The Elephant In The Room

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: The Elephant In The Room

saynta wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 1:35pm
damienc wrote: Mon 02 Mar 2020 11:40pm
saynta wrote: Mon 02 Mar 2020 7:22pm Paddy will be on someone's list in 2021. You can bet on it.
This is an incredibly irresponsible comment for you to make.

You should be ashamed for making it.

Clearly, you have not been following the world wide discussion about the effects of concussion on elite athletes.

You clearly read nothing of the latest revelations about Polly Farmer.

Paddy should never play again, Will never play again. He would risking his life to play footy again.

Saying he will be on anyone's list in 2021, let alone St Kilda's is dumb. Really dumb.
Time will tell if I'm right or if your extremely f****** offensive post has any merit. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I apologise if you were offended.

So, I apologise for the words but not the sentiment behind them.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 8:42pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 8:09pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 5:37pm The challenge with McCartin is that in addition to some fairly significant injury concerns... he hasn’t exactly showed the form.

After several years:
- marking was getting worse
- kicking was getting worse
- fitness didn’t seem to improve

He’s not like a super promising youngster that stalled with a wayward attitude.
It’s hard to see why someone would take a punt.

Honest question... if he was a pick 70 on what’s he’s produced so far, would anybody be having this discussion?
For arguments sake, Dougal Howard who went at pick 57 in Paddy's draft and has about the same number of games, arguably shown about the same promise, who would you pick if hypothetically Paddy doesn't have concussion, Paddy or Dougal?
Shown about the same promise?!

Is that meant to be hypothetical?
Yeah agree, shown about the same promise, although Dougal took a very long time to get his debut and was available for selection a lot more than Paddy. So yeah as a hypothetical, who would you have recruited at this years trade table if it was a choice between Paddy and Dougal and Paddy doesn't have concussion or diabetes.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 8:48pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 5:37pm The challenge with McCartin is that in addition to some fairly significant injury concerns... he hasn’t exactly showed the form.

After several years:

Honest question... if he was a pick 70 on what’s he’s produced so far, would anybody be having this discussion?
For arguments sake, Dougal Howard who went at pick 57 in Paddy's draft and has about the same number of games, arguably shown about the same promise, who would you pick if hypothetically Paddy doesn't have concussion, Paddy or Dougal?

Yeah agree, shown about the same promise, although Dougal took a very long time to get his debut and was available for selection a lot more than Paddy. So yeah as a hypothetical, who would you have recruited at this years trade table if it was a choice between Paddy and Dougal and Paddy doesn't have concussion or diabetes.
I’d be interested in seeing what other ppl think... for me, on exposed form it’s Dougal and rather easily

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

After several years:
Because concussion has effects.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 9:01pm

After several years:

I’d be interested in seeing what other ppl think... for me, on exposed form it’s Dougal and rather easily
Here's some insight into exposed form between the two:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A

Secret Kiel
Club Player

And in the context of the hypothetical, would you offer Paddy or Dougal a $3 million and 5 year deal?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Although it means little now - I would have loved to have seen McCartin under a good coach.

From afar, there were some glaring issues with his game that in my opinion were fixable.

- For a start, instructing a 19yo to 'crash the pack' when the only legal way to that these days is more dangerous to yourself than anyone else is just idiotic.

And if you are that stupid - at least teach him a technique that involves protecting yourself.

- They ruined his natural marking technique.

- He arrived at the drop of the ball too early when on the lead. It allowed the closing defender a clean jump at the spoil. He could have been taught to correct this.

- And then there was the ridiculous role he was playing. Lead to the flank - ball goes out of bounds - turn around and run back to the square - repeat.

That's the sort of s*** you get an untalented work horse to do - not the best junior footballer in the country.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Tue 03 Mar 2020 9:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 9:08pm

After several years:
Because concussion has effects.
No doubt...
Hence he remains a highly risky proposition

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 9:13pm

After several years:

Not trying to be disrespectful but am really not grasping your point.

