Midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Midfield

Often hear that we lack an A Grade mid?

Here’s what I think of a very capable midfield for 2020!

Current midfield

Starters

Jack Billings - Wing/HHF
Talent suggests he should be A Grade, numbers say he is A Grade. Seems underrated because more is expected, but reality is that he performs at a high level.

Brad Hill - Wing
One of the best out and out wingmen in the game, so clearly Elite.

Rowan Marshall - Ruck
Statistically the 3rd best ruckman in the game at 24. If he can back it up he is A Grade

Seb Ross - Inside Mid
Terribly underrated by fans. Massive accumulator due to his hard running, and also wins the footy at stoppage. 2 b&fs at 26 and is super consistent. B grade at worst, A Grade at best.

Dan Hannebury - Inside/Outside
Injury free he is absolutely Elite! However it’s been a while since his body had been fully fit! If he can get back to 80-90% of his best he will still be A Grade. He was 70% last year and was impressive! Great decision maker and user, insanely courageous and good leader.

Jack Steel - Inside Mid
OK mid, Elite tagger! Has played on and beaten most Elite Mids in the comp. best Tackler in the AFL and can win the footy at stoppage.

Back Ups

Dunstan - Inside mid
Good a stoppage, can get first hands on it. Tough and competitive. Lacks polish and run but a capable mid. C+ grade

Zac Jones - Wing/HB/Inside
Tough, hard running with great speed and often uses his run and carry when he gets possession. Average disposal though makes him a B Grader. He will be a lot better than people think imo.

Sinclair - HHF/Wing
Not overly quick, but hard running! Clever, creative player with neat skills. Was rated elite as a wingman a few years back, but mainly as a HF did not win a lot of footy last season. C+ grade player, potentially B Grade if he finds it a little more.

Gresham - Small Forward/Inside mid
A Grade small forward who is dangerous around goal, 35 goals (even after being inaccurate). He is a creative stoppage player who can weave though congestion. A very average ball user and poor tank suggests he should not be a full time mid, and is more of a burst player. If used correctly (70/30) I think he would provide excellent midfield support, whilst still being a damaging forward.
B+ grade.

Hunter Clark - HB/Wing/HF/Inside
Soon to be gun, he is a smooth mover who is also tough as nails and courageous as they come! Probably lacks a bit of strength and endurance to be a full tim mid (plus he reads the game so well across HB, and is an elite decision maker and user!) however, his continued development will see him spend time through the middle part of the ground. Could easily be A Grade by the end of the year, but I’d give him B Grade at the minute.

Dan Butler - Small Forward/Mid
Usually a hard tacking small forward, with skill, but can have a run through the centre if required. C Grade

Paddy Ryder - Ruck
Former AA ruckman was a quality player a few seasons ago because he is a skilled big man, great at ruck craft, mobile and a threat in front of the footy. He is a bit older now and his output has waned. Still a C Grade player at worse.

Back Ups
Langlands - Wing/HF/Inside Mid
Big body, explodes with the footy and powers through stoppage. Lacks some understanding of playing midfield at the elite level and kicking is not up to standard yet, but he is raw and a great athlete. D Grade atm

Jack Bytel - Inside Mid
At 189 and a solid build he is an impressive unit. Finds the ball and uses it well enough. Will be an A Grader in the future, but needs some time to develop. YTD

Ryan Byrnes - Inside Mid
I think we have selected a ripper at pick 50 odd!
Great acceleration, finds the footy, ok skills. Good all round game, with some great attributes! YTD

Ed Phillips - Wing
Awesome endurance, very suited to the wing position. Has a bit more developing to do, but could get there!
D Grade at the moment, but has scope.

Jack Bell - Ruck forward
Project ruckman with good skills. Can take a grab and moves well. Very light at the moment. YTD

Leo Connolly HB/Wing
Outside player with good disposal of both sides. YTD

Can’t think of any others that can play through the middle?

But I think we have a good midfield with good depth.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Midfield

Billings numbers (in pure possessions etc) may suggest A grade, but it's his field kicking and goal kicking which is dragging him down. Needs accuracy of 65%. Would like him to kick the ball like Zach Merrett. I still hold out hope though.

