New Debutants

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

New Debutants

At what stage do we bite the bullet and give debuts to say - Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly? (There could be others)

In the scratch match report all 3 received positive write ups and we continue to see that some of our more senior players are just not up to it or are just plain over the hill

We have already turned over quite a lot of the list but I think we may need to be even more brutal in order to kick start the club

In 1994 an 18yo Matty Lappin debuted for the Saints and that season he played 9 games

In 1995 we debuted two 17yos - Joel Smith who played 20 games that season - Tony Brown who played 17 games - we also debuted one 18yo Austinn Jones who played 19 games that season

Of course we played off in a GF 2 years later with all those players contributing heavily during that season.

Now I am not saying success will be guaranteed if we inject more youth however the above examples show that a fresh injection can do wonders for a team especially if young debutants can have an immediate energetic impact.

Thoughts?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Re: New Debutants

Devilhead wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:56pm At what stage do we bite the bullet and give debuts to say - Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly? (There could be others)

In the scratch match report all 3 received positive write ups and we continue to see that some of our more senior players are just not up to it or are just plain over the hill

We have already turned over quite a lot of the list but I think we may need to be even more brutal in order to kick start the club

In 1994 an 18yo Matty Lappin debuted for the Saints and that season he played 9 games

In 1995 we debuted two 17yos - Joel Smith who played 20 games that season - Tony Brown who played 17 games - we also debuted one 18yo Austinn Jones who played 19 games that season

Of course we played off in a GF 2 years later with all those players contributing heavily during that season.

Now I am not saying success will be guaranteed if we inject more youth however the above examples show that a fresh injection can do wonders for a team especially if young debutants can have an immediate energetic impact.

Thoughts?
If their form warrants selection then yes. If it is a fifty fifty call between an oldie or them then go for them instead of the oldie.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Gershwin
Club Player

I don't know that I would get too carried away with the scratch match report - it was written by the club and talked up 15 players. In fact if you played and didn't get mentioned you must have played a shocker.

This season is so important to the Club that we must ensure we win as many games as possible. We must show we are relevant to the competition. We already know we are a drain financially. I don't know that I would be blooding new players unless they were absolutely showing compelling reasons for getting a game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 4:56pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 21 Jun 2020 11:56pm At what stage do we bite the bullet and give debuts to say - Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly? (There could be others)

Thoughts?
If their form warrants selection then yes. If it is a fifty fifty call between an oldie or them then go for them instead of the oldie.
And where do you suggest they play to get some form to warrant selection, Nick?

Saint supporter since '62
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 6:55pm

Thoughts?
The scratch matches.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

One at a time, 4 games each this year.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We have topped up with 5 mature players to play finals this year - well, that was the pre COVID plan - or if not finals, to be very close to the mark.

Just because we got rolled by a top side playing out of their skin for a half doesn’t mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Thoughts?
Every listed player seemed to play a blinder in that 'scratch' match... give me the stats - they couldn't have all stared.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 8:08pm

Thoughts?
The scratch matches.
Hmm. Extremely tough competition those scratch matches. Not at all like those soft VFL games!

Saint supporter since '62
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

None of us have had a look at Bytel or Byrnes. Both can play, based on their U18 form and have AFL -ready bodies. Connolly seems to be a project player who's very light, so him playing this year won't happen. Then you've got Clavarino (unlikey, unless we get a few injuries), Mayo (a slight chance with an injury to one of our forwards) and Bell (project player - no chance).

So really, there aren't many to chose from. My guess is that only one player will debut from that list and it's out of Byrnes and Bytel

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 23 Jun 2020 4:29pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 22 Jun 2020 8:08pm

Thoughts?
The scratch matches.
Hmm. Extremely tough competition those scratch matches. Not at all like those soft VFL games!
Better than nothing. What do you suggest Trev?

goods
Club Player

Bytel - hes the one! He must play.

footynut
Club Player

goods wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 3:47am Bytel - hes the one! He must play.
And Jone's injury might just be the opening he needs.

ace
Saintsational Legend

BYTEL may just be the fourth competitor the ACCC was looking for when they tried to block the TPG Telecom - Vodaphone Hutchinson Australia merger.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.