Jack Bytel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Jack Bytel

Not sure AFL coaches take punts but I take your point. Irrespective of when he debuts, I will be looking forward to it like I do with every debutant. It's an exciting time at a club and I get such a kick out of it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Exciting times ahead

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 6:32pm Not sure AFL coaches take punts but I take your point. Irrespective of when he debuts, I will be looking forward to it like I do with every debutant. It's an exciting time at a club and I get such a kick out of it.
Hmm. If they don't take punts then they ignore poor form and skill execution in lieu of experience, hard training, reputation and defunct game plans.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 7:16pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 6:32pm Not sure AFL coaches take punts but I take your point. Irrespective of when he debuts, I will be looking forward to it like I do with every debutant. It's an exciting time at a club and I get such a kick out of it.
Hmm. If they don't take punts then they ignore poor form and skill execution in lieu of experience, hard training, reputation and defunct game plans.
Ok B.M.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 8:08pm
Ok B.M.
Ha ha. Another believer in the Mav Weller defensive forward rhetoric. Or is it just a no go to challenge the coach and game plan.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 8:14pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 8:08pm
Ok B.M.
Ha ha. Another believer in the Mav Weller defensive forward rhetoric. Or is it just a no go to challenge the coach and game plan.
I knows me limits.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

CQ knows more than AFL coaches, surely?!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BM at least stick to the arguments on the table as opposed to reframing and misrepresenting the argument

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 4:38pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 4:18pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 4:00pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 3:55pm It takes a special footballer to impact early and demand a spot. I hope the coaches learnt from Marshall and Wilkies stoic seasons to have a little faith and the younger guys like Clark, Paton and Bytel understand the opportunity in front of them to break into an evolving midfield structure that should be vastly different to the last 3 years.
Marshall and Wilkie played senior footy before 2109.

Bytel has absolutely zero to nought's chances of being selected for round 1 and I'll be surprised if he gets a debut in the first half of the season. If he does it means the wheels have fallen off our season.
That doesn't change the fact that neither Marshall or Wilkie wouldnt have been starters round 1 in a full strength squad. When your team is struggling with injury and performance, good players will emerge, despite the tendancy to harbour reliability and consistency. The secret is once you establish a better level of skill within your squad you have to reset the bar and occasionally let talent preceed experience.
Yup. But Bytel is joining a sqaud that is now finals capable and with that comes a want for a coach to get stability and cohesion by settling down the best 22. Like I say, Bytel will stuggle to get a game in 2020 but if he does get a regular gig it probably means the wheels have fallen off.
Yep, first year players have never debuted in round 1 AND in a Premiership season.

”Selwood made his debut in the opening round of the 2007 AFL Season and missed only four games during the regular season”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Selwood

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg- ... ?year=2007

No way, no how!

Impossible!

It’s just unheard of!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

those players didn't miss two years of junior footy with a serious injury before being drafted? When was the last time Bytel played footy, was he 15 or 16? and how many games has he played against men?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s so weird to me that the concept of a player debuting has riled people up...
Fancy picking a player that is training well and internally rated. Boy Marshall would never have played if some ppl were in charge around here.

And great to see that we’re apparently suddenly a lock to play finals now and have so many great players that it’s impossible to squeeze anyone out that’s a lock in the 22... my how things change

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Who's riled up?

And who is claiming we are a lock for finals?

You can see how Chinese whispers get started and supercharged on the internet can't you.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 11 Jan 2020 10:29am Because apparently Jack Bytel is already better than Seb Ross
His name is Jimmy Bytel not Jack!!!

Jimmy will be our next Tom Walsh - who was our next Aaron Hammil remember??

(nah, just having a lend here!!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
goods
Club Player

if you have the natural X factor not just building your ability on work rate and repetition memory but have somthing innate' X factor! You can co me back from time off look at Diaz or Conor McGregor for example. I saw little difference between him and Sam Walsh when Vic metro played Vic country

barneyboyz
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 09 Jan 2020 12:40am
skeptic wrote: Wed 08 Jan 2020 1:48pm I don’t know BFUSA,

Kind of feel like what ur saying is kind of a perpetuation of a bizarre way of thinking that has crept into the game over the last decade or so which is to describe intangibles, use stats (speaking more broadly on that point) to justify a view that is just not evident.

I’ve heard this type of argument so many times in the last decade

Billy Longer... limited disposals, no tackles or mark, no obvious influence but he blocks and creates space and protects midfielders

Mav Weller... stopped kicking goals or getting kicks... but chased, pressured and harassed

Eddy and McQualter... they guarded space

Football is a game and it’s really not that hard... at the end of the day the majority of fans should be able to sit down, watch it and have a reasonable idea and consensus on who played well and who didn’t

You don’t need an abundance of stats or analysis to see that

I think when you’re introducing arguments like he does his role or his effectiveness isn’t measured in stats or direct impact...
Personally I think it’s a foolish way of thinking.

I like Dunstan and have generally been a supporter... but the reality is that unless he’s a tagger which he isn’t, you cannot have a midfielder that doesn’t either win enough ball or be especially damaging when he does get it.

Fact is that unless he improves dramatically... we need someone to force him out
skeptic

what I am saying is a little different.

At centre bounces, ball ups and throw ins, each player has a role.

At centre bouncer their is a ruckman + blocker or tagger + tap target + sweeper / release target.

Luke plays blocker.

In a clean tap play - he wouldn't be involved with a possession - our tap would go straight to the tap taget and dished off to the sweeper.

That limits the easy ball he gets.

Impacts on his possession count.

His possessions are mostly earned the hard way.
This has been excaserbated in the past by our lack of good 'tap' ruckman, which ironically means that Luke finds himself closer to the footy regularly i.e. the oppo ruckman getting first hands. I reckon the one person on our list who will be demanding that he plays along side Ryder (for every moment that Paddy is in the ruck) will be Seb Ross. Seb absolutely needs a good ruckman to work with, and if Paddy has a great year no one will catch Seb in the B&F.

Ok that's a little critical of Seb (actually) as he doesn't read the ball from hands that well, but if all goes well he should be the biggest beneficiary of having Paddy Ryder at the club. If this happens I'll be very very happy for Seb

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: