuff and more than hold his own when the job is solely his. My training spies tell me Paddy is relishing being at the Saints. How good would it be for him to show something of his All Australian capability?

We now have some players with serious leg speed. Line breaking speed. I can’t remember the last time we had players capable of doing that.

The backline looks strong. Really strong. If Dylan Roberton finally has his heart issues under control, and has a big pre season, imagine what a difference he will make?

Similarly, so many guys appear ready to take that extra step into greatness.

I’m talking about Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Jack Billings, Jade Grisham and maybe Ben Long. I know it’s often said and doesn’t always happen. But……Imagine if they all turned into A grade talent? What a footy team we would become?

Yeah I know if wishes were fishes we’d all swim in riches.

But if you look back over the last two years, there were times when we really showed signs of what we could be capable of. Times when we more than matched it with the very best in the AFL.

And yes we can expect all of the AFL clubs to show improvement in 2020, especially Gold Coast and Carlton. Like us, they yearn for success. The only difference we’ve been wanting it for far longer.

Surely the players want it as much as we do? Surely?

So the real question going into 2020 will be: Do we have what it takes to be successful? Do we have the on field and off field talent to deliver?

Not a premiership necessarily, but maybe knocking on the door and knocking off some of the clubs like Sydney, Adelaide and Port who always seem to have our measure.

I think the answer is yes, I hope the answer is. I believe the answer is yes.

I’m a believer.

Merry Xmas to all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: My Xmas Wish For 2020

And to you and yours mate.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Count me in damienc, worth listening to the original, and significantly it topped the charts in 1966!

and heck, as a lifelong Saints supporter, "I couldn't leave her if I tried"!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
damienc
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 8:59pm Count me in damienc, worth listening to the original, and significantly it topped the charts in 1966!

and heck, as a lifelong Saints supporter, "I couldn't leave her if I tried"!!
Legend.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I'm a Believer was written by Neil Diamond.

I wonder if we'll find any diamonds at the Saints in 2020.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
barneyboyz
Club Player

Thanks damienc, this is just what was needed for Christmas. I am a believer too, and you know what I'm so excited about? it's that we're finally getting things right 'off field'.

Go Saints

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I used to be obsessed with this band and this song.
My wife threatened to leave me over it...I thought she was joking...Then I saw her face...

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 24 Dec 2019 11:36am I used to be obsessed with this band and this song.
My wife threatened to leave me over it...I thought she was joking...Then I saw her face...
was she a sweet young thing at the time? Did she make you laugh?

Seeya
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I think there best is another song that could apply to us long suffering saints fans
" What am i doing hanging round "

If i knew how to post a link i would :|

In red white and black from 73
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Tue 24 Dec 2019 4:31pm
Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 24 Dec 2019 11:36am I used to be obsessed with this band and this song.
was she a sweet young thing at the time? Did she make you laugh?
Sometimes...But I did take the last train to Clarkesville to see her.