Rendell’s rant

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Rendell’s rant

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 8:10am
He took a team on the decline to two GF ....
I think that's a bit of a fabrication.

He 'took a team on the decline' from 6th to 9th.

We hired a fitness dude that addressed our injury issues, he taught them a new game style, added new players, got rid of others, got 2 pre-seasons and a further 50 games experience under the belts of our core young players - and then took that new team to two GFs.

To say he took a team on the decline to two GFs is somewhere between misleading and basically not true at all.

Not detracting from what Lyon did. Just clarifying that statement of yours.

Legendary
Club Player

GT flew Lyon down from Sydney to his house in October 2005 and basically offered him a blank cheque to join the Saints as senior assistant.

Things might have looked very different in 2006 with Lyon in charge of gameplan - instead of getting smashed every time we played a side coached by a good tactician.

Ancient history now.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 10:22am

We hired a fitness dude that addressed our injury issues, he taught them a new game style, added new players, got rid of others, got 2 pre-seasons and a further 50 games experience under the belts of our core young players - and then took that new team to two GFs.

To say he took a team on the decline to two GFs is somewhere between misleading and basically not true at all.

Sorry Barry, you cannot rewrite history to suit your agenda!
The facts are the facts! The saints were in decline at the end of 2006.

- 2004 - finished 3rd prelim
- 2005 - finished 4th prelim
- 2006 - finished 6th prelim

The team you stated had a huge chunk of its key players 21 and under (2004) and went within a bees dick of a GF should have been flying in 2006 given that "chunk of key players"had another 40-60 games under their belt by the end of 2006.

Where was the improvement?
The team went from 3rd in 2004 to 6th in 2006 eliminated in the first round of the finals by Melbourne.

look at the results its very clear, the saints were in decline.
BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 13 Apr 2020 1:11pm
It was a team with a huge chunk of its key players being 21 and under.

Our guys in the middle bracket were generally battlers or GoPs.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

In summary ...
As Rendell pointed out, GT had one area to fix ... conditioning.
GT didn't get this area right --- and I think we can all acknowledge that RL did, to his credit - he sorted out our persistent soft-tissue injuries as soon as he started.

However, RL made some doozies of his own - he definitely left us in a worse state than when he arrived.

Hence, why we took our time re-signing him - there was no hurry to.

Both coaches had to go, IMHO - I'd call it a nil-all draw.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:16am As Rendell pointed out, GT had one area to fix ... conditioning.
GT didn't get this area right --- RL did, to his credit - he sorted out our persistent soft-tissue injuries.

However, RL made some doozies, and left a sinking ship he torpedoed - and us in a worse state than when he arrived.
Fair points, but I'd argue the decline in 2011 came after two demoralizing GF loses where the team had invested everything at a GF win and they were cooked, Ross style was taxing and IMO he'd got every bit they had to offer and it was done. He spent all his chips on a GF win and came up short.

The decline in 06 was a disaster, the 04 team was younger and exciting and should have been flying in 06 when they had matured and the age and games played profile had them primed but we were shot in my opinion due to GTs mismanagement. Luke Ball was a perfect example, a young guy who was constantly played with debilitating OP to the point it reduced his pace and explosiveness from a guy who could run and spread to purely inside mid and nothing more.

GT had one thing to fix - conditioning???
He had 5 & 1/2 seasons to fix it but never did.
We were worse in 06 injury wise, but pig headed GT did nothing about it.

The team was in decline on 06 though IMO GTs mismanagement, I'd be interested to understand how the GT fans on this site see our 06 season and where the team sat at the end of 06. Top me they were physically broken and had lost belief.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 16 Apr 2020 11:42pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 15 Apr 2020 2:56pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Apr 2020 1:59pm How would you have gone in a debating team where you get judged on relevance and strength of content...I’ll tell you how

You would earn zero!!

Did the Hawks just play off in the 2017 and 2018 Grand Finals?

Find a quote from any coach in the history of AFL or VFL who has doubted his team ONLY 6 months after being a GF challenger. Lyon contemplated whether they had the resilience or the skills to challenge again and he wasn’t just trying to motivate his chargers.

He was serious when he said it was the ‘end of an era’. He truly believed the team needed to rebuild because he questioned if the squad could do it and whether they were mentally tough enough. So not only was there an element of looking back in the rear view mirror and reliving how close we got, but there was this uneasy defeatist attitude which I thought was insulting for a team whose captain and most of our best players were 26/27/ or 28.

He branded them after the Elimination Final. Half the footy world believed his bulldust. I think that some of the players believed his bulldust....after all...the mantra at St Kilda was: In Lyon We Trust...wasn’t it?
No, the Hawks had just played 7 finals series over the last 8 years, including FOUR Grand finals. Not relevant?

Hypothetical - I know it will make you shudder, but what if at the end 2010/early 2011 the club had stopped dilly dallying about Ross's contract when he was asking, and offered him a decent contract based on performance since 2007, confirmed that mini rebuild was desirable, and he stayed. What would have happened in lieu of the Watters/Richo eras? I'm betting much more success. Still had some pretty good players playing then.

Would you have preferred more of Ross, who had full support of the players, or Watters/Richo?
Clarko had every right to call the Hawks mediocre in 2019. It was 3 and a half years after their last GF appearance and they definitely had an aging list. Again...your debating skills need a bit of work

With regard to that last q of yours: Can you imagine another year of recycled rejects at St.Kilda? How can anyone think that with Tosser remaining that things would have been different...We were bundled out of an elimination final in 2011 remember. With all the uncertainty and changes we were basically same result in 2012....And then there was trouble ahead with our salary cap and the fact that under Ross we mortgaged the immediate future on a handfull of players.

The following will make you shudder...

Do you know why Ross made the statements in April 2011 about rebuilding? Because that's how he convinced himself that there was nothing different that he could have done to help his charges win in 09/10. Scapegoating the players helped him to continue in his career

Ross simply put the blame on the players. It was all their fault that they couldn't kick a goal in the last quarter in 2009...they should have iced the game and been in front by so far that they could just defend. That was the game plan that worked more often than not in home and away wasn't it? It was their fault that we couldn’t beat Collingwood in week 1 of 2010.

He tainted the team with his departing 'end of an era' bs because it conveniently flowed on from those initial words in April 2011...he was convincing himself once again that he was a super coach and the St Kilda list was the problem and the reason we fell short. I mean good on him. You have to back yourself is my motto

So Mr ‘career coach’ was 'headhunted' and given a godfather offer so of course he needed to remain confident in his ability to drive and motivate his next underlings

Ross has proven through his relationships with some of his best players and his relationships with assistant coaches that he is divisive. He has a use by date. That use by date was up at St Kilda.

His time at Freo had also run its course and the club couldn't afford to keep losing good staff and good players.
I can see you are not going to change your swiss cheese arguments, but we are stuck at home, so I’ll make a few more holes.

You keep mentioning debating. To me, it doesn’t seem to be your forte. You have stated that I would score zero. I think, especially if you ‘put the proposition’, ie, went first in the debate, that I would win with a score of zero. After listening to your warped, or should I say, curved, view of events, I would simply have to rise to my feet, look at the perplexed judges, remind them of what the actual subject was, and say “ni”. You do know that points are deducted in debates for exhibiting even hints of hindsight bias? Negative territory, I’m afraid.

Of course, Clarko was correct in that Hawks were middle of the road at the time, even though they had played 2 finals the year before and plenty of finals before that. He did go on to say that they would look at other players who were in form, and there would be changes. Coaches do that, it does motivate players, and out of form teams also need changes. Ross did the same. Don’t you understand that?

You should also re-read Ross’s April statement - he didn’t suggest rebuilding, but was responding to media comment during the early season that the Saints were on the way down. After all, in 2011 the Saints lost the 2 pre season matches playing poorly, and after 3 rounds were without a win. What is a coach meant to do? What happened? Ross said in the same April statement - “Alternatively I can keep picking honest players who are disciplined and selfless and try and shine again”….No giving up, no loss of confidence with the players, a few changes, improved attitude, and the Saints stormed home to finish 6th and finals. Great effort, and the April comment seemed to have a positive effect rather than negative.

After a good run at the flag, retirements, etc most teams need regeneration, and the media was probably right with the Saints at the time. I think Ross, with the motivation of a new contract, would have regenerated much better than Watters/Richo. But the big offer from Freo decided the issue, and he accepted as most people would. Freo were in a GF after one year.

Your comments about Ross always blaming the players is rubbish. Name one coach who didn’t criticise players, what else are they supposed to talk about? The seagulls kept getting in the way?
All coaches at times criticise players, attitude, disposals, game plans and execution, and they also praise. Ross was no different. He also dealt out plenty of praise, but I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative. Seemed to have pretty good relationships with virtually all players and coaches, you always get some clashes in a tough business. Going by your comment, Clarko, Barrassi, Matthews, etc etc were all divisive coaches. To some extent you have to be.

As for the GT argument, Joffa has clearly explained it with facts, and that is what will endure. RL’s are far better. I think, GT for a first time coach that barged his way into the role, did fairly well with a great list, but ultimately the game style was flawed, and not designed to win a Grand Final. He didn’t even get there. With that list, I think Sheldon, Alves (in their coaching prime), even Blight remotely from Qld would have reached and probably won a GF or two.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:33am
GT had one thing to fix - conditioning???
He had 5 & 1/2 seasons to fix it but never did.
We were worse in 06 injury wise, but pig headed GT did nothing about it.

The team was in decline on 06 though IMO GTs mismanagement, I'd be interested to understand how the GT fans on this site see our 06 season and where the team sat at the end of 06. Top me they were physically broken and had lost belief.
I agree - that's why GT had to go.

But, RL gambled and lost - and left us in a much worse state than when he arrived.

Both had to go, IMO - and it might explain why we took our time re-signing RL - we were still weighing things up with him? It was not an easy decision for us to make.
As scollop mentioned, he'd given up on the group at the end of the 2011 season - he'd basically thrown his players under the bus with his "end of an era" remark - and that didn't inspire any confidence in retaining him.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:50am, edited 2 times in total.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:04am
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 10:22am

Sorry Barry, you cannot rewrite history to suit your agenda!
The facts are the facts! The saints were in decline at the end of 2006.

- 2004 - finished 3rd prelim
- 2005 - finished 4th prelim
- 2006 - finished 6th prelim

The team you stated had a huge chunk of its key players 21 and under (2004) and went within a bees dick of a GF should have been flying in 2006 given that "chunk of key players"had another 40-60 games under their belt by the end of 2006.

Where was the improvement?
The team went from 3rd in 2004 to 6th in 2006 eliminated in the first round of the finals by Melbourne.

look at the results its very clear, the saints were in decline.
BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 13 Apr 2020 1:11pm
It was a team with a huge chunk of its key players being 21 and under.

Our guys in the middle bracket were generally battlers or GoPs.
I'm not necessarily disputing the 'on decline' part of your statement.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Legendary wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 10:43am GT flew Lyon down from Sydney to his house in October 2005 and basically offered him a blank cheque to join the Saints as senior assistant.

Things might have looked very different in 2006 with Lyon in charge of gameplan - instead of getting smashed every time we played a side coached by a good tactician.

Ancient history now.
?

We lost to Sydney once in 2004, then beat them in a final.

We beat Sydney in 05, then lost to them in a final.

We beat them in 06 at the SCG.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:40am

But, RL gambled and lost - and left us in a much worse state than when he arrived.
Yep, put everything into winning a flag and couldn't get them across the line.
Spent all our chips and the group were cooked, and finished with Ross' message.

Incredibly similar patterns between 04 - 06 and 09 - 11 for different reasons.

Performance declined dramatically and the club devoid of top draft picks topped up with mature and recycled guys who were not at the standard in both eras.

IMO the players lost faith in 06 and were not prepared professionally under the coaching of GT, the soft tissue injuries support this as does the decline in performance.

IMO the players again lost faith in 11 after 09 & 10 I believe (my opinion only) they thought their chance had come and gone. They'd killed themselves with effort and did not get the final reward.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

A reasonable summation, Joffa Burns.
Sorry for confusing you with the illustrious notorious Joffa Boy.