Saints v Roos Game Day Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Saints v Roos Game Day Thread

desertsaint wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 6:24pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 5:53pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 5:46pm Reports now coming through that there were players against playing.
Wasn’t it something like 88% who voted to play last week? I would assume that means 12% didn’t want to.
could explain some of our non selections?
If you’re referring to Carlisle - no - he’s been dealing with a family crisis and for good measure ... had back spasms at training during the week.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 5:46pm Reports now coming through that there were players against playing.
I'm shocked!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Correct the team made a decision at the 6 min mark of the 3rd quarter

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 8:39pm
I'm shocked!
Yes and can you believe the corrupt twit that runs the NRL and racing industry in NSW is still selling the idea he is providing an essential service to the people.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 5:53pm
Wasn’t it something like 88% who voted to play last week? I would assume that means 12% didn’t want to.
Brilliant.

👍

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
To the top
SS Life Member

The WA Premier in a wide ranging address this afternoon said WA were closing their border

So AFL was compromised from the time of that announcement

It would be interesting to get hold of the Financial Statements of the AFL, to see if it is a pack of cards

Kilda
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 12:52pm We’ll learn a lot about us in the next 2 hours
And what did we learn? That St Kilda remains St Kilda?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 11:23pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 12:52pm We’ll learn a lot about us in the next 2 hours
And what did we learn? That St Kilda remains St Kilda?
If Ratten is the guy, my hope is that the take home messages registered with him.

There was a lot to like in that first half both in our skills, endeavour and style but we ran out legs in the second whilst carrying 3 ineffective small forwards and lacked experience, leadership, composure and strength in the backline.

I take Barry’s point RE the defence holding up but I also think that the North talks looked imposing all day even when we had the run and our lack of a marking back hurt us.
Battle should have played if Carlisle wasn’t ready.

The question that remains for me is will Ratten adapt or will he follow the path of predecessor and stick to his guns no matter what

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Where were the leaders to slow the game down from mid way through the 3rd quarter when we were getting absolutely demolished through the middle?

Zac Jones kicking... worked heavily against us and he took a main lead through the middle the whole game... Rats couldn't get Seb Ross through there at all?

Really disappointing performance here - let's be honest... North had 1 on the bench for a whole half.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:36pm The WA Premier in a wide ranging address this afternoon said WA were closing their border

It would be interesting to get hold of the Financial Statements of the AFL, to see if it is a pack of cards
Compromised before round 1 started. Well before WA shut its border, well before the bronze Aussie stormed Bondi Beach, well before we were fed the line the players were doing it "for the fans".

In the coming days the decision to play will look even more wreckless and dangerous than it did just before ball up to start the Tiges and Blues game.

This is going to be the first really horrible week as our economy completely crashes and many Australians en mass are told they don't have a job. Hopefully at the back end of this, losing jobs is considered a good outcome...as crazy as that sounds.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I still can't get my head around our setup at stoppages and centre bounces. For almost the entire game we left not one, but two North Melbourne players free on the defensive side of the stoppage. North dominated the hitouts and used the loose men every single time. They didn't even have to look, they knew they were there. Hence we were murdered in the clearances, particularly in the second half. With 7 minutes to go we went man on man at the stoppages, and bingo! We won a few clearances, hit the front again, and then created a chance to win the match. How is it, that something that was so obvious from early in the second quarter was ignored by the coaching staff until it was too late? Those on the field and in the box were asleep at the wheel yesterday. Pathetic.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

So, Rotten's honeymoon lasted 2 quarters. Makes Timmy's 9 weeks look pretty special!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:31am So, Rotten's honeymoon lasted 2 quarters. Makes Timmy's 9 weeks look pretty special!
Far be it from me to write him off but as with any high risk approach, one lives and dies by the results.

Numerous forumites expressed concerns from the time the team was announced and to varying degrees per opinion they came into fruition

asiu
Saintsational Legend

thats a muriel moment in the history of SS

lol at Rotten and Tims glorious history

good work

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm wondering if the players found out during the game that the AFL were about to cancel or postpone the season.

Sure, Battle should've played ahead of Kent, but that had nothing to do with the loss, no excuse, we had them on toast up until midway through the third. The game should have been over by then.

North upped their intensity, which was to be expected and we didn't seem to have the energy to respond.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:20am I still can't get my head around our setup at stoppages and centre bounces. For almost the entire game we left not one, but two North Melbourne players free on the defensive side of the stoppage. North dominated the hitouts and used the loose men every single time. They didn't even have to look, they knew they were there. Hence we were murdered in the clearances, particularly in the second half. With 7 minutes to go we went man on man at the stoppages, and bingo! We won a few clearances, hit the front again, and then created a chance to win the match. How is it, that something that was so obvious from early in the second quarter was ignored by the coaching staff until it was too late? Those on the field and in the box were asleep at the wheel yesterday. Pathetic.
Because we have absolutely no on ground leadership in the middle. Everyone who thinks Ross should be the next Captain needs to remember this. Utterly useless as a midfielder ... totally bereft as a leader.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

was there a post match by Ratt's ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:29pm was there a post match by Ratt's ?
Yes, I watched it on afl.com

He was a bit pissed off.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 3:46pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:29pm was there a post match by Ratt's ?
Yes, I watched it on afl.com

He was a bit pissed off.
yeah tx I found it. well he's not as pissed off as I am ;)

Schillaci
Club Player

Exciting first half. North weren’t in the contest. We were controlling the play. Signs looked great and a big win was on the cards.
Let North in through not taking chances, they kicked a goal against the play, then two... got a whiff and we caved in a disgusting heap.
To lose that when they had 2 less fit men on the bench was truly terrible.
Another year of footy pain coming up ... no footy pain or Saints pain if we play again in 2020.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:31am So, Rotten's honeymoon lasted 2 quarters. Makes Timmy's 9 weeks look pretty special!
Gold :lol:

Just when we thought that "The Cho"and his nickname had departed and could not be challenged, a new contender emerges. Win / Loss ratio will have a lot to do with how quickly this catches on or dies out.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
ace
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:36pm The WA Premier in a wide ranging address this afternoon said WA were closing their border

Warren Buffett says you only know who has been swimming naked when the tide goes out.
Now we will see if the AFL and which clubs have been swimming naked.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.