Hunter Clarke should make the transition to full time mid going into his 3rd season. Hannebery is the key. If he gets fit then the midfield looks decidedly better, especially with Hill giving us that outside run.

Looking fwd to seeing what Bytel can do.

These 5 players (obviously Marshall as well) hold the key for us I reckon. If Steele gives us his usual output, same with Ross, then our midfield will move into the B grade category and we can be competitive most weeks.

My biggest concern is the fwd line though. That's a whole other thread.....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 1:23am Often hear that we lack an A Grade mid?

Current midfield

Starters

Jack Billings - Wing/HHF
Talent suggests he should be A Grade, numbers say he is A Grade. Seems underrated because more is expected, but reality is that he performs at a high level.

Brad Hill - Wing

Rowan Marshall - Ruck
Statistically the 3rd best ruckman in the game at 24. If he can back it up he is A Grade

Seb Ross - Inside Mid
Terribly underrated by fans. Massive accumulator due to his hard running, and also wins the footy at stoppage. 2 b&fs at 26 and is super consistent. B grade at worst, A Grade at best.

Injury free he is absolutely Elite! However it’s been a while since his body had been fully fit! If he can get back to 80-90% of his best he will still be A Grade. He was 70% last year and was impressive! Great decision maker and user, insanely courageous and good leader.

Jack Steel - Inside Mid
OK mid, Elite tagger! Has played on and beaten most Elite Mids in the comp. best Tackler in the AFL and can win the footy at stoppage.

Back Ups

Dunstan - Inside mid
Good a stoppage, can get first hands on it. Tough and competitive. Lacks polish and run but a capable mid. C+ grade

Tough, hard running with great speed and often uses his run and carry when he gets possession. Average disposal though makes him a B Grader. He will be a lot better than people think imo.

Sinclair - HHF/Wing
Not overly quick, but hard running! Clever, creative player with neat skills. Was rated elite as a wingman a few years back, but mainly as a HF did not win a lot of footy last season. C+ grade player, potentially B Grade if he finds it a little more.

A Grade small forward who is dangerous around goal, 35 goals (even after being inaccurate). He is a creative stoppage player who can weave though congestion. A very average ball user and poor tank suggests he should not be a full time mid, and is more of a burst player. If used correctly (70/30) I think he would provide excellent midfield support, whilst still being a damaging forward.
B+ grade.

Soon to be gun, he is a smooth mover who is also tough as nails and courageous as they come! Probably lacks a bit of strength and endurance to be a full tim mid (plus he reads the game so well across HB, and is an elite decision maker and user!) however, his continued development will see him spend time through the middle part of the ground. Could easily be A Grade by the end of the year, but I’d give him B Grade at the minute.

Usually a hard tacking small forward, with skill, but can have a run through the centre if required. C Grade

Paddy Ryder - Ruck
Former AA ruckman was a quality player a few seasons ago because he is a skilled big man, great at ruck craft, mobile and a threat in front of the footy. He is a bit older now and his output has waned. Still a C Grade player at worse.

Back Ups
Big body, explodes with the footy and powers through stoppage. Lacks some understanding of playing midfield at the elite level and kicking is not up to standard yet, but he is raw and a great athlete. D Grade atm

Jack Bytel - Inside Mid
At 189 and a solid build he is an impressive unit. Finds the ball and uses it well enough. Will be an A Grader in the future, but needs some time to develop. YTD

Ryan Byrnes - Inside Mid
Great acceleration, finds the footy, ok skills. Good all round game, with some great attributes! YTD

Ed Phillips - Wing
Awesome endurance, very suited to the wing position. Has a bit more developing to do, but could get there!

Jack Bell - Ruck forward
Project ruckman with good skills. Can take a grab and moves well. Very light at the moment. YTD

Leo Connolly HB/Wing

Coffield. maybe.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Clark will have to move a better stoppage player out, to become a starting mid, not sure he has the game just yet

What he is though, is a quality running back, because he sees and reads the game so easily and his use off hb is quality! I have no doubt he will play a bit of midfield but is already an outstanding HB which means I’d use him there predominantly.

