Bytel.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bytel.

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:19pm He was handy today, he seems to make good decisions and he has good hands. But today he had zero kicks.
13 handballs, zero kicks, zero marks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I will actually spew up if someone posts he didn’t get a kick as if it’s a bad thing. His hands in close are elite.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Winmore
Club Player

Another solid showing. A possible final in his first season. Very promising.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:30pm I will actually spew up if someone posts he didn’t get a kick as if it’s a bad thing. His hands in close are elite.
He is very classy with his ball use and makes very good decisions most of the time. He tends to give the ball to team mates who are in good positions. He had one team mate today who was the exact opposite.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Very good in close especially when we were going well in the first 1.5 quarters

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

He is a keeper. Spot in the side is his to lose.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:30pm I will actually spew up if someone posts he didn’t get a kick as if it’s a bad thing. His hands in close are elite.
What a strange thing to say. When is zero kicks a good thing for a midfielder? Of course zero kicks is going to be discussed.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Clearly Jack Bytel isn't at AFL standard, but with injuries to Dan Hannebery and Jade Gresham, we don't have any other socks to pull up.

Ben Long is worse and must be dropped if someone is available. He seems to have no peripheral vision which is perhaps why almost every decision he makes is bad. A "speccy" leap every now and then is no substitute for ability.

Jarryn Geary will stay simply for loyalty reasons.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:50pm Clearly Jack Bytel isn't at AFL standard, but with injuries to Dan Hannebery and Jade Gresham, we don't have any other socks to pull up.

Ben Long is worse and must be dropped if someone is available. He seems to have no peripheral vision which is perhaps why almost every decision he makes is bad. A "speccy" leap every now and then is no substitute for ability.

Jarryn Geary will stay simply for loyalty reasons.
A kid in his first 2 games-You're being a little harsh I think.
As for the other two I don't think you're too far from the truth! :oops:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:38pm
What a strange thing to say. When is zero kicks a good thing for a midfielder? Of course zero kicks is going to be discussed.
No it’s not. He won the ball and gave it to the correct option.No u turns no desperate kicks just to pad stats. The kid is AFL ready and is a true mid fielder.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_President
Club Player

13 Disposals
5 Contested
3 Clearances
3 Score Involvements

Who cares if he didn't kick it.

Got it in close and found a teammate.

Reckon he's gonna be a jet for us over a long period of time.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Would rather him give it to a player in a better position than just repeatedly blindly shank it long over his shoulder 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
johnearljames
Club Player

Bytel has got very good hands. Very good.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can you imagine if Ritcho was still coach?

Coffield, Clark, Battle and Bytel would be playing scratch matches and instead we’d be seeing Weller, Newnes, Gilbert and Shenton playing.

Shenton comes on and his two scoring opportunities go out of bounds on the full. At the presser, Richo highlights how ”pleasing” it was to see Shenton get into a scoring position and that ”the young fella is going to be a real bewdy”.

Meanwhile in the seconds, Battle is kicking 10 every week and Bytel is getting 45 possessions but they’re not quite ready yet.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 7:38pm
That's what you take from it? You call it strange, yet you thank the poster. That is what I call strange if not mischievous.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:13pm Bytel has got very good hands. Very good.
Bytel has an extremely good football brain. His skill by hand is excellent, he released a lot of plays by his vision. Keep him in the middle, Billings, Hill, Battle and anyone else coming off the wing will be very thankful.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I really like him. Hope he keeps he’s spot for a while longer. Good decision maker who is holding his own against much bigger and more experienced players.

Impression here is that a number of forumites have no concept of what development is...
Some of this criticism is unbelievable. Steele, Coffield, Clarke, Billings, Ross, Marshall, Battle etc none of them just came in and looked perfect right away... they actually had to play and develop their games.

It’s the noticeable trend though isn’t... the forumites that thought playing underperforming Hickey, Longer, Weller, Newnes, Savage etc are also the ones that are criticising Bytel, Howard, Long etc for not being consistent super stars from day one.

It’s disturbing

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:34pm I really like him. Hope he keeps he’s spot for a while longer. Good decision maker who is holding his own against much bigger and more experienced players.

Impression here is that a number of forumites have no concept of what development is...
Some of this criticism is unbelievable. Steele, Coffield, Clarke, Billings, Ross, Marshall, Battle etc none of them just came in and looked perfect right away... they actually had to play and develop their games.

It’s the noticeable trend though isn’t... the forumites that thought playing underperforming Hickey, Longer, Weller, Newnes, Savage etc are also the ones that are criticising Bytel, Howard, Long etc for not being consistent super stars from day one.

It’s disturbing
Excellent observation skeptic.

This actually reveals one of two types, those that wished they'd played the game OR

Those that only wish to bait genuine supporters of the St Kilda F.C..

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Kid has ability and vision ....you can’t learn this ask Geary who constantly puts people under pressure
Sorry I’m over gifting games for “good blokes” Steele must be captain next year must be.

“Yeah….nah””
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:19pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 8:34pm I really like him. Hope he keeps he’s spot for a while longer. Good decision maker who is holding his own against much bigger and more experienced players.

It’s disturbing

This actually reveals one of two types, those that wished they'd played the game OR

Ironically you seem to follow posters around and niggle at them in a way that seems to be ignored by the mods with regards to the baiting rules. Here's a suggestion, as a genuine supporter, practice what you preach and avoid commenting on other posters. I'm hoping the mods take note and keep an eye on your posting style.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:54pm Kid has ability and vision ....you can’t learn this ask Geary who constantly puts people under pressure
Sorry I’m over gifting games for “good blokes” Steele must be captain next year must be.
If Geary can nurse a Bennell calf or Laurie Keane 2 weeks perhaps Seb can hold on tight to the VC & Steele grab the "C" and run to the promised Land!

"F" next year, I want it now!!!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 9:19pm

It’s disturbing

He's got some good attributes alright.

Nice size, strong body, already holding his own in close, really good hands.
His handball tonight reminded me of one Greame Gellie who had brilliant hands and was a very underrated player, cruelled by injury.

Looking forward to seeing a bit more of him live to look at his running and get a handle on his kicking.
After two games already looks a bargain for a 40's pick.

There are very few that have a Chris Judd or Joel Selwood impact of the AFL and most are a slow burn.

I wonder where Langlands is at?
Similar size and build to Bytel, looked strong and fit anjd a decent mover but kicking didn't appear near AFL standard.
Doesn't rate a mention as an emergency either.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Actually he has a touch of Sellwood about him...Joel doesn’t have an overwhelming penetrative kick and often release others by hand and is fearless (a head ducker too but let’s not go there..)
Bytel has similarities

“Yeah….nah””
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he's a fkn beauty. Obviously his first instinct is to handball, but he is quick, and hits his target.

On first impression, his movement and judgement around the contest is very good and his decision making is on point.

More games. He would probably be killing it at Sandy.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 16 Aug 2020 11:01pm I reckon he's a fkn beauty. Obviously his first instinct is to handball, but he is quick, and hits his target.

On first impression, his movement and judgement around the contest is very good and his decision making is on point.

More games. He would probably be killing it at Sandy.
Maybe 😉

Love it!

He'd be like that smart ar$e in Year 10 who smashed Year 12.