Is it our midfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Is it our midfield?

I think it is. If jack Steele didn't play tonight, God help us! And as brave as Steele is, he's no superstar. Seb Ross simply is ineffectual. He may have been doing a tagging job, I couldn't tell. But 9 possessions. And his possessions just don't break anything open. Billings was poor tonight. Jones was undisciplined. Gresh has his moments but way too inconsistent. Missed two absolute sitters and still insists on kicking balloons. Hill appears to be a front runner and just fades in and out of the game.

We get scored against way too easily. And that's generally on the mids - and the way we set up. I'm afraid the honeymoon is over for me with Ratten. Too one dimensional. We set up well and when the opposition reacts we have nothing. The 3rd quarter was rubbish. The Fwd line is doing their bit and the pressure up there was terrific tonight. I thought Carlisle and Howard did their job as well, so did Clarke and Coffield. I reckon we desperately need Clarke in the midfield. He has class and poise. Coff is doing well down back, and apart from one brain fade had a good game.

We just need more class in the midfield. Cleaner hands and more accurate kicking. We also need to set up on opposition transition. They cut through us like butter. Crows are a very ordinary side and could have really punished us in that 3rd quarter if they had of kicked accurately.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is it our midfield?

i think, steele aside, jones is our most important mid - when he is on, we are on. just hope he can lift to playing four consistently good quarters.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintbob
SS Life Member

Ross needs to go, get Clark into the middle immediately and leave him there for the rest of the year.
Which means we need to bring in either Webster or Savage to cover Clark’s move.
I think we’re also playing one too many small forwards and they keep tripping over each other, I won’t bother saying who the one should be as I reckon you would all know from my posts.
I’d bring in Sinclair as we are crying out for a good ball user to deliver it into our forward line and play him as a high half forward.

Vazelos
Club Player

The club knows the midfield still isn’t good enough. We have targeted a free agent for next year. Agree with all your statements I think Jones is a good addition he gives us a bit of ” Jack Stevens” grunt and pace.

Special
Club Player

We win through run and gun, some luck and a lot of bravado and mainly because we have Butler up forward.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:27pm Ross needs to go, get Clark into the middle immediately and leave him there for the rest of the year.
I think we’re also playing one too many small forwards and they keep tripping over each other, I won’t bother saying who the one should be as I reckon you would all know from my posts.
I’d bring in Sinclair as we are crying out for a good ball user to deliver it into our forward line and play him as a high half forward.
Agreed.

The challenge is IMO we’re lacking the quality there.

My solution is to have more guys on the ground that can contribute vs (yes I’m a broken record)... FP types that get 7 touches a match.

Lonie is in bad form and I don’t rate Kent all that highly but have to respect the fact that he managed two goals and an assist from his 10 touches and that he has maintained this form.
SInclair should come in for Lonie IMO.

Don’t know what to do with Ross... atrocious last 2 weeks

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:27pm Ross needs to go, get Clark into the middle immediately and leave him there for the rest of the year.
Absolutely. One good goal from Lonie shouldn't save his hide. Selfishly racing to take that kick in the pocket which was on the wrong side for a left footer should seal his fate alone. Dropping an easy chest mark in the 3rd quarter which ultimately cost us a goal. Kicking from 50 when he must know he was outside his distance. I think he needs to be dropped. I also agree about Clarke. Bring Webster in for mine and play Clarke in the midfield. I think young Byrnes isn't ready and will have to go back. Very tough in your 1st game without any lead in games, but he wasn't up to it nor did he show anything special for mine. He'll get another chance I'm sure.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

We are needing Hanners...he isn't the game winner himself but he's very clever and motivates.

Hill is admittedly out of sorts and needs to stay on the wing for now IMHO. He did great out there. Ran pretty hard all night.

We bet on Billings, Acres, Gresham and Sinclair to be our future midfield. Only Billings has semi-performed. Sinclair had a decent 2019 ranked in top 3 best on ground 16 games in 2019...but that didnt say much. Gresh is untouchable so lets just keep saying hes a great small forward that takes few marks and rarely goals....definitely not moving to the midfield where he was drafted to play...Acres, well thats over.
So, we continue with Seb and Dunstan - injured.

We need mid experience, speed & power hence, Hanners Jones & Hill. But with Hill failing to fire, Hanners hammered and Jones carrying a slight niggle we struggle. When Jones was fit he had as few hot games.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Pretty keen to see Bytel in the side!