Coffield
Not a mid at all. Lacks intensity in his game.
Last edited by B.M on Sun 05 Jan 2020 9:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I really think you sell Coffield short B.M., he trained with the mids last season & likely to be training with them again. A very focused young man, a natural leader who, despite appearances, has some real mongrel in him. Buckley & Goddard like in his obsessiveness about the game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ve heard differently about Coffield.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

You also stated he sh!ts himself with the football (Geelong game, 2019) at a time he was running at 100% career efficiency. You cannot be that efficient & soil oneself.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 9:00am Clark will have to move a better stoppage player out, to become a starting mid, not sure he has the game just yet

What he is though, is a quality running back, because he sees and reads the game so easily and his use off hb is quality! I have no doubt he will play a bit of midfield but is already an outstanding HB which means I’d use him there predominantly.

Coffield
Not a mid at all. Lacks intensity in his game.
We will see. Anyway, I said maybe. :D

I have seen somthing in him. Like my early identification of Seb's skills. :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ratten rates Coff and had high praise for the young fella before he got injured late last year.

I'd rate Steele ahead of most of the team. We can't dispute his ability to negate and his numbers as far as tackles exemplify his role as a tagger, but I've seen Jack lift the team with his creativity and his skill level is underrated imo.

BM reckons Seb is underrated by fans, but there's justification as to why many supporters don't value accumulators. I detest when there is a pattern of soft handball receives or when a midfielder does a few dinky kicks which are ineffective just for the sake of a stat.

Seb deserves a lot of credit, but I think he could be A grade if he was prepared to put his body on the line a little more than he did at times in the last 2 years. I'd rather Seb fight his way out of a tackle or hang on to the footy when he doesn't have prior opportunity rather than just dispose of it anywhere and risk a turnover. I'd like him to especially stop kicking the footy 30m in the air when it only travels 10m closer to our goals

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb has one two b&fs

Better judges than us rate him!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I think across the board BM is overrating our midfield as a group.

Individual assessment is pretty good but compared with the top teams our midfield does not remotely rate.

Example: Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, Sidebottom, Beams, Grundy + DeGoey, Varcoe, Crisp, Sier etc

Martin, Edwards, Cotchin, Prestia + multiple running backs and forwards

At least we have tried to address weaknesses such as pace with Jones & Hill.

The big query is Hannebery, if he plays 18-20 games as an inside mid he’ll feed the likes of Hill, Jones & Billings nicely and the group looks ok.

If Hannebery is cooked and can’t get over the injuries we still look short on class after losing Steven.

Can’t see Ryder adding any value as he is finished IMO but hoping I’m wrong.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Joffa

Collingwood have one of the best midfields in the AFL

And of course Richmond do have elite quality but not great depth... you forgot two important players
Graham and even more so Lambert ... Pickett too
They have 2 kids that will be good RCD and Ross

I actually think GWS, Eagles and WB bat deeper than those two teams

On Collingwood
Crisp is a HB and Varcoe a HF who is at the end.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

When you say midfield you do not necessarily mean “on baller” right? I think midfield means starting in the middle and then following the ball but nowadays it seems as much a place on the field where we set as home base. If we think os a static midfield, I think we stack up competitively. If we think of “ on baller” being, “on the ball” I think we are in the weaker third of the competition, judging by all the second-hand and third-hand snippets of information I have garnered from media pundits up until the end of last season. Billings is elite, but not an onballer, Hill sounds like a positioned player rather than a guy running around all day from ball up to ball up, but I could easily be wrong about that.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Jack Billings must become a more contested player in 2020. He seemed more comfortable in 2019 with improved agression and defensive acts and seemed more comfortable to body players and really got some consistency in his tackling but he needs to maintain and improve this side of his game in 2020 to progress from the wing more onto the coal face.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 11:39am Ratten rates Coff and had high praise for the young fella before he got injured late last year.

I'd rate Steele ahead of most of the team. We can't dispute his ability to negate and his numbers as far as tackles exemplify his role as a tagger, but I've seen Jack lift the team with his creativity and his skill level is underrated imo.

BM reckons Seb is underrated by fans, but there's justification as to why many supporters don't value accumulators. I detest when there is a pattern of soft handball receives or when a midfielder does a few dinky kicks which are ineffective just for the sake of a stat.

