Boy how disheartening was that?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Boy how disheartening was that?

The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:29pm
tony74 wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:24pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:05pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:25am What we couldnt overcome was a full press. Looked completely different on the replay but I was there. In the first qtr we set up.accross HB and pushed forward with overlap. Our new style.
Longmuir then sent his whole defence into their half and they ran us ragged.
What puzzles me is we went with them and blew our structure. For most of the 2nd and 3rd their was 36 players in one half.
They swamped the centre square and basically ran repeat 50m sprints. We tried to go around them and got swamped. They ran hard and we couldnt keep up. Then when we got the ball we resorted back to bombs away from the defensive side of centre. We got out-coached, out-played and out run.
Hill Paton Billings Carlisle and Ross all got sucked into a game of chasey and we just keep trying to push the ball wide and find space. It was pathetic.
That explains a lot.

However the full press is hardly new and so one can oly wonder way Ratts was so slow to react.
I can inform you the coaches reacted. The players did not. The amount of players who did not register one pressure act or even one possession ( particularly in the third quarter) was pathetic. No bus trip, no humidity, no lack of plan B is to blame. Just a pathetic performance and they know.
Thanks Tony.

Glad to hear the club is putting the onus on the players and not looking for ridiculous excuses.
Thank you for this analysis.

So what do we do now?
We were swamped as you say, but their press and our overlap hame went to the dogs. The coaches tried something, but evidently the players couldn’t follow the new plan.

Adelaides senior players are showing some glimpses of form apparently, and no doubt our losses to North, Collingwood and now this latest disaster will be scrutinized by them.

You say we didn’t have targets and played chased. Fair enough. But what can we do? We have the skills and fitness to match Freo, so it is executing a plan we need. But what plan?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not there but from past experience there is nowhere to hide during the review. It’s either euphorically uplifting or it’s brutal. I think you’ll know what this one will be. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s already happened.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:40pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 4:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:25am What we couldnt overcome was a full press. Looked completely different on the replay but I was there. In the first qtr we set up.accross HB and pushed forward with overlap. Our new style.
What puzzles me is we went with them and blew our structure. For most of the 2nd and 3rd their was 36 players in one half.
They swamped the centre square and basically ran repeat 50m sprints. We tried to go around them and got swamped. They ran hard and we couldnt keep up. Then when we got the ball we resorted back to bombs away from the defensive side of centre. We got out-coached, out-played and out run.
Hill Paton Billings Carlisle and Ross all got sucked into a game of chasey and we just keep trying to push the ball wide and find space. It was pathetic.
That explains a lot.

However the full press is hardly new and so one can oly wonder way Ratts was so slow to react.
I can inform you the coaches reacted. The players did not. The amount of players who did not register one pressure act or even one possession ( particularly in the third quarter) was pathetic. No bus trip, no humidity, no lack of plan B is to blame. Just a pathetic performance and they know.
Thanks Tony.

Glad to hear the club is putting the onus on the players and not looking for ridiculous excuses.
Thank you for this analysis.

So what do we do now?
We were swamped as you say, but their press and our overlap hame went to the dogs. The coaches tried something, but evidently the players couldn’t follow the new plan.

Adelaides senior players are showing some glimpses of form apparently, and no doubt our losses to North, Collingwood and now this latest disaster will be scrutinized by them.

You say we didn’t have targets and played chased. Fair enough. But what can we do? We have the skills and fitness to match Freo, so it is executing a plan we need. But what plan?
You have to slow the tempo of the game down and keep possesion.
Freo used short kicks to create numbers in zones while our mids tried to run ahead of the play. As our mids surged they flanked from behind the play.
When we got it we just played on and kicked for wider ground trying to force space to open up allowing them time to corral us from the corridor. We ended up running further away from our own numbers.
It's ok to look backwards and sideways, its ok to spread laterally and draw the opposition out of their defensive zones. Even in the middle of the ground. You can't burst past everyone.
My 12 year old daughter observed that they were playing chess and we were playing draughts.

Plugger12

What is the game plan. If Freo move the ball easy from the backline do we not change to 1 on 1 to force a contest. Why do we not change our style if it is not working.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So it can be fixed?

Either way if it is true from Tony's inference that we had Plan B then we must have some seriously mentally deficient players given they didn't follow instructions to rectify the situation

Once is a blip ...... twice ...... Houston ...... we have a fkng big problem

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

That explains a lot.

Hi Tony74 - Thanks the insight. When he’s back from his week in the sick bay - can you please let that SecretKiel numpty know that? He seems to think everything in the world conspired us from running and cracking in after 1/4 time.

Anyone with a brain would know that wasn’t it. If everything was so against us ... we wouldn’t have managed to get 6 up at 1/4 time (not to mention a couple of shots in the 2nd q that would’ve got us close to 50pts up).

Have a good night.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

tony47..has fitness been questioned at all ?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 6:33pm So it can be fixed?

Either way if it is true from Tony's inference that we had Plan B then we must have some seriously mentally deficient players given they didn't follow instructions to rectify the situation

Once is a blip ...... twice ...... Houston ...... we have a fkng big problem
Of course our boys are mentally non-resilient. When challenged - we just don’t have to the tools to resist.

That’s 100% on-ground leadership ... post Roo - we still don’t have any. Geary and Ross are good trainers, solid citizens blah blah blah but, when it counts on ground - they’re beyond laughable.

Go you red, black & white warriors
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 7:42pm tony47..has fitness been questioned at all ?
No, all teams would be on the same level. It’s just whether you can gut run- and then do it again. And follow a f......n plan.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

And follow a f......n plan.
fun in noosa ?

coz following em , does your f .......g head in

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 9:08pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 7:42pm tony47..has fitness been questioned at all ?
No, all teams would be on the same level. It’s just whether you can gut run- and then do it again. And follow a f......n plan.
Well FWIW, I’m encouraged by your response (or the club’s response as you describe it).

It’s a step away from 2 years ago... when the feedback was often a variation of the club wasn’t sure what happened but has trained well and the boys are quietly confident this week.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
is a bloody art form with the Mighties

faaaaaaaaaaaaark
said the ravin

what was good about it
was the first quarter
meeting Byron ‘n CQ
‘n doing the footy thing again
+
how good do the chicky babes look in our colours !!
:)

losing pisses me off
thanx Saints

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 9:49pm snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
is a bloody art form with the Mighties

faaaaaaaaaaaaark
said the ravin

what was good about it
was the first quarter
meeting Byron ‘n CQ
‘n doing the footy thing again
+
how good do the chicky babes look in our colours !!
:)

losing pisses me off
thanx Saints
Totally caught be by surprise asiu. I was amazed that you took a punk and picked me out of the crowd. Your a good listener and an observant fella. I walked away regretting that I didn't take the time to find you, I did glance around, chat for a while, maybe have a drink and watch a quarter with you. Next time, should the chance arise. 😁

asiu
Saintsational Legend

wasn’t that hard tiny
:D

we were sitting just below
‘n to your right
on the edge of the bay

i had you pegged early

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 10:09pm wasn’t that hard tiny
:D

we were sitting just below
‘n to your right
on the edge of the bay

i had you pegged early
Yes. I think I recall you smiled warmly at me earlier. I'm fairly focussed on the footy. Zoned out. I wish you had of sparked me earlier. Lol.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

was a great st kilda crowd
plenty of noise

the standing ovation at quarter time
was in hindsight a tad premmy

... a little feral , at times after that
... brutal but fair commentary
all around ... very (old) St Kilda !!

heres looking at you #2

regardless , i had a blast

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’ve got a question for Tony

did Player Welfare guru guy go north to Noosa
coz i'm thinking the boys didn't give
Braddles a quality birthday present

‘n he might need an ear massage

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 7:39pm
That explains a lot.

Hi Tony74 - Thanks the insight. When he’s back from his week in the sick bay - can you please let that SecretKiel numpty know that? He seems to think everything in the world conspired us from running and cracking in after 1/4 time.

