WDYT? Saints got wiff of the impending news at half time?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WDYT? Saints got wiff of the impending news at half time?

How else did we got to pot after half time?
Perhaps word got around the rooms of the four o clock announcement..

That explains our sudden lack of fitness?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Kilda
Club Player

Re: WDYT? Saints got wiff of the impending news at half time?

Don’t subscribe to this given that the Saints continued their dominance of play from the outset of the second half.
As we’ve all come to learn, if you fail to take advantage of that dominance, you risk the opposition eventually capitalising. We had ample opportunities to extend our lead in the third quarter but failed to convert. We left the door ajar for Norf.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Just some observations.
We looked like St Kilda,
We played like St kilda,
Our goalkicking was just like St Kilda,
We lost, as usual, which is typical St Kilda.
After all the changes made at the club after the 2019 season, nothing has really changed.

If we don't play again this year, there's always next year.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Kilda
Club Player

Yes, Judson, you may be on to something there: the club of exasperation.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Kilda wrote: Sun 22 Mar 2020 11:03pm Don’t subscribe......Saints continued their dominance of play from the outset of the second half.
Fair enough then.
We were plain old beaten again and no excuses. Damn.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Maybe tony74 can clarify this as I reckon it’s partially right.

I certainly didn’t care much in the second half once I knew how farcical the already farcical situation was.

Fact is round 1 should’ve never started in the first place.

Hill had only 12 possessions. Most of them were gold but you can’t tell me he was mentally switched on.

Gears likewise didn’t want to be there.

The best thing that came out of yesterday was looking at that smug prick Gilligan with his tail between his legs. We just needed Rexy to start singing “It’s over!” As the Fat Lsdy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If they found out at half time, it may very well have had a psychological impact. Sure they started the third well, but when the challenge came, they just had nothing and stopped.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I think it's pretty simple and not related to the announcement at all - that would be a cop out. We started like superstars in the 3rd quarter (the same as we finished the 2nd) and yet squandered 5 very good chances to kick a goal which would've likely iced it. North got a goal against the run of play and from there - we got put to the sword by Cunnington. Jack Steele was horrific after half time. Abominable.

From there - they just kept shunting it forward. It was clear that the oppo did everything to stop our running ball users ( Hill and Billings had 7 between them after half time) and Gresham was off. Also - they were very happy to have Dunstan and Ross with it (unsurprisingly as they both make b grade ammos decisions and kick it like C grade ammos).

Lonie, Kent and Butler in the same side just won't work. Kent is great up the ground but wastes his work; Lonie is simply too small and lightweight unless everything goes his way, I like Butler a lot - happy to play him all year.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Kilda
Club Player

Spot on re Ross and Dunstan... their decision making and disposal by foot is not up to AFL standard.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

They got a wiff of something...maybe some Hoochy Cooch ?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 2:30pm They got a wiff of something...maybe some Hoochy Cooch ?
That's what they actually played like for the last quarter and a half. Very chilled and nonchalant, as North threw the kitchen sink at us.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

No whiff, I can assure you. Just a pathetic half. But please whatever you think of our club and coaches please be assured we have a quality person as head coach. Watch the speech to the players today. I think it’s on line now. Stay well everyone

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 7:19pm No whiff, I can assure you. Just a pathetic half. But please whatever you think of our club and coaches please be assured we have a quality person as head coach. Watch the speech to the players today. I think it’s on line now. Stay well everyone
Well Tony, no arguments there. That pathetic half is something they are going to have to live with for a long time, because there aren't going to be games for a while. The players and coaches are going to have to live with it as there will be no redemption next week, or the next, or the next, or the ...

I have said this a few times, but for many of us our take on the game yesterday was same sh1t different year. Annoyingly boring as one of our famous ex-coaches famously opined.

I knew North would beat us when I saw the side that was picked. I am on record of saying so in this forum and even picked the match winner. We went in too small, too one-dimensional and not enough mongrel to trouble North. As it has been since 2012. No changes there. And our coaches aren't at good clubs like Hawthorn or Carlton of the 90s anymore - they are at St Kilda, and the things that worked for them with good sides won't work with us. They should have realised that after the Sydney debacle in the final round of last year. That entire match was a real St Kilda special too. Very predictable.

Back to basics - kick straight in front of goal, want it more than your opponent, punch the ball at all times in the backline, and no handball in front of goal. And play skilled players at the expense of role-players.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Maybe the silver lining is that we won't be hyped anymore. Now it's on, get down and dirty time.

stkfc1
Club Player

Kilda wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:46pm Spot on re Ross and Dunstan... their decision making and disposal by foot is not up to AFL standard.
Realistically we need to replace one of these two, with a class mid, if we want to get better. Maybe we need Clark in mid more and Coff in the back.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 7:19pm No whiff, I can assure you. Just a pathetic half. But please whatever you think of our club and coaches please be assured we have a quality person as head coach. Watch the speech to the players today. I think it’s on line now. Stay well everyone
Impressive, but when we do get through to the other side hope they can remember what they dished up in their last game, that includes the coach.

Having said that.... I agree , even without actually knowing the bloke I believe he is a quality individual.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:30pm
Impressive, but when we do get through to the other side hope they can remember what they dished up in their last game, that includes the coach.

Having said that.... I agree , even without actually knowing the bloke I believe he is a quality individual.
Round 1 is irrelevant in the scheme of things. It’s now all about survival

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:38pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 23 Mar 2020 9:30pm

Round 1 is irrelevant in the scheme of things. It’s now all about survival