Seb deserves a lot of credit, but I think he could be A grade if he was prepared to put his body on the line a little more than he did at times in the last 2 years. I'd rather Seb fight his way out of a tackle or hang on to the footy when he doesn't have prior opportunity rather than just dispose of it anywhere and risk a turnover. I'd like him to especially stop kicking the footy 30m in the air when it only travels 10m closer to our goals
Cracking summation!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 7:18pm Jack Billings must become a more contested player in 2020. He seemed more comfortable in 2019 with improved agression and defensive acts and seemed more comfortable to body players and really got some consistency in his tackling but he needs to maintain and improve this side of his game in 2020 to progress from the wing more onto the coal face.
Why? We've more than enough contested ball players, what we don't have is enough players who can dispose of the ball to our advantage. "Coal face" was never an issue, what came from there, haunts us.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Midfields are made up of

Ruckman, resting ruckman

3 inside Mids, 2 back up inside Mids

2 wingman, 1 back up outside mid

HIgh Half Forward

2 other players may also rotate through the midfield from either end, but generally small forward.

damienc
Club Player

Current midfield

Starters

Jack Billings - Wing/HHF

Brad Hill - Wing

Rowan Marshall - Ruck

Seb Ross - Inside Mid

Jack Steel - Inside Mid

Back Ups

Dunstan - Inside mid

Sinclair - HHF/Wing

B+ grade.

Paddy Ryder - Ruck

Back Ups

Jack Bytel - Inside Mid

Ryan Byrnes - Inside Mid

Ed Phillips - Wing

Jack Bell - Ruck forward

Leo Connolly HB/Wing

Great analysis.

damienc
Club Player

However, not sure you are right about Coff.

I think he will be much better than you think.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 9:57am You also stated he sh!ts himself with the football (Geelong game, 2019) at a time he was running at 100% career efficiency. You cannot be that efficient & soil oneself.
Agree I cant see Coffield making it as a midfielder- if we recruited him as such its a fail. He is a bit timid/lacks confidence and is not quick or agrressive enough in his thinking or actions to ever make it as a mid. Having said that he will make a better than average flanker, but will never be in the class of his draft mate in Clark.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bookmarked. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Harsh.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 8:13am

Current midfield

Starters

Jack Billings - Wing/HHF

Brad Hill - Wing

Rowan Marshall - Ruck

Seb Ross - Inside Mid

Jack Steel - Inside Mid

Back Ups

Dunstan - Inside mid

Sinclair - HHF/Wing

B+ grade.

Paddy Ryder - Ruck

Back Ups

Jack Bytel - Inside Mid

Ryan Byrnes - Inside Mid

Ed Phillips - Wing

Jack Bell - Ruck forward

Leo Connolly HB/Wing

Coffield. maybe.
Agree with you on Coffield.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 8:51pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 7:18pm Jack Billings must become a more contested player in 2020. He seemed more comfortable in 2019 with improved agression and defensive acts and seemed more comfortable to body players and really got some consistency in his tackling but he needs to maintain and improve this side of his game in 2020 to progress from the wing more onto the coal face.
Why? We've more than enough contested ball players, what we don't have is enough players who can dispose of the ball to our advantage. "Coal face" was never an issue, what came from there, haunts us.
Do we have enough A grade or elite contested ball players AND that can also dispose to our advantage? Billings can be that player.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 6:57pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020 8:51pm
Do we have enough A grade or elite contested ball players AND that can also dispose to our advantage? Billings can be that player.
Imho Billings doesn’t have the build / size for that role. And why take a Rolls Royce to a smash em
Up derby? Get him into space and let him create. Dal Mark II.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is Coffield the new Acres?

Because he is quite tall, and moves ok we WANT him to be a good player, so we convince ourselves he is better than he actually is?

I formed my view on Coffield from two places
The VFL where I’ve seen him struggle to impact some games and have shocking body language, sooking actually. I have seen him play well for periods and is clearly a confidence player... but does doubt himself and make mistakes or hesitates. Also if we’re hoping for a tough hb, he is not the guy. Not the most physical guy, very outside. Clark on the other hand is confident (almost arrogant) and dominates at VFL level, very tough contested ball winner.
The other is what I’ve heard about Coff
Not the hardest worker or most professional player going around.

If he does (hopefully) prove me wrong this season or beyond I’ll be very happy. We need that draft pick (8) to be a player, and he has good attributes.

But at this stage, there is no evidence of him being a gun, and there is some with Hunter.