PADDLEPOP1000
Moods
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:34pm We are needing Hanners...he isn't the game winner himself but he's very clever and motivates.

I agree. Hanneberry provides an old head who usually uses the ball well. We need Billings getting his hands on the ball. Guys who can use it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:34pm We are needing Hanners...he isn't the game winner himself but he's very clever and motivates.

Hill is admittedly out of sorts and needs to stay on the wing for now IMHO. He did great out there. Ran pretty hard all night.

We bet on Billings, Acres, Gresham and Sinclair to be our future midfield. Only Billings has semi-performed. Sinclair had a decent 2019 ranked in top 3 best on ground 16 games in 2019...but that didnt say much. Gresh is untouchable so lets just keep saying hes a great small forward that takes few marks and rarely goals....definitely not moving to the midfield where he was drafted to play...Acres, well thats over.
So, we continue with Seb and Dunstan - injured.

We need mid experience, speed & power hence, Hanners Jones & Hill. But with Hill failing to fire, Hanners hammered and Jones carrying a slight niggle we struggle. When Jones was fit he had as few hot games.
He at least is looks dangerous at times doesn’t he

stkfc1
Club Player

Spot on. I'd play Billings and Sincs rotating HHF and wing. We need good ball users in those positions. Clark in the guts for sure along with Bytel next week. Webster or Robbo in defence.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

All I know is that our midfield needs Ryder. Whether Ryder wins the tap or nullifies it. The midfield is certainly not good enough to cope with a dominating opposition ruckman.

Marshall needs to spend time on his marking and simply be prepared to do boundary throw ins and play a ruck rover role.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

My impression of Sinclair is that he has skill. Is he a good kick on both sides? Under pressure?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:46am My impression of Sinclair is that he has skill. Is he a good kick on both sides? Under pressure?
my impression..soft as butter

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:48am
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:46am My impression of Sinclair is that he has skill. Is he a good kick on both sides? Under pressure?
my impression..soft as butter
Can go missing when the heat is on - that said we have a few of those playing at the moment

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I don't mind Gresh in the middle but would prefer him forward as his primary role and pinching hitting thru the middle

But holy mother of Zeus can someone take him aside and teach him to run straight at the goals when he has a set shot

We definitely more speed and skill in our midfield - fingers crossed Bytel can provide extra bull grunt which we also need

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

List of 2021 free agents.

I wonder who we are targeting.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2021

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As long as we don't deal with Essendon!

The Bont, Cripps or Kelly - offer them SEEK!

Parker - give him Jayco!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

We need Hanners back in the side.

barneyboyz
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:32pm
Agreed.

The challenge is IMO we’re lacking the quality there.

My solution is to have more guys on the ground that can contribute vs (yes I’m a broken record)... FP types that get 7 touches a match.

Lonie is in bad form and I don’t rate Kent all that highly but have to respect the fact that he managed two goals and an assist from his 10 touches and that he has maintained this form.
SInclair should come in for Lonie IMO.

Don’t know what to do with Ross... atrocious last 2 weeks
Lonie has been getting under the skin of opposition, it shows when he gets pushed alot after contests so I say keep. We have never been good with both Dunstan and Ross in the side, but I'd swap them atm. Kent has brought his kicking boots this year, I like him. Clark needs to run through the middle more (or even try Coff), and I'd definitely be looking at Webster / Savage. Sincs ??? should have taken Acres' spot by now

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

It looks like Seb is doing a job for Ratts and it is appreciated (see TV vision of an exchange). Elephant in the midfield is B. Hill.

Where did all the love come from for Sinclair, its a while but I remember him as bog ordinary with occasional nice passes; being regularly towelled up by any opponent with speed and size. I agree that my memory is fading towards selective but was/is he really as hard at it as Seb?

We won didn't we - under tough conditions and withstood a damn strong comeback (unusual). That bonds the 22, be careful about messing with that. Now as for B. Hill.......

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I said to Lethers at the end of trade week last year we are one A grade midfileder short of a top 4 side.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:19am We need Hanners back in the side.
We most definitely agree on this. His vision opens up the game for the likes of Billings and Hill to tear the wings apart. And he still executes his skills brilliantly.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:03pm
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:19am We need Hanners back in the side.
We most definitely agree on this. His vision opens up the game for the likes of Billings and Hill to tear the wings apart. And he still executes his skills brilliantly.
f***. Now that IS a first. :wink: