List Management

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

List Management

With our picks in the ND this year I am hoping that we take the best players possible.

Hopefully if our form holds up the whole year we will be in a position to grab a Free Agent which obviously does not cost draft picks. If we were able to grab any of the 3 players below we would be well on our way to the top 4. The only question mark is do we still have that war chest of money after our trading spree from last year??

Zac Williams
Brad Couch
Rory Atkins

Note : Gags is a South Australian so go to work on the 2 SA based boys.

Thoughts??

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: List Management

Any chance you could focus on the football season at hand instead of navel gazing about trading and recruitment?

Better still, shoot a copy of your resume to Lethers and Finnis. One look at your thoughtful insights would see you snapped up, for sure. The rest of us could then concentrate on actual football instead of being sidetracked by your thought bubbles.

Saint supporter since '62
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 8:40pm With our picks in the ND this year I am hoping that we take the best players possible.

Hopefully if our form holds up the whole year we will be in a position to grab a Free Agent which obviously does not cost draft picks. If we were able to grab any of the 3 players below we would be well on our way to the top 4. The only question mark is do we still have that war chest of money after our trading spree from last year??

Zac Williams
Brad Couch
Rory Atkins

Note : Gags is a South Australian so go to work on the 2 SA based boys.

Thoughts??
Slim pickins' this year.

Williams is a very good player, but do we need another 1/2 back on big $?
He's a big upgrade on Paton but not sure he's what we need.

Crouch is another very good footballer but do we need another one paced midfield accumulator?
I'm not sure we need to make an overs offer for Crouch.

Atkins is a solid B grade AFL player on a wing, mid or half back, do we want him blocking the place of Clark, Bytel or Burns?

It's a no, no & no for me.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 8:51pm Any chance you could focus on the football season at hand instead of navel gazing about trading and recruitment?

Better still, shoot a copy of your resume to Lethers and Finnis. One look at your thoughtful insights would see you snapped up, for sure. The rest of us could then concentrate on actual football instead of being sidetracked by your thought bubbles.
Thanks Trevor.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 8:54pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 8:51pm Any chance you could focus on the football season at hand instead of navel gazing about trading and recruitment?

Thanks Trevor.
My pleasure, anything to help.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's possible there will be very little movement of high paid players between clubs this year due to significant budget cuts. I think the 2nd tier comps will be fertile grounds for value recruiting.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 10:28pm It's possible there will be very little movement of high paid players between clubs this year due to significant budget cuts. I think the 2nd tier comps will be fertile grounds for value recruiting.
Following a trend in recent years, which has bought us Sinclair, Long, Marshall, Wilkie, Hind, Parker and Paton, I can't see why it wouldn't.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 10:28pm It's possible there will be very little movement of high paid players between clubs this year due to significant budget cuts. I think the 2nd tier comps will be fertile grounds for value recruiting.
Quite so, and there is also the issue of turning one or more of the St Kilda players over to make room for any FA's they might want.

About the only possible retiree is Jarryn Geary who is out of contract this October and if he keeps up his good recent form as a defensive forward may well be offered another year.

There are a number of Saints aged 24 or over unable to break into the best 22 who could be considered to trade out, and please note, I'm not advocating any of the following go elsewhere:

Logan Austin (25) - Non FA - contracted to 2020
Luke Dunstan (25) - Restricted FA - 2021
Daniel McKenzie (24) - RFA - 2022
Dylan Roberton (29) - RFA - 2021
Jack Sinclair (24) - NFA - 2021
Jimmy Webster (27) - UFA - 2022

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 10:58am
Quite so, and there is also the issue of turning one or more of the St Kilda players over to make room for any FA's they might want.

About the only possible retiree is Jarryn Geary who is out of contract this October and if he keeps up his good recent form as a defensive forward may well be offered another year.

There are a number of Saints aged 24 or over unable to break into the best 22 who could be considered to trade out, and please note, I'm not advocating any of the following go elsewhere:

Very interesting list

Austin has got no outside value and I feel like Dmac won’t generate much interest but the other four along with Savage are in many ppl’s top22s and all have had patches of decent form.
With the exception of Robbo... would be interested in seeing what we’d be offered for any of them

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I doubt there will be much scope for us to take a FA player unless he comes dirt cheap and so then you are probably dealing with a B grader or lower anyway. Talk of list sizes being slashed to 30 to 35 will also shape cost management significantly. My guess is the players contracted beyond 2020 who are on more than 300k to 350k will stay simply because clubs won't have the luxury of splashing cash and will be forced to honour contracts to thier financial end. Sadly many players will just be retrenched and never grace an AFL field again beyond 2020.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 08 Jul 2020 10:04pm

Thanks Trevor.
Go and get f***ed arsehole

<1 week ban for abuse>

diddley
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:26pm

Thanks Trevor.
Is there really a need for that?