Howard has better stats...
More goals despite his time in defence

Add to the fact that the stats don’t accurately demonstrate how well they were playing which had Dougal in the Captain conversation and a player Port didn’t want to lose... and McCartin as highly maligned

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Just think what the thoroughbred industry would think about this sterile second guessing exercise. Of course drafting is uncertain and occasionally a long term dud plays well - and luck dictates outcomes as much as skilled assessment. Our recruitment chaps seems to be doing ok for 2020 and I support them.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 10:03pm

After several years:

Add to the fact that the stats don’t accurately demonstrate how well they were playing which had Dougal in the Captain conversation and a player Port didn’t want to lose... and McCartin as highly maligned
You make it clear that you are a stats-denier and prefer to make judgment based on your recently mentioned two-eyes test but it would appear your eyes have missed a few of Paddy's goals as the official records clearly have Paddy as the much greater goal scorer.

You say you have Dougal clearly ahead of Paddy on "exposed form", I take it you've watched most of Dougal's 45 matches to make such an emphatic judgement?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 6:57am

After several years:

You make it clear that you are a stats-denier and prefer to make judgment based on your recently mentioned two-eyes test but it would appear your eyes have missed a few of Paddy's goals as the official records clearly have Paddy as the much greater goal scorer.

You say you have Dougal clearly ahead of Paddy on "exposed form", I take it you've watched most of Dougal's 45 matches to make such an emphatic judgement?
Well you know what they say... stats lie and people that use stats are liars. Forgive me if I misread the goals one... only glanced at them because I didn’t see the point.
It’s a very warped view IMO when you need numbers to demonstrate a point for you and it’s usually to confuse the issue. It’s AFL... not rocket science hence it’s really not the hard to look at performance and judge it. Think it’s much better to watch games and form an opinion as opposed to look at the % inside 50s or some garbage

I think very few ppl would Paddy ahead of Dougal on exposed form injury concerns not withstanding

It’s a very weird scenario because you’re basically asking me to disregard arguably the main factor that has hampered Paddy’s development. This discussion wasn’t about who was the better prospect but about whether Paddy would be redrafted. My opinion is that I’d consider him an extremely risky prospect

Obviously you would redraft him in a heartbeat and that’s fair enough but you’re rating him on potential rather than what he’s produced
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 04 Mar 2020 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 8:47pm
saynta wrote: Tue 03 Mar 2020 1:35pm
damienc wrote: Mon 02 Mar 2020 11:40pm
saynta wrote: Mon 02 Mar 2020 7:22pm Paddy will be on someone's list in 2021. You can bet on it.
This is an incredibly irresponsible comment for you to make.

You should be ashamed for making it.

Clearly, you have not been following the world wide discussion about the effects of concussion on elite athletes.

You clearly read nothing of the latest revelations about Polly Farmer.

Paddy should never play again, Will never play again. He would risking his life to play footy again.

Saying he will be on anyone's list in 2021, let alone St Kilda's is dumb. Really dumb.
Time will tell if I'm right or if your extremely f****** offensive post has any merit. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I apologise if you were offended.

So, I apologise for the words but not the sentiment behind them.
No worries mate.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 10:17am
Well you know what they say... stats lie and people that use stats are liars. Forgive me if I misread the goals one... only glanced at them because I didn’t see the point.
It’s a very warped view IMO when you need numbers to demonstrate a point for you and it’s usually to confuse the issue. It’s AFL... not rocket science hence it’s really not the hard to look at performance and judge it. Think it’s much better to watch games and form an opinion as opposed to look at the % inside 50s or some garbage

I think very few ppl would Paddy ahead of Dougal on exposed form injury concerns not withstanding

It’s a very weird scenario because you’re basically asking me to disregard arguably the main factor that has hampered Paddy’s development. This discussion wasn’t about who was the better prospect but about whether Paddy would be redrafted. My opinion is that I’d consider him an extremely risky prospect

