8 reasons for saints fans to be excited

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

8 reasons for saints fans to be excited

Great article in the herald sun.

Sorry I can't reproduce it for you.
Last edited by saynta on Sat 04 Jan 2020 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: 8 reasons for saints fansto be excited

Could debutant be the new King of Moorabbin? https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 7df6194ad6

1 Ratten
2 King
3 Roberton
4 Hannebery
5 Hill
6 Other recruits
7 Marshall
8 Clark

They’re doing it for every club.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Eight reasons to be excited about St Kilda in 2020
He was touted as ‘one of the most special tall forwards in years’ before being drafted at pick four. After an injury interrupted first season, Max King is set to be unleashed in 2020. He’s just one reason for Saints fans to get excited.

Considering St Kilda currently hold the second longest premiership drought, their fans have every right to be restless.

But there is plenty to like about the Saints after a very proactive trade and free agency period.

The possible additions of a top-five selection and the 2018 Trevor Barker medal runner-up makes the Saints look even more formidable.

Can they break their 54 year premiership drought?

Here’s eight reasons why Saints supporters can get excited for season 2020.

Watch over 50 sports LIVE on Kayo! Stream to your TV, mobile, tablet or computer. Just $25/month, cancel anytime. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

1. FRESH APPROACH
Brett Ratten made an immediate impact when he took the reins as coach of St Kilda for the final six games last season. After winning just two of their previous 11 matches, the Saints scored three wins under Ratten’s leadership to finish the year on a more positive note. Ratten brought a new energy into the group and the players love him. Ratten has said over the off-season it’s now “time to raise expectations” for the Saints and there are “great opportunities in growth” for the side with a new style of play and team education. The former Carlton coach will not settle for finishing 14th on the ladder again.

Max King is set to make his long awaited debut in 2020. Picture: Michael Klein
2. THE NEW KING
An anterior cruciate ligament injury in 2018 meant highly-touted draftee Max King missed the start of last season. The No. 4 draft pick was eased back through the seconds and played five VFL games mid-season before an ankle injury wiped out the rest of his campaign after Round 13. But Saints fans are champing at the bit to finally see King at AFL level in 2020. In his last game of underage football in the NAB League in 2018, King logged 19 disposals and kicked 8.5. He was described leading into the 2018 national draft as “one of the most special tall forwards in years”. Now fit again, there are high hopes King can have a major impact in the Saints forward line next season, with a Round 1 debut the goal.

3. ROBERTON RETURN
Defender Dylan Roberton finished second to Seb Ross in St Kilda’s best and fairest in 2017 after a brilliant campaign in which he played every game and averaged 23.1 disposals, 5.6 rebound 50s and 6.7 intercept possessions. Since then, Roberton has played just four AFL games, having not lined up for the Saints since collapsing on the field in Round 4, 2018. Roberton has undergone extensive testing over a heart condition and has had a defibrillator installed in his chest to help safeguard him from experiencing an unusually high heart rate again. Roberton is now training strongly once again and is determined to return in Round 1, believing he is now on top of managing the condition.

St Kilda will be hoping they can get a full season out of Dan Hannebery.
4. DAN THE MAN
Recruit Dan Hannebery was all the buzz around Moorabbin this time last year. The former Sydney star and 2012 premiership player was going to add a new dimension and leadership to the Saints midfield. However, his first season at his new club could not have gone much worse. A series of hamstring setbacks after a very limited pre-season meant Hannebery was not fit to play a game until Round 11. He played two VFL matches then before playing two AFL games and then missing five weeks with a calf. However, the 28-year-old finished the year on a positive note, logging 28 disposals and seven clearances against Sydney in Round 23. St Kilda will be hoping Hannebery can keep himself fit and deliver more similar performances in 2020, which will go a long way to improving their midfield strength.

5. THE BIG RECRUIT
The Saints viewed Fremantle’s Brad Hill as “one of the game’s best outside midfielders” and couldn’t have been more thrilled to secure his services during the trade period. A three-time premiership player with Hawthorn and 2017 Fremantle best and fairest, Hill has pace to burn and sublime skills. He averaged 25.1 disposals, 4.3 inside 50s and six score involvements across 22 games for the Dockers last season and at 26 years old the Saints believe he still has plenty of good football ahead of him. His first game in St Kilda colours will also be a milestone – Hill’s 150th AFL game overall.

6. THE OTHER RECRUITS
The Saints were busy bees during the trade and free agency period, not only securing Hill but also five other experienced players. Former Port Adelaide defender Dougal Howard arrived with big wraps and is still just 23 years old with 45 games of AFL experience behind him. Former Sydney midfielder Zak Jones and will slot straight into the Saints on the opposite wing to Hill or off halfback to provide some run. A 2017 All-Australian, Paddy Ryder joined from Port Adelaide and will provide back-up to Rowan Mashall in the ruck along with having the ability to go forward. Former Geelong ruckman Ryan Abbott and 2017 Richmond premiership forward Dan Butler were also snapped up and will add good depth for the Saints.

7. MOUNTAIN MARSHALL
Ruckman Rowan Marshall was a revelation in the ruck for St Kilda last season. Having played just 13 AFL games entering 2019, the 201cm and 104kg man mountain played 20 games and finished second behind Seb Ross in the club’s best-and-fairest. Marshall was the No. 1 ranked player for the Saints last season, averaging 110 SuperCoach points. He enters 2020 as one of just two St Kilda players rated ‘elite’ by Champion Data, the other being fellow ruckman Paddy Ryder. Former St Kilda and Essendon champion Brendon Goddard believes Marshall could be what Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy is now “in two years’ time”, a very exciting prospect indeed.