Saint 58
Club Player

diddley wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:30pm

Thanks Trevor.
Just my opinion of course ...
List management is just about an all year job/process
So I can't see a problem with the OP
So yeah, there definitely is a need for that :)

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
diddley
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 3:08pm
diddley wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 2:30pm

Thanks Trevor.
Just my opinion of course ...
List management is just about an all year job/process
So I can't see a problem with the OP
So yeah, there definitely is a need for that :)
Sorry, I think my comment was taken the wrong way.
Yes, I do think that List Management is an all year round job. Gets a little busier around trade week, much like an accountant at tax time.
My comment was directed at the quote
[/quote]

It is not needed here.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Great post.
I believe we have the following picks in the ND this year.
6, 56, 73, 79

From a strategic point of view, I would be trying to package Luke Dunstan and 56 for Adelaide's pick 23. If Adelaide accepted then maybe Gold Coast would accept 6 and 23 for Bing? You never know if you don't give it a go.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I do like how you have been pretty consistent with upgrading our picks
I think it is a wise especially if as JB says its slim picking this year

I dont like how some think they have the right to determine which subjects get to be debated and the manner in which they are discussed

Seeya
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Like Newnes last year you'd think all are expendable.
Also like Newnes last year, I think there would be very little trade value in Austin & McKenzie and both would only have an option as a DFA. Depending on contract position, if out of contract you'd expect both to be delisted.

Webster and Sinclair would probably get picked up for a pick upgrade in the 3rd or 4th round or a late draft pick. Dunstan maybe a late 3rd-4th round pick.

Robbo is either back playing ones and a required player or no trade value IMO as if he's up for trade it means he is finished. At his best hes a top ten player at the club, I hope he can get back there.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:10pm

Great post.
6, 56, 73, 79

From a strategic point of view, I would be trying to package Luke Dunstan and 56 for Adelaide's pick 23. If Adelaide accepted then maybe Gold Coast would accept 6 and 23 for Bing? You never know if you don't give it a go.
Would you trade Max for #6 & #23?
If you are going to write potential trades at least make them reasonable.
Though Max may end up better, Ben is showing signs he's just as good as Max thus far.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:10pm

Great post.
6, 56, 73, 79

Ben King is unlikely to become available anytime soon, he has signed to end 2022.

It's a bit hard to know this far out which FA St Kilda might need or want to improve the list at the end of 2020. A quick scan of players coming out of contract this year is not overly exciting, so it depends on who might want to request to be traded out for whatever reason, an avenue which St Kilda has been able to exploit with good effect in the last few years.

Of course the question has to be asked: what does St Kilda need to improve the list and most would answer: a gun midfielder. But that in part has already happened with Zak Jones who IMHO is exactly the type of mid that's been needed for years, a hard nut, aggressive, fearless tackling speedster - to complement the steadily improving Jack Billings, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham, Hunter Clark, Ben Long, Dan Butler plus the experienced Dan Hannebery and Bradley Hill.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:54pm
Ben King is unlikely to become available anytime soon, he has signed to end 2022.
In '22 Suns will be in the midst of a finals window
Will be very hard to pry BenKing away then

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 5:29pm
Sanctorum wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 4:54pm
In '22 Suns will be in the midst of a finals window
Will be very hard to pry BenKing away then
We can speculate all we like about why players will/won't move.
We just don't know what it is that motivates any player, unless they publicly admit it.
Ben King was a mad Saints supporter.
His twin brother Max was a mad Saints supporter and plays for the Saints.
Their whole family are mad Saints supporters.
If we (the Saints) continue our progress then we are likely to be in finals contention in 2022 so the 'drawcard' to stay at the Suns may not be that strong compared to coming to the Saints.
Who is Ben King's manager? Is it the same as Max King's?
How is the lifestyle for Ben on the GC?
Is he likely to earn the same money up there as he could earn in Melbourne? How much Salary Cap will they have available to throw at him in 2022? They have a heap of high end draft picks that they'll need to accommodate to keep.
Does he have the family support at GC he could/would have in Melbourne? I know during the lockdown after Round 1 Ben returned to his family home in Melbourne for an extended period. Is that a sign?
How much does he want to play with his brother?
Just some of the considerations involved.

Lots of questions that will influence any decision Ben King makes for his playing future after 2022.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Trevor.
you still trying to contact the mods?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

desertsaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 6:30pm

Thanks Trevor.
GAGF

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 6:55pm
desertsaint wrote: Thu 09 Jul 2020 6:30pm

Thanks Trevor.
GAGF
How is Nexus still allowed to post? Ignoring the fact that he's a troll, that's 2 directly abusive posts in the same thread.

The Saints are coming!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Thanks Trevor.
No need to get nasty, Nick. I am helping you, you have just shown everyone that you need help.

Chew on a bar of soap, potty mouth!