Obviously you would redraft him in a heartbeat and that’s fair enough but you’re rating him on potential rather than what he’s produced

I was just countering your wierd scenario/hypothetical, "if he was pick 70 on what he’s produced so far, would anybody be having this discussion?". However with my hypothetical you can use the facts of history and statistics as a baseline for reality. Meaning two players entered the same draft and were 56 picks appart. Both of them have had a very long time to produce an underwhelming number of games and value and both are still trading on potential. One of Dougal's assistant coaches even went on the public record to say Dougal had not grabbed his opportunity while at Port. So there is conflicting views coming out of Adelaide on Dougal.

Without question concusion has been Paddy's reason for delivering under 50 games over 5 seasons, Dougal has had his injuries too but it's unclear to many in the industry outside of Adealaide why he also only has under 50 games over 5 seasons.

Yet there are some who refuse to acknowledge Paddy's form and value was impacted by his concussion injury but rather it was either a stuff up for picking him ahead of others in the first place or because of the way he was coached and/or various other really strange opinions.

But here we have a guy who has been very underwhelming over the same amount of time in the game as Paddy, was picked 56 spots below Paddy, so potential for Dougal was assessed much lower than Paddy, and virtually zero supporters have even seen Dougal kick a ball in anger, yet we are so willing to accept he is worth a 5 year and $3 million contract. Fascinating.

If Paddy didn't have a concussion injury would we be having this discussion. And would we be offering Paddy a 5 year $3 million contract or would we give it too a bloke we haven't seen play yet and who has struggled to hobble 50 games over 5 years.

Sombersainter
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sat 29 Feb 2020 8:41pm Mc Cartin was the correct call

Hopefully he is on our List in 2021 and showing his undoubted abilities

The List demographics currently are that Ryder is the age he is so the future is Marshall rucking and a need for a key forward to support Membrey and King

What has concerned me more than the Melbourne player is that we have let a far better player than him slip thru our fingers and go to Fremantle

Acres is a potent footballer and exceptionally gifted

I don't agree with either assertion. At the time we heard that midfielders are a dime a dozen. Maybe so, but not elite midfielders. Paddy was unlucky with injury but he had Diabetes
and it could be argued that he is too short to be an elite forward in the modern game, let alone, overweight, slow and unfit.
While Blake has potential, he shows it on too few occasions and is very prone to kick downfield to no particular advantage and to disappear for long periods. Some players are smart
footballers, I won't go so far as to say that he is dumb, but I'd go closer to the later than the earlier.

Winmar7
Club Player

sweet jesus, haven't we exhausted this topic yet???!!!

McCartin was the right call at the time. Of course in hindsight we're all experts, and anybody would have chosen any number of players over McCartin.

It's a real shame what happened, but nobody could have known at the time.

Let it rest.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 1:17pm

I was just countering your wierd scenario/hypothetical, "if he was pick 70 on what he’s produced so far, would anybody be having this discussion?". However with my hypothetical you can use the facts of history and statistics as a baseline for reality. Meaning two players entered the same draft and were 56 picks appart. Both of them have had a very long time to produce an underwhelming number of games and value and both are still trading on potential. One of Dougal's assistant coaches even went on the public record to say Dougal had not grabbed his opportunity while at Port. So there is conflicting views coming out of Adelaide on Dougal.

Without question concusion has been Paddy's reason for delivering under 50 games over 5 seasons, Dougal has had his injuries too but it's unclear to many in the industry outside of Adealaide why he also only has under 50 games over 5 seasons.

Yet there are some who refuse to acknowledge Paddy's form and value was impacted by his concussion injury but rather it was either a stuff up for picking him ahead of others in the first place or because of the way he was coached and/or various other really strange opinions.

But here we have a guy who has been very underwhelming over the same amount of time in the game as Paddy, was picked 56 spots below Paddy, so potential for Dougal was assessed much lower than Paddy, and virtually zero supporters have even seen Dougal kick a ball in anger, yet we are so willing to accept he is worth a 5 year and $3 million contract. Fascinating.

If Paddy didn't have a concussion injury would we be having this discussion. And would we be offering Paddy a 5 year $3 million contract or would we give it too a bloke we haven't seen play yet and who has struggled to hobble 50 games over 5 years.
FWIW, I was a big supporter of Paddy and agree he showed a bit until the injury woes really picked up

Up to about 2018 I was reasonably confident he’d make it If he’d get a decent run at it...
2018 though just showed that’s he’s finished. Went markedly backwards onfield and more susceptible to injury seemingly

Quite literary the only upside of redrafting him is that he would be cheap but even in that scenario he’s been risk prone without a good base of form to work off
The flip side with Dougal is that yes, he does have some perceived value right or wrong

My point with the pick70 comment was that his profile as pick 1 has garnered him a higher profile then he may have otherwise gotten... that makes for a good story but it’s not a reason to offer him a lifeline IMO

Also think it would have been interesting to see him under a different coach...
He had some bad technique issues that weren’t corrected and the approach to play him as a pack monster pbly wasn’t the correct one

Secret Kiel
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 2:41pm

FWIW, I was a big supporter of Paddy and agree he showed a bit until the injury woes really picked up

Up to about 2018 I was reasonably confident he’d make it If he’d get a decent run at it...
2018 though just showed that’s he’s finished. Went markedly backwards onfield and more susceptible to injury seemingly

Quite literary the only upside of redrafting him is that he would be cheap but even in that scenario he’s been risk prone without a good base of form to work off
The flip side with Dougal is that yes, he does have some perceived value right or wrong

My point with the pick70 comment was that his profile as pick 1 has garnered him a higher profile then he may have otherwise gotten... that makes for a good story but it’s not a reason to offer him a lifeline IMO

He had some bad technique issues that weren’t corrected and the approach to play him as a pack monster pbly wasn’t the correct one
It's still possible we may see Paddy get another crack under a different coach, unlikely but the flame hasn't gone out yet.

I'm curious to know what others think, Dougal Howard, is on a 5 year and $ 3 million deal, is this the real elephant in the room. I'm wrapped that we picked him up but we can't afford for him to be playing at Sandy.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 5:00pm

It's still possible we may see Paddy get another crack under a different coach, unlikely but the flame hasn't gone out yet.

I'm curious to know what others think, Dougal Howard, is on a 5 year and $ 3 million deal, is this the real elephant in the room. I'm wrapped that we picked him up but we can't afford for him to be playing at Sandy.
Howard will not play at Sandy.

Max will debut round one.

The real elephant in the room is the contracts paid to Hannebery and Kent.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 5:57pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 5:00pm

Howard will not play at Sandy.

Max will debut round one.

The real elephant in the room is the contracts paid to Hannebery and Kent.
Ironically Kent is the only player of that lot you mention that has earnt any of his pay packet to this point.

What makes you so certain of Howard's future, have you seen him play?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Is the elephant in the room also wrapped? Maybe that's why we can't see him!

Harves Man
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 04 Mar 2020 6:57am

After several years:

It’s a very warped view IMO when you need numbers to demonstrate a point for you and it’s usually to confuse the issue.
Yes, agree wholeheartedly. Still, I'm sure it wasn't done just to provoke an argument. That would be childish.

Harves Man
Club Player

However with my hypothetical you can use the facts of history and statistics as a baseline for reality.
Gee that's funny! Utterly ludicrous and in equal parts pompous. But funny. :lol:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Harves Man wrote: Thu 05 Mar 2020 3:39am

However with my hypothetical you can use the facts of history and statistics as a baseline for reality.
Gee that's funny! Utterly ludicrous and in equal parts pompous. But funny. :lol:
Good point, well argued.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

:!: