Competitive Or Contenders? Asking For A Friend

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Competitive Or Contenders? Asking For A Friend

Disclaimer.

I did not see the match but I read the match thread and the scoreboard.

People who did spoke in glowing terms of Billings ( BOG), Zac Jones, the man of Steel, Brad Hill, Lonie, Dean Butler. Apparently Paddy Ryder showed signs of why he made AA, Cal Wilkie continues to impress. Max King, the makings of a KPP.

I've probably left out players worthy of mention.

To me, the Round One loss to the Kangas, as terrible as it was, was indication, based on the first half, that we had something we haven't previously shown as a footy team.

Today, we were in a similar scoring position as the previous match but we didn't fold like a deck of cards from the $2 shop.

So, my question is this: Are we competitive? Are we contenders? Ok. Two questions.

This is the craziest season already in the history of Australian Rules football.

And it was a weekend of crazy results. GC beating West Coast. Melbourne by the tightest of margins over Carlton. There will be no easy games for us. That is for sure. We will have to earn every win.

So what are people seeing/saying about our footy team? Are we different? Are we better? Is the improvement real or imagined? Have the new recruits transformed us?

Over to you. Enlighten please.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Competitive Or Contenders? Asking For A Friend

Who knows. If they play with that intensity anything can happen. It helps that they have a coach that CAN coach.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

If we kick straight we can beat anyone.
Nothing beats scoreboard pressure.
We've had the ability to win games over previous seasons but shite kicking for goal has cost us .
Should be 2 wins . Out played north for most of the game but kicked badly after half way through the second quarter and allowed them to reel us in .
Hopefully tonights win will give them confidence to play and kick well v the pies.

In red white and black from 73
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Competitive is the goal for this year I'd reckon. More to the point, accountability and consistency will be the key. Get these three things in sync and the heavens may just open up.
Finals should only be a secondary goal. Ours is a mental struggle and we need to overcome that with confidence in the application and execution of strategy and skill.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Backline is shaping up nicely which will allow us to play with a more attacking mindset

That said still reckon we are short of one absolutely gun goalkicking beast mid

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm trying to stay optimistic but after years of getting my hopes up I'll reserve judgement until about round 10-11

Maybe it's just that the Dogs are crap and drunk too much of their own bathwater with the hype surrounding them

...especially from some journos who had the Dogs as the surprise preseason favourites for the 2020 flag

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can you ask again at the end of June - we will have useful data then.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

We're not a contender. Not even close.

We'll look really good against teams that can't put the heat on us (such as North in the 1st half, and the Bulldogs yesterday) but will struggle to put it together against tams that bring the pressure. It will take another 10-15 games playing together to be able to execute the plan under pressure.

Actually, I should clarify we're 'not even close'. I think we are close - yet very far away. If that makes sense. The cohesion will come together. In that sense, I think we're close (ie. 10-15 games). But the extra mid with good footskills isn't something that just happens. In that sense, we're potentially 12 months off at least - or we never land him and we never get there.

Unfortunately, Gresham just can't kick. It's an embarrassment. So you almost put a line through him as a mid and a forward too to a large degree. He can't kick more than 30m, so it reduces his threat to the opposition too much.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

All I can really add is that so far, it appears that we’re at least trying to address some of the glaring deficiencies that have haunted us for the last 2-3 years.

Our structure seems to be a work in progress but at least appears more balanced - pbly nailed it this week IMO
We seem to have really placed an emphasis on quicker, more direct movement and attack
Seem to have less role players

Most importantly, at least to this point there some sense of adaptability as opposed trying the same failed experiment week in week out... obviously that’s a very early call 2 games in but it appears to be the intent...
Went too small and sloppy in round one with the more erroneous players getting the axe as a result.

It’s too early to say that we’re contenders but we’ve got some bigger tests coming up and we’ll learn a bit about where we’re really at vs Collingwood.

damienc
Club Player

Highlights packages can be very misleading.

So are player show reels but there is a strong point/ argument to be made IMO around what I saw of the Saints highlights.

Speed.

We are now a very quick footy team. We have some players like thoroughbred racehorses. I’m talking Zac Jones and Dean Butler. It was my impression that the freedom Butler had playing / roaming in the midfield, seemed to transform his game.

That’s the best I’ve seen him play.

I remember when we recruited him, Tiger supporters said he had smarts as well as speed, just never got the chance at Richmond.

Early days of course. But there were times when he left the doggies flat footed.

And gasping for air.

We also seem to be able to hit targets. These have to be big steps in the right direction. Getting first use of the ball is vital in winning games of footy, Ryder and the prospect delivered the goods.

Some superb tap work.

saint64
Club Player

If 2009 is any guide, a seventeen week season could well suit us. Pity we have already dropped one game.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Mon 15 Jun 2020 1:47am Backline is shaping up nicely which will allow us to play with a more attacking mindset

That said still reckon we are short of one absolutely gun goalkicking beast mid
I'm sincerely hoping that Jack Steele becomes that man. And Bytel does that naturally. I'd not be unhappy if Luke Dunstan never plays another game for St K

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

We are in with a shot imhfo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 14 Jun 2020 11:39pm Disclaimer.

I did not see the match but I read the match thread and the scoreboard.

People who did spoke in glowing terms of Billings ( BOG), Zac Jones, the man of Steel, Brad Hill, Lonie, Dean Butler. Apparently Paddy Ryder showed signs of why he made AA, Cal Wilkie continues to impress. Max King, the makings of a KPP.

I've probably left out players worthy of mention.

To me, the Round One loss to the Kangas, as terrible as it was, was indication, based on the first half, that we had something we haven't previously shown as a footy team.

Today, we were in a similar scoring position as the previous match but we didn't fold like a deck of cards from the $2 shop.

So, my question is this: Are we competitive? Are we contenders? Ok. Two questions.

This is the craziest season already in the history of Australian Rules football.

And it was a weekend of crazy results. GC beating West Coast. Melbourne by the tightest of margins over Carlton. There will be no easy games for us. That is for sure. We will have to earn every win.

So what are people seeing/saying about our footy team? Are we different? Are we better? Is the improvement real or imagined? Have the new recruits transformed us?

Over to you. Enlighten please.
You can watch a replay of the whole match on afl.com.au mate. If you hurry

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Loving the optimism. But Beverage coached abysmally yesterday - and he was let down by his team.

Why he didn't shift numbers behind the ball is beyond me, we grabbed so many easy goals from coast-to-coast plays. He backed his midfield to get on top but they never did and he didn't adjust.

Other coaches won't hesitate to clog us up and disrupt us.

On the flip side, I like how our game was much less reliant on skill execution and much more reliant on non-possession play (the highlight example being Geary's tap on). Richmond do this expertly.

They hurry and rush the ball forward before the opposition has a chance to get numbers back, creating numerous one-on-one opportunities at ground level. The more unpredictable the entry, the harder it is for tall backs to adjust - especially once the ball hits the deck.

That style is tailor-made for Butler, Lonie, Gresham and Billings.

When we did have to pop it up, because the F50 was clogged, we just aimed it at Max and he was left to fly against 2-3 opponents, and had trouble marking it (obviously).

To me, this game style is much more suited to us, which takes away our biggest flaw (trying to deliver precise passes) and relies a lot less on execution going into the F50 - moving the focus to keeping the ball in there once it is in there. Our tackling yesterday in the F50 was sensational.

We did have that pressure at times under Richo but usually tried to combine it with precise movement and in the modern footy world, it's hard to do both.

Is it a long-term style? We'll see, but it worked yesterday. Better teams will work it out fairly quickly but I liked what I saw. I hope we can maintain the pressure, but I fear it was very Docklands-specific pressure. The dimensions there suit us so well.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The next two games will give a very good indication of where we're at.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 15 Jun 2020 12:25pm The next two games will give a very good indication of where we're at.
Yes.

Not get blown away = competitive

Win one = look to play finals

Win two = what lid??? Well and truly off in a shortened, unpredictable season.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

This Saturday will give us a clearer picture.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We hadn't won a game for 309 days!!!!!

Ratten will be a rock!

Moorabbin is awesome.

Saints definitely finals material.

No doubt.

Saintaaaaz!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yeah, seen this too many times to make a call. we beat a very ordinary team, but looked good doing it. fingers crossed, but i'm holding off for three more games before getting too excited. bloody good to get a win though.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "