Our forward line is why we MUST play two rucks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Our forward line is why we MUST play two rucks

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 8:18am
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:02am
The_President wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 1:15am Just because Ryder came out doesn’t mean we should’ve played Abbott. The two rucks have been working because Ryder is so dominant at the centre bounce (so far)

No guarantee that Abbott provides the same.

Additionally, Marshall looked cooked, more than a couple of times he didn’t even try and jump in the centre bounce, just tried to body straight away.
The issue as I see it Prez is that the 2 rucks formula has been at the core of the very successful game plan for the past month and to abandon this against one of the best teams in the comp just doesn't make sense.

Even if Ryan Abbott is no Paddy Ryder (he is 29 and played only 5 games in the seniors) just having him share the ruck work with Rowan Marshall, allowing the latter to play his great work around the ground including forward, would have had the team playing their familiar style of football - and there's no question that the players were beaten all over the park last Monday night.

This was a mighty stuff-up by the selectors and really disappointing when the team has been going so well.
It would have been an even mightier stuff up if Abbot was selected. We would have had the AFLs integrity uniti put us on watch for tanking.
What a s*** thing to say.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
kalsaint
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:58pm Why does King not lead towards the kicker?
Where is the bloke whose number he inherited to teach him where to run?
Roo did the same as King but had the endurance and speed to lure away 2 defenders (including Harry). When Saints delivery forward was poor (and it was for several of the latest years Roo played) Roo continually led to pockets and shot badly at goal. remember Roo going crook at Armo once for not kicking to him. I agreed with Armo at the time. Roo was too far into the pocket.
The big plus for Roo was his leadership and the ability to make things happen (thinking of that game in 2017 against Rance). His movement was awesome.
King needs time to adapt to the faster league. He also need to kick like his brother is too when the opportunity crops up. Nothing better than scoreboard pressure to keep the belief up in the whole team.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 6:09pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 8:18am
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 11:02am
The_President wrote: Wed 12 Aug 2020 1:15am Just because Ryder came out doesn’t mean we should’ve played Abbott. The two rucks have been working because Ryder is so dominant at the centre bounce (so far)

No guarantee that Abbott provides the same.

Additionally, Marshall looked cooked, more than a couple of times he didn’t even try and jump in the centre bounce, just tried to body straight away.
The issue as I see it Prez is that the 2 rucks formula has been at the core of the very successful game plan for the past month and to abandon this against one of the best teams in the comp just doesn't make sense.

Even if Ryan Abbott is no Paddy Ryder (he is 29 and played only 5 games in the seniors) just having him share the ruck work with Rowan Marshall, allowing the latter to play his great work around the ground including forward, would have had the team playing their familiar style of football - and there's no question that the players were beaten all over the park last Monday night.

This was a mighty stuff-up by the selectors and really disappointing when the team has been going so well.
It would have been an even mightier stuff up if Abbot was selected. We would have had the AFLs integrity uniti put us on watch for tanking.
What a s*** thing to say.
Two rucks were needed. I thought this was a bad move as soon as the teams were announced. I remember Dangerfield's comments at the end of the game discussing how Geelong had maintained their freshness. Using players less in their key roles was a key point. Geez we needed better control in the midfield without Zac Jones being there. Ryder was essential in my book. The exchange of the 2 rucks time was key to providing the freshness required for tapping and running skills that blew us away. I was also amazed that Membrey wasn't chucked into the middle given he wasn't overly competitive down forward. We needed big bodies there. Hes the same general size as Petracca (good gried, don't me started on Petracca again). Our wonderful past recruitment, phew.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
goods
Club Player

Ryder Marsall Zak Jones Steele Ross Bytel are essential at the Gabba. If you rest a player don't rest your on ballers if you are at the gabba. Clearace wins a goal. Simple, rest them elsewhere