Anyone with a brain would know that wasn’t it. If everything was so against us ... we wouldn’t have managed to get 6 up at 1/4 time (not to mention a couple of shots in the 2nd q that would’ve got us close to 50pts up).

Have a good night.
His theory will be we were sharing the tanking. They agreed to tank in the first quarter and we obliged for the rest of the game. :)

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 10:38pm i’ve got a question for Tony

did Player Welfare guru guy go north to Noosa
coz i'm thinking the boys didn't give
Braddles a quality birthday present

‘n he might need an ear massage
That's a cheeky question but I'm interested too. I didn't see that fella anywhere.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

That explains a lot.

However the full press is hardly new and so one can only wonder why Ratts was so slow to react.

Thanks Tony.

I presume that the next selection meeting will spell it out that this is not acceptable.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 5:56pm Was horrible to watch live. After quarter time ........fumble fumble fumble. Second to the pill, poor disposal, turnovers costing us plenty. Like the air went out of us at quarter time and then we suddenly woke up with ten minutes to go. Too little too late. Farkin disappointing
Was also at the game and you’ve about nailed it. Forget the drive, the heat, looked like Freo upped the pressure after quarter time and we didn’t respond, we needed a leader to drag the rest along and no one stood up.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Sat 11 Jul 2020 5:56pm Was horrible to watch live. After quarter time ........fumble fumble fumble. Second to the pill, poor disposal, turnovers costing us plenty. Like the air went out of us at quarter time and then we suddenly woke up with ten minutes to go. Too little too late. Farkin disappointing
Was also at the game and you’ve about nailed it. Forget the drive, the heat, looked like Freo upped the pressure after quarter time and we didn’t respond, we needed the leaders to drag the rest along and no one stood up.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I am happy to read the analysis on this thread and I am sort of putting together a little jigsaw of the picture for my footy brain cell.

1) We charged out of the blocks in our new running ways with this 'overlapping' thing, which I am calling redundancy running attack plan (RRAP). Freo couldn't match our tempo and we kicked well enough for it to work
2) Freo decided to flood slow and basically drove a giant cement mixer onto the park, and held onto the ball. We stopped in our tracks and they found free players thanks to our RRAP, where they zoned.
3) Our coach tell our players to do something else, (not sure of this bit) and we couldn't or wouldn't do it. We couldn't apply pressure either
4) Now the mystery. How did we manage to fight back at the death? We must have been doing something right?
5) At the very end we charged forward again and the Freo forwards stayed back, got the final goal.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

We were 3 goals down near the end and got back to level before they kicked the last one. I don't know what the heck happened in between the first qtr and near the end.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 13 Jul 2020 9:17pm I am happy to read the analysis on this thread and I am sort of putting together a little jigsaw of the picture for my footy brain cell.

1) We charged out of the blocks in our new running ways with this 'overlapping' thing, which I am calling redundancy running attack plan (RRAP). Freo couldn't match our tempo and we kicked well enough for it to work
2) Freo decided to flood slow and basically drove a giant cement mixer onto the park, and held onto the ball. We stopped in our tracks and they found free players thanks to our RRAP, where they zoned.
3) Our coach tell our players to do something else, (not sure of this bit) and we couldn't or wouldn't do it. We couldn't apply pressure either
4) Now the mystery. How did we manage to fight back at the death? We must have been doing something right?
5) At the very end we charged forward again and the Freo forwards stayed back, got the final goal.
Point 3. After half time we should have stacked the back half and let them come at us and just absorb the pressure in a zone with only 2 small forwards Kent and Butler, in our half between CHF and the goals, restricting them to play only in the forward 50.
Id have forced the battle to the middle of the ground where we just go ugly from scramble to scramble and challenging them to score through pressure. We should have pressed back
We still had a lead to defend.
I'd have placed Marsh and Battle permanently posted on the back of the square as 7th and 8th defenders. The mids and Membrey and King running lanes on the square lines from HF to half back, constantly switching the play from side to side. Advance, switch, retreat, repeat.
I'm not sure what the messages from the coaches were, but there was frantic rotations going on and lots of players switching positions. Watching the bench was doing my head in.