8. HUNTER CLARK
Internally the Saints believe young star Hunter Clark is primed to explode with his game in 2020. Selected at pick seven in the 2017 national draft, Clark has played 29 AFL games across his first two seasons and showed significant improvement in the back half of last season. An elite decision maker and ball user, the 20-year-old has been primarily deployed off halfback but is eyeing more midfield minutes in 2020. After interrupted pre-season’s his first two years, Clark has not missed a beat thus far this summer has been one of the most impressive players on the track.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I’d be excited to just get everyone on the park at once 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Cautiously excited is how I would categorise Robbo and his chances, I doubt very much he will be selected round 1 as he's missed way too much footy and I suspect his medical condition will need to be monitored for a good block of footy at VFL level. We just have other options now who are capable of playing his role without the need to risk rushing him back in.

So time will tell if he can return at all but if he does manage to force his way back into the side and even gets back to his 2017 form then that will be a bonus of unthinkable magnitude.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 03 Jan 2020 12:03pm Cautiously excited is how I would categorise Robbo
I am not even counting on him until mid season, hope obviously hope I'm wrong.

Cautious me the word!

After our honourable away loss to lowly Adelaide, at the nadir of their horribulus we then lost to lot Catlton, who were also basking under the new coach false-dawn Halo, so a fair match, and then we get thumped by Sydney by 45 pts to finish the season. Cautious ad excited, yes.

Come on Saints!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Hunter2King
Club Player

I genuinely believe Brad Hill is underrated.

Sure he is rated highly by the media and public. I get that.

But he is actually a bit better than that.

This is a bloke who has already played 150 games and is only 26. He is resilient, consistent, a hard worker, reliable, smart and a beautiful kick.

He's not flashy. He doesnt try and take hangers or anything like that.

But overall he is better than you think. I think probably rated by coaches higher than by the public/media.

damienc
Club Player

Hunter2King wrote: Fri 03 Jan 2020 7:05pm I genuinely believe Brad Hill is underrated.

Sure he is rated highly by the media and public. I get that.

But he is actually a bit better than that.

This is a bloke who has already played 150 games and is only 26. He is resilient, consistent, a hard worker, reliable, smart and a beautiful kick.

He's not flashy. He doesnt try and take hangers or anything like that.

But overall he is better than you think. I think probably rated by coaches higher than by the public/media.
Not by me.

Getting him was a huge recruiting coup. He will be worth every cent we are paying him.

He will run all day and be a huge asset for the Saints, as long as he can avoid injury.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 03 Jan 2020 12:03pm Cautiously excited is how I would categorise Robbo and his chances, I doubt very much he will be selected round 1 as he's missed way too much footy and I suspect his medical condition will need to be monitored for a good block of footy at VFL level. We just have other options now who are capable of playing his role without the need to risk rushing him back in.

So time will tell if he can return at all but if he does manage to force his way back into the side and even gets back to his 2017 form then that will be a bonus of unthinkable magnitude.
I agree that it would be prudent for Roberton to play a handful of games in the VFL to ensure that his heart can withstand the pressures of the contest - I hope that for both his sake and the team's that he can resurrect his footy career.

The Herald Sun article is yet another positive report by the footy media that St Kilda is doing things right and is back in contention. I consider the appointment of Brett Ratten to be the most significant of all of the changes that have occurred because I am convinced that he has been most influential in the recruitment of the experienced players, a wishlist that will transform the team in 2020!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: 8 reasons for saints fans to be excited

How come Nexus Nick hasnt replied?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 3:37pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 03 Jan 2020 12:03pm Cautiously excited is how I would categorise Robbo and his chances, I doubt very much he will be selected round 1 as he's missed way too much footy and I suspect his medical condition will need to be monitored for a good block of footy at VFL level. We just have other options now who are capable of playing his role without the need to risk rushing him back in.

I agree that it would be prudent for Roberton to play a handful of games in the VFL to ensure that his heart can withstand the pressures of the contest - I hope that for both his sake and the team's that he can resurrect his footy career.

The Herald Sun article is yet another positive report by the footy media that St Kilda is doing things right and is back in contention. I consider the appointment of Brett Ratten to be the most significant of all of the changes that have occurred because I am convinced that he has been most influential in the recruitment of the experienced players, a wishlist that will transform the team in 2020!
The appointment of the people who appointed Ratten was far more significant and even more significant was the way those people transitioned Ratten into the club.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 8:30pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 06 Jan 2020 3:37pm

The appointment of the people who appointed Ratten was far more significant and even more significant was the way those people transitioned Ratten into the club.
We should also acknowledge the people who appointed the people who appointed the people who appointed Ratten.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ratten hasn’t achieved anything yet

So before lauding him, wait and see.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ratten wont have a honeymoon period either.

Expectation will be high, internally as much as externally.

The club historically doesn't manage expectation well but finals in 2020 really has to be the pass mark.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Jan 2020 1:04pm Ratten hasn’t achieved anything yet

wait and see? of course....but most already believe he will do better than <edited by mods> Cho.. i'm one of them. book mark it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 09 Jan 2020 4:24pm

wait and see? of course....but most already believe he will do better than the Cho.. i'm one of them. book mark it.
Would be pretty hard to have a worse record after 6 years

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

As a life long Saints supporter i have learnt not to have any expectations, that way i can again end up disappointed, or i can be up and about
as the Saints get on a winning streak.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I'm excited. First time in 6 years or so. But I think we can make finals in next 2 years.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

wait and see? of course....but most already believe he will do better than <edited by mods> Cho.. i'm one of them. book mark it.
I see you escaped a bullet there.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 10 Jan 2020 6:52am

I see you escaped a bullet there.
dobber